PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Hunting Season

Arctic Lake
05-13-2020, 07:53 PM
So what are your thoughts about the upcoming season in regards to travelling to other parts of B.C.
to hunt ? As there still as far as I know no definition of what Local is . Are you guy’s still going to risk applying for an LEH hunt if you don’t hunt with family ?
Arctic Lake

ryanb
05-13-2020, 08:00 PM
A lot can happen in 4-5 months, either way...

adriaticum
05-13-2020, 08:03 PM
I will go where I go as usual.
Fishing, hunting.
Pandemic BS won't affect my travel plans.

browningboy
05-13-2020, 08:12 PM
I’m just going where I usually go, if I’m self sufficient and only stop for gas? Like for shiet shakes have more chances going to grocery store or costco!

srthomas75
05-13-2020, 08:17 PM
we plan on going where we normally go. same group of guys too.

Iron Glove
05-13-2020, 08:30 PM
No changes in plans.
Might be interesting if at our Annual Thanksgiving Hunt my Son, Son and Law and myself each have to ride in our own trucks. :confused:

Treed
05-13-2020, 08:43 PM
I’m being blocked from working in the bush north of Smithers, hope there aren’t road blocks setup for hunters. I’ll hunt down south.

boxhitch
05-13-2020, 08:59 PM
"I’m being blocked from working in the bush north of Smithers.........."

whats that all about? indigens? c-19?

srupp
05-13-2020, 09:33 PM
Hmmm all my LEH aplications are local in my region..5..
except..spenses bridge.dare to dream..
I think everyone should stick to the region they live in so I can get a LEH..LOL
good luck to all.
Srupp

whitlers
05-13-2020, 10:10 PM
Alot can happen in a few months. I plan on going to the usual spots. If everyone is just smart about it there is no issue.

Ltbullken
05-14-2020, 09:11 AM
Other than stopping for gas, I am self-contained. There is no risk in that. Every gas station is cleaning the handles and card surfaces anyway... or should be. But bring your own wipes, clean before and after, and sanitizing lotion for hands after. Good to go.

Yuritau
05-14-2020, 09:43 AM
I hunt pretty locally anyways, so no change in plans. It'll be interesting, though, seeing how the next waves change peoples' attitudes.

Bugle M In
05-14-2020, 11:20 AM
Hmmm all my LEH aplications are local in my region..5..
except..spenses bridge.dare to dream..
I think everyone should stick to the region they live in so I can get a LEH..LOL
good luck to all.
Srupp

I have to ask, as I am about to figure out and submit my LEH tonite.
Is it "true"??? that we can only apply, or will be only possible to win in our region????
Someone said if I apply for a moose leh in R4 that because I live in the LM, I will have 0% chance of winning.

Hoping someone can confirm this.

Honestly, if I get sick, or start to, I would drive home anyway.
And I would be on the mainland, self contained with a family member as is asked right now.
Doesn't make sense to shut it down like that.
I can understand mainlanders staying on the mainland and vice versa.

Anyways, what's the news on winning outside of ones own Region???

IronNoggin
05-14-2020, 11:25 AM
... Is it "true"??? that we can only apply, or will be only possible to win in our region????
Someone said if I apply for a moose leh in R4 that because I live in the LM, I will have 0% chance of winning.

To my knowledge, that has not been stated anywhere.
Although I would not put anything past the Idjuts in Victoria these days...

Nog

pg83
05-14-2020, 11:52 AM
I have to ask, as I am about to figure out and submit my LEH tonite.
Is it "true"??? that we can only apply, or will be only possible to win in our region????

Hoping someone can confirm this.

Honestly, if I get sick, or start to, I would drive home anyway.
And I would be on the mainland, self contained with a family member as is asked right now.
Doesn't make sense to shut it down like that.
I can understand mainlanders staying on the mainland and vice versa.

Phone up the gov't and get an official response instead of relying on random folks on the internet. I'm fairly certain there would have been something mentioned officially if what you heard from "someone" was in fact the truth.

I have put in for all my usual draws regardless of where they are in the province and will practice common sense in my travels to and from those areas if I am drawn.

blacklab
05-14-2020, 12:14 PM
I’m just going where I usually go, if I’m self sufficient and only stop for gas? Like for shiet shakes have more chances going to grocery store or costco!

