PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Lowas

hparrott
04-29-2020, 06:25 AM
The first pair of Lowa Tibet Gtx boots I bought leaked nearly right away. My second pair, are cracking and I have had them only a year. The leather is cracking on the inside of the front of the foot on both boots. I never put them directly by a heat source, I always use their conditioner product and their waterstop product so the leather is not drying out. I can't understand why else they would crack.

Unfortunately Lowa only offers a 1 year warranty and I am looking for information if there is something I can do to stop the cracking from continuing to worsen, and also suggestions on how seal them up so they don't leak at this point. I don't know why I have had bad luck with this brand, as I know other hunters have had Lowas for years and have been happy. I'm not in a position to buy new ones at the moment, but when I am it will most definitely be a different brand because Lowa hasn't really offered me any insight or help with this on even how to prevent it. I would just like to be able to get more use out of this pair, given the cost, before having to buy different boots and also learn if it is something I'm doing wrong that has been a costly mistake when it comes to boot treatment. If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated #bootslivesmatter

https://imgur.com/j3rUgzK

Pauly
04-29-2020, 06:33 AM
The first pair of Lowa Tibet Gtx boots I bought leaked nearly right away. My second pair, are cracking and I have had them only a year. The leather is cracking on the inside of the front of the foot on both boots. I never put them directly by a heat source, I always use their conditioner product and their waterstop product so the leather is not drying out. I can't understand why else they would crack.

Unfortunately Lowa only offers a 1 year warranty and I am looking for information if there is something I can do to stop the cracking from continuing to worsen, and also suggestions on how seal them up so they don't leak at this point. I don't know why I have had bad luck with this brand, as I know other hunters have had Lowas for years and have been happy. I'm not in a position to buy new ones at the moment, but when I am it will most definitely be a different brand because Lowa hasn't really offered me any insight or help with this on even how to prevent it. I would just like to be able to get more use out of this pair, given the cost, before having to buy different boots. If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/j3rUgzK
clean them up as best you can. Find some Mendel sport wax heat up your boots and melt it in ... use lots until it won’t absorb any more wax. Set aside to set up then buff with a dry clean cloth. My lowas were poorly built as well only lasted a few seasons. The big thing is to keep mud off leather nothing will destroy leather faster than that.

ryanb
04-29-2020, 06:52 AM
Save the money you'd spend on wax for a new pair. My Lowa Tibet's were the worst boots I ever owned. They dried out incredibly fast, warped, shrunk, cracked and barely lasted one season, and I didn't even use them much that year.

Use some olive oil to restore some moisture to the leather.

What size feet do you have?

WhiteTailAB
04-29-2020, 06:55 AM
Weird my Renegade GTX are going on 4 years and are great. I put dubin on them from day one though. I have a new pair of Hunter GTX I will do the same apparently after reading this.

hawk-i
04-29-2020, 07:06 AM
Chinese counterfeit?

REMINGTON JIM
04-29-2020, 07:07 AM
Looks like the LEATHER is dried out ? Those boots Look 10 years OLD ! I like OBENAUF'S leather oil - jmo RJ

https://www.obenaufs.com/

jac
04-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Wax them should seal them up.

Reese
04-29-2020, 07:46 AM
Meindl sport wax. I do not know what they put in it but its been the best wax I have used

Krico
04-29-2020, 07:51 AM
My Lowa Tibet GTX are still going strong 6 years later, with nothing more than regular cleaning and conditioning. I prefer a beeswax based product. Lots of time in mountain talus, snow, dry Okanagan dust and wet fall moose hunting conditions. My last trip was GPS tracked at 96 kms hiked over a week, rained every day. My feet were dry the entire time, and boots still look great.

