PDA

View Full Version : hot off the press

butthead
05-01-2020, 09:22 AM
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pm-trudeau-announces-federal-ban-on-assault-style-firearms-in-canada-1.4920528

Crixus
05-01-2020, 09:24 AM
I wonder if they'll include SKS

whitlers
05-01-2020, 09:26 AM
“This chapter in our history cannot be rewritten, but what happens next is up to us. We can stick to thoughts and prayers alone, or we can unite as a country and put an end to this,” Trudeau said.

So what happens when the next public shooting is done with illegally obtained firearms again.. this doesn't change a thing. Every firearm owner in Canada should be outraged.

twoSevenO
05-01-2020, 09:33 AM
I missed the part where he is doing something about illegal gun smuggling out of the USA .... which was the actual source of the shooter's guns *shrug*

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-01-2020, 09:37 AM
The prime minister spoke about how every Canadian can remember the day they realized how “a man with a gun could irrevocably alter our lives for the worse.”

Wow..... just wow.....

"skma"
05-01-2020, 09:57 AM
Since they have 1500 variations my assumption is probably???

sako79
05-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Have they announced which ones they were including

Yuritau
05-01-2020, 10:24 AM
The full list, in my google drive since the goverment site seems to be having some slight traffic issues atm, lol: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1su25Ln2BmU6FQiJmEhAxTNUeBWcn6Pnl

Yuritau
05-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Almost half the pages (31 of 69) are just the AR-10/AR-15 clones that are now banned by name. Which seems redundant.. They've banned the design and any variants or modified versions (below), why bother listing all the names?

87 The firearms of the designs commonly known as the
M16, AR-10 and AR-15 rifles and the M4 carbine, and any
variants or modified versions of them — other than one
referred to in item 47, 49 or 50 of this Part — including the
<huge list follows>

Crixus
05-01-2020, 10:37 AM
Page 58. I wonder what this means exactly..... "An option to participate in a grandfathering regime would
also be made available for affected owners."

Surrey Boy
05-01-2020, 10:40 AM
The prime minister spoke about how every Canadian can remember the day they realized how “a man with a gun could irrevocably alter our lives for the worse.”

Those men tend to work for the government.

twoSevenO
05-01-2020, 10:45 AM
50 BMG?!? .... potential school shooters are going to be pissed. lol

This list makes no sense. There is no logic behind the selected firearms. Thanks for posting it!

Steeleco
05-01-2020, 10:51 AM
Almost half the pages (31 of 69) are just the AR-10/AR-15 clones that are now banned by name. Which seems redundant.. They've banned the design and any variants or modified versions (below), why bother listing all the names?

Because the SHEEPLE see numbers and that's all. They don't know one end of a gun from another

Yuritau
05-01-2020, 11:10 AM
50 BMG?!? .... potential school shooters are going to be pissed. lol

This list makes no sense. There is no logic behind the selected firearms. Thanks for posting it!

I mean.. it's a good thing they made sure to list all the missile launchers, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and mortars that we've all totally been allowed to own previously.

Downwindtracker2
05-01-2020, 11:12 AM
Is the SKS on the list?

shuswapbear
05-01-2020, 11:21 AM
SKS, Not that I saw but they started blurring together.

russm
05-01-2020, 11:27 AM
Is the SKS on the list?

Not yet,I bet prices are going to go up quickly though

russm
05-01-2020, 11:28 AM
Is the SKS on the list?

Weird that it isn't considering that's what those little shits that were on the run last summer used

finngun
05-01-2020, 12:03 PM
Stupedness has no limits..

PhotoShot
05-01-2020, 12:44 PM
I notice the CBC story on this states the following in paragraph 11.

Some of the firearms being prohibited are currently classified as "non-restricted" — mostly firearms like shotguns — meaning licensed owners do not have to register them with the police. (The long-gun registry was abolished by the previous Conservative government.)

I don't see any shotguns listed in the official list put out by the federal government, am I missing something or is this just a mistake made by the CBC?

limit time
05-01-2020, 12:59 PM
Pay attention to the uppers and ACCESSORIES part !! This includes mags also.... rifles use AR mags .... this is way deeper than just a ban...

PhotoShot
05-01-2020, 01:10 PM
I notice the CBC story on this states the following in paragraph 11.

Some of the firearms being prohibited are currently classified as "non-restricted" — mostly firearms like shotguns — meaning licensed owners do not have to register them with the police. (The long-gun registry was abolished by the previous Conservative government.)

I don't see any shotguns listed in the official list put out by the federal government, am I missing something or is this just a mistake made by the CBC?

Never mind, I wrote the CBC and they removed this paraagraph from their story.

limit time
05-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Never mind, I wrote the CBC and they removed this paraagraph from their story.

IronNoggin
05-01-2020, 01:46 PM
This action is an overly-expensive, do-nothing piece of legislation, produced ENTIRELY to cater to the anti's votes and nothing else.
At a time when our public coffers are being rapidly drained, it is incredibly foolish to proceed with it now.
But, there were the warm bodies to make hay on, and trust the liberals never to miss out on such an "opportunity".

Interestingly, Trudeau and Blair backed off substantially in their plans.
Instead of outright bans & confiscation, they are offering two year amnesties for all concerned, a choice between "grandfathering" (you keep the firearm in question until you die, then surrender to government) or surrender now for a below cost offering from the feds.

Interesting in that these actions are pretty well guaranteed to tick off folks on both sides to the equation. The owners are incensed for being taken to task for actions they are in no way even remotely related to. While the anti's are already screaming Blue Murder that This Does Not Go Far Enough.

Another point of interest is that Trudeau announced this "Will not effect First Nations who utilize these firearms for hunting purposes". Bizarre. On one hand no-one needs any of those scary rifles listed to hunt with. But... the poor FN's get to keep them just for that purpose? There are a few areas I can immediately think of that recognize their local FN gangs are not using their AK's for "hunting purposes"...

In his haste to capitalize on our latest tragedy, Trudeau may very well have shot himself in the foot as all concerned are left shaking their heads at his blatant politicizing of such atrocious events.

Time will tell, but this extremely poorly thought out and imposed (OIC) legislation is perhaps headed towards the same end as the ill fated Firearm Registration Program imposed by another set of liberals in a previous lifetime...

I'll be ticking the Grandfather Box, and doing what I can to fight this BS in as many arenas as possible.

In a way it almost would have been preferred to see outright bans and confiscation. We had a plan, a way to fight that which would have cost them dearly. Now, we have to rethink these issues and determine another route. Greater minds than mine are already at that task...

In the meantime I desperately hope the Conservatives get their shit together SOON!
We need them to flip this BS after the next election.
Certainly wish Pierre Poilievre were going to be leading that charge...

gathto
05-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Question:

Can each province revert to their own control laws?

igojuone
05-01-2020, 05:30 PM
The full list, in my google drive since the goverment site seems to be having some slight traffic issues atm, lol: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1su25Ln2BmU6FQiJmEhAxTNUeBWcn6Pnl

Thank you.....

Huntingtyler123
05-01-2020, 08:32 PM
I can’t believe that this ban excludes natives... ( of course I believe) in the same article goes on to say you can’t shoot down a bear with an AR but it’s traditional for natives

HarryToolips
05-01-2020, 08:47 PM
^^^^were all native aren't we? Letters being made shortly here for my local member of parliament as well as for the PMs office...

bluesman
05-01-2020, 08:59 PM
First Nations are not exempt from the newly banned list . Trudeau said that traditional hunting rifles are exempt as we will still have them as part of our hunting heritage and First Nations hunting heritage . Basically saying that hunting guns are not part of the plan . But the named guns are banned to all people including FN .

theoutdoorsman
05-01-2020, 09:11 PM
As far as I understand it they need to ban them individually by name and not classification to pass this through an order in council and not go through legislation, such as if they wanted to ban an entire classification of firearm (semi automatic). The narrow scope of their list definitely shows their intentions with this current ban. If by chance he gets elected in again then he'll really get on the banned wagon

shottyshooter
05-01-2020, 09:14 PM
I can’t believe that this ban excludes natives...

I find it sad that they exclude indigenous people from the order while also (page 63) cite that “indigenous persons are victims of homicides involving firearms” (far more)

so one of the reasons cited is to protect indigenous people from disproportionately being victims of gun crime but they don’t get into the fact that most of those homicides were indigenous on indigenous crimes!

i feel for the rural residents - especially in areas were indigenous rural crime is rampant - I hope the rural crowd doesn’t see an increase in crime. And even the Nova Scotia shooting - 25mins to respond! I sure bet one of those victims wishes they had access to an AR when that asshole with his firearms ban and illegally obtained firearms (some from the US where this order would have no effect) came along.

Citing Nova Scotia as a reason for a gun ban is great for a legal challenge BECAUSE it’s hard to defend an order in council that was due, in their own rationale, to a case that would not have been impacted by this order in any way.

The Hermit
05-01-2020, 09:30 PM
I find it sad that they exclude indigenous people from the order while also (page 63) cite that “indigenous persons are victims of homicides involving firearms” (far more)

so one of the reasons cited is to protect indigenous people from disproportionately being victims of gun crime but they don’t get into the fact that most of those homicides were indigenous on indigenous crimes!

i feel for the rural residents - especially in areas were indigenous rural crime is rampant - I hope the rural crowd doesn’t see an increase in crime. And even the Nova Scotia shooting - 25mins to respond! I sure bet one of those victims wishes they had access to an AR when that asshole with his firearms ban and illegally obtained firearms (some from the US where this order would have no effect) came along.

Citing Nova Scotia as a reason for a gun ban is great for a legal challenge BECAUSE it’s hard to defend an order in council that was due, in their own rationale, to a case that would not have been impacted by this order in any way.

Agreed. Well written and thoughtful post. Thanks

Pauly
05-01-2020, 09:34 PM
Now the natives can protest and block tracks with fully auto riffles.. nice turdo is such a dick

horshur
05-01-2020, 09:34 PM
He banned them by names of variants to get the numbers up ..it is a political move.

Huntingtyler123
05-01-2020, 09:37 PM
Where does it end now? People I’m in contact with say it’s just a “machine gun ban” doesn’t effect hunting. But I don’t see it as so. I’m furious with this new ban. I don’t believe it will stop with just this. How can we be proactive in changing people’s minds that don’t know any better? “Sheeple” see guns and automatically think they are bad. When I think of these mass shootings I think of the person behind the gun that’s obviously not right in the head. We need to get Trudeau out ASAP.

Pauly
05-01-2020, 09:39 PM
It won’t affect hunting.. don’t worry about that however I do believe their will be a magazine capacity limit no doubt

Pauly
05-01-2020, 09:42 PM
They will never take hunting riffles and shotguns away.. hunting brings in big dollars and not only that if they tried to confiscate hunting riffles that is the one thing that would cause mass protests nobody would stand for it and they know it

Mosin
05-01-2020, 10:23 PM
They will never take hunting riffles and shotguns away.. hunting brings in big dollars and not only that if they tried to confiscate hunting riffles that is the one thing that would cause mass protests nobody would stand for it and they know it

About 15 years ago some guy would of said this same you just did about the guns that were announced to be banned today

whitlers
05-02-2020, 06:42 AM
I don’t care about the weapons banned by turdo they are not for hunting any how so let it go and get used of it nothing is going to change it now

Your a firearm owner. You should be concerned. The 'oh well it's not gonna harm me' mentality is exactly why we are losing so much ground with hunting in general and now firearms.

GreyDog
05-02-2020, 06:46 AM
I don’t care about the weapons banned by turdo they are not for hunting any how so let it go and get used of it nothing is going to change it now
If you believe this, you need to take up some other form of recreation. You don't deserve to own firearms or hunt. You should probably look for some real estate back in the GTA where you will feel right at home. GD

Hunter gatherer
05-02-2020, 06:59 AM
You are either a troll or very naive either way not thinking this through. Ever here the expression "death by a thousand cuts"

Pauly
05-02-2020, 07:02 AM
Blah blah blah I don’t care, your paranoid !! Your the fringe minority who needs auto weapons to hunt? I got rid of my ar a few months ago I never used it any how now it’s someone else’s problem. By the way I have more riffles and shotguns than I can shoot in a year and I’m an avid re loader so don’t lecture me! Hand guns and auto weapons are for law enforcement and military they have no practical use for hunting. If you don’t like our laws quit whining and move to the states

Pauly
05-02-2020, 07:05 AM
It’s funny how I get labeled a troll for having an opinion yet I’ve never accused any one on this site for being a troll and having an opinion and believe me theirs lots of trolls on this site. I first joined to give out hunting info and got trolled immediately.. so you know what I’ll give you guys a taste of your own medicine and from what I’m seeing you can dish it out but you certainly can’t take it

4pointer
05-02-2020, 07:11 AM
Blah blah blah I don’t care, your paranoid !! Your the fringe minority who needs auto weapons to hunt? I got rid of my ar a few months ago I never used it any how now it’s someone else’s problem. By the way I have more riffles and shotguns than I can shoot in a year and I’m an avid re loader so don’t lecture me! Hand guns and auto weapons are for law enforcement and military they have no practical use for hunting. If you don’t like our laws quit whining and move to the states

The recent OIC may not effect you now but it will later down the road. They will eventually come for it all. We should all be fighting this together instead of shrugging it off because you could care less. You are just adding fuel to their fire. We have right to choose which firearm we decide for hunting. Place or no place, it's our choice if it is legal. Help us fight for "our" rights or get out because one day THEY WILL come for you.

Hunter gatherer
05-02-2020, 07:15 AM
Ok troll it is

WWBC
05-02-2020, 07:17 AM
Can this OIC be overturned by a conservative government?

Pauly- This should be concerning at very least because most hunting rifles share some sort of military petigree.
Think your ‘Sniper rifle’ is safe?

Personal examples from my safe that by the same logic could have been banned.
My Versa Max shotgun for ducks is very similar mechanically to a military shot gun.
My Ruger 10/22 for grouse is the same rifle that’s used by the Israeli military for crowd control.
My Marlin 30-30 lever action was an “assault rifle”. 100+ years ago

all gun owners need to stick together on this stuff.

Pauly
05-02-2020, 07:35 AM
Can this OIC be overturned by a conservative government?

Pauly- This should be concerning at very least because most hunting rifles share some sort of military petigree.
Think your ‘Sniper rifle’ is safe?

