PDA

View Full Version : Predator calling for bears

Rattler
05-20-2020, 08:12 PM
So spent long weekend hunting bears and had a great timewith some buddies. It was exactly what I needed after a long winter dealingwith my separation. Getting divorced is something I wouldn’t wish on my worstenemy. Anyway enough of that and on to the hunt...

I have read that predator calling works for bears, butreally have never tried it until this past weekend. After spotting a smallbrown/blond phased black bear we worked our way over to where he last went inhopes of finding a larger chocolate we saw from night before. We set up and Itold my buddy to get ready. Now honking on them predator calls in this case arabbit distress call is hard on the ears...lol. I called for half a minute andno sooner had I put the call down I spotted this bear running right at us. Hestopped 50 yards from us and jumped up on a boulder and just looked around.After a good five minutes he caught our wind a bolted away. Very cool! ThoughtI would let others know this method works, but have your head on a swivel.

https://i.imgur.com/DJgxjoe.jpg

A bear I maybe should have shot:

https://i.imgur.com/wyQDcBy.jpg

Had a great hunt and passed on several bears...being toopicky I guess.

Fella
05-20-2020, 08:18 PM
Nice! Yeah I’ve had good results with predator calls. Actually had a gorgeous cinnamon coloured bear booking it away from me and turned it around using a pred call. Got it to within 20 yards.

and yeah, head on a swivel for sure and don’t do it in dense bush lol. Stupidly did that on an overgrown alder trail, bear stuck his head out of the bush at 6 yards.

Brambles
05-20-2020, 08:41 PM
So spent long weekend hunting bears and had a great timewith some buddies. It was exactly what I needed after a long winter dealingwith my separation. Getting divorced is something I wouldn’t wish on my worstenemy. Anyway enough of that and on to the hunt...

I have read that predator calling works for bears, butreally have never tried it until this past weekend. After spotting a smallbrown/blond phased black bear we worked our way over to where he last went inhopes of finding a larger chocolate we saw from night before. We set up and Itold my buddy to get ready. Now honking on them predator calls in this case arabbit distress call is hard on the ears...lol. I called for half a minute andno sooner had I put the call down I spotted this bear running right at us. Hestopped 50 yards from us and jumped up on a boulder and just looked around.After a good five minutes he caught our wind a bolted away. Very cool! ThoughtI would let others know this method works, but have your head on a swivel.

https://i.imgur.com/DJgxjoe.jpg

A bear I maybe should have shot:

https://i.imgur.com/wyQDcBy.jpg

Had a great hunt and passed on several bears...being toopicky I guess.

yeah you shoulda shot him...but...im not as picky...just want some bear burger.....bear burger goooood...

Firstblood
05-20-2020, 10:15 PM
Oh hot damn callin bears is fun. Stand up, dont sit. Cold calling works, just find fresh poop and start wailing away. You probably wont see 2/3 bears as those 2/3 will sneak in real close and figure out whats makin the racket, the 1/3 will literally just run right up to you. Shot my last called bear at 5 yds.

Krico
05-20-2020, 10:24 PM
ThoughtI would let others know this method works, but have your head on a swivel.

Yes sir, it does work very well and yes, keep your head on a swivel! I almost was eaten by a grizzly bear once using this method (fawn bleat call) and shot it at 7 yards just after it leapt over a snowbank into view.
Funny enough I just used one of his teeth to finish a necklace up today.

S.W.A.T.
05-20-2020, 10:49 PM
Are you using electric calls?

caddisguy
05-20-2020, 11:43 PM
I try calling a little bit here and there. Sometimes I'll blow on a piece of grass, or fawn distress call (sounds like all kinds of critter distress)

I've had does run up to me more than anything, but one time I did have a big old boar show up about 20 mins later. Not sure if it was from the call or not, but I always thought it was more than a coincidence.

Sounds like there can be some excitement and effectiveness in calling for sure.

Steeleco
05-21-2020, 04:57 AM

Most will know but some won't that electronic calls are Taboo in BC. FYI

I've had good success calling bears out I didn't even know were there, and others come running like a race house, both towards me and away LOL

S.W.A.T.
05-21-2020, 10:01 AM

I've had good success calling bears out I didn't even know were there, and others come running like a race house, both towards me and away LOL

I understand that electric calls are illegal in BC for hunting purposes. That's why I posed the question. I have never thought of calling for bears. I find it very difficult to mimic predator calls.

Ron.C
05-21-2020, 11:04 AM

Yep. I spend most of my bear hunting spotting, driving to another cut, spotting and repeat. If I dont find a bear while spotting, before moving on I always let out a call with my bear buster if its a huge area, or an whiny calf elk (primos ivory plate) call if a smaller area.