Ltbullken
04-29-2020, 07:51 AM
Could try Neetsfoot oil on the boot.

hparrott
04-29-2020, 07:59 AM
I have Renegades as well and have never had an issue with them but they are built completely different and imo not comparable. I wear my renegades when I don't have a heavy pack and I love them.

hparrott
04-29-2020, 08:01 AM
My Lowa Tibet GTX are still going strong 6 years later, with nothing more than regular cleaning and conditioning. I prefer a beeswax based product. Lots of time in mountain talus, snow, dry Okanagan dust and wet fall moose hunting conditions. My last trip was GPS tracked at 96 kms hiked over a week, rained every day. My feet were dry the entire time, and boots still look great.

Can you elaborate on your regular cleaning and conditioning for me just cause either I'm doing it wrong or there is an issue with this pair. Which beeswax product are you using, about how often and how are you cleaning your boots. Thank you

hparrott
04-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Looks like the LEATHER is dried out ? Those boots Look 10 years OLD ! I like OBENAUF'S leather oil - jmo RJ

I know they do. The boots were wet for the photo but the cracking looks like that and I'm using their products as instructed. To me it is bizarre! One year total on them and yes I hike a fair amount but not anymore than any backpacker.

hparrott
04-29-2020, 08:06 AM
Save the money you'd spend on wax for a new pair. My Lowa Tibet's were the worst boots I ever owned. They dried out incredibly fast, warped, shrunk, cracked and barely lasted one season, and I didn't even use them much that year.

What size feet do you have? My feet are only a size 8 womens

hparrott
04-29-2020, 08:09 AM
clean them up as best you can. Find some Mendel sport wax heat up your boots and melt it in ... use lots until it won’t absorb any more wax. Set aside to set up then buff with a dry clean cloth. My lowas were poorly built as well only lasted a few seasons. The big thing is to keep mud off leather nothing will destroy leather faster than that.

Thank you I will see where I can find some of this product. Last september my feet were soaked on day 1 for a multi day trip, I should have returned them then. I will give this a try and hopefully salvage them because they are still comfortable.

Redemption
04-29-2020, 08:15 AM
One of my favorite answers to a footwear question.

"What the best waterproof leather boot?"

"No such thing...."

My first boots were Danner Canadians high tops. They were excellent but made 18 years ago. My buddy bought a pair 5 years ago and they were crap and leaked right away

I switched to hanwags, been moderately pleased with them. The leak at times but I have just learned to live with it. I carry soft style waterproof socks that help when needed. Cheers.

Krico
04-29-2020, 08:18 AM
Can you elaborate on your regular cleaning and conditioning for me just cause either I'm doing it wrong or there is an issue with this pair. Which beeswax product are you using, about how often and how are you cleaning your boots. Thank you

I just wipe the mud and dust off with a damp cloth, ensuring to get under the laces (remove if necessary). I do this any time they are dirty and being put away for a while. Storing boots caked in mud can suck the moisture out of leather.

Currently using Moneysworth&Best Snowguard boot protector, I think I bought it at Mark’s. It’s important to clean and dry, then heat the leather prior to applying in order to maximize absorption.

The worst thing for boots is to store them filthy and wet.

twoSevenO
04-29-2020, 09:10 AM
i've had Lowa Tibet boots since 2017. They are holding up ok.
I had wet feet only twice, and both times i'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't just my pants/socks wicking the moisture up and then into the boot.
I say that because both times it happened the conditions weren't as wet as some other times where my feet were remained completely dry.

Ertner
04-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Ive used Lowa Tibets for 7-8 years, i clean them with saddle soap then once dry use Dayton Boots OK oil to condition leather and dubbin with hair dryer to get waterproofed. never had an issue and other than the soles being nearly worn out the leather looks brand new. that said i do take pretty meticulous care of them but it certainly pays off.

hparrott
04-29-2020, 12:20 PM
I had wet feet only twice, and both times i'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't just my pants/socks wicking the moisture up and then into the boot.
I say that because both times it happened the conditions weren't as wet as some other times where my feet were remained completely dry.