Personal examples from my safe that by the same logic could have been banned.
My Versa Max shotgun for ducks is very similar mechanically to a military shot gun.
My Ruger 10/22 for grouse is the same rifle that’s used by the Israeli military for crowd control.
My Marlin 30-30 lever action was an “assault rifle”. 100+ years ago

all gun owners need to stick together on this stuff.
Look I’m not saying I’m not concerned I’m saying at this point we have nothing to worry about when it comes to hunting and hunting fire arms and any riffle especially my 7 mm can be considered a sniper riffle. I get your point I really do I’ve owned more than a few of the arms listed on the banned list. Freeland made it very clear that hunters rights would not be infringed upon. I also realize that all these nasty crimes are committed with us imports but I’m of the opinion that these weapons have no practical use in society.. just my opinion it certainly doesn’t mean I want our hunting rights infringed upon. The world has bigger issues right now I always kept my ar for a cut and run gun because I’m a prepper big time! But truth be told if the shit hits the fan I don’t want to be blasting away to protect my water and food what’s the point in the end guns aren’t going to save us. I used to just like you guys but I’ve had a change of heart I’m sick of seeing mass murder on the news and if these new laws even prevent one person from dying then I’m all in. Sorry

abbyfireguy
05-02-2020, 07:39 AM
Give it a rest guys. Stop attacking each other . It is pointless and fruitless.. Put your energy to keeping our guns in our hands for legal,use.
The last time I looked ,automatic assault style weapons were not hunting weapons used by the majority on this site.
I have had a Ruger 10/22, it looks and works like a factory weapon because it is . Great gun but as we all know it can easily and cheaply be modified into an assault weapon that bears no resemblance to the original,go to grouse harvester.

338win mag
05-02-2020, 07:54 AM
look i’m not saying i’m not concerned i’m saying at this point we have nothing to worry about when it comes to hunting and hunting fire arms and any riffle especially my 7 mm can be considered a sniper riffle. I get your point i really do i’ve owned more than a few of the arms listed on the banned list. Freeland made it very clear that hunters rights would not be infringed upon. I also realize that all these nasty crimes are committed with us imports but i’m of the opinion that these weapons have no practical use in society.. Just my opinion it certainly doesn’t mean i want our hunting rights infringed upon. The world has bigger issues right now i always kept my ar for a cut and run gun because i’m a prepper big time! But truth be told if the shit hits the fan i don’t want to be blasting away to protect my water and food what’s the point in the end guns aren’t going to save us. I used to just like you guys but i’ve had a change of heart i’m sick of seeing mass murder on the news and if these new laws even prevent one person from dying then i’m all in. Sorry
.............lol..........

boxhitch
05-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Some of us used to sympathize with the changes in Australia and hated the thought of being oppressed by the same firearms laws......
are we there yet

Gateholio
05-02-2020, 08:03 AM
Some .308 class bolt action target rifles and some of the more powerful dangerous game bolt action rifles are on this list.

Gateholio
05-02-2020, 08:09 AM
I used to just like you guys but I’ve had a change of heart I’m sick of seeing mass murder on the news and if these new laws even prevent one person from dying then I’m all in. Sorry

The new laws won't save a single life. Not one. They may even cause real human harm as Canadians in the firearms industry lose their jobs or face true financial hardship.

The big picture is frightening. Here is how my friend Jay put it:

I am not sure that Canadians understand what just happened... Nor the significance of it! A minority fed gov just used a legislative hammer (OIC) to enact law without debate in Parliament. Future fed govs will now point to this example and conduct themselves accordingly. Democracy is dead

Furthermore, people who either agree with how the OIC was used yesterday, or are okay with it being used in that manner because it targeted firearms which they don't like, are definitely missing the big picture that precedence was set & further debate on issues in Parliament and the passage of future law, is an unnecessary bother.

So what's the next government going to do via OIC? Something you don't like maybe? Maybe they ban abortion. Or ban marijuana. Maybe seize some of your property.?

bcsteve
05-02-2020, 08:12 AM
Give it a rest guys. Stop attacking each other . It is pointless and fruitless.. Put your energy to keeping our guns in our hands for legal,use.
The last time I looked ,automatic assault style weapons were not hunting weapons used by the majority on this site.
I have had a Ruger 10/22, it looks and works like a factory weapon because it is . Great gun but as we all know it can easily and cheaply be modified into an assault weapon that bears no resemblance to the original,go to grouse harvester.
So the only reason to own firearms is for hunting? You don’t believe in plinking, target shooting, sport shooting competitions. As long as they leave your traditional looking hunting firearms you’re just going to look the other way. And putting a 10/22 into a black stock turns into an assault weapon and somehow makes it more dangerous than a stock 10/22 grouse getter? Geez......

butthead
05-02-2020, 08:17 AM
one chip at a time off the old rock

northof49
05-02-2020, 08:22 AM
the new laws won't save a single life. Not one. They may even cause real human harm as canadians in the firearms industry lose their jobs or face true financial hardship.

The big picture is frightening. Here is how my friend jay put it:

i am not sure that canadians understand what just happened... Nor the significance of it! A minority fed gov just used a legislative hammer (oic) to enact law without debate in parliament. Future fed govs will now point to this example and conduct themselves accordingly. Democracy is dead

furthermore, people who either agree with how the oic was used yesterday, or are okay with it being used in that manner because it targeted firearms which they don't like, are definitely missing the big picture that precedence was set & further debate on issues in parliament and the passage of future law, is an unnecessary bother.

so what's the next government going to do via oic? Something you don't like maybe? Maybe they ban abortion. Or ban marijuana. Maybe seize some of your property.?

^^^^^^this

boxhitch
05-02-2020, 08:27 AM
I am not sure that Canadians understand what just happened... Nor the significance of it!

Sad but true

338win mag
05-02-2020, 08:39 AM
This is inside the mind of a Communist.

Redthies
05-02-2020, 09:58 AM

I just went through the banned list, and amazingly, I don’t see any mention of SKS. Which is very strange given the two island dipshits among others to use them in high profile shootings.

wildcatter
05-02-2020, 10:02 AM
If you believe this, you need to take up some other form of recreation. You don't deserve to own firearms or hunt. You should probably look for some real estate back in the GTA where you will feel right at home. GD

Everybody should put this jerk on ignore, he is a plant, he is only here to stir up shit.

Redthies
05-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Look I’m not saying I’m not concerned I’m saying at this point we have nothing to worry about when it comes to hunting.

I’m of the opinion that these weapons have no practical use in society. I’m sick of seeing mass murder on the news and if these new laws even prevent one person from dying then I’m all in. Sorry

Pauly, I’m one of the VERY few that thinks you occasionally have a good point. That is not the case here. While I personally have no use for any of the banned firearms, I have a massive issue with the way in which the “laws” were tabled. Or not, as the case actually is. There has been exactly ZERO democratic process here. To think that Turdeau is going to stop here is naive at best.

If you are really worried aboutmaking Canada a safer, more law abiding country, you should see this as what it really is... A GIANT WASTE OF RESOURCES that would be infinitely better used in policing, education and health care. The only legally acquired firearms to be used in mass shootings recently were not even on the list! Only illegal ones. How is a new law going to help that?

GreyDog
05-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Pauly= part of the problem. If only one life is saved? There's a phrase from the bleeding heart handbook. Just for the fun of it, how about telling us about the many times that firearms restrictions saved a life. Let us hear about the times a potential killer said to himself, "Wait a minute, it's illegal to use this prohibited handgun. I had better not shoot my fellow drrug dealer today!"
The thing is, the very act of attempting to disarm the population, shows the disdain the government has for the citizen. It is the government who cannot be trusted to have these guns; not the citizens. The latest mass murder was caused more by ineptitude than the availability of any sort of gun. It happened because a nutcase was allowed to carry out his plan. It was exacerbated because the protectors chose not to inform the public.
Perhaps, guys like Pauly are happy to have their Liberal government make all their decisions for them but I am not. GD

Spy
05-02-2020, 10:36 AM
The new laws won't save a single life. Not one. They may even cause real human harm as Canadians in the firearms industry lose their jobs or face true financial hardship.

I am not sure that Canadians understand what just happened... Nor the significance of it! A minority fed gov just used a legislative hammer (OIC) to enact law without debate in Parliament. Future fed govs will now point to this example and conduct themselves accordingly. Democracy is dead

Furthermore, people who either agree with how the OIC was used yesterday, or are okay with it being used in that manner because it targeted firearms which they don't like, are definitely missing the big picture that precedence was set & further debate on issues in Parliament and the passage of future law, is an unnecessary bother.

So what's the next government going to do via OIC? Something you don't like maybe? Maybe they ban abortion. Or ban marijuana. Maybe seize some of your property.?

Wanna ban guns then they should have a ban on abortion, that will get the lefts panties all twisted up..

steel_ram
05-02-2020, 12:02 PM
They should ban bicycles. More people killed on those every year. I just don't see a reason why we NEED those in this country.

shottyshooter
05-02-2020, 12:57 PM
They should ban bicycles. More people killed on those every year. I just don't see a reason why we NEED those in this country.

bicycles are harmless - they don’t kill people. Now sports cars on the other hand! They don’t have any mag/throttle restrictions and are designed to cover the greatest distance in the shortest amount of time which has absolutely no legal civilian need- right? Ban the sports cars! LOL!

We need to be able to vote “none of the above” and force ongoing elections until someone worth voting for actually runs! It’s the only way we can stop the politics of that career choice and get back to the service of our country that the politicians should actually be focused on. Political self-preservation is all any of our options are concerned with these days... sigh...

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-02-2020, 01:01 PM

THIS!!! Very well put!

Rob Chipman
05-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Pauly:

No disrespect intended - just a reasonable critique.

" Freeland made it very clear that hunters rights would not be infringed upon."

They passed an order in council without debate that takes immediate effect.

It's not going to stop many, if any, illegal gun traffic.

It will (and has) cement a great deal of support for the LPC among their base and perhaps grab them some ne adherents.

It's not an attempt to come up with a reasonable, effective and efficient solution to whatever the problem is.

There are no real definitions -

-Is the problem mass shootings? Any shooting? Any loss of life by firearm? Not defined.
-What are "military style" rifles? What are "assault weapons"? Again, no real definition.
-What is the goal and why is it a good one? Again, not explained or defined.

I'm pretty sure that if I had a reasonable basis for the outright ban or currently legal private property I could certainly convince, for example, Gateholio, of why it should go forward, and if the basis was actually reasonable I bet I'd get some support from him.

Given than, I'm really certain that if I had a reasonable position and I were, say, the PM, I could debate it in public, in long form, and make my case.

Instead we see a tragic shooting, immediately followed by predictions that JT will exploit the situation to advance his political agenda, followed by JT doing exactly that (that list was in the desk drawer for a long time, let's face it), and it's all done without any debate.

That's a law passed but executive order, not by a legislature, and that is simply wrong.

The fact that it's so widely cheered is equally disturbing.

limit time
05-02-2020, 02:03 PM
It’s funny how I get labeled a troll for having an opinion yet I’ve never accused any one on this site for being a troll and having an opinion and believe me theirs lots of trolls on this site. I first joined to give out hunting info and got trolled immediately.. so you know what I’ll give you guys a taste of your own medicine and from what I’m seeing you can dish it out but you certainly can’t take it
typical liberal drool... you’re a TROLL through and through... just a anti looking for nuggets dressed up as a FUDD...

Iron Sighted
05-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Look I’m not saying I’m not concerned I’m saying at this point we have nothing to worry about when it comes to hunting and hunting fire arms and any riffle especially my 7 mm can be considered a sniper riffle. I get your point I really do I’ve owned more than a few of the arms listed on the banned list. Freeland made it very clear that hunters rights would not be infringed upon. I also realize that all these nasty crimes are committed with us imports but I’m of the opinion that these weapons have no practical use in society.. just my opinion it certainly doesn’t mean I want our hunting rights infringed upon. The world has bigger issues right now I always kept my ar for a cut and run gun because I’m a prepper big time! But truth be told if the shit hits the fan I don’t want to be blasting away to protect my water and food what’s the point in the end guns aren’t going to save us. I used to just like you guys but I’ve had a change of heart I’m sick of seeing mass murder on the news and if these new laws even prevent one person from dying then I’m all in. Sorry

So you're happy to throw other shooters under the bus so long as you personally aren't affected? Down the road when this Liberal scourge bans all firearms I will gain some very small bit of spiteful satisfaction knowing that those such as yourself also get to suffer and get what you asked for while all my legally possessed guns(at least the ones they know of) are taken from me even though I have committed no crime.

You are very naive if you think this is going to do a thing to prevent crime. Ever follow the war on drugs? Banning those outright sure seemed to make the problem go away didn't it? The issue with this whole thing is that it targets legal and responsible gun owners without doing anything meaningful to address the real issues that lead to gun crime. You seem like an intelligent guy, I'd hope you can look past your obvious bias and see the truth. This is a clear attack on legal gun owners under the guise of public safety, but only those that are completely ignorant of gun laws and statistics from gun crimes are actually gullible enough to believe it.

Should add that if you're going use that tired line of "if it just saves one life", then I expect you're out actively campaigning to abolish tobacco and alcohol consumption, banning both of those would actually appreciably move the needle on preventing unnecessary loss of life, unlike this complete B.S. law passed by Trudeau and his henchman Blair(who for the record was previously Chief of Police in Toronto, where you know, the majority of gun crime in the country is committed with illegally obtained guns).

UkeeJ
05-02-2020, 03:10 PM
I feel .223/5.56mm is a great caliber for target shooting and the carbine style is great to shoot, easy to clean, service and is durable. My son likes it cause it's bigger than .22 but doesn't kick as the larger calibers, so for our range days together it's perfect. Also the ammunition is cheaper being a nato based round lots and lots produced.

I feel it's absolutely ridiculous I'll be "illegally" owning this firearm in two years, we took the courses (me long long ago) paid taxes on the purchase etc etc. Sure looks to me like page 59/60 is granting "The Amnesty Order" for some folks, what the heck is actually going on here! We all know anything in the wrong hands, used with bad intentions can cause harm, guns, baseball bats, rocks... I would hope for a government to focus on prevention and enforcement towards those with the "wrong hands and bad intentions" not knee jerk legislation penalizing law abiding citizens. Stay on this path all we'll be allowed to do is finger paint and pick flower in another decade.

