PDA

View Full Version : Deer/Moose hunt in region 5 & 7

Marc
10-13-2007, 11:35 PM
OK finally got back, unpacked and uploaded some picture. So here goes a recap of my trip to region 5 & 7.

Sept 31st we go for a drive to see if we can find a buck, we end up finding a poor crippled bear that Willyqbc decides to cancel his tag on as he didn’t plan on taking a bear this fall anyways.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Willyqbc_s_Michael_with_cripple_bear.JPG

October 1st I pass up on a pair of does with 2 fawns, that same morning I had this brown black bear sow and her two cubs walk on the road in front of me. Later that afternoon I managed to find this doe by herself and decided to fill the tag.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/LEH_Doe.JPG

October 2nd to the 4th pretty much uneventful with just seeing does and fawns, we did see a couple of moose in region 5 and this guy in region 7.

October 5th we were checking a block in region 5 after supper when I spotted what I thought for the longest time was just a doe. I was walking back and forth trying to find the buck the other two guys were seeing, all the time it was the same deer. This poor bugger had some kind of accident, not sure if he was struck by a vehicle or shot in the antler, he had a broken scull and you could move his antler around, must have been pretty painful for him. He had very little fat on him and probably would have not made the winter.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/buck_1.JPG

Not 30 minutes after I shot my first buck and had it in the truck Al (ALC) takes a nice bear down a steep hill that breaks a game carrier in 3 pieces before we get the bear to the truck.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Al_s_bear.JPG

Marc
10-13-2007, 11:47 PM
On the morning of the 6th in region 7 looking for another buck, it had just started to become legal daylight when Michael, Willyqbc's son notices a deer, I bail out of the truck and start loading the rifle while they identified the deer as a doe or as a buck. It's a buck and a nice two point at that. I make the shot and not 13 hours later I've got my second buck of the trip down and my third deer tag cut.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/buck_2_with_Michael.JPG

The 7th we headed out again, rained most of the morning, Had 3 coyotes stop for a look on a side spur. Took a shot and managed to take one at 220 yards with my 300 win mag using a 200 gr partitons. I don't think I have to go into detail how that caliber and weight of bullet performs on a coyote. I'm getting the head mounted by heads above the rest. Really nice looking dog.

Met up with 416 and his father in region 7 as they were trying to fill his LEH bull tag. Had a great time hunting and just talking around camp. Always great to get to meet and talk with more members.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Moose_hunt_picture.JPG

Here is a bull I managed to see a week earlier before we realized that 416 was in the area looking for a bull.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/moose_bull.JPG

Marc
10-13-2007, 11:50 PM
The afternoon of the 11th Oldtimer and I decide to take a break from all the traffic of region 7 and spend the afternoon looking for a meat buck or bear for him in region 5. Here is just some of the 11 deer(flattops) we saw that afternoon.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/5_deer.JPG

Marc
10-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Hmm forgot to add this picture of tha nice brown black bear Sow and her two brown cubs that walked up on the road in front of me the morning of the 1st of October.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3_brown_phase_bears.JPG

srupp
10-14-2007, 12:24 AM
great read and wonderful photos...that Willy is always around when a bear hits the ground..lol

Steven

BCrams
10-14-2007, 12:50 AM
A great hunt and a great time!!

Will
10-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Did you Folks run out of ammo.......:biggrin::wink:

Great Trip, Congrats to all ! 8)

Woodrow
10-14-2007, 01:46 AM
jeez sounds like a good trip, congrats

Jetboat
10-14-2007, 04:37 AM
Looks like a great time was had by all :D Thanks for the story & pic's.

BlacktailStalker
10-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Sounds like a good time Marc, glad everything panned out after the mishaps before you made it up there.
You might need a few cinder blocks to keep that deepfreeze closed tight :)
Nice animals. Good looking colour phase sow and cubs.
No coyote picture ?

3kills
10-14-2007, 05:28 AM
nice pics marc congrarts...lets hope i have that kinda luck when i m up there

StoneChaser
10-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Great pics and story...congrats!

That second buck you killed sure has a solid carcass on him...nice buck.

I'm glad I kept reading, for the first few kills I was beginning to wonder if you guys were only interested in shooting cripples and gimps (grin).

rollingrock
10-14-2007, 07:18 AM
;)Was Bill Clinton with you guys?

gameslayer
10-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Looks like fun, Congrats on your animals. Good idea camping on the border of 2 regions.

bighornbob
10-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Marc

How did the pack perform??

