PDA

View Full Version : Bear Kill & Cook

Spy
04-29-2020, 09:43 PM
Ok this thread is for all the first time bear hunters wanting to know how to kill, process and cook black bear. From start to finish. I’m sure there are many hunters out there that would love to hunt them, but don’t have a clue where to start. I’m hoping there are many knowledgeable bear hunters on here that are willing to share their hunting and cooking experience with us. Hunting techniques, and most importantly recipes welcome ;-).

snipersights
04-30-2020, 07:16 AM
Pm sent to you. If you want to talk bears hit me up via pm and we can have a good chat. Where are you on the island? Most important thing about bears is have a weapon you are comfortable and proficient with. Doesn’t have to be huge but the bigger bullets definitely have more stopping power. I just shot one with my new 45/70 and dammmmm it didn’t move a foot. But I have also killed lots with a bow so shot placement is huge. Any way check you inbox.

operator jon
04-30-2020, 11:38 AM
Check out Clay Newcomb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5p6lhcApvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeO5tlm-9Pg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1yG0xVRThs

Adam77
04-30-2020, 09:02 PM
What are some good spots for black bear on the island? In the courtenay, Campbell River area?

Spy
04-30-2020, 09:22 PM
Hey guys thanks for the posts, snipersights I did not receive your pm. I have had plenty encounters with bears, I just have never thought of shooting one.. Any recipes to get us hungry, where’s Pauly with his BQ bear rib recipe?

Pauly
04-30-2020, 09:33 PM
Hey guys thanks for the posts, snipersights I did not receive your pm. I have had plenty encounters with bears, I just have never thought of shooting one.. Any recipes to get us hungry, where’s Pauly with his BQ bear rib recipe?
I’ll have to dig it up ! I’ll post it when I get the time

MichelD
04-30-2020, 09:35 PM
Shot my first bear in November 1976.

My advice?

Shoot it.

Gut it.

Skin it.

Cool it.

Get it home.

Cut and wrap it.

Freeze it.

Pauly
04-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Anyone ever use the bear belly for bacon?

Spy
04-30-2020, 10:16 PM
Mmmmmm bacon now we talking.

Pauly
05-01-2020, 06:30 AM
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp celery seed
1/4 cup paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tbs coarse salt
1/2 cup brown sugar... mix well apply to whatever meat your using let sit up to two days
for ribs preheat oven to 450f place ribs in pan add 3 to 5 cups of water cover with foil cook for 1/2 hour then reduce heat to 350f cook for 2 hours. Then slather with bbq sauce and cook 3 more hours. The amount of water used depends on the amount of ribs being done and you have the option to finish the last few hours in the bbq. Also this spice mix is wicked good on a deer or moose roast

walks with deer
05-03-2020, 09:18 AM

yup i have done it with bear,geese,snd deer.

Spy
05-03-2020, 09:27 AM
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp celery seed
1/4 cup paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tbs coarse salt
1/2 cup brown sugar... mix well apply to whatever meat your using let sit up to two days
for ribs preheat oven to 450f place ribs in pan add 3 to 5 cups of water cover with foil cook for 1/2 hour then reduce heat to 350f cook for 2 hours. Then slather with bbq sauce and cook 3 more hours. The amount of water used depends on the amount of ribs being done and you have the option to finish the last few hours in the bbq. Also this spice mix is wicked good on a deer or moose roast

That sounds delicious I will definitely give it a go, when I get my first bear. Hopefully I should be out hunting midweek.. I just picked up a new 308 and need to mount a scope and sight her in. I normally only bow hunt but thought I better use a rifle on my first.. I will post up my progress here..

Thanks to everone who has posted, here’s a question how do you gut a bear?

IronNoggin
05-03-2020, 02:14 PM
... Thanks to everyone who has posted, here’s a question how do you gut a bear?

No different than a deer. Many videos on YouTube.

Best of Luck Buddy!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Hugh Mann
05-03-2020, 03:04 PM
I've found bears make terrible steaks, every time I've tried it the meat shrinks to half the size and doubles in thickness, taking forever to cook through.

Mix 50/50 bear and whitetail makes the most amazing burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, anything like that. Chuck a bear roast in the crock pot or instant pot with all your preferred fixings for a couple hours.

Did I mention pulled bear? It's like pulled pork but better. Much, much better.

Spy
06-16-2020, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=Hugh Mann;2171905]I've found bears make terrible steaks, every time I've tried it the meat shrinks to half the size and doubles in thickness, taking forever to cook through.

Mix 50/50 bear and whitetail makes the most amazing burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, anything like that. Chuck a bear roast in the crock pot or instant pot with all your preferred fixings for a couple hours.

Did I mention pulled bear? It's like pulled pork but better. Much, much better.[/QUOT

That sounds pretty good, thanks for posting..

Spy
06-16-2020, 10:12 PM
So ended up getting a bear, boned it all out and plan on having a butcher make some pepperoni for me. Anyone know what the cost involved would be?