BriarPatch
05-02-2020, 03:17 PM
Blah blah blah I don’t care, your paranoid !! Your the fringe minority who needs auto weapons to hunt? I got rid of my ar a few months ago I never used it any how now it’s someone else’s problem. By the way I have more riffles and shotguns than I can shoot in a year and I’m an avid re loader so don’t lecture me! Hand guns and auto weapons are for law enforcement and military they have no practical use for hunting. If you don’t like our laws quit whining and move to the states BY Pauly

And here lies the problem its not my problem so I don't care.

Ban should be by democracy not by a fascist dictator which is exactly what we have with the turd.

Its not just about guns its about the erosion of rights and freedoms and some of you are just too f******g STUPID TO SEE IT

IronNoggin
05-02-2020, 03:50 PM
It won’t affect hunting.. don’t worry about that however I do believe their will be a magazine capacity limit no doubt

It has already affected hunting. There are bolt action rifles, double rifles, shotguns and even rimfires on their list.

I will be one happy camper when this delusional and mouthy fool eventually meets the ban hammer here.

Nog

limit time
05-02-2020, 03:55 PM
It has already affected hunting. There are bolt action rifles, double rifles, shotguns and even rimfires on their list.

I will be one happy camper when this delusional and mouthy fool eventually meets the ban hammer here.

Nog

They will come for his 7mm !

Citori54
05-02-2020, 04:01 PM

I honestly think you are delusional. Listened to a three party discussion,Liberal, NDP and Conservative, on this issue on CTV news this afternoon. The Conservative ripped the new regs for all of the reasons presented here - ineffective, waste of money, attacking legal gun owners instead of criminals. The NDP person criticized the Liberal because the ban did not go far enough and the Liberal response was: this is just a start, a first step. There will be much more to come in the following months. I do not own any of the firearms listed, but I oppose this with every fiber of my being.

Instead of wasting hundreds of millions of dollars on this initiative, spend the money on more police, mental health and drug addiction treatment (no, not safe injection sites actual treatment). Virtually every mass shooter has been proven to be mentally ill. The other issue is sentencing; the Conservatives brought in minimum sentences for gun crime and what happened? The left wing, bleeding heart judges struck it down. How many times have you seen on the news a story of a gang banger stopped by police with a loaded, unlicensed hand gun in the glove compartment and they get nothing. This government is a joke and sorry Pauly you are out to lunch on this one (I was going to say out in left field but that was too easy).

Arctic Lake
05-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Why are some talking about the Ruger 10/22 ? I don’t see it on the list or did I miss-something ?
Arctic Lake

Spy
05-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Fake news Pauly didn’t even vote but here he is spouting off about guns and Government what a tool...

mooze
05-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Nice naivete, this is a stepwise process, at some point they will make the PAL more demanding, then you will have to prove a need for a firearm, this is a step on a slide. They will play sport-shooters against hunters against collectors against handgun-owners, to separate the factions in the firearms-crowd. At each step some of us will say “it is not so bad, I am not affected” and let it pass. Confiscating hunting rifles? At some point that would pass as well, don’t worry. Just don’t think that it will be confrontational, it will be bureaucratic and it will work.

Surrey Boy
05-02-2020, 05:37 PM
Friend versus enemy is a relative spectrum.

Pauly might be more on the liberal side, but how many believe LEOs are innocent and make excuses for them? How many would defend Bruce Montague, much less any other direct-action protester?

blacklab
05-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Blah blah blah I don’t care, your paranoid !! Your the fringe minority who needs auto weapons to hunt? I got rid of my ar a few months ago I never used it any how now it’s someone else’s problem. By the way I have more riffles and shotguns than I can shoot in a year and I’m an avid re loader so don’t lecture me! Hand guns and auto weapons are for law enforcement and military they have no practical use for hunting. If you don’t like our laws quit whining and move to the states BY Pauly

And here lies the problem its not my problem so I don't care.

Ban should be by democracy not by a fascist dictator which is exactly what we have with the turd.

Its not just about guns its about the erosion of rights and freedoms and some of you are just too f******g STUPID TO SEE IT

You must feel so proud!

Spy
05-02-2020, 05:46 PM
That’s bullshit you have insulted many of us, called us trolls, I’ve called you out for posting fake news, you should have been banned for the shit you said.. You are NO friend of ours, nobody likes you so why not just take a hint and fakoff troll..

338win mag
05-02-2020, 05:53 PM
That’s bullshit you have insulted many of us, called us trolls, I’ve called you out for posting fake news, you should have been banned for the shit you said.. You are NO friend of ours, nobody likes you so why not just take a hint and fakoff troll..
x2......^^^^^^

wildcatter
05-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Yeah I agree, this a**hole is here for a reason, like I said he is a plant, do not respond to his drivel and he will
eventually go away like pembymess and a few others before him. He is not a friend of ours so just ignore him.
I have been here for 10 years and he is the first one I put on ignore.

Pauly
05-02-2020, 06:13 PM
Your all a detriment to your own cause

338win mag
05-02-2020, 06:16 PM
Yeah I agree, this a**hole is here for a reason, like I said he is a plant, do not respond to his drivel and he will
eventually go away like pembymess and a few others before him. He is not a friend of ours so just ignore him.
I have 9 on ignore, how many do you have? If he were standing in front of you he would be stuttering like porky pig, minus the common sense porky has.

Pauly
05-02-2020, 06:23 PM
We’re watching all of you !

Hunter gatherer
05-02-2020, 06:27 PM
Paula read this aloud in front of your coworkers and family" I am we Todd did,I am sofa king we Todd did" by the way are you from Ontario or Quebec.

338win mag
05-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Lol don’t want to be friends with the likes of all you losers and certainly don’t care if anyone likes me lol your all a bunch of ignorant, backwards people incapable of any critical thinking people like you are the reason the world is going to shit. Conspiracy theories, racism, ignorance, narrow mindedness.. pathetic stagnant lives incapable of growth!! Morally bankrupt bunch of losers. So there I gave you what you were expecting... but I sure did start a conversation didn’t I.. it’s amazing how little it takes to bring out the worst in people.. this is why I support the new gun ban. It’s folks like you !! Thank you all for proving my point!
Phuck off then.

BriarPatch
05-02-2020, 06:58 PM
Blacklab I do not understand your post are you having a go at me?

I merely quoted someone else and I am sick of the pathetic attitude of it does not affect me so why am I bothered I thought on this site at least we were all supposed to be hunters/fishermen and should in theory stand shoulder to shoulder and support each other

wildcatter
05-02-2020, 07:13 PM
I have 9 on ignore, how many do you have? If he were standing in front of you he would be stuttering like porky pig, minus the common sense porky has.

I have only pauly but I think scott h will be the next one.
Yeah, he is a bigmouth behind his keyboard, a sorry excuse of a man.

Redthies
05-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Lol don’t want to be friends with the likes of all you losers and certainly don’t care if anyone likes me lol your all a bunch of ignorant, backwards people incapable of any critical thinking people like you are the reason the world is going to shit. Conspiracy theories, racism, ignorance, narrow mindedness.. pathetic stagnant lives incapable of growth!! Morally bankrupt bunch of losers. So there I gave you what you were expecting... but I sure did start a conversation didn’t I.. it’s amazing how little it takes to bring out the worst in people.. this is why I support the new gun ban. It’s folks like you !! Thank you all for proving my point!

Well, you are a piece of shit. So there. Meet you at the bike racks after school...

Redthies
05-02-2020, 08:10 PM
Damn, sunk to your level.

Some of us here are university educated, multi language speaking free thinking folk who just happen to feel it is worthwhile to fill our own freezers. If you don’t want to be here as a productive part of our group, well, just piss off.

Pauly
05-02-2020, 08:26 PM
Damn, sunk to your level.

Some of us here are university educated, multi language speaking free thinking folk who just happen to feel it is worthwhile to fill our own freezers. If you don’t want to be here as a productive part of our group, well, just piss off.
Being well educated doesn’t make anyone smart their is a difference. Their is nothing productive about conspiracy theories or bashing the Chinese.. everyone is so blind to the world that they create.. everything is conflict.. peace and respect are all but gone and if that is a lie please correct me or do you not see what we’ve done to this world. We have destroyed everything in the name of ego and greed mass murder 300 + times a year in the states with auto weapons, wars, starvation, genocide.. while others go hungry on the other side of the world because we steal all their resources to grow bananas and coffee and palm oil. Our governments just want to grow our economies at any cost.. we’re all going to pay for our sins in the end

whitlers
05-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Screw this clown ^ spread your virtuous crap elsewhere pal.

338win mag
05-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Blacklab I do not understand your post are you having a go at me?

I merely quoted someone else and I am sick of the pathetic attitude of it does not affect me so why am I bothered I thought on this site at least we were all supposed to be hunters/fishermen and should in theory stand shoulder to shoulder and support each other
I dont think he understood you were quoting the pos.

Pauly
05-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Don’t like the truth huh? Virtue is a good thing that’s something a lot of the human race has lost. Tell me how has the world gotten to the point we’re at in history? Do you honestly believe we can escape the end result at the pace we’re going. A world rife with depression and anxiety work till we die now a days and the mortgage still isn’t paid off credit card debt beyond belief we consume what we want more than what we need.

whitlers
05-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Don’t like the truth huh? Virtue is a good thing that’s something a lot of the human race has lost. Tell me how has the world gotten to the point we’re at in history? Do you honestly believe we can escape the end result at the pace we’re going. A world rife with depression and anxiety work till we die now a days and the mortgage still isn’t paid off credit card debt beyond belief we consume what we want more than what we need.

Sounds like you need to make another appointment with your counselor bud.

Pauly
05-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Lol maybe see how I feel tomorrow

BriarPatch
05-02-2020, 09:34 PM
338 thanks I probably should have been a little clearer.

Looks like another person (pauly) is showing their true colours, just sick like many on here of these libtards virtue preaching to the rest of us.

Huntingtyler123
05-02-2020, 09:43 PM
This world is messed up beyond belief. What I believe with this gun ban is BS. Dictatorship, not being debated in parliament, another notch in the belt of total gun loss/ban, kiss ass to the native population ( nothing wrong with them, just Trudeau), freedom loss. People are going to say over and over and I agree. This isn’t a gun problem, it’s a people problem. Nut cases thinking they have no way out or whatever they think. Then commit mass murder.
making a gun illegal will not stop anything. Just like making weed illegal, coke, meth, drugs etc. People are going to get what they want one way or another. This just harms us legal abiding gun owning citizens. Who’s to tell one person or the other what they should or should not own? I don’t own any of the now banned fire arms but that’s besides the point. It’s just a stepping stone now. If you believe us hunters are safe your fooling yourself (Pauly)

im not attacking anyone and even you Pauly. I’m saying we can’t be fighting each other and becoming more divided. We need to write letters to parliament and be vocal because with this attitude of “it doesn’t effect me yet” is not going to get us anything.

I agree people consume waaaaay to much then they actually need. I agree mass shootings are disgusting and cowardly way out, I agree with questioning what the government tells us or leads us to believe and that doesn’t make me a conspiracy theorist. Trudeau is a quack. Cares about everyone else in the world except us Canadians. I agree with trump in supporting Americans first. We need someone with balls for us here in Canada in making sure us Canadians are well off and come first. I am conservative and I 10000000% do not agree with this gun ban.

srthomas75
05-02-2020, 09:43 PM

now you kind of sound like a preacher. I can accept peoples' religeous choices etc.. but have a tough time hearing about how great it is and how much I'm missing out. [ I don't consider myself religeious by the way ]

Elkhound
05-02-2020, 10:20 PM
Pauly can use some time to cool off

bluesman
05-03-2020, 04:09 AM
Question for all on here. I am not trying to pick sides but can someone show documentation of a country that had military type weapons banned from the public first, then had all their guns taken away ? I am not saying it hasnt been done but I have no knowledge of " its been done before ," its just the tip of the iceberg mentality ?"
If it has and you can site it,,then it is a concern. Don't say I heard ...show the actual facts. show the actual history of such. Where there was this progression of one type of gun banned then the next type banned and the next and so on.
Also this is a hunting site and can you show guns on that huge list that are used for hunting in a practical sense ??? Again I started looking at that list and its huge but I didn't see any typical hunting rifles.
I have always thought if you cant get the job done with a rifle that carries only 5 rounds , maybe you shouldn't be hunting.

I'm old school and always thought a good bolt action was all you needed. An old model 12 shotgun took all the geese and ducks I want as well as turkey.

to say someone is naive to believe this is only assault type weapons and the hunting guns are safe is a fairly bold statement . So when you do so, back it up with facts I would say is the way to prove it to that poster.
\its easy to banter and pick on the one guy there, so I say lets see the facts then we do have a legit concern of our future as hunters.

bluesman
05-03-2020, 04:44 AM
To emphasize I am not picking sides here, I just like to see the actual facts. If Trudeau has indeed made exemptions for FN with some of these banned guns that is not only ridiculous it is a charter of rights issue. In the fist press conference he stated all Canadians would still be able to use their traditional hunting guns , so I personally wasn't worried about the military type weapons being banned. I am not a Trudeau fan and if there is hidden clauses in this new legislation to take away our hunting rifles I would be first to take every step necessary to stop it .
Again if he has indeed alllowed the FN to have guns that the rest of us Canadians can't its an absolute misscarriage of our rights. I would want to hear his reason for such exemptions. The violence in FN communities is much higher than any others so WTF ?

The one thing I am is old school and do't see a need for a hunting rifle to hold more than 5 rounds.

Lastly I have never been a fan of ANY politician as I have yet to meet one who doesn't have an agenda.

limit time
05-03-2020, 06:53 AM
Question for all on here. I am not trying to pick sides but can someone show documentation of a country that had military type weapons banned from the public first, then had all their guns taken away ? I am not saying it hasnt been done but I have no knowledge of " its been done before ," its just the tip of the iceberg mentality ?"
If it has and you can site it,,then it is a concern. Don't say I heard ...show the actual facts. show the actual history of such. Where there was this progression of one type of gun banned then the next type banned and the next and so on.
Also this is a hunting site and can you show guns on that huge list that are used for hunting in a practical sense ??? Again I started looking at that list and its huge but I didn't see any typical hunting rifles.
I have always thought if you cant get the job done with a rifle that carries only 5 rounds , maybe you shouldn't be hunting.