I don't think any body is worried about 604s catching the flu in the interior. The fear is bringing it into smaller communities with limited health care facilities.
As an X member of the 604s ( left in 74 never looked back) I know how important that annual hunting trip can be.
I think I'd take my chances.

triggerhappy
05-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Hunting and fishing are essential activities so travelling to do them is essential travel. I will be doing nothing different this year then previous years. Besides, I come into contact with more people at my local grocery store then I would on a hunting trip.

TimberPig
05-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Hunting and fishing are essential activities so travelling to do them is essential travel. I will be doing nothing different this year then previous years. Besides, I come into contact with more people at my local grocery store then I would on a hunting trip.
As in the post above, the concern isn’t for you catching it while on your trip, the concern is you bringing it with you and passing it on while travelling to/from, or getting sick and overloading more limited health care resources of smaller communities.
it is about keeping the smaller communities safe from infected individuals travelling in from larger centres.

whitlers
05-14-2020, 03:05 PM
As in the post above, the concern isn’t for you catching it while on your trip, the concern is you bringing it with you and passing it on while travelling to/from, or getting sick and overloading more limited health care resources of smaller communities.
it is about keeping the smaller communities safe from infected individuals travelling in from larger centres.

I would agree with this if the number of cases were much much higher but given the fact that the confirmed cases in BC are extremely low given the total population I dont see the issue. As long as people travel safe, smart and maintain social distancing then what's the issue. We are also talking about months from now.

Bugle M In
05-14-2020, 05:34 PM
Phone up the gov't and get an official response instead of relying on random folks on the internet. I'm fairly certain there would have been something mentioned officially if what you heard from "someone" was in fact the truth.

I have put in for all my usual draws regardless of where they are in the province and will practice common sense in my travels to and from those areas if I am drawn.

Yup, when it comes to hunting and wildlife in BC, I am really not happy with the NDP.
For what its worth, I will apply as I normally do.

Also, as many of us would now prepare for fishing season, I don't see why many of our favorite spots cant be open.
The one spot at camping where iw could see a concern is the "shithouse".
So, chain around it and put a lock on it.
Hell, there are so may folks now with there 30ft + trailers that have a can in them, they don't need the local pit stop hut.
And for those, like me that don't have one onboard, we could always go out and purchase a "privacy tent" with a port a can inside, as some folks
already do.

Other then that issue, we keep self distancing and stick to family and all should be good.
That's how I would run it going forward.

TimberPig
05-14-2020, 08:29 PM
I would agree with this if the number of cases were much much higher but given the fact that the confirmed cases in BC are extremely low given the total population I dont see the issue. As long as people travel safe, smart and maintain social distancing then what's the issue. We are also talking about months from now.
The majority of the cases, along with the majority of the population of BC (and a major portion of the hunters ) live in the lower mainland, making anyone travelling from there a higher risk of carrying the virus.

Months from now we could be seeing second or even third waves of the pandemic, so it is pretty hard to guess either way on if it will be a good plan or even allowed to travel as you normally would.

These factors are why the request to stay closer to home and if everyone ignores it and does what they please it could make the situation worse and restrictions could tighten. This isn’t about each of us individually but the good of the majority of the population.

quadrakid
05-14-2020, 08:58 PM
I plan on staying on Vancouver Island. I hear they are giving all of us islanders elk tags so we do not stray too far.

northof49
05-14-2020, 10:23 PM
So what are your thoughts about the upcoming season in regards to travelling to other parts of B.C.
to hunt ? As there still as far as I know no definition of what Local is . Are you guy’s still going to risk applying for an LEH hunt if you don’t hunt with family ?
Arctic Lake

Jeeez...let it go already. Thought we went over this already

snipersights
05-15-2020, 10:10 AM
It’s my first year going to the mainland late September. Covid 19 can eat shit I’m sick of all this paranoia I’m just going to go.

Yuritau
05-15-2020, 10:58 AM

The case count is low because people have been staying home and physical distancing etc. Fall season may be months from now.. but it's also kinda perfectly timed to be during wave 2 of the virus, which will in all likelihood be phenomenally worse than the first wave, because people are stupid.