I started doing this for spring black bears after I acidentally got a Griz to stand up and reveal himself while blind calling up a slide for elk.

Ive since used a call many times and got a spring black bear that had remained out of sight to reveal himself in one way or another.

And dont forget to look behind you!!!!

dracb
05-21-2020, 11:46 AM
To quote the synopsis: "It is illegal: 34. To use recorded or electronic calls
to hunt wildlife except Wolf, Coyote,
Cougar, Lynx or bobcat or any bird listed
in Schedule C (see “What is Wildlife?”
Section)."

Krico
05-21-2020, 02:46 PM
Amazing what a fella can learn just by reading the regulations. What a novel idea.

Elkaholic
05-21-2020, 03:34 PM

Well I am fairly certain you can use electronic predator call in BC. Its unlawful to use them for anything other than Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Lynx, Bobcat or any bird listed in Schedule C. So to say that electronic calls are banned is not true. Took that word for word from page 15 of the regulations.

S.W.A.T.
05-21-2020, 05:49 PM
I don't think anyone is questioning the legal issues of the electric caller or even disputing the fact or questioning the regulations.

Rattler
05-21-2020, 08:45 PM

No I’m using a old fashioned hand rabbit distress call. Looks like a doe bleat tube.

landphil
05-21-2020, 11:32 PM
Looks exciting. Maybe not “chewin’ on your arm exciting” but who wants that again, right? Any idea how Grizz respond to the sounds of a bunny panic attack?

Rattler
05-22-2020, 07:16 AM
Looks exciting. Maybe not “chewin’ on your arm exciting” but who wants that again, right? Any idea how Grizz respond to the sounds of a bunny panic attack?

I would say the exact same way as a black bear...they would come right in looking for a meal.

Krico
05-22-2020, 07:29 AM

When I did it he came in full tilt. The image of that thing leaping over the snowbank at 10 metres is forever burned into my memory.

Exciting? Yes. Recommended? No.

They are an apex predator coming to what sounds like an easy meal.

PrecariousPhoto
05-25-2020, 01:22 AM
Inspired me to go out and get a predator call for this fall.

I’ve just been wandering around looking for them. This sounds way better.

Steeleco
05-25-2020, 05:03 AM
Well I am fairly certain you can use electronic predator call in BC. Its unlawful to use them for anything other than Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Lynx, Bobcat or any bird listed in Schedule C. So to say that electronic calls are banned is not true. Took that word for word from page 15 of the regulations.

Your right, my reference was to bears, should have been more clear!

Taurusguy
05-27-2020, 03:56 PM
A great bear call is a thick blade of grass... makes a scream like a hurt rabbit if you "whine" with it like a baby... "whaaa whaaa whaaaa".... called in a couple like that... calls in the ravens too for some reason... and coyotes lol... you can also make one out of popsicle sticks.... soak two popsicle sticks in water for an hour or so..then give them a slight bend and let dry.. then... get 1 wide elastic band and 2 small elastic bands.... use the wide band around one popsicle stick from end to end.... place the other popsicle stick on top of the one with the wide band around it and use the 2 smaller elastic bands to pinch and hold the ends together.... it then makes the blade of grass cry too only it wont rip on you when you wail on it like grass does.

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-27-2020, 04:23 PM
While not legal for hunting... I use the electronic (iphone) version for practising! There are apps with all sorts of good calls for predators, elc, ducks, etc... and I personally found it usefull to try to "mimic" the electronic version on my commute... Gives you something to do :-)

PrecariousPhoto
05-27-2020, 11:43 PM
My commute is from upstairs to downstairs at the moment. I feel like practicing my calf moose bawl on the way may not agree with my wife.

Good idea, though. Any particular apps folks find helpful?

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2020, 05:23 AM
Yes, someone should have dumped that first bear, Ken!!

Thick thru the front end....cool colour.....and cool experience!
Keep the second tag buried Deep in your pocket for that jaw-dropper.

Have tried calling bears a few times but zero success.
Off to bear camp today so it might be a good time to get back on the calling train if we find and area thick with good sign.

SSS

Rattler
05-28-2020, 09:16 PM
Yes, someone should have dumped that first bear, Ken!!

Thick thru the front end....cool colour.....and cool experience!
Keep the second tag buried Deep in your pocket for that jaw-dropper.

Have tried calling bears a few times but zero success.
Off to bear camp today so it might be a good time to get back on the calling train if we find and area thick with good sign.

SSS

That first bear wasn’t even a 5’er...lol. As I said earlier they are super deceiving. Agree very cool experience.