PDA

View Full Version : Gutless method

lakelander
05-07-2020, 10:13 AM
How many of you employ the gutless method on bear? Is there much meat left behind - thinking of trying it when I bag one.

MichelD
05-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Not me. I keep the ribs intact for roasting, same with the shanks and Mrs. wants every bone saved for soup, so it all comes home.

Ron.C
05-07-2020, 10:31 AM
sure did. Used the Gutless on a bear on Sunday. The gutless method doesn't waste any more meat than the traditional method. If you want full ribs, can easily get them using the gutless, or you can take the rib meat right off the ribs on the spot

hunterdon
05-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Not me. I keep the ribs intact for roasting, same with the shanks and Mrs. wants every bone saved for soup, so it all comes home.

x2 for me. I'll just add that I don't like spending a lot more time in the bush with sleeves rolled up, hands smelly with blood as is the case when field dressing an animal, especially in bear country. That's covers just about anywhere in BC. Just get her done quick and in the back of the truck. I'll do the rest at home as I process all the meat myself. 5 to 10 minutes is all I need to field dress the popular way.

Fella
05-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Gutless is a great way to cool meat down in hot spring weather.

jlirot
05-07-2020, 11:04 AM
I've seen videos before but does anyone have a link to a video of gutless that they really like? I've never done it but am intrigued.

Smiley
05-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Typical field dress vs gutless is similar to the difference between gutting a fish and filleting a fish. Which do you prefer?
I've used the gutless method exclusively for several years now and like it a lot. My hope is to one day get an animal big enough that this method saves me a LOT of packing.
There are many youtube videos out there about this topic; I'd recommend watching several, on different species of animals.
The first video I ever saw was of a guy in Hawaii preparing a wild hog for transport home.

wideopenthrottle
05-07-2020, 12:14 PM
I avoid cutting into meat as long as possible in the bush...I even freeze untrimmed roasts sometimes doing the outside trimming just before cooking. Dog loves the trimmings...for me, no matter how hard I try, if I have made a cut exposing meat in the bush I will have to trim it again later...

ghost
05-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Gutless and d-bone. Most of the time a long way from vehicle and hunting partner is not close by

Gateholio
05-07-2020, 01:53 PM
There is no difference in the amount of meat and bone recovered by doing gutless vs traditional gutting method.

triggerhappy
05-07-2020, 01:55 PM
No different than doing a deer, and you can get all the meat you would by gutting the animal.

Throwaway
05-07-2020, 08:39 PM
The rug comes with me. Every bear. Done gutless on a couple deer. Didn’t really see the advantage. Probably need more practice.

HarryToolips
05-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Done it once on a bear, works well...

ROY-alty33
05-07-2020, 09:19 PM
I thought the gutless method was taking our guns by an OIC!!!!

Ubertuber
05-07-2020, 09:25 PM
Gutless is the way to go for me. Once you've done it a few times you'll see the benefit. All the parts you want go home with you, all the parts you don't want stay in the bush.

Treed
05-07-2020, 10:32 PM
It’s a great way to get your meat out of the bush And get it cooled. I always seem to be way too far from my truck to do anything else. I’d love a road deer this year.