I'm old school and always thought a good bolt action was all you needed. An old model 12 shotgun took all the geese and ducks I want as well as turkey.

to say someone is naive to believe this is only assault type weapons and the hunting guns are safe is a fairly bold statement . So when you do so, back it up with facts I would say is the way to prove it to that poster.
\its easy to banter and pick on the one guy there, so I say lets see the facts then we do have a legit concern of our future as hunters.

The turd said FN can still hunt with them. So? Can or can’t they be hunted with ? Now a question for you since you don’t now much about guns. Semi auto centre fire are limited to 5 rounds as per criminal code so that doesn’t matter as per your 5 round thing.

What actually kills animals ?

A=The look of the gun ?
B= The action of the gun?
C= The caliber of a gun ?

And an honest question to you, would anything change your mind ? If not ? Move along then....

bcsteve
05-03-2020, 07:13 AM
To emphasize I am not picking sides here, I just like to see the actual facts. If Trudeau has indeed made exemptions for FN with some of these banned guns that is not only ridiculous it is a charter of rights issue. In the fist press conference he stated all Canadians would still be able to use their traditional hunting guns , so I personally wasn't worried about the military type weapons being banned. I am not a Trudeau fan and if there is hidden clauses in this new legislation to take away our hunting rifles I would be first to take every step necessary to stop it .
Again if he has indeed alllowed the FN to have guns that the rest of us Canadians can't its an absolute misscarriage of our rights. I would want to hear his reason for such exemptions. The violence in FN communities is much higher than any others so WTF ?

The one thing I am is old school and do't see a need for a hunting rifle to hold more than 5 rounds.

Lastly I have never been a fan of ANY politician as I have yet to meet one who doesn't have an agenda.
All the rifles on that list were already limited to 5 rounds, just like your old school hunting rifle. Most of them were chambered in .223 Remington, way less powerful than your old school hunting rifle.

303savage
05-03-2020, 07:16 AM
“a man with a gun could irrevocably alter our lives for the worse.” A man with a gun can protect a life also.

GreyDog
05-03-2020, 07:23 AM
Bluesman,
In the past, in those cases where firearms were controlled then confiscated, there was less of a demarcation between military and sporting rifles so that there was never any impetus to go after military-style rifles first. On the other hand, the anti-gun people today can easily make the distinction today and they are making for exactly the reason demonstrated by your post; making this distinction allows them to divide the shooting and hunting community. That they are being successful in doing this is evident when hunters say they don't need those rifles anyway. It is also evident when the make-believe soldiers refer to hunter as "Fudds".
That the rifles on the list are not "traditional" hunting rifles does not mean that they can not be employed as such. In fact, there are a number of AR-15 variants which were designed for the purpose of hunting and they are on the list. The Ruger Mini 14, originally designed as a police weapon, immediately morphed into a semi-auto sporting rifle.
There are also a bunch of rifles on the list which were intended, primarily, as competition rifles and are fired in matches here and in the US. Is it the contention of the guys who don't care that these rifle don't matter because they are NOT used to kill things? If so, that is quite the paradox, is it not?
Ultimately, one has to address the bottom line; this is not about public safety, it is about control. It is about liberty, freedom, and the loss thereof. Why should people be allowed to have on of these rifles? They should be allowed to have them because it does no harm for them to have them. They should be allowed to have them because they are upstanding citizens who are no threat to society. For every military-style assault rifle which is used in a crime (TV shows don't count, by the way), there are a million which are not. More traditional hunting rifles and shotguns are likely to be used in crimes than are AR-15's. That a person owns a Mini 14 does not make him a criminal who must be controlled. It is his behaviour, not his choice of firearms, which makes him a criminal. If a guy is an abuser, a drug dealer, a pimp, a thief, a rapist, then he deserves to be controlled.
When the government seeks to disarm the population, it demonstrates that the government is afraid of and no longer trusts the citizens. It is my belief, if the government cannot trust me, then I cannot trust the government. While I know it may have no place in a discussion regarding Canadian society and law, I feel it is important to understand that this is the ultimate reason for the 2nd amendment to the U.S. Constitution; an armed citizenry formed the final bastion of freedom. It is the ultimate in checks and balances. It says, between the lines, "You can do what you want but, if you abuse the power this paper gives you, we can take this power from you by force because we are granted the means to do so." The founding fathers of the United States trusted their people enough that they were willing to give them this power. The Canadian government has never been quite so confident in the support of it's people!
We, the citizens of western society, have worked diligently to tear down the society we inherited; without regards to the consequences. We have removed the necessity for one to be accountable for his actions, we have removed the pride one should have in being a good citizen, we have enabled and, in some cases, rewarded criminal and deviant behaviour. Now some want make up for this by trying to take away our independence. So it is that we will enable and support drug addicts and the criminal enterprises which profit from them, yet we will seek to control people who are productive, even patriotic, Canadians and who are no threat to their fellow citizens.
I'm going to quit before I get too far off track but I hope you get the point. The point is, we should be able to own these particular rifle because there is no good reason why we should not. In addition, if you believe the anti-gun people will be satisfied with taking away a particular class of rifle and won't bother us anymore, you are living in a dream world. GD

limit time
05-03-2020, 08:29 AM
“long guns the problem”
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/canada-firearm-ban-violence-against-women-advocates-1.5553689 (https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/canada-firearm-ban-violence-against-women-advocates-1.5553689)

Bollo
05-03-2020, 08:47 AM
Ultimately, one has to address the bottom line; this is not about public safety, it is about control. It is about liberty, freedom, and the loss thereof. Why should people be allowed to have on of these rifles? They should be allowed to have them because it does no harm for them to have them. They should be allowed to have them because they are upstanding citizens who are no threat to society. For every military-style assault rifle which is used in a crime (TV shows don't count, by the way), there are a million which are not. More traditional hunting rifles and shotguns are likely to be used in crimes than are AR-15's.

I hope there's room for reasonable discussion on here, unlike some other forums. It feels like there is.

Here's the bit I'm pondering - where is the line? Using your argument above, you can make the same case for fully auto firearms. And I don't know how that sits with me - to be honest it makes me a little uncomfortable. On a purely personal note it makes me try and evaluate where that line is for me, and the answer is I'm not sure right now.

To clear up any ambiguity I am 100% against this legislation. It targets a small enough number of people (directly) to be a net political gain while achieving nothing other than a billion dollar hole in the budget. Red meat for the base. It was a cowardly move - I would have had more respect for an attempted blanket ban of handguns and semi centre-fires - at least that way you could at least say there was some integrity behind the move. I'd rather deal with someone who is honest about what they hate, even if I completely disagree with them. Sadly, honesty is not a common currency in politics.

303savage
05-03-2020, 09:02 AM
I wonder if Trudope has seen this sight? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

limit time
05-03-2020, 09:09 AM
I hope there's room for reasonable discussion on here, unlike some other forums. It feels like there is.

Here's the bit I'm pondering - where is the line? Using your argument above, you can make the same case for fully auto firearms. And I don't know how that sits with me - to be honest it makes me a little uncomfortable. On a purely personal note it makes me try and evaluate where that line is for me, and the answer is I'm not sure right now.

To clear up any ambiguity I am 100% against this legislation. It targets a small enough number of people (directly) to be a net political gain while achieving nothing other than a billion dollar hole in the budget. Red meat for the base. It was a cowardly move - I would have had more respect for an attempted blanket ban of handguns and semi centre-fires - at least that way you could at least say there was some integrity behind the move. I'd rather deal with someone who is honest about what they hate, even if I completely disagree with them. Sadly, honesty is not a common currency in politics.
Since you are the “noob” with 3 posts... did you come to stir the pot ? Do you even hunt (with a gun) or own A gun ? Remember, you’re coming to us not the other way around. ( And what’s the other site you referring to ?

Redthies
05-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Being well educated doesn’t make anyone smart their is a difference. Their is nothing productive about conspiracy theories.

Apparently education doesn’t make YOU smart, that’s for sure.

You are obviously tolerant to pain as you keep beating your head against the wall here...

GreyDog
05-03-2020, 09:38 AM
You have to understand, if it was possible for people to own fully auto weapons, that does not mean everyone would. In addition, those who would own them would not be likely to be those with criminal intent. It would still be illegal to use these guns in the commission of crimes and most people simply are not intending to commit crimes. I have known a few guys who did own fully auto firearms of various types and, trust me, they were no threat whatsoever to society in general. One guy did kill quite a few watermelons but they were a legal target! The point is, the people who are likely to collect and shoot these guns are not people who are likely to use them in crimes. I know a lot of people who own 50 caliber rifles and know of none who have committed any sort of criminal act with these guns.
I do believe their should be some restrictions on who can own firearms of any type. People who are criminals should not own firearms. People who are drug addicts, people who are demonstrably mentally ill, people who are alcoholic wife beaters, should not own firearms. I have to add, when some one IS banned from owning firearms, he should be watched to make sure he does not acquire them. This might have prevented the NS massacre.
We, as a society, are strangely reluctant to restrict those people who really might be a problem and strangely willing to restrict those who have proven themselves not to be. A person who has owned and used firearms, responsibly, for more than a half-century, is usually not a problem regardless of the type of firearm being discussed. At my local gun club, absolutely everyone who is an active shooter could be allowed to own a sub-machinegun with no threat whatsoever to society at large. Most, if given the option, would probably not avail themselves of the opportunity but, if they did, it would not compromise the safety of the community.
Much is made of the amount of gun violence in the United States. It is seldom mentioned, in the majority of cases, the use of the firearm is incidental to some other criminal activity whether it be organized crime (gangs and drugs) or random crime (robberies and assaults). The refusal of the government to address these underlying issues is contributory. It is easier to try and indoctrinate the people to believe that firearms restrictions or bans will fix things right up. GD

Jamesonm
05-03-2020, 09:40 AM
Since you are the “noob” with 3 posts... did you come to stir the pot ? Do you even hunt (with a gun) or own A gun ? Remember, you’re coming to us not the other way around. ( And what’s the other site you referring to ?

Don't be such a dink. This isn't your forum.

BriarPatch
05-03-2020, 09:43 AM
Can I suggest to the moderators that this thread & any others concerning the new gun ban be moved to an area that only members can access & further that any future discussions should only be in these areas.

Also since some on here including "pauly" who was a recent member should only be allowed access to these areas after 3 months.

I propose this as obviously some comments were deliberately made to elicit a strong push back that could quite conceivably be used to support an anti agenda even though we understand why it was made it could easily be misconstrued.

I would just like to remind everyone about the incident with a firefighter & deer that hit the local news!!!

If this is not possible then I would urge members to think carefully before replying in areas visible to everyone.

BriarPatch
05-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Grey Dog I think you summed the situation up perfectly in post #106 & #112

I would also like to add if you look up the crime statistics for a particular town/city and the amount of gun related crime it will invariably be on one side of town which will not be the side frequented by legitimate gun owners and the number of home invasions, assaults etc. in the other parts of town will be considerably less due to people having the ability and laws in place allowing them to look after themselves.

Jamesonm
05-03-2020, 09:49 AM
Be hard on topics not hard on people.

Bollo
05-03-2020, 09:57 AM
You have to understand, if it was possible for people to own fully auto weapons, that does not mean everyone would. In addition, those who would own them would not be likely to be those with criminal intent. It would still be illegal to use these guns in the commission of crimes and most people simply are not intending to commit crimes. I have known a few guys who did own fully auto firearms of various types and, trust me, they were no threat whatsoever to society in general. One guy did kill quite a few watermelons but they were a legal target! The point is, the people who are likely to collect and shoot these guns are not people who are likely to use them in crimes. I know a lot of people who own 50 caliber rifles and know of none who have committed any sort of criminal act with these guns.
I do believe their should be some restrictions on who can own firearms of any type. People who are criminals should not own firearms. People who are drug addicts, people who are demonstrably mentally ill, people who are alcoholic wife beaters, should not own firearms. I have to add, when some one IS banned from owning firearms, he should be watched to make sure he does not acquire them. This might have prevented the NS massacre.
We, as a society, are strangely reluctant to restrict those people who really might be a problem and strangely willing to restrict those who have proven themselves not to be. A person who has owned and used firearms, responsibly, for more than a half-century, is usually not a problem regardless of the type of firearm being discussed. At my local gun club, absolutely everyone who is an active shooter could be allowed to own a sub-machinegun with no threat whatsoever to society at large. Most, if given the option, would probably not avail themselves of the opportunity but, if they did, it would not compromise the safety of the community.
Much is made of the amount of gun violence in the United States. It is seldom mentioned, in the majority of cases, the use of the firearm is incidental to some other criminal activity whether it be organized crime (gangs and drugs) or random crime (robberies and assaults). The refusal of the government to address these underlying issues is contributory. It is easier to try and indoctrinate the people to believe that firearms restrictions or bans will fix things right up. GD

Thanks for the insight and for taking the time to write it - hugely appreciated.

As someone else noted earlier I'm new - only about a year into firearms ownership and hunting. The past year or so has challenged a lot of preconceptions I had around both. The one thing that has surprised me the most is how quickly those views changed as I learned more, and how murky so much still is as I'm a complete beginner. I've spent a lot of time reading and listening to more experienced people like yourself and it's been incredibly helpful.

I've tried to become a part of the community by attending events and joining a range, and over the last few months have been taking a lot of info from this forum. Throughout, I have found almost everyone I've come into contact with to be thoughtful, patient and generous with their time and knowledge, and for that I thank you.

BriarPatch
05-03-2020, 10:00 AM
Jamesonm you are a relatively new member defending a very new member asking a somewhat controversial question in an open forum against a long time member & contributor whats your angle?

GreyDog
05-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the insight and for taking the time to write it - hugely appreciated.

As someone else noted earlier I'm new - only about a year into firearms ownership and hunting. The past year or so has challenged a lot of preconceptions I had around both. The one thing that has surprised me the most is how quickly those views changed as I learned more, and how murky so much still is as I'm a complete beginner. I've spent a lot of time reading and listening to more experienced people like yourself and it's been incredibly helpful.

I've tried to become a part of the community by attending events and joining a range, and over the last few months have been taking a lot of info from this forum. Throughout, I have found almost everyone I've come into contact with to be thoughtful, patient and generous with their time and knowledge, and for that I thank you.

First, let me say, welcome to our community. I didn't notice your nooby status before. In general, shooters and hunters are much like any other group; some are good, thoughtful and tolerant people. Some are flaming a--holes. Still, as with the rest of society, the vast majority are relatively harmless. One has to avoid the tendency to want to pigeonhole people. I actually know some Liberals (pause while I spit on the ground) who, apart from that tragic flaw, are basically good folks; just misguided. I also know some avowed righteous individuals who are, in reality, rotten to the core. The premise behind the gun ban is flawed in the extreme but the Liberals don't care. It may be a stupid premise but it is their's.

Jamesonm
05-03-2020, 11:02 AM
Jamesonm you are a relatively new member defending a very new member asking a somewhat controversial question in an open forum against a long time member & contributor whats your angle?

Looking for a free lunch. My account of the same name is from 2015 or 2016, just forgot the login information.

hawk-i
05-03-2020, 11:25 AM
I'm wondering how bad Pauly's hang-over is this morning?

wildcatter
05-03-2020, 11:48 AM
It was only matter of time.
I wondered if he was from some far left organization(s) or even antifa spying here.
There a few others we should keep an eye on.

IronNoggin
05-03-2020, 11:50 AM
We often hear how this action somehow represented the will and desires of the majority of Canadians.

Something Trudeau trots out at every single opportunity.
I guess he too is relying on biased online polls to determine this...

Oddly enough, the liberals spent a considerable amount of time and energy finding out what Canadians actually wanted
Only to realize it wasn’t inline with what they wanted to do.
They even went so far as to document that very fact: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/2019-rdcng-vlnt-crm-dlg/index-en.aspx
This is something they have now forcibly shoved under the rug, as they continue to point towards any online poll that agrees with their stance instead.

Quite shameful the way this was done.
A minority government, lying continuously to it's citizens, end-running democratic function, and forcing their own Agenda on the public via an Order In Council.
This is NOT the Canada our forefathers fought and died for any more.
And it has made me shameful of my own country as a consequence.

Nog

limit time
05-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Don't be such a dink. This isn't your forum.

nor yours...lol..... I guess you haven’t been around long enough to know me yet haha...

180grainer
05-03-2020, 12:27 PM
JT just announced he's going to be unveiling a handgun ban shortly. Sounds like providing the legal frame work for municipalities to ban handguns in their city. It'll come down to "who" pays for the enforcement and prosecution of people who will be now classified as criminal for doing what they always have. https://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/trudeau-says-legislation-on-municipal-handgun-bans-coming/wcm/373aded8-f601-48e3-b710-2781b9153c1a/

bluesman
05-03-2020, 01:03 PM
limit time..I know alot about guns...hunting guns and their regulations..dont know much about miltary guns other than they are designed to take life and used quickly and effectively. I,m familiar with rugers.

My point is I have hunted for over 40 years and never had a need for a hunting rifle to have more than 5 rounds. This is a hunting site . Not a gun site.
I agree and don't like he idea of a government telling me what I can and can't have . WE unfortunately have nuts like this guy in Nova Scotia who make all of us try and figure out how to prevent tragedy. In an ideal world we would have no restrictions.... and a government and justice system that practiced common sense. To believe that will ever happen is a pipe dream. If the criminal code used the teeth it has to deal with gun violence in the first place you would not need restrictions . Criminal offences that have teeth in the criminal code are not even close to being used correctly.

We have a lot of good sound existing laws that the justice system doe not use correctly. Firearm offences have teeth..never used during most sentencing , so when the shit hits the fan the gun control issues come up.

if you look at our history on hunting guns in North America, we have gone from using lever actions bolt actions and shotguns that were basic that did the job for over 100 years to all these fancy guns that have 31/2 shells ...longer ranges etc etc that take the hunting stalking and woodsmanship out of the picture. I'm old school and believe if you can't get it done with the stuff used for decades and decades get within 100 yards or so to a game animal and all of a sudden are using these modern guns that let you shoot further and further so you hunt from your truck and get out and shoot 400 yards... you shouldnt be hunting... you get my OPINION remember OPINION ..so you see I don't care if the gun companies stopped making the long guns that hold 10 rounds ..In all my years I can't remember needing anymore than two rounds while hunting big game and 3 rounds for birds.

what I do not like ......like most posters here..... is a government telling me what to do . When and where I can do activities and not giving me credit for common sense
There are alot out there that go to the gun range and shoot like they are in a war ...Shooting rapidly for many many rounds...Never seen the reason for that or the thrill.
Im old fashioned and believe common sense is just that. Unfortunately as said there are people who do stupid things that create this very post.

this is a hunting site and I get the fact that restrictions and censorship sometimes leads to more of each which could effect hunting.We are not truley free society. As these new changes have not changed hunting as they stand , I am not worried at this point. Don 't like GOVT telling me what to do but not worried as said at this point . If they try and take our hunting heritage and standard hunting guns away I'll be the first to try and prevent it

Bollo
05-03-2020, 01:06 PM

Hi BP - I didn't intend to be controversial. My question was more about how unsure I was than anything else, and I spent the second half of the post explicitly stating that I am 100% against the legislation. I really appreciated getting such a great response from GD.

While I understand that this is an emotive issue and that firearms owners have become a reviled group in the last couple of decades (despite 1 in 4 households being part of it), I do urge you to allow new members to the community to ask questions or ponder on points that might trigger some (understandably) negative emotions. I know a few people in my exact situation - starting out latter in life and without cultural yardsticks in our past to help guide us on the path forward. Having an open forum where people can ask such questions in good faith is something to be highly prized.

My apologies if I did a poor job in communicating my thoughts - that's on me. I'm new (and had the added distraction of a toddler crawling over me all morning) but I'll try and see my posts in the greater context in future.

bluesman
05-03-2020, 01:16 PM
My current belief is that we have enough hunters in Canada that we will be left alone for awhile. As our numbers dwindle which seems to be happening..it will be a problem. It might take 25 years... not sure .. but at our current state, most young adults don't give two cents about our hunting ....but most kids now a days are out of touch with our heritage and most Canadians don't look at where our food comes from , their own history, and that..is as dangerous as our govt.

so I get the worries here...

Gateholio
05-03-2020, 01:55 PM
this is a hunting site and I get the fact that restrictions and censorship sometimes leads to more of each which could effect hunting.We are not truley free society. As these new changes have not changed hunting as they stand , I am not worried at this point. Don 't like GOVT telling me what to do but not worried as said at this point . If they try and take our hunting heritage and standard hunting guns away I'll be the first to try and prevent it

First they came for the Communists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Communist

Then they came for the Socialists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Socialist

Then they came for the trade unionists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist

Then they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew

Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

BriarPatch
05-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Bollo

The issues that fired people up myself included was our embarrassment of a PM and his latest idiotic move and then "pauly" and his comments, I myself was somewhat unclear in my post and attracted some critique.

Jamesonm
05-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Hi BP - I didn't intend to be controversial. My question was more about how unsure I was than anything else, and I spent the second half of the post explicitly stating that I am 100% against the legislation. I really appreciated getting such a great response from GD.

While I understand that this is an emotive issue and that firearms owners have become a reviled group in the last couple of decades (despite 1 in 4 households being part of it), I do urge you to allow new members to the community to ask questions or ponder on points that might trigger some (understandably) negative emotions. I know a few people in my exact situation - starting out latter in life and without cultural yardsticks in our past to help guide us on the path forward. Having an open forum where people can ask such questions in good faith is something to be highly prized.

My apologies if I did a poor job in communicating my thoughts - that's on me. I'm new (and had the added distraction of a toddler crawling over me all morning) but I'll try and see my posts in the greater context in future.
He was being sarcastic.

bcsteve
05-03-2020, 03:11 PM
limit time..I know alot about guns...hunting guns and their regulations..dont know much about miltary guns other than they are designed to take life and used quickly and effectively. I,m familiar with rugers.

My point is I have hunted for over 40 years and never had a need for a hunting rifle to have more than 5 rounds. This is a hunting site . Not a gun site.
I agree and don't like he idea of a government telling me what I can and can't have . WE unfortunately have nuts like this guy in Nova Scotia who make all of us try and figure out how to prevent tragedy. In an ideal world we would have no restrictions.... and a government and justice system that practiced common sense. To believe that will ever happen is a pipe dream. If the criminal code used the teeth it has to deal with gun violence in the first place you would not need restrictions . Criminal offences that have teeth in the criminal code are not even close to being used correctly.

We have a lot of good sound existing laws that the justice system doe not use correctly. Firearm offences have teeth..never used during most sentencing , so when the shit hits the fan the gun control issues come up.

if you look at our history on hunting guns in North America, we have gone from using lever actions bolt actions and shotguns that were basic that did the job for over 100 years to all these fancy guns that have 31/2 shells ...longer ranges etc etc that take the hunting stalking and woodsmanship out of the picture. I'm old school and believe if you can't get it done with the stuff used for decades and decades get within 100 yards or so to a game animal and all of a sudden are using these modern guns that let you shoot further and further so you hunt from your truck and get out and shoot 400 yards... you shouldnt be hunting... you get my OPINION remember OPINION ..so you see I don't care if the gun companies stopped making the long guns that hold 10 rounds ..In all my years I can't remember needing anymore than two rounds while hunting big game and 3 rounds for birds.

what I do not like ......like most posters here..... is a government telling me what to do . When and where I can do activities and not giving me credit for common sense
There are alot out there that go to the gun range and shoot like they are in a war ...Shooting rapidly for many many rounds...Never seen the reason for that or the thrill.
Im old fashioned and believe common sense is just that. Unfortunately as said there are people who do stupid things that create this very post.

Did you even read what no limits and I replied to your previous post? None of those rifles could be loaded legally with more than 5 rounds.

limit time
05-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Well... It seems you’re butt hurt and was hoping that a hunting site would give you the answers you wanted.... well, guess what ? Lots of hunters are gunnies also. You seem stuck on YOUR opinion so I think you don’t want to change... again, please answer my A, B and C questions. But you won’t... so move along please. I’m sure you can find another site that aligns with YOUR views. Have a good one!

limit time
05-03-2020, 03:43 PM
My current belief is that we have enough hunters in Canada that we will be left alone for awhile. As our numbers dwindle which seems to be happening..it will be a problem. It might take 25 years... not sure .. but at our current state, most young adults don't give two cents about our hunting ....but most kids now a days are out of touch with our heritage and most Canadians don't look at where our food comes from , their own history, and that..is as dangerous as our govt.

so I get the worries here...
And what are YOU DOING to stop this ?

IronNoggin
05-03-2020, 03:50 PM
A Retired Mountie’s Perspective Liberals Gun Control

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSlwaFicJCH8k7RewHrVMLqom9cZEReNSqkCcRnKjuuU1agpi 7dw6m6JGvUb2vsAg/pub

Arctic Lake
05-03-2020, 04:02 PM
Would be good if this fella could put himself out there even more . Common Sense that needs to hit home !

Arctic Lake

A Retired Mountie’s Perspective Liberals Gun Control

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSlwaFicJCH8k7RewHrVMLqom9cZEReNSqkCcRnKjuuU1agpi 7dw6m6JGvUb2vsAg/pub

338win mag
05-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Look who comes out and wants to talk guns. Just listened to a sickening contrived couple hours of cross country checkup with Duncan McCue. I used to be able to tolerate him but now I hate him, phoney journalism, pure garbage.

Here is the big lie, and happened repeatedly... guy calls in and says.......I am a hunter, I am a farmer, I am responsible and I don't see the need for these assault rifles...I dont need that many rounds for hunting, I have been hunting and shooting for a couple years now.
Well you know what? you dont need that many, in fact with that logic you dont even need a gun to hunt, lets use bows, right?

You dont get the fact that they are going for the handguns too right? and they are going to leave it up to the municipalities to figure that out.

Heres the big one for you guys who only need one bullet to hunt with....did you ever consider that your government is going to be armed with the weapons that are banned for you? Maybe just take a few minutes and think about it, and if your still cool with that then go and look in the mirror at a complete fool.

bluesman
05-03-2020, 05:28 PM
limit time , what makes you think you have the right to tell me to move on..maybe you should run for office ....lol
I don't know any of the military guns (was never in the military )..and if some of these guns band only hold 5 rounds and are not any different than standard hunting rifles I agree they should not be banned....In my time on this planet I have seen guns in stores I don't believe the public should own , Get over it ..I have an opinion, so do you .
What are you doing to stop the government from bad decisions...enlighten me. Making statements on here certainly won't change anything..this is just merely discussion and opinions . Are you actively trying to change legislation ?

338 win mag ..the government has owned guns you don't have access to for decades...
i'm guessing in your lifetime and mine we will not be subject to tyranny and the government taking our basic freedoms away..when your old and grey and hopefully hunting in a great spot with your favorite winchester...you can say to me if I am still alive...dam bluesman was right ..I still can hunt and use my traditional hunting firearm. And if the government takes them away, you can call me up and rip me a new one.

I don't like alot of decisions this government makes ....I don't think this is going to affect our passion to hunt...... but maybe I will be proven wrong ....

338win mag
05-03-2020, 05:50 PM
Bluesman, you seem to interject alot of your personal opinion into your logic, just keep in mind its your opinion attached to your logic. Just because you dont think someone shouldn't own something means FA, as your opinion has no facts to back it up it is still an opinion. I think its a high level of selfish to think someone shouldn't own something based on an opinion.

Why not muffle all harleys? ....govern all vehicles?....close all the bars?
After all I dont like noise....people who speed.....and drinking drivers because everyone who go's the the bar drives home, right?

