PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Inreach

srupp
05-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Is there someone out there that I can talk with about these units..real world experiences ?
please send a PM with phone number / time I can call ?

Thank you in advance
Srupp

leftfield
05-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Looking for info as well, sport check has a pretty good deal on the Garmin inReach Explorer+ Satellite Communicator and GPSFour eighty at the moment, seems like a good deal

allan
05-10-2020, 07:58 PM
I have one, not sure which version. ( not the newest one ). Works good, Msgs are not as fast as text sometimes takes a few min to send, and receive. Once I’ve called emergency 911 by accident as it got switched on and called while in my pack. I only text my wife. I don’t give my inreach info to anyone, she Vette’s all communication for me before she’ll text me when I’m hunting. Battery will last a long time.
mine is easier to use paired with a smart phone. It will text stand alone buts it’s slow. I don’t use the mapping or navigation cause it’s not easy to use and I have a Garmin god downloaded with bc maps .

35rem
05-10-2020, 08:41 PM
Sent you a PM. I like mine; wife knows where I am and easy to send messages back and forth. Messages are limited to 168 characters, but that is plenty to let the other party know what is going on.

sako79
05-10-2020, 09:04 PM
What's the battery like in the mini.

Sharpish
05-12-2020, 11:38 AM
What's the battery like in the mini.

Mine will last a 10 day moose trip but I only turn it on a couple times a day and send a few messages then turn it off.

Citori54
05-12-2020, 01:33 PM
My new InReach Explorer+ arrived from Cabelas yesterday. Decent deal for $480. Looking forward to being able to keep in touch for the times I am hunting solo this season. Ain't getting any younger.

juiceterboost
05-12-2020, 02:09 PM
I have the MINI and used it quite extensively for work and hunting. its a handy tool that allows you to maintain contact... there are options where you can just do pre loaded messages or compose messages from your smart phone. I even used the mapping to an extent last season.

albravo2
05-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Steven,
I've used them since they first came out. They are not 100% reliable but much better than nothing. I've had lots of messages not go through, not received several messages, and had several instances where my invitation to "track my progress" never updated itself. My cabin is in a fairly deep valley and messages are notoriously unreliable.

Nothing is perfect, they are still pretty good and I think they are the best option on the market.

If you buy one we can chat a bit and I can share the techniques I use to compensate for the flaws I know about. Let me know if you don't still have my phone #

jlirot
05-12-2020, 10:47 PM
I go between Vancouver and Kamloops. If you want to play with mine anytime you're welcome to. I haven't used it in the deep woods. But, I have Garmin experience from boating and it's the same system. The texting has worked in my limited experience and the mapping is Garmin - as expected. YMMV

Ron.C
05-17-2020, 05:36 PM
Bough my Inreach mini a couple weeks ago. I just got home from a 4 day bear hunt.

Over 4 days, my mini was:

on from approx 0630 to 2200 daily,
Blue tooth mode on,
Track mode on for the trip to and from camp, off the remainder,
Sent 4 custom messages per day,
Received 4 messages per day,
Half my messages were while the unit was synched to my phone,
Battery today when I got home was 60%.

My normal trips wont be more than an ok message in the morning and evening with the unit powered down in between. Figure I can easily make a 7-10 day backpacking trip.

Was cool to be able to tell my hunting buddy what I was seeing and where.

I left it turned on to see as dont intend to strut around with it on all day. Figure turning bluetooth mode off will save additional power.

lineofsight
05-20-2020, 12:26 AM
Great thread. Difference between Mini and Explorer seems to be the Earthmate map function / display. Is the quality of the mapping worth the size and price difference (when also have Rino 650 with BC Backroads Maps)?

reel lucky
05-21-2020, 08:57 PM
I have Explorer+. Used it north of Sachs Harbour on Banks Island, all over B.C. and as far south as Mexico. Take it anywhere that cell service may be a problem. used it for a truck breakdown,
mid November, foot snow, -10, remote road. Tow company used coordinates sent with the message to locate us. $14.95 a month...Bargain

eatram
05-21-2020, 09:08 PM
SOS is an awesome feature. BUT, it should be harder to inadvertently set off. Luckily search and rescue was tracking my movement and did not deploy the helicopters for 45 minutes. Finally on my lunchbreak, I heard a faint noise from my pack. ARGH!!!! I always turn it off. My fault for having too much meat in my pack....

jlirot
06-10-2020, 05:07 PM
I have recently discovered how well my phone links with my 66i. It is an absolute game changer. So nice to be able to zoom and drag on your iphone. Now I just need to figure out how to get the satellite maps going and a couple other little things. I'm very pleased with the unit.

leftfield
06-11-2020, 04:23 PM
I just saw these on sale $679

never.truly.lost
06-11-2020, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the sale; purchased! The Explorer+ works but doesn't have enough mapping features for me (use it for work etc).

Looks like ol reliable orange is going to the chopping block.

Ivan
06-11-2020, 08:46 PM
If you hunt beyond cell reception and/or go out alone I would consider having an inReach an essential piece of gear. They aren't perfect but neither is a Sat phone - I've used both and actually trust the inReach more. If you are not going out every month it is easy to put the account on 'dormant' mode to reduce the monthly cost to only a few bucks. Totally worth it for the safety element but I've also found it useful to text a friend when you need a moral booster when out alone in shitty conditions.

srupp
06-14-2020, 05:26 PM
Hmm so Globalstar has updated my plan..my SPOT to the new unit generation x that allows texting..confirmation of message being received.
Will update on how it works.
We did use James and Tyler Garmin Inreach mini on the 2 week black bear hunt..the units worked out very well and made the trip even more successful.Susan was contacted several times for things..lol
New tech is amazing.
Steven

lockmancpl
06-15-2020, 12:00 PM
I updated to the Inreach SE too soon. The Spot X at that time was having a lot of teething issues with their software. It sounds like they have the bugs worked out now. The Inreach does work well enough, but I miss the quality of the maps sent with the location texts and the lack of free unlimited tracking of the Spot system. Inreach charges you for tracking at the lower cost plans (similar monthly pricing as Spot). The Inreach sent text location maps, when used as a stand alone, basically suck if you use them anywhere but back country. We use ours as as dual purpose RV-road trips and back country. With Spot it would name the location of where you had stopped for the night ie: Walmart, and was accurate enough to almost identify the parking spot number you were in. With Inreach you where somewhere near some big unnamed building with a white roof near some unnamed freeway. Spot maps off road where so accurate when you got back home to check where you had been you expected to see your parked truck in the satellite photo. When Inreach, you were somewhere close to that lake. Not a game changer for most, but paying a lot more to purchase it and then getting lower quality, and less services for the same monthly fees, kind of bites.

Lionhill
06-15-2020, 03:10 PM
Just bought a used inreach explorer, activated it before a spring bear hunt in an area that had very spotty cell service. It was sure nice to have the added comfort of being able to text out and receive texts while out of the cell service. It made for a much more relaxed hunt. Using an iphone already as my main GPS for making tracks and recording waypoints, jumping apps over to the EarthMate software seemed a very good solution. There are a metric ton over GPS apps for the iphone which will correlate your position with great accuracy, but being able to share your position with a spouse or friend who is your "safety buddy" is a great "game-changer" solution for hunting in remote regions.
Overall I'd rate the Garmin InReach system with a 9 out of 10 for a good safe solution for hunters and anglers. Make hunting by yourself a bit more doable.

srupp
06-15-2020, 06:18 PM
I updated to the Inreach SE too soon. The Spot X at that time was having a lot of teething issues with their software. It sounds like they have the bugs worked out now. The Inreach does work well enough, but I miss the quality of the maps sent with the location texts and the lack of free unlimited tracking of the Spot system. Inreach charges you for tracking at the lower cost plans (similar monthly pricing as Spot). The Inreach sent text location maps, when used as a stand alone, basically suck if you use them anywhere but back country. We use ours as as dual purpose RV-road trips and back country. With Spot it would name the location of where you had stopped for the night ie: Walmart, and was accurate enough to almost identify the parking spot number you were in. With Inreach you where somewhere near some big unnamed building with a white roof near some unnamed freeway. Spot maps off road where so accurate when you got back home to check where you had been you expected to see your parked truck in the satellite photo. When Inreach, you were somewhere close to that lake. Not a game changer for most, but paying a lot more to purchase it and then getting lower quality, and less services for the same monthly fees, kind of bites.

Hmm I updated my first 2 generation Spot units..
I used my Gen 2 SPOT on recent hunt..however both new hunters had Garmin minis.they worked as advertised.
I will receive my new Gen X this week and keep members updated regarding its reliability and" ease of use and suitability for hunting and outdoor use.
being Global Ambassador does come with $$ perks..however it MUST work..cost comes after workability..
Cheers
Steven

The Spot maps actually showed the precise tree I was behind waiting for deer..ya maps were always SPOT on..lol
Cheers
Srupp

leftfield
06-16-2020, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the sale; purchased! The Explorer+ works but doesn't have enough mapping features for me (use it for work etc).

Looks like ol reliable orange is going to the chopping block.

Lol, no problem. I guess a bunch of people must have noticed cause when I stopped by on Monday evening the Cabelas in Abbotsford was sold out. I placed a back order and paid for it at the sale price and was told that it would be up to 2 weeks.....still I did save $150

bighornbob
06-16-2020, 08:23 AM
Hmm I updated my first 2 generation Spot units..
I used my Gen 2 SPOT on recent hunt..however both new hunters had Garmin minis.they worked as advertised.
I will receive my new Gen X this week and keep members updated regarding its reliability and" ease of use and suitability for hunting and outdoor use.
being Global Ambassador does come with $$ perks..however it MUST work..cost comes after workability..
Cheers
Steven

The Spot maps actually showed the precise tree I was behind waiting for deer..ya maps were always SPOT on..lol
Cheers
Srupp

Aren't you always preaching buy once cry once. You should sell your swarovski and leupold optics and buy Vortex and keep members " updated regarding its reliability".

I might have a vortex scope on cheap .22 but when it comes to saving my ass I'm going to go whats the best and what has been the most reliable over the years and thats the Inreach. The globalstar network (which SPOT uses ) has been saying its upgrading satellites etc etc for years. Im not betting my life on it that they are actually done it this time.

Buy once cry once unless you are a global ambassador??

BHB

ian745
06-17-2020, 07:54 PM
I just got an inreach mini. On amazon for 399, haven’t got to play yet as i`m in camp and gf has it at home already..lol

REMINGTON JIM
06-17-2020, 08:06 PM
what about this one and add on the BC Map ? RJ

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/inreachExplorer+plus.html

srupp
06-17-2020, 08:28 PM
Aren't you always preaching buy once cry once. You should sell your swarovski and leupold optics and buy Vortex and keep members " updated regarding its reliability".

I might have a vortex scope on cheap .22 but when it comes to saving my ass I'm going to go whats the best and what has been the most reliable over the years and thats the Inreach. The globalstar network (which SPOT uses ) has been saying its upgrading satellites etc etc for years. Im not betting my life on it that they are actually done it this time.

Buy once cry once unless you are a global ambassador??

BHB
Hmm pretty harsh..
the SPOT hasn't failed me until this year's changeover of their computer program.10 years of 100 % reliability.
I received the Spot X this afternoon.
It has not been activated let alone fail.
if it works..I will continue to use it..I have no reason to doubt it's efectivness
SPOT Gen X and Garmin Inreach mini are supposed to do the same thing..
So exactly how long have you used Garmin Inreach ? Has it ever failed ?
Hmm watched Garmin mini fail 1x on recent bear hunt..
I use what works..trade Swaro for Vortex ? Seriously...no thank you.