Rob Chipman
05-15-2020, 11:24 AM
It's fall in Australia now. They should be having the possible second wave, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

I think the fact is that we really don't know that there will be a second wave and we're getting conflicting info on how it spreads, etc.

Gives the "novel" in "novel corona virus" more meaning. As others have said - a few months will make a big difference in what we know and that will effect policy.

whitlers
05-15-2020, 02:02 PM
The case count is low because people have been staying home and physical distancing etc. Fall season may be months from now.. but it's also kinda perfectly timed to be during wave 2 of the virus, which will in all likelihood be phenomenally worse than the first wave, because people are stupid.

Time will tell. In the meantime I will continue to plan for the fall and enjoy my life as such. I for one am not going to live in fear over this.

Bugle M In
05-15-2020, 04:39 PM
Saw a graph today, not sure how accurate or true it was, but it was on the Spanish flu of 1918-1919, and the 2nd wave, which came in the fall, Sept-Oct,
way surpassed the 1st wave in infection.
Problem is, not everyone is on the same page, whether it be in other countries or even here.

Hell, I saw 3 teen girls passing a doobie around, multiple times, and I can assure you, they aint related.

Somehow, I doubt hunting comes anywhere close to people getting "too close together".
Been at the Canadian Tire recently around Vancouver????
It's a free for all and people have totally forgotten "social distancing"!

2nd wave aint going to be because of hunting.
But I think the 2nd wave is going to make hunting near impossible....imo.

Maglic
05-16-2020, 08:52 AM
Hell, I saw 3 teen girls passing a doobie around, multiple times, and I can assure you, they aint related.

Somehow, I doubt hunting comes anywhere close to people getting "too close together".
Been at the Canadian Tire recently around Vancouver????
It's a free for all and people have totally forgotten "social distancing"!

2nd wave aint going to be because of hunting.
But I think the 2nd wave is going to make hunting near impossible....imo.

Very true,
and now we should ask why we got only 15 cases of COVID yesterday and most of those case were in Langley Lodge?
It does not make any sense to just read official data or graphs.
IMO simple logic/math would tell you that this virus is/should be spread more evenly all across community but we only hear of handful cases: poultry farm, prison, senior home etc.
IN other words we are much more infected than official numbers.

Regarding hunting, we all know that hunters are well prepared and carry enough supply so we do not represent any real danger to spread the virus. Most of us need only gas, and every station has paper towels just grab one an use it for handle and payment.
Most likely virus to rural community is spread via either those returning from the trip or supply of goods, neither case it is a hunter, so no need to blame us.

Finally IMO second wave will never come, humans are not natural host to COVID-19 and the virus is already losing the battle. We may get cases and clusters but not pandemic.

happy hunting season :)

randymac
05-17-2020, 07:18 AM
Between my son and me we have gotten about 5 moose draws in the same area in the last 12 years so yes, we will be putting in for Leh in our traditional hunting grounds again this year.

Yuritau
05-19-2020, 08:26 AM
Time will tell. In the meantime I will continue to plan for the fall and enjoy my life as such. I for one am not going to live in fear over this.

Why do people keep equating "being aware of possibilities and their implications" with "living in fear"?

Arctic Lake
05-19-2020, 08:33 AM
That’s a good point ! To me the word FEAR means life harming, dangerous , but that’s just me .
Arctic Lake

Why do people keep equating "being aware of possibilities and their implications" with "living in fear"?

Ron.C
05-19-2020, 09:50 AM
I put in for a goat hunt across the province. There is currently no orders precluding doing so. I like most hope thing normalize by then and have pleanty of time to consider my options.

That said, I could always draw a second Island Rosie tag in three years. That would do nicely as well.

whitlers
05-19-2020, 10:30 AM

That's a good question. I guess it comes down to how the media has portrayed COVID and in many instances had used 'fear' tactics around the issue.

Bubbacanuck
05-19-2020, 01:50 PM
Business as usual! Nothing has changed in my life

john-brennan
05-19-2020, 06:42 PM
I have the same plans as last year it would be nice to get one of my draws it's been a while.