BriarPatch
05-03-2020, 05:54 PM
338 win mag ..the government has owned guns you don't have access to for decades...
i'm guessing in your lifetime and mine we will not be subject to tyranny and the government taking our basic freedoms away..when your old and grey and hopefully hunting in a great spot with your favorite winchester...you can say to me if I am still alive...dam bluesman was right ..I still can hunt and use my traditional hunting firearm. And if the government takes them away, you can call me up and rip me a new one. By Bluesman

Bluesman are you for real what do you think this government is doing right now and has been since it got in power you need to wake up. Much more of this and there will be nothing left of Canada for descent honest people it will be split between the government & criminals on second thoughts only the criminals since from what I see they are both the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluesman
05-03-2020, 05:55 PM
One more thing , you should be more worried about our immigration policies and our identity . The heritage this country was founded on is lacking in new generations. Most kids don't eat wild game or have a clue where their vegetables and foods come from. Most Canadians 40 and younger don't have an understanding of how our ecosystems work or the fact that IF they are generational Canadians in all likely hood, some of their relatives hunted and enjoyed it . We got by for many decades as I said before with our standard bolt actions, pumps , lever actions. As long as they leave that alone . I PERSONALLY will be happy and yes I am f the opinion that some guns we have access to are not needed.
its your neighbor who shuns when you bring home a deer that you have to worry about for they are the ones who vote for the electorate that change your lifestyle.

bluesman
05-03-2020, 06:10 PM
338 mag..say what?????
your opinion is the EXACT same thing...you are saying someone should own something based on your opinion I say they shouldn't. you think I am depriving you of ownership and I think you are depriving people of safety when it comes to SOME guns ..so you too must be selfish .
We are simply disagreeing on something...

as for closing bars ...noise etc WTF..???? getting carried away here.
In a perfect world we would not need laws..they are their because we have people who do stupid things. Its always been the minority that mess up our lives.
If you think you can change the way people behave, good luck . In the history of this country and others , laws have past that are terrible and some sound. We will see where these go from here.
Bottom line is if people all were good and responsible and law abiding we would not need government, lawyers, police . I am glad we have order in this world .
you over react to an opinion that you disagree with . I have never said this will not lead to more restrictions that affect hunting..just currently don't believe it will .

specbelly
05-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Sorry to say but I am so tired of Trudeau “the part time drama teacher turned PM” and with Ottawa. Maybe Canada doesn’t work anymore and it’s time to change. Amazing how these firearms are not acceptable for hunting unless you are a part of a different group within Canada. Can’t say I am a proud Canadian anymore

limit time
05-03-2020, 06:15 PM
One more thing , you should be more worried about our immigration policies and our identity . The heritage this country was founded on is lacking in new generations. Most kids don't eat wild game or have a clue where their vegetables and foods come from. Most Canadians 40 and younger don't have an understanding of how our ecosystems work or the fact that IF they are generational Canadians in all likely hood, some of their relatives hunted and enjoyed it . We got by for many decades as I said before with our standard bolt actions, pumps , lever actions. As long as they leave that alone . I PERSONALLY will be happy and yes I am f the opinion that some guns we have access to are not needed.
its your neighbor who shuns when you bring home a deer that you have to worry about for they are the ones who vote for the electorate that change your lifestyle.
well... you came for an answer and you answer it your self... now piss off and quit trolling....

bluesman
05-03-2020, 06:24 PM
briarpatch , believe me I am not a fan of political government. I look at them as a necessary evil. If you compare us to the rest of the world we are better off than most , but it can change..I'm just not reacting to this change as you are . If they try and take my long guns away I will be with all others and do my best to change it . I am primarily a bowhunter but still strongly believe in possession and use of hunting rifles and shotguns. I would fight for others rights to use guns so I don't think I am selfish.
I worked for a government but not in a political position so I am aware of many problems.
I have alot of experience in the whole situation that lead to these new laws.... I have no problem changing some things if it is for the express interest of safety for Canadians. Yes I have a problem if it affects our hunting heritage .

bluesman
05-03-2020, 06:26 PM
ya know limit time..its guys like you who try to internet bully I would like to meet personally in a back alley ...just you and me and a smile. LOL

bluesman
05-03-2020, 06:36 PM
briarpatch

I actually think we think quite alike about SOME of this. I am just not as alarmed as you. Maybe I should be, but I am hoping not. I don't like censorship and tons of rules but some are necessary only because of the guys like this that caused this reaction. Just disagree on the specifics of certain weapons.

BriarPatch
05-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Bluesman

This legislation does nothing for the safety of Canadians even RCMP disagree with it.

If you cannot see what has happened over the last few years then you must be stupid (I was going to say blind but that would have been an insult to a blind person) but to break it down for you more rules, a failing ca$ falling house prices less foreign investment, give everything away to the natives, reluctance by investors to invest in the country, blockades that are now causing shortages, a failure by the federal government to stop travelers from high risk countries entering Canada need I go on oh but wait lets think about the turds accomplishments legalize weed, divide the country, take guns away from legitimate owners whilst going soft on crime and the people who commit crimes with guns. But there is more give away money to spurious organizations and countries adding to our deficit whilst people in this country struggle!!!

In five years we have gone from a respected world power to a joke with an embarrassment for a leader.

I could say a lot more but would probably get banned and its not worth arguing with an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluesman
05-03-2020, 07:02 PM
name calling now..perhaps you need to take some anger management courses ...LOL no LMAO. stick with the topic and READ and COMPREHEND... I am an idiot now and stupid...really
never said I liked this government. I'm realistic and realize that although trudeau is likely one of the worst prime ministers if not the worst we have had in our history we live in a pretty good country. Is he messing it up ...yup.....alot of real bad decisions yup. If you hate it here, maybe you should move to iraq or iran or afghanistan or some of these other eastern block european countries where you see true tyranny . See how that works out for you .

when your long guns are taken away as said..rip me a new one.

one last question , can you not have a civil discussion on a hotly debated topic ???

bluesman
05-03-2020, 07:04 PM
or better yet run for office and make changes and quit ranting .

GreyDog
05-03-2020, 07:16 PM
bluesman,

You have made the statement that the owners of semi-automatic rifles are depriving people of safety. On what, exactly, do you base this assertion? It certainly is not based on the large numbers of homicides involving these particular rifles because there simply is not a large number of homicides involving these rifles. In fact, the total number of homicides involving rifles in total is quite small (59 in 2018. This out of a total of about 250). There is no readily available info on just how many of these which were accomplished with "military-type assault rifles" but I'm willing to bet it was less than half. Oh, and please don't trot out the "if it saves one life" mantra.
We are much too ready to give up personal liberty in the interest of a perception of safety. Some, like you, apparently, are even more ready to sacrifice someone else's liberty. I have still not heard or seen any evidence that this ban of semi auto rifles will, in any way improve the safety of Canadians. It certainly won't improve safety to the extent that sensible drug and alcohol addiction treatment will. Or how about a serious effort targeting organized crime? Clamp down on gangs. These are things which would target the people who do commit the crimes rather than those who do not and would be much more likely to improve safety for law abiding Canadians. GD

limit time
05-03-2020, 07:16 PM
ya know limit time..its guys like you who try to internet bully I would like to meet personally in a back alley ...just you and me and a smile. LOL

wow... take note people ! This person wants to harm me !! Get his IP and call da cops !!! My life could be in danger ...( I’ll keep this for the red flag laws)

limit time
05-03-2020, 07:19 PM
or better yet run for office and make changes and quit ranting .
Quit trolling

bluesman
05-03-2020, 07:55 PM
greydog

I don't think I have mentioned banning semi auto guns...just guns capable of more than five rounds. A semi auto with 5 rounds is a legit hunting gun as long as it is the right length etc... if I have ...show me the quote... but pretty sure I didn't. If I did mentioned them and the way it was written it it looked like that... that was not my intention...I don't think I did but don't want to reread all the posts. Got no problem with semi auto hunting guns with five rounds. Personally I don't want one . I like the bolt action I have and my ruger #1's . I have hunted for 45 years and never needed more than two shots. but I practiced a lot with firearms when i was a kid and like to think I am fairly proficient. Few years ago after not hunting with a rifle for 15 years (bowhunting) I entered a shooting competition with my good friend and his encouragement with some serious shooters and still placed in the middle of the pack . Had a 1.78 inch grouping of five shots at 200 yards with a standard hunting rifle. It was a Ruger number 1 in .308 Beautiful gun and nice wood grain.
i think you guys think I am some kind of right wing liberal .LOL nope....just a guy who thinks this is not the tip of the iceberg. As said hope i'm wrong.

there's an old saying ..when guns are outlawed..only outlaws will have guns...its true.... but are we heading there now ? I don't think so.

bluesman
05-03-2020, 08:02 PM
limit time....your laughable and predictable ...why not stick to a debate and stop this rhetoric...(language used to persuade but often lacking in sincerity or meaningul content ) guessing you might have to look it up so I helped you.

BriarPatch
05-03-2020, 08:13 PM
Bluesman

You do not see the irony of your comment, we are going into uncharted territory with no plan for economic recovery I am looking at my investments and seeing a sharp decline if I am seeing it so are others Canada is not the only country to invest in it used to be a good safe place to invest but not any more without foreign & domestic investment it will never recover from this recession at the very least people will be paying off the debt for decades. Bringing in new rules that achieve nothing that are controversial goes against encouraging investment, giving everything to the natives is discouraging, constant pandering to the left is a discouragement. For the last few years Canada has said we are closed for business we have upset our largest trading partner and yet you still support this tool of a pm, so yes I am angry.

This pm has used this latest tragedy committed by a madman with no PAL/RPAL using illegally held guns, with a fake police car and uniform to further his UN cause and you support him, yet you support him. So yes I am angry

You claim to be a gun owner, you may not agree with people having these weapons and they may not agree with yours but the fact is they are held legally and we should all stand shoulder to shoulder and not bow to this tyranny. The next will be handguns then hunting rifles, then shotguns by the time you grow a pair and stand up there will be no one left. Many great Generals have used the phrase "Divide & Conquer" and that is exactly what the TURD is doing. Whilst on the subject start thinking about the cost of your ammunition and repairs when these guns are gone a huge segment of sales will be gone so prices will rise, many people will simply no longer have the funds to shoot and therefore no use for their guns do you get the picture?

How many of your friends, family, neighbours work in this industry I know many of mine do, they are good honest people not criminals but are being treated worse than criminala and yet you still support this tool of a pm. So yes I am angry

This is not just about guns it is about our rights and due process in a democratic country something that you seem so quick to give up. So yes I am angry

As for your comments about running for office it has been considered but after working on the most recent Conservative campaign the jury is still out as they say. I am an optimistic person but after that campaign realized that there are too many people with no skin in the game who still have a right to vote.

The problem with all you liberals you dream up all these ideas to buy votes but don't have to pay for them. So yes once again I am angry.

I could say much more but it would be a waste of time your mind is obviously made up you are simply a person who would rather live on your knees than stand up and fight this tyranny and abuse of our democratic system. I hope you enjoy your post national state.

Myself I am Canadian and will fight for what is right even if I do not agree with everything.

338win mag
05-03-2020, 08:21 PM
Bluesman

You do not see the irony of your comment, we are going into uncharted territory with no plan for economic recovery I am looking at my investments and seeing a sharp decline if I am seeing it so are others Canada is not the only country to invest in it used to be a good safe place to invest but not any more without foreign & domestic investment it will never recover from this recession at the very least people will be paying off the debt for decades. Bringing in new rules that achieve nothing that are controversial goes against encouraging investment, giving everything to the natives is discouraging, constant pandering to the left is a discouragement. For the last few years Canada has said we are closed for business we have upset our largest trading partner and yet you still support this tool of a pm, so yes I am angry.

This pm has used this latest tragedy committed by a madman with no PAL/RPAL using illegally held guns, with a fake police car and uniform to further his UN cause and you support him, yet you support him. So yes I am angry

You claim to be a gun owner, you may not agree with people having these weapons and they may not agree with yours but the fact is they are held legally and we should all stand shoulder to shoulder and not bow to this tyranny. The next will be handguns then hunting rifles, then shotguns by the time you grow a pair and stand up there will be no one left. Many great Generals have used the phrase "Divide & Conquer" and that is exactly what the TURD is doing. Whilst on the subject start thinking about the cost of your ammunition and repairs when these guns are gone a huge segment of sales will be gone so prices will rise, many people will simply no longer have the funds to shoot and therefore no use for their guns do you get the picture?

How many of your friends, family, neighbours work in this industry I know many of mine do, they are good honest people not criminals but are being treated worse than criminala and yet you still support this tool of a pm. So yes I am angry

This is not just about guns it is about our rights and due process in a democratic country something that you seem so quick to give up. So yes I am angry

As for your comments about running for office it has been considered but after working on the most recent Conservative campaign the jury is still out as they say. I am an optimistic person but after that campaign realized that there are too many people with no skin in the game who still have a right to vote.

The problem with all you liberals you dream up all these ideas to buy votes but don't have to pay for them. So yes once again I am angry.

I could say much more but it would be a waste of time your mind is obviously made up you are simply a person who would rather live on your knees than stand up and fight this tyranny and abuse of our democratic system. I hope you enjoy your post national state.

Myself I am Canadian and will fight for what is right even if I do not agree with everything.
well written^^^^

limit time
05-03-2020, 08:21 PM
limit time....your laughable and predictable ...why not stick to a debate and stop this rhetoric...(language used to persuade but often lacking in sincerity or meaningul content ) guessing you might have to look it up so I helped you.
You threatened me...so we are done. And you are dumb... haha lol !

bluesman
05-03-2020, 09:25 PM
briarpatch
a lot of good points but I am not a liberal . I don't support trudeau I am just a guy who is not at this point worried about my right to own long guns that you can legally hunt with. I think our PM is the worst in history,
I have first hand knowledge of crazy gun man so I get why they want to make changes. Are they going about it the right way? only the future will tell. I know this if a crazy guy has to stop to reload..there is time to deal with him.

I will stand shoulder to shoulder with any canadian if they try too take our long guns away.
I am not a fan of guns that hold more than 5 rounds...for civilians.
I dont believe we will ever be taken over by GOVT . If we ever live in times where we have to truly fight for our rights with weapons then I will be wrong.
In the history of both the U.S. and Canada ..major incidents cause changes in laws...right or wrong .
We live in one of the most free countries in the world.
some of the countries that have no gun laws are more violent and dangerous to live in and I do't think you would want to live there.
it would be great to have no gun laws and have a peaceful safe society but it is a pipe dream because mental illness is a reality and a belief that we can all get along is a pipe dream.
As much as all of us want no restrictions it is the majority who get affected by the minority. That goes for guns, auto insurance etc etc , many regulations in municipalities provinces and nation wide are because a small segment of society ruin it.
if you think you have the answers to all the problems ...you are the smartest guy I will ever converse with.