BHB

Phil
10-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Good job on a successful and memorable trip!

paraschost
10-14-2007, 08:37 AM
sounds like good times

Steeleco
10-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Well done, looks like a fine 2 weeks away for us all!!!!

BCJunior
10-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Beautiful pictures and sounded like you had a good time, congratz on the animals. Cheers!

Marc
10-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Yah I kind of goofed up on not taking a coyote picture. By the end of the hunt I was getting tired and started missing the small things like taking pictures, the second buck picture was taken in Willyqbc's back yard. The coyote was in the freezer before I even thought about taking any pictures.

This trip is not one I'll soon forget... Awesome people and hospitality, lots of critters to look at. I just wish one of those wolves that were howling all morning would have given me a peak. Would have loved to get a crack at one of them.

As far as running out of ammo I used 5 rounds on 4 animals. One was a shot to the neck as a finisher as it laid on the ground. Other then the mess I made with the doe I'm impressed with the performance of the 200 gr partition. We figure I must have hit a twig on that one.

I had brought two coolers with me for the trip, never expected to have 3 deer on the ground. So the evening before I left I went to Wallmart and picked up a 54 liter cooler expecting it to be enough. Well, the next morning I'm loading up all the meat that was already butchered and frozen,. Hmm the 3 coolers are full and I've still got a lot more in the deep freeze. I search Willyqbc's shop for a foam cooler but no such luck. Then I notice he's got a nice big blue one on his front deck. :biggrin: I wonder if he's noticed it missing yet... He was out moose hunting that morning with his father and Michael. Sam gave me permission if you're just figuring this out for the first time. :mrgreen:

newhunterette
10-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Welcome Home Marc

Very glad to see you had a beautiful time and very successful trip harvesting - it was nice to hear little tidbits from you along the way and I am so happy u stayed safe

Great story as well as really nice photos

Ali

Marc
10-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Great pics and story...congrats!

That second buck you killed sure has a solid carcass on him...nice buck.

I'm glad I kept reading, for the first few kills I was beginning to wonder if you guys were only interested in shooting cripples and gimps (grin).

We were surprised at how big of a body both of the two points had actually. They must of had a good year for growth.

I was starting to wonder myself after the second cripple, it just goes to show how many animals are killed or maimed by traffic. The crippled buck was a good kilometer or two from the highway, unless a logging truck clipped him.

ruger#1
10-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Sounds like you had fun. Trips up north are always good.I will be heading out soon , for pheasant, quail and deer. the weather is getting cooler and the bucks are ready.

weatherby 49
10-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Marc.was great to bump into you at the ferry terminal.Awesome photos and stories from your trip.
Take care,and look forward to meeting with you for coffee again

Dragginbait
10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Marc have you got a tag left for anything? or are you going to pass on Cowichan this Nov. long weekend ? BTW congrats on a great trip.

Bow Walker
10-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Welcome home Marc...........how many pms and emails were waiting for you??

Marc
10-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Welcome home Marc...........how many pms and emails were waiting for you??

The PM's I was able to keep on top of by checking the site but when I got home I had to filter through 450 email :-|.

Marc
10-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I've got a bear tag open but I probably won't cut it as my freezer can't handle it. :lol:

I might just hunt with my camera from here on in and take a poke at a wolf if one presents itself. I'll probably try for a cat later in the winter.

Marc have you got a tag left for anything? or are you going to pass on Cowichan this Nov. long weekend ? BTW congrats on a great trip.

houndogger
10-15-2007, 05:20 AM
Awesome trip. Thanks for the pics:cool:

Marc
10-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Marc

How did the pack perform??

BHB

BHB the pack worked awesome. I never packed anything out with it but I had it as a day pack when I shot my doe, had my camera and tripod handy for the picture and It was so much easier trying to drag the animal out with the rifle in the pack then slung across your back. I also made good use of the hydration pack that came with it. I did a couple of 3-5 km trecks with it and overall I'm quite pleased. I'm going to do some weekend spike camp trecks on the Island with it over the winter and see how it feels.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/just_one.JPG

Bow Walker
10-15-2007, 10:20 AM
The PM's I was able to keep on top of by checking the site but when I got home I had to filter through 450 email :-|.
I move to Sooke at the beginning of the month and was offline (afk) for 4 days. When I got back online there were 1389 'new' posts waiting for me. :eek:

Took a while to catch up. :roll: