rattling_junkie
05-07-2020, 04:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DbCpVgHhKU

wildcatter
05-07-2020, 05:01 PM
Wow that's pretty intense!

Downtown
05-07-2020, 06:47 PM
Perfect Ammunition for the Anti Hunters.

You are an Idiot for posting this !

Cheers

RugDoctor
05-07-2020, 06:52 PM

Cheers
Ya! How dare you post hunting stuff on a hunting site! How idiotic!

rageous
05-07-2020, 06:57 PM
This was obviously not from BC in case anyone doesn’t already know.

338win mag
05-07-2020, 07:02 PM
Thanks for not wasting my time with pesky commercials:p.... Nice shooting.

Downtown
05-07-2020, 07:11 PM
For those not in the know, hunting Bears over Bait is illegal in British Columbia.

However there are other Jurisdictions which allow hunting Bears over Bait which can be an excellent tool to manage Grizzly/Black Bear populations but if a Hunter is not making a clean Kill he should not plaster his shortcomings and the Bears plight all over the Internet.

If he does he/she is in my opinion a Idiot.

Cheers

Surrey Boy
05-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Ya! How dare you post hunting stuff on a hunting site! How idiotic!

Yeah, it's like we're ashamed of what we do.

Thanks for posting, thanks for hunting bears, I hope they taste good, I hope your good health continues. Thank you for your service!

rattling_junkie
05-07-2020, 07:20 PM
For those not in the know, hunting Bears over Bait is illegal in British Columbia.

However there are other Jurisdictions which allow hunting Bears over Bait which can be an excellent tool to manage Grizzly/Black Bear populations but if a Hunter is not making a clean Kill he should not plaster his shortcomings and the Bears plight all over the Internet.

Cheers

You are right. These are Manitoba bears. I got my love for bear hunting as a teenager growing up in BC. My family still lives there, but I haven't been able to do a spring bear hunt there in years. Maybe one day I will. I don't think I'm an idiot for posting. I have posted many videos and some I would even call films, that are very tasteful. This video is meant for the hardcore bear hunters out there. In BC you can bait deer but not bears. All of those shots are clean kills, the full videos are all on my Youtube channel.

Islander30
05-07-2020, 07:44 PM

Cheers

Looked like mostly all good placement shots to me....bears rarely " bang flop" especially with a bow. No need to insult the OP, he's not an idiot. This is a hunting site.

GreyDog
05-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Kind of like shooting bears at the dump but I'm not one to judge. Each person has his own view of what constitutes fair chase and, since baiting is legal in this jurisdiction, I see no reason why anyone should be critical. As far as the postings of the kills are concerned, I think it is a bit tasteless but it is a sign of the times, I suppose. Again, not my place to judge. GD

Rackmastr
05-07-2020, 08:32 PM
Kind of like shooting bears at the dump but I'm not one to judge. Each person has his own view of what constitutes fair chase and, since baiting is legal in this jurisdiction, I see no reason why anyone should be critical. As far as the postings of the kills are concerned, I think it is a bit tasteless but it is a sign of the times, I suppose. Again, not my place to judge. GD

Hahaha. "Kinda like shooting bears at the dump but not my place to judge. And a bit tasteless but not my place to judge."

Thats funny, I don't care who you are. Thats like saying "no offence" right before saying something offensive lol

tracker
05-07-2020, 08:34 PM
Thank you for posting video of some great bear kills.. Gets one fired up for bear season .

Ride Red
05-07-2020, 08:40 PM

Cheers

Considering these were all lawful hunts; I’d say the only idiot is you!!!

NMO
05-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Couple of real nice bears in there, definitely gets you fired up for bear season.

HarryToolips
05-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Thanks for posting.....

4x4
05-07-2020, 09:03 PM
Can't believe you can you bait in some Provinces. I get it it's legal but that's not hunting imo.

RackStar
05-07-2020, 09:06 PM
Selective harvesting big boars isn’t hunting?

338win mag
05-07-2020, 09:14 PM
Can't believe you can you bait in some Provinces. I get it it's legal but that's not hunting imo.
Explore your opinion, because baiting has been going on for thousands of years.

oclarkii
05-08-2020, 04:52 AM

Cheers

This gets my vote for dumbest post of the year. And that's saying something.

oclarkii
05-08-2020, 04:53 AM

And this is ridiculous as well. You're obviously so very well informed.

Steeleco
05-08-2020, 05:06 AM
First off if it's legal it's legal, DON'T assume anything this is the internet! Opinions are healthy, calling someone names based on your opinion is detrimental to your membership!!

r106
05-08-2020, 06:10 AM

Ya you have to explain this comment.

Although even if it was legal in bc i wouldnt do it but i completely understand the pros and cons of it.

r106
05-08-2020, 06:13 AM
As for the video, some nice shooting there but personally i prefer hunting videos not killing videos. Your highlighting the wrong part of the hunt imho.

GreyDog
05-08-2020, 06:58 AM
The whole issue of baiting and fair chase is kind of convoluted. In Alberta, it was not legal to bait deer but more than one outfitter had a mishap which tore open a bag of feed for the horses in a spot he liked to hunt. Likewise, in BC, where the baiting of bears is illegal, it might happen that an outfitter had a slab of bacon fall out of the pack and when he went back to find it, found a bear instead.
I once heard the opinion, if you knew where a bear had made a kill, hunting at that kill site was the same as baiting. I couldn't really see how that was much different than hunting a particularly good berry patch. Either way, you were hunting the bear where he ate. I always felt that was a CO's self-serving interpretation.
Personally, I think the baiting of predators is probably the most effective method for hunting them and is why, if bears were too plentiful in an area, it was common practice to thin them out at the local dump. This was where the bears were. Not much of a hunt, mind you. The thing was, in that particular situation, the point was to kill the bears, not to hunt them.
We have all seen videos of Texas deer hunts which involved a blind in the back of a truck and a bucket of corn. I suppose one could try the same thing here, in BC, but this sort of hunt hasn't really caught on here. Mostly, conditions are different here.
In a way, the issue of baiting , or not, is not a lot different than other methods which might be employed in different locales. In many places, hunting predators at night is perfectly acceptable but the hunting of prey species the same way is not. In some places, it is OK to hunt deer with dogs while in others, it is not. It is, ultimately, often a cultural thing. The right or wrong of it is in the eye of the beholder. GD

ElectricDyck
05-08-2020, 07:03 AM
Wow tough crowd on this hunting site...Id love to try hunting bears over bait but i love all types of hunting. I still blaim the core book and its ethics section for teaching hunters to be ashamed of what they do trying to hide it from the more educated civilized non hunters...

Downtown
05-08-2020, 08:27 AM
This website is called Hunting BC.
Clip 7 & 12 seems to show in each a Sow was shot while accompanied by Cubs, totally illegal under BC Regulations.

Cheers

Jamesonm
05-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Placement seemed a bit far back (posterior) to me, no?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7931&stc=1

Jamesonm
05-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Must be going for double lung shot.

Retiredguy
05-08-2020, 09:45 AM
I have a great amount of experience hunting bears by spot and stalk in BC and points north, as well as baiting in points east. Until one has actually done it all and seen what is involved and the different hunting situations that exist in different areas.......well it would be best to keep a bit of an open mind about it until you do gain some experience. Opinions are really only valid if based on knowledge.

Lastly, I firmly believe hunting sites should not be available for all to view unless they are a member of the site. I don't know when we will all learn that social media has allowed the anti's to use what we post against us and spread photos and video far and wide in their attacks on us.....much of which is proving to be effective in bringing about more and more restrictions against hunting, hunters and methods of hunting. When well we collectively try and be a little pro-active instead of the usual "f*** them, who cares what they think", because they are the ones gaining ground, not us.

walks with deer
05-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Clip 7 & 12 seems to show in each a Sow was shot while accompanied by Cubs, totally illegal under BC Regulations.

Cheers

baiting bears is a great way to make a clean shot...thanks for posting op.
downtown seems to be very left minded.

crassul
05-08-2020, 09:55 AM

Cheers

You are totally under educated to bear identification. Those smaller bears were not cubs.

Elkaholic
05-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Personally, I think the baiting of predators is probably the most effective method for hunting them

Yes it is ONE of the most effective ways of managing bears. Bears with hounds is also another very effective way of managing bears as you can be as selective as you like before you shoot the one your looking for. But both seem to be frowned upon by most, yet they are two of the best methods for truly identifying the individual before harvest.

Elkaholic
05-08-2020, 01:51 PM
I frown upon baiting but a cool video nonetheless. What a boring and low-skill form of hunting.

I go by the rule don't knock it until you have tried it. And also that if its legal my personal thoughts on it do not matter. If its legal its legal folks. I do not care what your opinion is, we should support it. You may not agree with it, but as hunters we should support it.

Steeleco
05-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Everyone is an EXPERT, view the video, like or don't. MOVE ON!!

4x4
05-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Yeah, put out some bait. Hide in a tree or whatever you heroes do and shot a bear. Wow. Real challenging. More like target practice than hunting.
This is part of the reason why the antis are all over us.
Another one with you guys on this site. Kill as many predators as we can they're eating all our deer and moose. Maybe they should go to Burger King and order a Whopper huh.

limit time
05-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Orange man bad.....

Ride Red
05-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Yeah, put out some bait. Hide in a tree or whatever you heroes do and shot a bear. Wow. Real challenging. More like target practice than hunting.
Another one with you guys on this site. Kill as many predators as we can they're eating all our deer and moose. Maybe they should go to Burger King and order a Whopper huh.

Troll much???

RugDoctor
05-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Troll much???
I couldn’t even make sense of the post?????

crassul
05-08-2020, 05:45 PM
I frown upon baiting but a cool video nonetheless. What a boring and low-skill form of hunting.

You did not even try it, how do you know its boring and low skill? Even at such close distance, the shooting requires lots of practice, much more than a rifle.

jac
05-08-2020, 05:54 PM
I have to admit I enjoy quality hunting videos that really show the hunt. This not so much

rattling_junkie
05-08-2020, 06:02 PM

Cheers

No sows with cubs were killed. I am a licensed guide in Manitoba, and know my laws.

rattling_junkie
05-08-2020, 06:03 PM
As for the video, some nice shooting there but personally i prefer hunting videos not killing videos. Your highlighting the wrong part of the hunt imho.

All the full videos and some I would call films are on my channel. Some very beautiful and tasteful IMO. So, tasteful a well known broadhead company used it.

rattling_junkie
05-08-2020, 06:05 PM

OK (eye roll). Once COVID-19 has passed come on out, and I'll take you to my secret spot. But you can only use a bow.

rattling_junkie
05-08-2020, 06:06 PM

Couldn't be further from the truth.

jac
05-08-2020, 07:19 PM
I do agree that baiting is likely ethical in a sense that you don’t shoot a bear with cubs, you just have more time. For myself legal or illegal I just don’t find it that sporting, I really like the to hunt and to challenge myself as much as possible.

Jimbob
05-08-2020, 09:45 PM
I bear hunted over bait one year when i lived in Ontario. Setting the bait site, building the stand, and baiting everyday was the hunting part. Walking into a bait site with no gun and stocking the bait was pretty exciting. Sitting in the stand waiting for bears did not seem like hunting just more like waiting. I much prefer spot and stalk for bears.

Also the video is pretty distasteful. We are only going to keep our sport alive by selling it for what it is. If the kill is the only thing glorified then it will one day get banned because it is "only about killing". We need to keep telling the whole story of the hunt not just the kill.

RugDoctor
05-08-2020, 09:55 PM
I bear hunted over bait one year when i lived in Ontario. Setting the bait site, building the stand, and baiting everyday was the hunting part. Walking into a bait site with no gun and stocking the bait was pretty exciting. Sitting in the stand waiting for bears did not seem like hunting just more like waiting. I much prefer spot and stalk for bears.