I'm done too enjoyed this topic. glad it stayed on point.well almost ...limit time ? lol

338win mag
05-04-2020, 06:14 AM
greydog

I don't think I have mentioned banning semi auto guns...just guns capable of more than five rounds. A semi auto with 5 rounds is a legit hunting gun as long as it is the right length etc... if I have ...show me the quote... but pretty sure I didn't. If I did mentioned them and the way it was written it it looked like that... that was not my intention...I don't think I did but don't want to reread all the posts. Got no problem with semi auto hunting guns with five rounds. Personally I don't want one . I like the bolt action I have and my ruger #1's . I have hunted for 45 years and never needed more than two shots. but I practiced a lot with firearms when i was a kid and like to think I am fairly proficient. Few years ago after not hunting with a rifle for 15 years (bowhunting) I entered a shooting competition with my good friend and his encouragement with some serious shooters and still placed in the middle of the pack . Had a 1.78 inch grouping of five shots at 200 yards with a standard hunting rifle. It was a Ruger number 1 in .308 Beautiful gun and nice wood grain.
i think you guys think I am some kind of right wing liberal .LOL nope....just a guy who thinks this is not the tip of the iceberg. As said hope i'm wrong.

there's an old saying ..when guns are outlawed..only outlaws will have guns...its true.... but are we heading there now ? I don't think so.
You realize its already 5 rnds max right?
I'm confused about your position, are semi-auto's ok with you or not? The fact that your a "firearms owner" and retired law enforcement requires you to know what the law is presently and has been for some time now.

GreyDog
05-04-2020, 06:52 AM
Any repeating rifle can be made to hold more than five rounds. Hell, I have two lee Enfields which hold ten and, given a day to accomplish the conversion, I can have a 223 which holds thirty.
While you may not have mentioned banning semi-auto rifles, that is precisely what the government is doing and you have stated your support for the Liberal Party's action in this regard.
Anyone who believes civilians do not deserve to be as well armed as the military and police is a person who believe the people should be servants of the government and controlled by the military and police.
You say we will never be "taken over by government". By this I assume you mean we will always have freedom of self determination, freedom of movement, freedom of association, freedom to gather or worship but wait, the government is limiting those freedoms right now! Don't tell me they would never do it.
If mental illness is a reality, why not try to deal with the mental illness rather than penalize the rest of society because a small minority is mentally ill? I can tell you why. It is because the majority are peaceful and law abiding; up to a point.GD

Huntingtyler123
05-04-2020, 06:59 AM
Great post grey dog

bcsteve
05-04-2020, 07:34 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/canada-firearm-ban-violence-against-women-advocates-1.5553689

Have a read for those who think that their “hunting rifles” are safe.

Hunting rifles and handgunsThe report suggests intimacy and rurality increase the risk of femicide for women and girls, which raises questions about licensed long guns.

"In the murder of women, we most often see hunting rifles used, because they are ready [at] hand in an escalating situation often," said Dale.
"Additionally, we see the rates of domestic violence much higher in rural areas … and that's where we see those guns."

Surrey Boy
05-04-2020, 07:44 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/canada-firearm-ban-violence-against-women-advocates-1.5553689

Have a read for those who think that their “hunting rifles” are safe.

Hunting rifles and handgunsThe report suggests intimacy and rurality increase the risk of femicide for women and girls, which raises questions about licensed long guns.

"In the murder of women, we most often see hunting rifles used, because they are ready [at] hand in an escalating situation often," said Dale.
"Additionally, we see the rates of domestic violence much higher in rural areas … and that's where we see those guns."

Horsey girls are more likely to get shot than cat women?

No surprise there.

Citori54
05-04-2020, 08:11 AM
Hunting partner sent me the following:

Want to stop drunk drivers from killing sober drivers: ban sober drivers from driving. That's how gun control works.

Spy
05-04-2020, 08:32 AM
So is our sissy boy getting his orders from China, and this is the reason they are making their move now?
We know China wants war and why would they not attack while their enemy is sick with a virus they created ?
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/chinese-report-warns-potential-war-us-over-coronavirus-backlash

Arctic Lake
05-04-2020, 09:02 AM
Many have stated that it seems like every 100 years or so a major world wide event takes place usually not a good one !
We have Covid already creating havoc . Hope this does not lead to a war !
Arctic Lake

steel_ram
05-04-2020, 09:36 AM
China wouldn't stand a chance against the USA unless it was on Chinese ground. That is assuming that the USA would come running to help weaker nations, which in this day and age is not guaranteed. Depends on what deals buddy boy is willing to make with his friends. Doubt he wants China being his neighbour.

Spy
05-04-2020, 09:48 AM
China wouldn't stand a chance against the USA unless it was on Chinese ground. That is assuming that the USA would come running to help weaker nations, which in this day and age is not guaranteed. Depends on what deals buddy boy is willing to make with his friends. Doubt he wants China being his neighbour.
He is a Globalist and they are in bed with China, our POS has praised China on many occasions.

Bollo
05-04-2020, 11:46 AM
For those not concerned because the current ban doesn't affect most hunting rifles, have a read of this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadaguns/comments/gdec16/this_is_whats_coming_next/

"They know that a ban on hunting rifles and shotguns will have very bad optics, but they feel they will be able to get away with central storage. The argument will be made that if the gun isn't readily available, it can save the lives of women and those who might re-think their suicide if they don't have their firearm handy, while not infringing on the rights of hunters by banning their firearms."

"I've also heard some rumblings about modifying the requirements for a PAL or RPAL. They will want you to prove that you are either a hunter or a sport shooter. "

Obviously it's Reddit and could just be someone talking crap, so please weigh that with what you're reading.

Ron.C
05-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Hunting partner sent me the following:

Want to stop drunk drivers from killing sober drivers: ban sober drivers from driving. That's how gun control works.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/gun4.jpg

Gateholio
05-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Hunting rifles are on the list now

The report suggests intimacy and rurality increase the risk of femicide for women and girls, which raises questions about licensed long guns.

Jamesonm
05-04-2020, 01:46 PM
Buy a sea can. Burry said sea can in your backyard. Stash your goods. Tunnel in.

James Bond style.

IronNoggin
05-04-2020, 01:55 PM
What To Do: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?158440-OIC-Action-Items

Citori54
05-04-2020, 02:58 PM

Even better Ron. Thanks.

338win mag
05-04-2020, 05:30 PM
Don't give Trudeau any idea's.

bigredchev
05-04-2020, 06:13 PM
The work has lost logic. Everything from here on in is a luntatic with posture.

join the ccfr, and if you haven’t you are a part of the problem.

BriarPatch
05-04-2020, 07:34 PM
Earlier today I had a discussion on this topic with a liberal. Initially he was ok with the ban but when I pointed out that this had been done with an OIC to avoid discussion he started to think about things in a different way. As the conversation went on he realized that a similar order could be made about anything as a way to bypass democracy. Suddenly he was not ok with it and this made me realize that as we speak with non gun owners we need to point out the way it has been done to circumvent due process as well as the costs and futility of the law and how it will achieve nothing but cost them $billions. As a non gun owner he was also totally unaware of the licencing procedure and thought that anyone just walked into a store chose a gun and walked out with it so this is another area where the public needs education.

Iron Noggin I applaud your effort and will finish off the letters etc. and get them sent off tomorrow. I hope everyone else does too

bluesman
05-05-2020, 12:44 PM
I am a man of integrity and it appears I am wrong..all you on here who want to rip me a new one..have at it.

I just read that Blair is banning some type of shotguns and some hunting rifles...it may indeed be the tip of the iceberg .

I am not a delusional person , I trusted GOVT ONCE and am being shown it was foolish .

My Apologies to all on this site in this matter.

Common sense is not being used and I am guessing there was no consultation with experts who could inform these idiots and yup I have to use the word idiots..
on which firearms should be considered for banning.

When your leader (who as I always said I think is our worst in history . At least I got that right.) lies by saying the hunting rifles and shotguns wil not be prohibited and starts doing it in a bold face lie I am shown to be a trusting fool.

IronNoggin
05-05-2020, 01:10 PM
I just read that Blair is banning some type of shotguns and some hunting rifles...it may indeed be the tip of the iceberg ...

First: I admire a Man who can realize he has been lead astray, and openly admits that to all. Well Done.

Whether by intent or simply blind ignorance, most modern 12 gauge shotguns that utilize screw-in chokes, and the majority of 10 gauge shotguns are now considered Prohibited Assault Weapons. The legalese can be found here:

https://www.csaaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SOR2020-96-CSAAA-Legal-Opinion-re-12-gauge-shotguns.pdf

They now join a target 22 caliber rifle, and four bolt action rifles as well.

This is NOT about "assault weapons" whatsoever.

It IS all about CONTROL.

Nog

wideopenthrottle
05-05-2020, 01:34 PM
wow...good on ya bluesman..it is the semi educated (pun intended) that come from hunting/shooting/law enforcement backgrounds that often add to public misinformation by interjecting opinion into facts about gun control. When the failed long gun registry came along I had to shake my head at how many people with granpa's shotgun in their attic said how they were gonna "get rid of it"...I actually managed to pick up a wingmaster 870 for 50 bucks...I can only imagine how many of these guns were "flushed out" and onto the streets as a consequence of the imposed registry. now the Same thing will occur with these semi autos and we can thank these miscreants in office for a crap load of semi auto rifles getting flushed out. it will accomplish the opposite of the stated intent

twoSevenO
05-05-2020, 02:29 PM
I got this email from gunnutz (i don't frequent the forum):

CanadianGunNutz

Legal experts have just determined the OIC issued last Friday has effectively rendered all 12ga and 10ga shotguns, as well as many common big game rifles, ILLEGAL. Please see the release by CSAAA, a trade organization of Canadian firearms businesses. The OIC has essentially outlawed 99% bird hunting and shotgun deer hunting! Retailers are advised to stop the sale of all 12ga and 10ga shotguns, and many large game hunting rifles.

If you google 12 gauge diameter, it comes up as 18.5mm, not 20 ..... so where are they getting that 12gauge guns are prohibited now?
I'm seeing this on instagram as well, and i don't get it.

What am i missing here?

IronNoggin
05-05-2020, 02:42 PM
What am i missing here?

Back up two posts to # 180...

wideopenthrottle
05-05-2020, 02:53 PM
link in post 180

twoSevenO
05-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Back up two posts to # 180...

diameter with chokes removed!? If chokes were installed from the factory, would you really run into any trouble while having them in?

Any cops on here that can chime in whether this is something that would be enforced to quite that level?

I mean, are there guns out there that fail to satisfy the minimum length requirements if, for example, the recoil pad is removed from the end of the gun? Would you be in trouble, because it could POTENTIALLY be under the minimum length, even though it came with a recoil pad from the factory?

pg83
05-05-2020, 03:02 PM
I got this email from gunnutz (i don't frequent the forum):

CanadianGunNutz

Legal experts have just determined the OIC issued last Friday has effectively rendered all 12ga and 10ga shotguns, as well as many common big game rifles, ILLEGAL. Please see the release by CSAAA, a trade organization of Canadian firearms businesses. The OIC has essentially outlawed 99% bird hunting and shotgun deer hunting! Retailers are advised to stop the sale of all 12ga and 10ga shotguns, and many large game hunting rifles.

If you google 12 gauge diameter, it comes up as 18.5mm, not 20 ..... so where are they getting that 12gauge guns are prohibited now?
I'm seeing this on instagram as well, and i don't get it.

What am i missing here?

This may not apply to every single shotgun out there, but generally speaking, if they are threaded out they would exceed 20mm and would now be illegal. It does not(generally) apply to fixed choke 10 and 12 gauge shotguns(as per your google search regarding diameters).

People tend to make a mess of things when power is involved by using targeted wording to provoke an emotional response that will suit their own opinions/desires/needs/whatever. This is true no matter which side of the fence you are on. And it is being done(and has always been) by both sides.

My biggest issue with this whole thing is not the specific guns on the list(it seems far too poorly designed to take seriously tbh), but how it all came to pass in the first place. Using the OIC to circumvent normal democratic proceedings for this was a mistake on the Liberals part in my opinion. It has its place in governance, but this wasn't it and I hope it bites them in the ass. This was simply a political maneuver to "prove" to the Liberal supporters that their (minority)government is acting upon its campaign promises...

Oh, and just maybe it was designed to divide us all a little further... you know... United we stand, divided we fall

Rob Chipman
05-05-2020, 03:50 PM
pg83 wrote:

"And it is being done(and has always been) by both sides."

I think a lot of people think this - that is, that there are two sides.

There isn't.

There are 3.

First are firearms owners, who a a result of legislation and personal interest tend to be more educated about firearms and more familiar with current regulations.

Second are people who don't like guns, fear guns or both. There is no requirement for them to know much about the regulations or firearms. Some may be well informed, but most are not. (This is why you can ask the two sharp questions: 1) do you know what the current rules are? 2) If you don't know what the current rules are, how do you know that we need more of them?)

For what it's worth these two groups can argue until the end of time and never agree. No big deal. What's more, neither group really benefits from the argument or any solution to the argument.

And then there is group number 3. That group misleads, misinforms and divides citizens, friends and family. You've seen that division happen this past few days as you see your FB friends cheer the confiscation of your private property for no good reason.

A guy who has appeared multiple times in blackface (and made himself the victim), been accused of inappropriate sexual behaviour, has a history of cultural appropriation, has some fairly serious ethical breaches under his belt, and who has a history of saying some really stupid things, and who finds himself hanging on to power with a minority government that looks, for all intents and purposes, to be run by his second in command, has mislead, misrepresented and divided.

And what does he get? A lot of renewed support from group 2.

Anyway, that's my read. I think it's important to understand that there aren't two sides to this.

There's three.

And two of the groups really haven't done much wrong.

(to be fair to pg83, he clearly see what the Libs are up to).

338win mag
05-05-2020, 04:04 PM
bluesman
Your integrity is refreshing to see, thank you for that!

limit time
05-05-2020, 04:11 PM
I am a man of integrity and it appears I am wrong..all you on here who want to rip me a new one..have at it.

I just read that Blair is banning some type of shotguns and some hunting rifles...it may indeed be the tip of the iceberg .

I am not a delusional person , I trusted GOVT ONCE and am being shown it was foolish .

Common sense is not being used and I am guessing there was no consultation with experts who could inform these idiots and yup I have to use the word idiots..

When your leader (who as I always said I think is our worst in history . At least I got that right.) lies by saying the hunting rifles and shotguns wil not be prohibited and starts doing it in a bold face lie I am shown to be a trusting fool.

Welcome to the party ! lets defend our rights to own guns and use them for all activities!

GreyDog
05-05-2020, 04:58 PM
That business about the threaded barrel turning a 12 gauge into a 10 is pure BS and shows how some can misinterpret if they want to. If I counter bore my 308 for two inches at the muzzle, that will not turn it into a 358. Let's not be foolish. GD

sammer
05-05-2020, 05:29 PM
greydog

See here is where the problem lies!!!!
There are no legal centerfire rifles in Canada that can legally have a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.
All the guns that were banned this week were limited to 5 round mag capacity.
They are no different from the rifle you hunt with, except they may have more plastic in the stock!
Some of these guns were restricted, you had to have an RPAL to possess. but a great deal of them were none restricted hunting rifles.
Not one was anymore dangerous than the rifle your grandpa used to fill the freezer.

