PDA

View Full Version : Upper Pitt River Elk- Questions

browningboy
05-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Hey I think (wish) I'm getting this draw this year, I used to own a jet boat and been up many times in the river system only (Never off the beaches), now what I'm thinking is getting a water taxi of sort to take our gear plus my tracker up there, I know it won't be cheap but does anyone have any names of people that will barge up there? Also does anyone know if there's any cabin rentals or can you rent space at the lodge? We could tent but that area gets a lot of rain so I would rather not tent if that can be helped, so anyone have any info that would be great!
The crankers coming out of that valley would be what dreams are made of, good luck to the others that applied.

elch jager
05-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Call Danny Gerak at the lodge... he can probably guide you right up to one as well.
Maybe even tie one to a tree and have him waiting for you when you get there...

116:1 odds... good luck

Sharpish
05-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Don't waste too much time planning until you get the draw!

limit time
05-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Good luck ... but I’m getting that one !!

browningboy
05-12-2020, 12:14 PM
Call Danny Gerak at the lodge... he can probably guide you right up to one as well.

I sent an email to the lodge, they asked for dates.... so I told them I would get back to them end of June if successful! (Fingers crossed!)

browningboy
05-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Good luck ... but I’m getting that one !!

There's more than the one draw, so you can have one too! :razz:

Bugle M In
05-12-2020, 01:42 PM
When my hunting partners son got the draw, he looked into getting a taxi/barge to take gear up like his quads.
He said it would cost over 600$, and if i remember correctly, one way (could be wrong on that).

We got to know a couple of the people there, as they were all hanging around the docks when we went up scouting one time.
From there, he got to know someone to stay there.

Oh ya, i already am in line ahead of you for that tag!!!!

Guy that runs the lodge isnt overly liked by most of the residents, at least the one's that hunt up there.
Wont get into more on that whole situation, but there is more issues.
Anyways, my buddy spent time at a residents for the week.
Took his own boat up, and got to use the fellows old pickup while hunting up there!
So, there are some great folks in the area, but you have to take time to meet them, let them get to know you, and let them know you have the draw.

After that, you need to be able to travel "possibly" for 20+ kms, looking for elk, or anywhere in between.
Thats another story.

Bugle M In
05-12-2020, 01:44 PM
Send me a pm when you have time.
I will have to look into the names where my buddy stayed.
But wont give it out publicly.

browningboy
05-12-2020, 01:50 PM
When my hunting partners son got the draw, he looked into getting a taxi/barge to take gear up like his quads.
He said it would cost over 600$, and if i remember correctly, one way (could be wrong on that).

We got to know a couple of the people there, as they were all hanging around the docks when we went up scouting one time.

Guy that runs the lodge isnt overly liked by most of the residents, at least the one's that hunt up there.
Took his own boat up, and got to use the fellows old pickup while hunting up there!
So, there are some great folks in the area, but you have to take time to meet them, let them get to know you, and let them know you have the draw.

After that, you need to be able to travel "possibly" for 20+ kms, looking for elk, or anywhere in between.
Thats another story.

Thanks for the feedback, I've heard several sides about the lodge owner, but anyways I think the draw would have some adventure built in comparison to just drive up somewhere etc. The area would just be cool to visit, probably be like a time capsule? I did get in touch with a water taxi that has a barge, be $600.00 each way like you say, steep but worth it for that draw! Just getting to explore that area alone would be super cool!

limit time
05-12-2020, 03:34 PM
There's more than the one draw, so you can have one too! :razz:
If you do get it. I may know someone that can help.

sako79
05-12-2020, 04:01 PM

A customer of our got two draws up on pitt Lake last year they used Danny and it cost $3,000 return for two trucks and their gear to be barged there

northof49
05-12-2020, 04:35 PM
I sent an email to the lodge, they asked for dates.... so I told them I would get back to them end of June if successful! (Fingers crossed!)

LOL....love the optimism.....been waiting almost 30yrs now to get a Rosy draw. Good luck!!

browningboy
05-12-2020, 06:17 PM
LOL....love the optimism.....been waiting almost 30yrs now to get a Rosy draw. Good luck!!