What do you do to the boots to keep them happy the last 2 seasons? Thanks

hparrott
04-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Ive used Lowa Tibets for 7-8 years, i clean them with saddle soap then once dry use Dayton Boots OK oil to condition leather and dubbin with hair dryer to get waterproofed. never had an issue and other than the soles being nearly worn out the leather looks brand new. that said i do take pretty meticulous care of them but it certainly pays off.

How often would you clean then with the soap and then oil? Also, how are you drying them. They said no direct heat source and I have been putting newspaper in them to dry them out after brushing them clean.

barongan
04-29-2020, 12:31 PM

What size feet do you have?
Good advicehttps://babang.xyz/assets/11/o.png

BRvalley
04-29-2020, 12:56 PM

I've had 2 pairs of tibets and wouldn't buy a 3rd pair, due to all the issues mentioned in this thread, I was meticulous with the second pair and they still shrunk considerably in the fit around the toe box

when I used the lowa care products I constantly had wet feet, when I switched to using kenetrek boot wax there was a huge improvement in the water resistance and the deterioration of the leather stopped, the cracking as shown in your pic stopped after I switched, and the leather holds the wax much longer

AllDay
04-29-2020, 01:01 PM
I just use nikwax cleaner and a suede brush to clean them and then heat up the obenaufs heavy duty LP wax in my hands, apply it good and then blow dry the wax in to my lowas and they are doing well so far.

Ertner
04-29-2020, 01:19 PM
End of season i saddle soap and oil, after a trip i will clean them, leave to dry for a day then treat them with dubbin.
Thread got me thinking about boots, just ordered a new pair of tibets for this season.

Ron.C
04-29-2020, 01:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your boots. Personally, I would not have bought a second pair if the first failed so quick but that's me.

I use OBENAUF'S Heavy Duty Leather preservative on my leather hunting boots (Hanwags). I picked mine up at Cabelas (container is 4oz) for about $14 if I recall. Great product. A little goes a long way. I always apply 2 light coats, rub in with my fingers and work in into the leather. There is never any excess to wipe. I never let my boots get dried out, clean and treat them regularly. Add some gaiters to keep moisture from wicking in from the top and you're set.

grizzly550
04-29-2020, 01:50 PM
No issues with my Lowa Hunter Extreme GTX ...they look pretty beat up after two seasons (I put a lot of harsh km's on them) but still warm and waterproof. I ensure never to put away dirty and follow manufacturer instructions with the conditioning cream and waterstop product. Just purchased a pair of Tibet Hi GTX to use for summer conditions as the hunters are a bit too warm with the 200g of thinsulate.

NMO
04-29-2020, 02:38 PM

x2 on this. I typically wear the soles off a pair of mountaineering boots every year guiding/hiking and hunting, have tried Snowseal, Meidl, Schnees, mink oil, dubbin, neatsfoot oil, Grangers, and Nikwax products and Obenhaufs HD paste wins every time. More waterproof, lasts longer on the boot, keeps them in great shape. I also use it to treat my saddle axe handle so it doesn't get wet/dried out, and have used it as lip balm in a pinch too.

Pauly
04-29-2020, 04:13 PM
I wonder if they changed the leather they use? I seem to remember that meindel did that ten years ago or so. Sub standard leather that stretched after a while when lacing up the boots. Not 100 % on that though

Bustercluck
04-29-2020, 05:08 PM
As far as waterproofing goes, when I lived on the island I wore nothing but hand made viberg boots. I never dried them out next to a heater(they pretty much never dried out ever) and they always got soaked in engine or hydraulic oil. Two pairs lasted me over 8 years between resoles. My feet didn’t get wet in either pair until I started getting holes near the bottom of the laces in the crease at which point I threw them out. I bought a new pair of vibergs when I moved to Alberta and I don’t think I got 1 year of work out of them. They shrunk and buckled the soles, dried right out no matter how much viberg boot grease(which is beeswax) I put on them and were complete garbage. They’re also a different kind of leather, but I think lots of any kind of oil should keep them from cracking and like everyone else said, mud is the worst thing to leave on your boots.