Also the video is pretty distasteful. We are only going to keep our sport alive by selling it for what it is. If the kill is the only thing glorified then it will one day get banned because it is "only about killing". We need to keep telling the whole story of the hunt not just the kill.
Better let TSN and everyone else know that they can’t show highlights anymore.....gotta show the entire game, not just the goals

The Hermit
05-08-2020, 10:08 PM
I'd bear hunt with archery tackle over bait if I ever had the chance, but I'd never want to put in all the time and work involved in baiting. I've arrowed lots of deer from my treestands and a couple bears in trees, and have had a number of big boars under my tree while elk hunting, so for me making perfect shots isn't as easy as this video makes it look.

In my world, my shot on live game friggin matters. I always WANT to make it perfect which injects a little tension that can sometimes **** with my zen. My focus is better some days than others and thats just the way it is. Its been my experience that being just a few feet away from a big bear and anticipating that momentarily you will be poking him with a sharp stick brings about a true to life in the moment kinda all-in focused experience. I love those rare and perfectly suspended moments just before the shot when I'm keenly focused on making the shot and calmly watching the animal waiting for the right time. THWACK.

Man, I love hunting!!! I love hunting from a treestand, I love spot and stalk hunting, cruising the timberline, hell some days just getting out for a drive and a bunch of armed hikes along spurs is a great time!

I gotta give some kudos to the shooter(s)in that video too!

338win mag
05-08-2020, 10:49 PM
Its abit hard to read some of the fundamentally stupid comments in this thread. The video is perfectly legal and ethical in every way, yet some interject a moral culture (thingy) that is higher than the next guys...I don't get it.

Retiredguy
05-08-2020, 11:36 PM
Sadly, we are our own worst enemy and spend a great deal of time trashing fellow hunters for not doing things the way we think they should be done. Far too many parrot things they have heard or read as if they are facts, with absolutely ZERO personal knowledge about any of it. So many hunters are quick to denounce how others hunt, because it does not fall into their narrow parameters of how they think things should be done, based upon no personal knowledge of why different methods are used in other areas. Generally those with the most vehement opinions are those who have little or no personal experience with what they are denouncing.

Ignorance of other hunting methods and the hunting conditions that have resulted in those methods, their flagrant disregard for the damage that social media does, and the me me me attitude of so many, are the main reasons that hunting and hunters are losing so much ground these days. We are killing ourselves off and there is nothing that can be done about it. Too many are far more concerned about petty items such as whether a bear is taken by spot and stalk, with dogs or over bait and whether someone hunts with a crossbow that has a scope or iron sights, a compound bow that has a 25 percent let off or one with 50 percent let off, a muzzleloader that is an old style front-stuffer or in-line...instead of focusing on keeping hunting alive and allowing others to practice the various methods that have developed over many years in different environments and different cultures.

Our goose is cooked. I am glad that I may only have another decade or two to hunt as I am not finding that there are that many I want to share a fire with these days, and by the time I am too crocked to hunt, there will be very little of it to do anyways.

Ride Red
05-09-2020, 06:43 AM
Its abit hard to read some of the fundamentally stupid comments in this thread. The video is perfectly legal and ethical in every way, yet some interject a moral culture (thingy) that is higher than the next guys...I don't get it.

Sadly, we are our own worst enemy and spend a great deal of time trashing fellow hunters for not doing things the way we think they should be done. Far too many parrot things they have heard or read as if they are facts, with absolutely ZERO personal knowledge about any of it. So many hunters are quick to denounce how others hunt, because it does not fall into their narrow parameters of how they think things should be done, based upon no personal knowledge of why different methods are used in other areas. Generally those with the most vehement opinions are those who have little or no personal experience with what they are denouncing.

Ignorance of other hunting methods and the hunting conditions that have resulted in those methods, their flagrant disregard for the damage that social media does, and the me me me attitude of so many, are the main reasons that hunting and hunters are losing so much ground these days. We are killing ourselves off and there is nothing that can be done about it. Too many are far more concerned about petty items such as whether a bear is taken by spot and stalk, with dogs or over bait and whether someone hunts with a crossbow that has a scope or iron sights, a compound bow that has a 25 percent let off or one with 50 percent let off, a muzzleloader that is an old style front-stuffer or in-line...instead of focusing on keeping hunting alive and allowing others to practice the various methods that have developed over many years in different environments and different cultures.

