PDA

View Full Version : archery moose

mikek blacktail
10-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Well ,I didn't get a draw this year for moose so I decided to try my luck in the region 6 oct 1-8 archery season.Well I arrived at my location on the evening on friday oct 5, it was snowing and blowing .I hunted that evening but didn,t see a thing.The next morning I got to my spot and found other guys there though I did go for a hike elsewhere and see a cow and a herd of about 25 mule deer which 12 where for sure bucks ranging from spikers to little three point nothing I wanted though.That evening I went back to the area that i couldn't get into that morning. I was there for about five minutes when I spotted this young bull, he was staring back up at me out of this little ravine, after a few minutes of calming my shakes down I range him at 44 yrds , at this point he starts to mve I cow called and he stopped right away.Iwas at full draw and let an arrow fly, it struck him right behind the shoulder but very low (turns out when he went to go he actually had gon afew yards further than 44 more lik47) he kicked and took of over a little knoll, Stupidly I grabbed another arrow and went to check the last spot I seen him and when I got to the spot there was a ton of blood .Right as I was thinking that he stood up from behind a stump right beside me an started to take off I called and to my suprise he turned around and started walking towards me grunting ,I backed up 25yrds and he kept coming each step a little faster so I backed up a bitt more I was at full draw on the thing the whole time.At the point when he had walk 40yrds back from where he had stood up a squirrel started chattering ,when he turned his head to look I put a arrow right in his neck which broke his spine.This whole episode took about 2 minutes from the first to last arrow, Though in the end I got the moose next time I think I'll wait my normal 30min before going to look for sign, on a plus note he did follow me back towards the road, not to mention Im quite happy with my first archery moose it was a goal I've been trying to accomplish the last few years:)http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/mikekblacktail/ujjjjj029.jpg?t=1192289446http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/mikekblacktail/ujjjjj030.jpg?t=1192289508

Bow Walker
10-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Great story and a good looking young moose. There'll be some fine dinners from that one for sure.

I don't fault you for going to look for signs of hit as I bet you were more than excited at the time. It's easy to forget at a time like that.

Congratulations on attaining a major goal with archery equipment. I would give a lot to be able do the same thing to such a tender young bull - not to mention my lofty ambition of getting an Elk one day.

30-06
10-13-2007, 08:42 AM
congrats on the moose . i'll be heading up to region 6-4 on thursday for a week of any bull moose .

mikek blacktail
10-13-2007, 08:46 AM
congrats on the moose . i'll be heading up to region 6-4 on thursday for a week of any bull moose .

that's where I was.

Phil
10-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Great hunting story! Congratulations on attaining your goal!

quadrakid
10-13-2007, 08:54 AM
now that had to feel awesome,moose with a bow. well done!

Bow Walker
10-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Give us a bit of detail as to the equipment. We can see that it is either a Guardian or a Commander bow, but what about the arrow and broadhead, and the rest and such.

Looks like a Spot Hogg sight, but I can't make out the arrow rest. What poundage are you pulling?

Not nosey - just curious.

Dan.

mikek blacktail
10-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm using 60lb guardian by bow tech goldtip5575s sonic 100 grain broadheads ,scott trigger realease copperjohns deadnuts sights and a ripcord fall away rest , a limbsaver stabilizer and by the way my bow makes me very happy . I'de reccomend it to anyone.

Bow Walker
10-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I had a chance to shoot a Guardian at a 3D shoot in C.R. this past year.....great bow. I'd recommend it as well....although I do love my Diamond Liberty.

bwhnter
10-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Congrat, nice bull and a good story aswell

J_T
10-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Hey, way to go. Good on you for taking the initiative to travel to do it, and with the bow. Congrats.

Geo.338
10-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Congrats on your first archery moose !Nice bull !Archery moose is on my list of things to do ! Geo.338.

308Lover
10-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm astounded at the power of the new bows and their arrows. In the old days a sandpail test against the "new" magnums was held. Fill a five gallon pail with sand and turn on its side. Shoot at the bottom with arrows(target) and magnum rifle. Of course it's a joke. The arrows went through totally while the magnum shells did their job, mushroomed, and stayed in the pail.Archers had the last laugh. The magnum owners then fired at railroad track sections (the thin part on the side) and penetrated. Of course they won that one.LoL
Was impressed with your moose kill and thrilled at your success. Best wishes.

BCJunior
10-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Nice meat moose and its so cool you took him by a bow. That must feel awsome especially when it was open hunt non LEH. Congratz.

Derek_Erickson
10-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Nice shootin were you by yourself?

mikek blacktail
10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Nice shootin were you by yourself?
All by myself

JMac
10-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey Mike good job with the bow. A nice big island buck and now a swamper...you're having a great year so far! The blacktail rut will only make it better.

gameslayer
10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Congrats :-) Sounds like a great experience, I was thinking of trying region 6 for bow as well, any bull in the rut is inviting. Did you see many moose, I am heading up there in 3 day's.

BlacktailStalker
10-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Nicely done Mike !
How was the pack job ?!

mikek blacktail
10-14-2007, 07:48 AM
I only saw two moose, the pack out wasn't bad I halfed it and each side weigh 200lbs even so I just dragged it out by hand ,took me three hours.