My concern with over oiling is losing structural stability of the boot. I still want it to be rigid sideways, but let my ankle move freely forward to back. So I’m trying not to do too much to my hiking boots, other than keep them clean.

On a side note, my scarpas are 3 years old and I haven’t treated them with too much other than beeswax and there’s no cracking, no deforming , but they weren’t waterproof after the first year.

twoSevenO
04-29-2020, 07:51 PM

Not much. I just make sure they are dried off every time inside the house and not in the garage or somewhere where they would take forever to dry.

I have been spraying them with a teflon spray for extra waterproofing but that stuff does not last.

I tend to stay away from waxes because they decrease breathability of a boot. That's just my opinion. No scientific evidence to back that up. Lol

wiggy
04-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Worn out a lot of boots. Current Lowa hunters are going on 3 years. Not a issue. Changed out the footbed. That’s about it. I try not to stand in the soup anymore lol. Not sure if that’s made the difference. Keep them clean. Don’t believe in all the leather conditioner crap
i use this model for cold weather as that’s what it’s intended for
For warmer and actually wetter mountain extremes I’ve liked my hand made limmers. Helluva boot 8 years on them now. 3 soles Good coat of grease before the adventure and go. Might not be the lightest boat out there and they aren’t cheap but they are the real deal

elknut
04-30-2020, 09:45 AM
I would phone up TJ Swankey and tell him his Lowas are junk ...LOL....Dennis

2tins
04-30-2020, 09:50 AM
Something fishy there. Ive had two pairs that have lasted for 5 plus years of hunting hiking and mtb trail building. My Tibets are the best boots I have ever owned.

kitnayakwa77
04-30-2020, 02:07 PM
I had some Lowa Cevedales that lasted 4 months, before splitting open in the heel gusset. Absolute garbage. The Canadian importer refused to honor warranty as I had bought them off of Amazon. It was only after contacting Lowa Europe that the Canadian importer honored the warranty. I sold the replacements and have not gone back to Lowa. Have had good luck with Hanwag and La Sportiva.

finaddict
04-30-2020, 04:34 PM
My Lowa Tibet GTX are still going strong 6 years later, with nothing more than regular cleaning and conditioning. I prefer a beeswax based product. Lots of time in mountain talus, snow, dry Okanagan dust and wet fall moose hunting conditions. My last trip was GPS tracked at 96 kms hiked over a week, rained every day. My feet were dry the entire time, and boots still look great.Same for me. Lowa Tibet GTX 4 years old, nothing but beeswax based sealants and solid boots. Been through 4 years of caribou mud in the fall and winter

Seth
04-30-2020, 09:07 PM
I bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX and they were leaking within 6 months and weren’t even my primary pair of hunting boots. Thank god they were half price otherwise it would be a little harder to take. I’ve always had good luck with Meindls and won’t venture to Lowa again.

Kill-da-wabbit
04-30-2020, 09:16 PM
Something fishy there. Ive had two pairs that have lasted for 5 plus years of hunting hiking and mtb trail building. My Tibets are the best boots I have ever owned.
X2 on this. I use Huberds and have had my Tibets for 3 yrs. Never had a better pair of boots. I clean and treat at least once a week during the season, before they are put away at the end, and before a new season. I pull laces, brush, wash, grease - overkill? Maybe, but they are waterproof, don't smell, and look new.

grantk
04-30-2020, 10:25 PM
I've had good luck on my Kenetreks with SnoSeal, you just have to carefully heat the leather up before applying. The waterproof membrane only lasted about 1.5 seasons and they started leaking when I was using the Nikwax leather wax. Switched to SnoSeal and they're good again, plus it's dirt cheap at surplus herby's. Agree with some other comments on here... I keep my boots clean, dry on a boot dryer everytime I get home, and treat twice a year. Five or six seasons in and they still look great.

hawk-i
05-01-2020, 06:44 AM
I mentioned this before...Counterfeit....it depends on where you are buying them. If you're buying from Amazon its possible they could be fake...I've read 10% of items are estimated to be fake counterfeit knock-offs from amazon.