I hear ya, been putting in for bison since 1995 and nothing so trying to be positive!
This has to be the year!

pconpcs
06-19-2020, 09:01 AM
Browningboy, If no success on the Elk draw, would you entertain going up there for Mule Deer instead?

Sharpish
06-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Browningboy, If no success on the Elk draw, would you entertain going up there for Mule Deer instead?

Blacktail only in that area!

dracb
06-19-2020, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=Bugle M In;2174204]When my hunting partners son got the draw, he looked into getting a taxi/barge to take gear up like his quads.

Thats another story.[END QUOTE]

I would bet most of the elk taken in the Pitt are harvested within 5 or 6 km of the dock. Do some scouting before you decide what you have to take in.

limit time
06-19-2020, 07:51 PM
I’ll make sure to post pics of my elk :)

Arctic Lake
06-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Do some people live up there besides the lodge owners ? I saw a massive elk in the back of a trailered jet boat in Maple Ridge one year . I think it was that fella Brian Cummings driving the tow vehicle but not positive .

I have seem some awesome bucks taken out of the Upper Pitt ! I would love to be able to hunt up there but it’s all about the access !
Arctic Lake

Blacktail only in that area!

Bugle M In
06-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Brian is a good fellow to speak to if you get the draw.

Also, yes, elk can be found close to the peer.
But, the FN get in there before the Resident winner of the tag.
So, that "easy bull" is usually gone!.

Yes, the elk can be close, but remember, a few clicks up is private property, you need permission.
After that, there is some more open room.
I am just saying, you may have to travel farther then you think, and by foot or mtn bike, can make it a long day.

Yes, unless you take the lodges offer, 3000.00 and vehicles.
Otherwise, you need boat that can take dirt bikes or quads up.
Ad barging "isn't cheap" either.

Just so everyone knows, it is a challenge on how to hunt up there, if you don't have the proper equipment.
Then you need "$$$$".

gamer
06-20-2020, 01:13 PM
Few years ago when I was looking into it a local fishing guide said it was around $1000 to barge a vehicle one way. Not sure who he used.

I also saw a small jet boat with a large elk in it driving down Harris road either last year or the one before. Very jealous of anybody that can afford to or that gets to hunt in there.

TyTy
06-20-2020, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=Bugle M In;2174204]When my hunting partners son got the draw, he looked into getting a taxi/barge to take gear up like his quads.

Thats another story.[END QUOTE]

I would bet most of the elk taken in the Pitt are harvested within 5 or 6 km of the dock. Do some scouting before you decide what you have to take in.

i doubt that as the first 9km are mostly private land right of the FSR. Once your past Courbold creek, game on

Arctic Lake
06-20-2020, 01:50 PM
Do they still log up there ? Has anyone on here hunted deer up there ?
Arctic Lake

limit time
06-20-2020, 04:11 PM
Do they still log up there ? Has anyone on here hunted deer up there ?
Arctic Lake

lots of logging and never really see deer. Bear and elk yes....once the water drops, boat access up the river get pretty slim. You defiantly need a boat you don’t give a shit about.

Ride Red
06-20-2020, 04:33 PM
I’ve had my fish to the second canyon when everyone turns around at the big split. It’s a river to be careful on, but you don’t need to beat your boat if you pay attention. Certain times of the year it’s not boatable cause there’s no water, but fall usually is ok.

If I get the draw, I may have room for another person to hunt as well.

Arctic Lake
06-20-2020, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the information !
Arctic Lake

lots of logging and never really see deer. Bear and elk yes....once the water drops, boat access up the river get pretty slim. You defiantly need a boat you don’t give a shit about.

Bugle M In
06-21-2020, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=dracb;2182143]

i doubt that as the first 9km are mostly private land right of the FSR. Once your past Courbold creek, game on

The first few km's are okay, but you have to watch for people and logging trucks.
Around the first bridge, just after that point, 5km?? or so, there is some private land.
Then after that, there are a few points to watch out for etc.
So, lots of room to hunt, but I also know some of the elk seen where further back, 15km or so, by my buddy who's son got the tag and success a few years back.
I didn't go that far when scouting and didn't go on the actual hunt.

Bugle M In
06-21-2020, 02:07 PM

I think more than a few jet boats have been lost up there, so yes, be careful.
It's not an easy river to navigate at times I am told.
Some deer in peoples yards, but I think you have to go higher up.
I think the road with the gate on it is where many of the locals went and why they are so pissed off about that gate.
(because a few still have the key...hmmmm?)