I do get to keep and use Swaro..X2
Leopold X2
If for some reason..any reason the Spot fails..I will share it and move on..untill then..I will HONESTLY share my experiences and my opinion
Thank you for yours.
Srupp

srupp
06-17-2020, 08:37 PM
Hmmm lol actually I was a bit off..LMAO. .my Swarovski spotting scope did fail once..
I had loaned it out to a friend in Alberta and during the night the tent caught on fire destroying everything in the fire..the Swarovski spotter was not flame/ fireproof.
Full disclosure.
Srupp

REMINGTON JIM
06-17-2020, 08:46 PM
Hmmm lol actually I was a bit off..LMAO. .my Swarovski spotting scope did fail once..
I had loaned it out to a friend in Alberta and during the night the tent caught on fire destroying everything in the fire..the Swarovski spotter was not flame/ fireproof.
Full disclosure.
Srupp

Did BUDDY buy you a New One ? :tongue: RJ

leftfield
06-20-2020, 10:30 AM
Ok so I pulled the trigger and bought a 66i l. The next logical step wound to learn how to use it or it’ll just be a gadget that I pack around. I bought it for the safety factor of staying in touch as I mostly hunt by myself. I looking for the best way to learn all of the functions of the unit, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

never.truly.lost
06-20-2020, 06:55 PM
Garmin does tutorial type webinar things if you can’t link up with someone in person.

Best is to have someone show you on theirs and mirror it with your own. If you are up in the Cariboo and want a hand just let me know.

Cheers
Andy

Big Lew
06-21-2020, 03:09 AM
I will be watching for Steven's comments regarding his new Spot. I have on old Gen 3 Spot and might
upgrade to a unit capable of texting. I would be interested in any unit that shows precise locations.
I absolutely trust that his assessment will be unbiased regardless if he is a Spot ambassador or not.
To suggest otherwise is an insult to his character in my opinion.

Blockcaver
06-21-2020, 06:16 AM
I've had excellent results using the inReach SE (larger yellow one) over the past two years. I was surprised the unit's log says over I've sent and received over a 1,000 messages to date. I pair it with my iPhone for easy texting and use the phone for navigation with the GAIA GPS app. Subscription costs are controlled by changing plans several times per year...unlimited texting when I am hunting out of cell range for extended periods, and the most basic plan the rest of the time where the unit still works but the cost per text is high.

I also had (have) a Spot Gen II. It worked reliably for me, just had to leave it on for 15 or 20 minutes when I sent a message. Of course you never knew if it was received until you returned from your trip, which is certainly the advantage of two way messaging.

If I was buying today, I'd get the Garmin Mini for the size and weight reduction vs the SE or Explorer. Less battery life in the Mini, but it is still great based on a friends. But the SE is working so well I don't see the need to upgrade.

leftfield
06-21-2020, 09:03 AM
I will be watching for Steven's comments regarding his new Spot. I have on old Gen 3 Spot and might
upgrade to a unit capable of texting. I would be interested in any unit that shows precise locations.
I absolutely trust that his assessment will be unbiased regardless if he is a Spot ambassador or not.
To suggest otherwise is an insult to his character in my opinion.

Im with you here, there is a way to discuss something without taking shots at each other. I’m sure that we’re all grownups here and even though you may have a personal beef with someone this is not the time or place to air it. If your opinion differs with someone else’s that’s great because you’ll bring up other points of discussion and then everyone learns something new. It’s all about the approach, what’s our end goal here. Mine is to squeeze all of the knowledge from everyone and make my own informed decision. I’ve made mine with the 66i, now I just have to learn how to use it.....yikes....lol

JPG
06-21-2020, 09:18 AM
I’ve had no problems with my Garmin Inreach Mini. Pairing with the Earthmate App is a bonus as typing from your smartphone is much easier and efficient. Also the weather updates seem to be decently accurate.
I use my smartphone as a GPS so the mini was a better call for my setup.
I hear a lot of guys talking about that new Zoleo Device.

leftfield
06-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Garmin does tutorial type webinar things if you can’t link up with someone in person.

Best is to have someone show you on theirs and mirror it with your own. If you are up in the Cariboo and want a hand just let me know.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks man, I appreciate that. We may be moving up to the Oyama lake area soon so you never know. I’ll check out the online tutorials and I guess go from there

Big Lew
06-21-2020, 02:02 PM
Some very good points being made. I like the aspect of a 'stand alone' feature for texting.
I also am comfortable with the Globalstar satellite coverage as it covers everywhere I'm likely
ever to go this late in my life. Were I still bicycle touring, especially up in the far north, their
coverage might be an issue steering me away to another satellite system.