One study showed 20 out of 47 items purchased where fake...:(

Buy from a trustworthy source.

hparrott
05-01-2020, 08:20 AM
I mentioned this before...Counterfeit....it depends on where you are buying them. If you're buying from Amazon its possible they could be fake...I've read 10% of items are estimated to be fake counterfeit knock-offs from amazon.

these boots weren't purchased off amazon are were from a reputable company so while I agree that counterfeit products are an issue I would hope this is not the case and I'm inclined to believe this is not the issue. I'm definitely not going to use their conditioning and waterstop products from this point forward and hopefully a beeswax product will salvage them for a bit

kitnayakwa77
05-01-2020, 10:19 AM

Lowa inspected the boots when they finally accepted them back for warranty consideration and determined they were authentic, but yes that is a consideration.

BRvalley
05-01-2020, 11:44 AM
with any brand and model of boot, you can find drastically different reviews, everybody's mileage is different...how heavy you are, the type of terrain and conditions, how you take care of them, etc

but I do find I read more bad reviews with common complaints about lowa than any other brand...I don't think their boot care products are any good, most of the good reviews seem to be from guys that use other products on them, obenauf, nikiwax, etc

my first pair I could accept responsibility, when lowa customer service flat out blamed me and offered zero support, but the second pair I took better care of any boots I've ever owned, and still ended up unhappy with them....I even took them off driving so they didn't get exposed to direct heat

sadly, it's a very expensive game finding the perfect boots

twoSevenO
10-19-2020, 02:14 PM

Bump! .... just an update that my Lowa are now leaking. And leaking bad!

I was in some 10-12" of snow for a day and had puddles of water in each boot. There was no way I could camp up there that night as they would be a solid blocks of ice by morning.

Closer inspection at home has determined that the inside seam on the heel has let go. This has allowed the gore-tex liner to also separate and thus cause a leak. The socks then wick the water over the whole boot.

My ankles were dry so I knew it wasnt comimg from under my gaiters.

This is the same issue a friend of mine had. Exact same.

I'm a little bit surprised at:
1. Their warranty is only 12 months. Wtf kid of warranty is that I'm today's "lifetime warranty" world?

2. That this rip inside of the boot does not seem to bother my heel at all. The way my heel sits doesnt seem to be putting too much pressure there so it remains comfortable.

Will have to slather some wax on them to add a little water resistance that way ... other than that not much you can do when the liner gives way.

hparrott
10-21-2020, 06:28 PM
Bump! .... just an update that my Lowa are now leaking. And leaking bad!

I was in some 10-12" of snow for a day and had puddles of water in each boot. There was no way I could camp up there that night as they would be a solid blocks of ice by morning.

Closer inspection at home has determined that the inside seam on the heel has let go. This has allowed the gore-tex liner to also separate and thus cause a leak. The socks then wick the water over the whole boot.

My ankles were dry so I knew it wasnt comimg from under my gaiters.

This is the same issue a friend of mine had. Exact same.

I'm a little bit surprised at:
1. Their warranty is only 12 months. Wtf kid of warranty is that I'm today's "lifetime warranty" world?

2. That this rip inside of the boot does not seem to bother my heel at all. The way my heel sits doesnt seem to be putting too much pressure there so it remains comfortable.

Will have to slather some wax on them to add a little water resistance that way ... other than that not much you can do when the liner gives way.

So my solution to this leak problem was:

I waxed the S* out of my lowas and used aquaseal all the way around the sole. They no longer breathe but they were still to comfortable to toss even as leaky boots and I thought I would take the repair into my own hands. Yes the Lowa warranty is S* hence I wont buy another pair but they are now my back-up boots and when dry still comfy. It is unfortunate I will never be able to take them on a backpacking hunt.