Bugle M In
06-21-2020, 02:11 PM
For anyone who applies and wins, I found there were a few great individuals on HBC that sent pm's to help.
So, don't feel like people wont help.

I know some say "why apply for a hunt you know nothing about and then ask others for intel".
Personally, this is such a limited hunt, a once in a lifetime for anyone who wins, why wouldn't others help those folks out???
3 tags a year for Resident!, why not help.

Remember, the FN have tags as well.
So, by not giving intel, hoping to win a tag you may never win in your life, is ridiculous, as someone is going to drop those bulls!!
I would rather it be an HBC member...imo.

ovvsla
06-21-2020, 07:44 PM
Whats access like trying to get up there with a kayak and an electric fat bike?

weatherbyjunkie
06-21-2020, 08:13 PM
Whats access like trying to get up there with a kayak and an electric fat bike?

it’s great!

stuffrider147
06-22-2020, 06:58 AM
Bike lanes and kayak karts all over the place.

browningboy
06-22-2020, 08:28 AM
Like I said I got the draw!!! I can't wait!!! I would post it but don't know how! Man time to do some planning!!!

browningboy
06-22-2020, 08:53 AM
Send me a pm when you have time.
I will have to look into the names where my buddy stayed.
But wont give it out publicly.

Morning, well hate to say but I got the draw! Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers Bernie

Shane.K
06-22-2020, 02:52 PM
i got the draw as well. I've never been to that area, so I will also need to do a lot of planning. PM me if you want to discuss

RyoTHC
06-22-2020, 03:17 PM
i got the draw as well. I've never been to that area, so I will also need to do a lot of planning. PM me if you want to discuss

how about an introduction post sir ? Seems suiting.. then I’m sure there’s lots of people that would love to help!

Shane.K
06-22-2020, 03:29 PM
will do. thank you

Weatherby Fan
06-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Morning, well hate to say but I got the draw! Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers Bernie

You got the draw but did you tell them why you got the draw ;)

KevB
06-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Was up the river to the second canyon fishing a week ago and there was elk tracks all over every bar we stopped on. Was thinking the entire time how awesome it would be to have a draw up there. Good luck

Ride Red
06-22-2020, 04:47 PM
Was up the river to the second canyon fishing a week ago and there was elk tracks all over every bar we stopped on. Was thinking the entire time how awesome it would be to have a draw up there. Good luck
How high was the water? Was it clean?

REMINGTON JIM
06-22-2020, 05:58 PM
Like I said I got the draw!!! I can't wait!!! I would post it but don't know how! Man time to do some planning!!!

Excellent B Boy ! Hope you get a trip PUT together :biggrin: RJ

walks with deer
06-22-2020, 07:12 PM
glad to see you posting papa jim...was gonna start a warm thoughts thread but will hang tight.

browningboy
06-22-2020, 11:40 PM
You got the draw but did you tell them why you got the draw ;)

Sorry I didn’t, well Don reached out for a number for a person, then said he threw in 50 bucks for LEH luck for me for my elk, I thanked him and said I would buy him scotch if it happened, today it happened, Don wants wine instead!
Don you’re the best!

Leaseman
06-23-2020, 07:12 AM
Excellent B Boy ! Hope you get a trip PUT together :biggrin: RJ

If anyone can get a trip put together, it is Bernie!

Happy for you buddy!

KevB
06-23-2020, 07:24 AM
How high was the water? Was it clean?

Water was fairly high when we were there, river was moving good you'd want someone experienced at the controls. Water wasn't clean but very fishable

barongan
06-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Don't waste too much time planning until you get the draw!
very nice..https://babang.xyz/assets/10/o.png

browningboy
06-23-2020, 12:12 PM
If anyone can get a trip put together, it is Bernie!

Happy for you buddy!

Thanks Mike, appreciate it! Looking forward to it, just starting to plan some stuff out!

browningboy
07-01-2020, 12:26 AM
Getting lots of info off some members here, thanks! I also spoke with Brian and he’s pretty tuned in for up there for sure! I’ll have to drop by his place to chat some more, my buddies are excited, will be awesome!