PDA

View Full Version : Bighorns

Frosty
10-13-2007, 04:31 PM
My buddy and I went hunting in region 5 along the fraser looking for the elusive full curl. We ended up seeing about 40 ish sheep, but whenever we'd spot a group of sheep, all that was with them were small rams. Where would the big rams be?. When do they rut?. What would be a few tips for the newbie to keep his eyes open for when hunting sheep along the fraser? Thanks

srupp
10-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Frosty the class "4" rams along our region of the Fraser are loners this time of the year..rutting comes after the season ends..the sheep here have 2 ranges..not the 4 ranges of the stones...the summer range for these rams ar higher than the winter ranges when they drop down along the breaks of the FRASER river..

These sheep have been hunted and pushed hard for years and it is MOST COMMON for the big old boyz to have spotted you and done one of 2 things one they may pull a crazey Ivan and head into the steep cliffs along the Fraser river..but for the past 10 years have resorted to going into the pockets of trees that can be found....steep terrrain with trees hold the older and bigger rams...during the summer and hot fall they will be on the uphill side of something that can hide them or breakup their out line..a low juniper under a big fir tree...or pine..

where they7 can get some cooling breezes..a big old ram has a much harder time cooing down because of size than does a ewe..

Another favorite haunt is along a creek on a hill side..can be 5 degrees cooler...

Look on a "middle bench " not the low benches easily accessable by boats..and not on the rolling top where you will find the bucks this time of year..mid way ON A STEEP section where these rams feel most secure..

send me a PM....seems to me I seen several lately while deer hunting..

Steven

Gamebuster
10-13-2007, 05:09 PM
....seems to me I seen several lately while deer hunting...

You've seen several full curl bighorns in Region 5 this yr?

srupp
10-13-2007, 09:32 PM
yes ...10 full curl in 4 completely different locations...80% of Calies have dies off up here but there ARE POCKETS......

Steven

David Heitsman
10-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't have complete details yet but I believe that a new world record bighorn has hit the ground right near the Empire Valley Ranch. You will hear about it in the next couple weeks ahead. I am still getting details
sent to me as to who the fortunate hunter was. Stay tuned. Actually someone will probably beat me to it on posting the details.

MattB
10-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Dude, take a look at the recent pics...you're the one missing out!:lol:

srupp
10-14-2007, 12:28 AM
The BIG cali shot was indeed impressive..but there are STILL one or two big boyz out there... one for sure that wont be 43 " but will hold his mass better the entire way out..looks like a Spences Bridge Rocky mntn ram...

And another pocket of 5 rams..on one "hill" that 4 of them will make book..so they are STILL out there..

Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
10-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Here you go Dave.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15778

Apparently this monster was with another really heavy broomed ram that they were trying to tell if he was legal when .............................................well, let's just say they didn't get him.....................:roll:

SSS

David Heitsman
10-14-2007, 08:30 AM
I glanced back thru the HBC pages and missed the posts on this one.
I am just looking thru some of the biologist's emails to me and putting things together. Congrats are due that's for sure.