Our goose is cooked. I am glad that I may only have another decade or two to hunt as I am not finding that there are that many I want to share a fire with these days, and by the time I am too crocked to hunt, there will be very little of it to do anyways.

^^^^^^^ Well said, both of you. The nit picking that goes on regarding our “Legal Harvest” is shameful at best. I’d suggest that any of you that don’t like it or accept how someone conducts their “Legal Harvest” finally leave it alone and realize the damage you’re doing to the hunting community. Look in the mirror; would you be happy with someone demeaning you about your “Legal Hunt”. Time to grow up and shut up. Start supporting every aspect of our hunting and shooting sport (whether you participate or not), only then will we have a chance of saving it.

drakfero
05-09-2020, 08:04 AM
If everything is legal I don’t know why some of you are bitching! Most of you don’t hunt bears anyway so be thankful to guys like him he is cleaning your area!!! BTW stop calling predator hunts “trophy hunts” and start to call it “regulation of predators hunts” to protect all offsprings.. that’s when you get your respect from society back!

fuzzybiscuit
05-09-2020, 08:10 AM
There is a ton of work that goes into being successful at baiting bears. To harvest a nice Bruin at close quarters with a bow is the icing on the cake and it is very fulfilling accomplishment.

Some of the posts on this thread really show that some people have no clue what they are talking about. The biggest ammo we give to the antis is not a video of humane, legal kills but actually showing the fact that as hunters we are truly divided on the ethics of what we do.

Jimbob
05-09-2020, 08:35 AM
Not many people out there against sports and dedicating the their lives and finances to banning it.

I just think we have to control the narrative as much as possible to help show the public what hunting is about. I think a lot of people/companies are doing this now by producing shows/documentaries that tell the whole story.

The attitude of F you I'm going to do whatever I want might not work out for us in the future. I think, we as hunters, should be willing to ask ourselves what do we need to do/change to ensure we don't lose anymore hunting rights. Just a thought I'm sharing and a conversation we should have together.

Deer_Slayer
05-16-2020, 08:42 PM
It's already on youtube. Who cares what antis think

Hunter gatherer
05-17-2020, 05:39 AM
It's already on youtube. Who cares what antis think
You should care,why do you think there is no grizzly hunt? You can still convert non hunters to be on our side through education,or convert them to antis by confrontation.

northof49
05-17-2020, 07:38 AM
This should have been posted in the “Out Of Province” forum....not under Mainland BC.

Gateholio
05-17-2020, 07:45 AM
The same people that claim that baiting is not really hunting or takes no skill are also guys that will drive along a logging road, see a bear, jump out and shoot it. Legally.

338win mag
05-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Hunting as been around for thousands of years, anti's for about 50 years.
Are we going to let the new found morals of the majority control the lifestyles of the minority?
This is precisely what we have been avoiding as a society...or is it just what suits the society?

If so there go's the guns, hunting, holding any religious belief that doesn't belong to the majority. That's why I don't believe in social licence, good luck with attaining and holding on too that.

hunterdon
05-17-2020, 09:53 AM
I have a great amount of experience hunting bears by spot and stalk in BC and points north, as well as baiting in points east. Until one has actually done it all and seen what is involved and the different hunting situations that exist in different areas.......well it would be best to keep a bit of an open mind about it until you do gain some experience. Opinions are really only valid if based on knowledge.

Lastly, I firmly believe hunting sites should not be available for all to view unless they are a member of the site. I don't know when we will all learn that social media has allowed the anti's to use what we post against us and spread photos and video far and wide in their attacks on us.....much of which is proving to be effective in bringing about more and more restrictions against hunting, hunters and methods of hunting. When well we collectively try and be a little pro-active instead of the usual "f*** them, who cares what they think", because they are the ones gaining ground, not us.