And don't kid yourself, the liberals have said they want a ban like New Zealand. There pump and lever actions were banned. The venerable Cooey Model 60 .22 was banned!
It's only a matter of time before you will be saying "but, but, but, you can't take my hunting rifle"!

sam

bluesman
05-06-2020, 01:32 PM
I have already signed a petition. Hopefully when the opposition can sit we will get this all changed. Thanks for accepting my apologizes.

silveragent
05-06-2020, 01:54 PM
On those who are hinging their hopes on the promises of politicians, look at this clip from 2010 (https://albertapressleader.ca/2010-video-surfaces-of-justin-trudeau-saying-he-wouldnt-ban-guns/) where a much younger Justin Trudeau said he wasn't going to ban any guns in response to a question asking him to defend registration.

".. by making guns a thing we can track. The fear is that this is a first step toward registering your guns is just the first step toward taking away guns. That's never going to happen because here in Canada we have a culture that has grown up with guns and respects the need to go out to the wilderness and shoot things from time to time."

Spy
05-06-2020, 02:07 PM
To all you closet Liberals out there that hate Trump and the Rebel media must be because they are both PRO GUNS! Oh please tell me again that the Rebel is Fake news, you know who you are and Ive drawn a line in the sand you are not my friends and I dont like you Ive put up with your Liberal crap for long enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJAnMtDfVkY

steel_ram
05-06-2020, 02:19 PM
What does the above have to do with knowing Trump is shit and anybody that still thinks he's for the regular guy is an idiot?

wideopenthrottle
05-06-2020, 02:31 PM
That business about the threaded barrel turning a 12 gauge into a 10 is pure BS and shows how some can misinterpret if they want to. If I counter bore my 308 for two inches at the muzzle, that will not turn it into a 358. Let's not be foolish. GD
but the max diameter of the bore would be 358 based on a legal(?) definition of how to measure the bore...you are observing a flaw in the definition and that flaw is open to legal interpretation...for the government to just say "that's not what I meant" doesn't cut it!! IMHO

Spy
05-06-2020, 02:48 PM
What does the above have to do with knowing Trump is shit and anybody that still thinks he's for the regular guy is an idiot?

Lots you anti gun liberals pretending to be pro gun make me sick, so Im done explaining anything to you, you can all fac off....

steel_ram
05-06-2020, 03:02 PM
Lots you anti gun liberals pretending to be pro gun make me sick, so Im done explaining anything to you, you can all fac off....

Trying to slip in some of your pro Trump agenda into another completely unrelated issue. Hmmm. There's a word for that. Hey, when's Hillary going to jail? Probably after me because apparently I'm automatically a criminal now.

BriarPatch
05-06-2020, 03:06 PM
Bluesman glad you are aboard.

This is not just about guns it is about democracy and due process.

All Canadians need to stand together to save our country, we are Canadians not subjects of a post national state.

Spy
05-06-2020, 03:25 PM
Trying to slip in some of your pro Trump agenda into another completely unrelated issue. Hmmm. There's a word for that. Hey, when's Hillary going to jail? Probably after me because apparently I'm automatically a criminal now.

Is Trump Pro Gun ? Yes he Is! Is Rebel Media Pro Gun? Yes they are! This thread is about? Hillary will be going to jail or hung for HIGH treason...

Citori54
05-06-2020, 03:29 PM

No need to rip you a new one. You realize that you were wrong and have stated so. Good on you. It takes a person of some integrity to admit when he is wrong, something our idiot PM has never learned. You think he would have learned the lesson by now seeing he is wrong so often.

303savage
05-06-2020, 03:44 PM
A drunk driving a car can do the same thing.

pg83
05-06-2020, 04:09 PM
pg83 wrote:

"And it is being done(and has always been) by both sides."

I think a lot of people think this - that is, that there are two sides.

There isn't.

There are 3.

First are firearms owners, who a a result of legislation and personal interest tend to be more educated about firearms and more familiar with current regulations.

Second are people who don't like guns, fear guns or both. There is no requirement for them to know much about the regulations or firearms. Some may be well informed, but most are not. (This is why you can ask the two sharp questions: 1) do you know what the current rules are? 2) If you don't know what the current rules are, how do you know that we need more of them?)

For what it's worth these two groups can argue until the end of time and never agree. No big deal. What's more, neither group really benefits from the argument or any solution to the argument.

And then there is group number 3. That group misleads, misinforms and divides citizens, friends and family. You've seen that division happen this past few days as you see your FB friends cheer the confiscation of your private property for no good reason.

A guy who has appeared multiple times in blackface (and made himself the victim), been accused of inappropriate sexual behaviour, has a history of cultural appropriation, has some fairly serious ethical breaches under his belt, and who has a history of saying some really stupid things, and who finds himself hanging on to power with a minority government that looks, for all intents and purposes, to be run by his second in command, has mislead, misrepresented and divided.

And what does he get? A lot of renewed support from group 2.

Anyway, that's my read. I think it's important to understand that there aren't two sides to this.

There's three.

And two of the groups really haven't done much wrong.

(to be fair to pg83, he clearly see what the Libs are up to).

Well said Rob. I should have chosen my wording better with regards to "both sides of the fence".

I think it is important to point out for anyone who didn't catch it that your third group of misinformants is made of folks from either side of the fence(in this case political). We have more than a few on this site who qualify and they are indeed proving this to be correct in this thread among many others.

We are fortunate to live in a time where information is more readily available than it has ever been before, but we still need to have the individual ability to sift through all the BS to find our own truth.

steel_ram
05-06-2020, 04:17 PM
Is Trump Pro Gun ? Yes he Is! Is Rebel Media Pro Gun? Yes they are! This thread is about? Hillary will be going to jail or hung for HIGH treason...

Trump is pro anything that suits his own interests. I new you'd welch on our bet anyways.

Spy
05-06-2020, 04:22 PM
Trump is pro anything that suits his own interests. I new you'd welch on our bet anyways.
Lol did we set a time limit ? Where are you situated I will come drop off a 15 pack of lucky for you...
please explain to everyone here how being pro gun suites Trumps interests ?

GreyDog
05-06-2020, 04:22 PM
but the max diameter of the bore would be 358 based on a legal(?) definition of how to measure the bore...you are observing a flaw in the definition and that flaw is open to legal interpretation...for the government to just say "that's not what I meant" doesn't cut it!! IMHO

Ultimately, this is a lot like the controversy over permanent barrel extensions on M1 Carbines back in the late '70's. I did a ton of them. I received a call from the firearms office of the RCMP telling me to desist; I declined. The government lawyer told me it was his opinion that they would win if it went to court. I told him his opinion didn't count. I said I would be travelling a total of eighty miles, every day for the next week, with one of these rifles in the car, with my extension in place. I invited them to charge me and arrest me. I gave them the route and the times and called every day for the week to remind them. Nothing happened and I continued to perform the same alteration for the next ten years or so, by which time the market dried up. If the government wants to try and pull this crap again, I'll counterbore a 308 barrel to 20mm and invite the RCMP to charge me and take me to court. I'm willing to bet they will, once again, decline to do so. GD

steel_ram
05-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Lol did we set a time limit ? Where are you situated I will come drop off a 15 pack of lucky for you...
please explain to everyone here how being pro gun suites Trumps interests ?

No I inadvertently didn't set a time limit but I realized after, you'd use that to weasle out. It's a Trump kinda thing to do LOL. I don't drink. Your offering beer now is only self serving. Your a fake. Share your beer at the next pajama party up in the Highlands, I'm sure your all going into withdrawal.

Trump is pro-gun: for one he might like guns, his spawn does, but mainly he wants the powerful NRA on his side. . . . but you know that, with your "big brain" and all.

BriarPatch
05-06-2020, 07:25 PM
I don't want to derail this tread but I find it really hard to understand why so many are anti Trump. All he has done is look out for America & Americans of course that is what a leader of a country is supposed to do when elected at least that's what I thought.

Whats the Turd done for Canadians? Other than turn a once thriving country respected around the world into a joke and an embarrassment. Oh wait he legalized weed but failed to bring in the laws to cope with impaired driving so instead brought in new laws far more draconian, made multiple attempts to seize power as part of this pandemic, is now seizing guns with an OIC because he can. SNC do I need to go on.

I know who I would rather have as a leader especially leading us out of this economic dumpster that he has created

HarryToolips
05-06-2020, 09:06 PM
^^^^I agree....much of the hate against Trump is because much of the media is left-leaning and portray Trump as evil person , and the sheeple fall for it...

steel_ram
05-07-2020, 07:19 AM
If Trump would know when to keep his mouth shut the evil media wouldn't have any ammunition. The media can use actual Trump quotes and footage to bury him. His lies are obvious. It's undeniable, yet foolish to ignore. Yet some people still do.

butthead
05-07-2020, 07:42 AM
https://firearmrights.ca/en/we-are-going-to-court/

Spy
05-07-2020, 08:43 AM
No I inadvertently didn't set a time limit but I realized after, you'd use that to weasle out. It's a Trump kinda thing to do LOL. I don't drink. Your offering beer now is only self serving. Your a fake. Share your beer at the next pajama party up in the Highlands, I'm sure your all going into withdrawal.

Trump is pro-gun: for one he might like guns, his spawn does, but mainly he wants the powerful NRA on his side. . . . but you know that, with your "big brain" and all.

I insist please let me know where you live I will come drop off a sack of beer or a box of Tim Horton’s coffee.. I would love to meat you.

bangbangkhan
05-07-2020, 10:27 AM
https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-2574&utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=f0edb197b9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_05_04_03_26&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_70b61ed1ff-f0edb197b9-90839223&mc_cid=f0edb197b9&mc_eid=9e461284b7

barongan
05-07-2020, 11:41 AM
This action is an overly-expensive, do-nothing piece of legislation, produced ENTIRELY to cater to the anti's votes and nothing else.
At a time when our public coffers are being rapidly drained, it is incredibly foolish to proceed with it now.
But, there were the warm bodies to make hay on, and trust the liberals never to miss out on such an "opportunity".

Interestingly, Trudeau and Blair backed off substantially in their plans.
Instead of outright bans & confiscation, they are offering two year amnesties for all concerned, a choice between "grandfathering" (you keep the firearm in question until you die, then surrender to government) or surrender now for a below cost offering from the feds.

Interesting in that these actions are pretty well guaranteed to tick off folks on both sides to the equation. The owners are incensed for being taken to task for actions they are in no way even remotely related to. While the anti's are already screaming Blue Murder that This Does Not Go Far Enough.

Another point of interest is that Trudeau announced this "Will not effect First Nations who utilize these firearms for hunting purposes". Bizarre. On one hand no-one needs any of those scary rifles listed to hunt with. But... the poor FN's get to keep them just for that purpose? There are a few areas I can immediately think of that recognize their local FN gangs are not using their AK's for "hunting purposes"...

In his haste to capitalize on our latest tragedy, Trudeau may very well have shot himself in the foot as all concerned are left shaking their heads at his blatant politicizing of such atrocious events.

Time will tell, but this extremely poorly thought out and imposed (OIC) legislation is perhaps headed towards the same end as the ill fated Firearm Registration Program imposed by another set of liberals in a previous lifetime...

I'll be ticking the Grandfather Box, and doing what I can to fight this BS in as many arenas as possible.

In a way it almost would have been preferred to see outright bans and confiscation. We had a plan, a way to fight that which would have cost them dearly. Now, we have to rethink these issues and determine another route. Greater minds than mine are already at that task...

In the meantime I desperately hope the Conservatives get their shit together SOON!
We need them to flip this BS after the next election.
Certainly wish Pierre Poilievre were going to be leading that charge...
great sharehttps://babang.xyz/assets/11/o.png

steel_ram
05-09-2020, 09:10 AM
I insist please let me know where you live I will come drop off a sack of beer or a box of Tim Horton’s coffee.. I would love to meat you.

You already have.;)

IronNoggin
05-09-2020, 10:20 AM
RCMP Deletes ‘Grandfathering’ Option From Web Page on Rifle Bans

The RCMP deleted the option for so-called “grandfathering” this week from its web page (https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/need-know-the-government-canadas-new-prohibition-certain-firearms-and-devices) on the government’s mass rifle confiscations, igniting concern owners will face jail unless they surrender their guns within two years.

https://thegunblog.ca/2020/05/09/rcmp-deletes-grandfathering-option-from-web-page-on-rifle-bans/

IronNoggin
05-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Quite something when even your pet paid for media speaks out against your actions:

Latest gun control effort isn't merely a failure. It corrodes trust among Canadians

There is more than one way to look at the federal Liberal government's announcement of a ban on certain models of semi-automatic rifles (https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-gun-control-measures-ban-1.5552131): as illogical symbolism that will do nothing to advance public safety; as a waste of scarce public funds; as craven wedge politics.

Canadians who have followed a rigorous process to obtain a licence to purchase a firearm accept that the privilege of ownership can be revoked if it is poses an unreasonable danger. It is a far different thing to render their property unlawful for use simply so that the government can be seen to be doing something.

In short, the government is criminalizing some people's property not because it will make anyone safer, but because it can – because it knows that the political benefits far outweigh any loss in popularity among people who were probably not inclined to vote Liberal in the first place.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opinion-gun-control-politics-1.5556541

Redthies
05-09-2020, 07:34 PM
diameter with chokes removed!? If chokes were installed from the factory, would you really run into any trouble while having them in?

Any cops on here that can chime in whether this is something that would be enforced?

I called the RCMP today and said “I’m taking my 12 gauge turkey hunting on Monday. Are you going to hassle me?” They directed me here:

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/need-know-the-government-canadas-new-prohibition-certain-firearms-and-devices

303savage
05-09-2020, 08:33 PM
The prime minister spoke about how every Canadian can remember the day they realized how “a man with a gun could irrevocably alter our lives for the worse.” It wasn't the man with a gun that changed thing things, it was the f77ing idiot P.M and the order in council.

Spy
05-09-2020, 11:21 PM
You already have.;)
Seriously let me know where to drop the beer off...:-) My inbox is empty..