Very good post. Good common sense post. I have no doubt, experience is speaking here. Thank you sir!

Retiredguy
05-17-2020, 10:21 AM
The same people that claim that baiting is not really hunting or takes no skill are also guys that will drive along a logging road, see a bear, jump out and shoot it. Legally.

Spot on!!!

LBM
05-17-2020, 03:41 PM
Any chance you can put up some of the skull dimensions of the 2 huge ones you took so far this year, that chocolate is a beauty and the big white chest on the black
2 incrediable bears.

Springer
05-27-2020, 08:10 PM
Well done , way to put together a Great video to watch from my easy chair. Second best thing to actually being there. This year was my first time ever sitting over a bait. i didnt think it looked challengeing or boring until i actually did it myself.
Some observations being a Bow Hunter.
- This provided me time to make an ethical shot where the bear was in a position that allowed me to tuck my broadhead into both lungs.
- They are finicky eaters and take their time enjoying their meals.
- I could be sure the size and Hide were in good condition before i made my mind up to shoot a Bear i was going to have mounted and invest my money into.
- it's actually the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

To bad some have to jump on a post holier than thow .
It takes a long time to sit and write your story out and endless hours editing so others can enjoy it. Retired guy summed up hunting perfect!!
Hunters bashing hunters though, come on dude , sure you have an opinion like everyone is entitled to , maybe just keep it to yourself like a Grown up should be able to.

wildcatter
05-27-2020, 10:07 PM

I thought about this many times, "visitors" should not be able to read everything on here and even new members should be checked out.
I can imagine an "infiltrator" signing up just to use what we say and post here against us as hunters.

rattling_junkie
06-04-2020, 07:31 AM
Any chance you can put up some of the skull dimensions of the 2 huge ones you took so far this year, that chocolate is a beauty and the big white chest on the black
2 incrediable bears.

The chocolate green scored at 21" and the black 21 4/16. Now to wait for the drying period which starts today. I'm hoping it doesn't dry a quarter inch, but I've never entered a bear, so I don't really know.

skibum
06-04-2020, 11:35 AM
The problem with the video is that it glorifies the kill, not the hunt.

adriaticum
06-04-2020, 12:02 PM
The problem with the video is that it glorifies the kill, not the hunt.

I completely agree.

I'm starting to think these videos are not really doing us any favours.
It's not easy for most people to digest a kill and we don't hunt to kill (at least I don't).

Maybe it would be a better strategy to film everything else except the kill.
I figure video recording and social media are all new technologies and the infatuation will pass.

mod7rem
06-11-2020, 03:39 PM
One thing I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older, is that most people are ok with giving away your rights as long as they don’t think it will impact them.
We see it in hunter vs hunter topics all the time.

We have to accept that even as hunters we have different tastes. I’ve killed a lot of animals but I don’t enjoy watching videos or hunting shows that focus heavily on kill shots. Not a judgment or a condemnation, I just look for the type of content that I enjoy.

I’ve never hunted over bait so I have no experience. But I do know that I have a strong need for DIY activities including hunting. So if I was to scout, prep, feed and maintain a bait site, I’m sure I would feel very accomplished. But again that’s just my own personal needs and tastes.

To the OP, thanks for sharing.

rattling_junkie
06-14-2020, 06:59 AM
^^^^^ a lot of my videos show the whole process. I just made this vid as I thought it was neat. For me I like everything about the hunt, even the moment of truth. The whole process is rewarding and exciting.

Downtown
06-14-2020, 08:14 AM
I completely agree.

It's not easy for most people to digest a kill and we don't hunt to kill (at least I don't).

I figure video recording and social media are all new technologies and the infatuation will pass.

Well thought out and said !

Cheers

Walking Buffalo
06-14-2020, 10:16 AM
I completely agree.

Killing is the critical aspect that defines hunting. Without the intent to kill, you are not hunting.

Showing the kill is honest.
If we can't or won't be honest about this lifestyle, I doubt it can survive in today's righteous world.

I will add that when Ego dominates, these videos become distasteful to me. ;)