The Fix....well the Meindle Canada Pro 3000's are very stiff and ever so comfy. If they leak I'm going to have a jammer. I can't actually say this was the fix but for me I need a very stiff boot and I am happy with them.

TARCHER
10-21-2020, 06:35 PM
wow, my lowas have 4 full seasons and are near perfect, and yes I use them hard but am careful with drying them and do care for them well. I dont think there is a perfect boot these days. almost hit and miss

twoSevenO
10-21-2020, 07:10 PM
So my solution to this leak problem was:

I waxed the S* out of my lowas and used aquaseal all the way around the sole. They no longer breathe but they were still to comfortable to toss even as leaky boots and I thought I would take the repair into my own hands. Yes the Lowa warranty is S* hence I wont buy another pair but they are now my back-up boots and when dry still comfy. It is unfortunate I will never be able to take them on a backpacking hunt.

The Fix....well the Meindle Canada Pro 3000's are very stiff and ever so comfy. If they leak I'm going to have a jammer. I can't actually say this was the fix but for me I need a very stiff boot and I am happy with them.

Did you bother reaching out to Lowa? The 12 month warranty really does seem like crap.

That's my plan as well ... slather wax on and aquaseal around the little flexible part on the back of the heel. Not much you can do other than that.

twoSevenO
10-21-2020, 07:13 PM
wow, my lowas have 4 full seasons and are near perfect, and yes I use them hard but am careful with drying them and do care for them well. I dont think there is a perfect boot these days. almost hit and miss

No drying method or leather care would prevent this... it was the inside liner seam ... why they put a flimsy seam right on the heel is beyond me.

And there is just nothing you can do on the inside of the boot to repair it unless you could take the boot apart, I guess.

hparrott
10-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Did you bother reaching out to Lowa? The 12 month warranty really does seem like crap.

That's my plan as well ... slather wax on and aquaseal around the little flexible part on the back of the heel. Not much you can do other than that.

Absolutely I did. Their response though was more insulting than the 12 mo warranty itself was.

twoSevenO
10-21-2020, 07:21 PM
Absolutely I did. Their response though was more insulting than the 12 mo warranty itself was.

Wow. Wonder how many repeat customers they get with that kind of customer care.

I'll definitely be steering clear of Lowa from now on, that's for sure.

rustybarrel
10-21-2020, 07:30 PM
Interesting thread.I just bought Lowas’ this summer and used them for about 6 hunts so far this year.No issues yet;however, I did notice the leather is “needy” for boot treatment.I use Obenauf’s and the boots suck it up regularly.Before these boots I had Scarpa Chamonix, a very stiff boot that I liked, and got 4 hard seasons out of before I wore through inside lining and goretex membrane ( I wore them very tight sized).Before that I had Meindal’s ( before they switched to lighter leather) and got good 6 years out of them until the inner soles and mid soles started rotting out.
I think boots are a bit of a crap shoot because manufacturers change things like leathers, glues, suppliers, etc and the end result can mean the boot you thought should last,ends up doing an early death.I will keep a close eye on my new Lowas’.They are very comfy and strong, but heavier than the Scarpas- that really liked cause they were super stiff And light as a feather.

sako75
10-22-2020, 09:00 AM
Lowa boots are junk and i will never set my foot in another pair. I could go into the details but it would be very long and i get mad every time i think about Lowa

twoSevenO
10-22-2020, 06:22 PM
Lowa boots are junk and i will never set my foot in another pair. I could go into the details but it would be very long and i get mad every time i think about Lowa

They've been comfortable for me, but way too many bad reviews from hunters ..... definitely NOT buying another pair.

Will continue to wear them because they definitely are comfy for me at this point

BRvalley
10-23-2020, 10:31 AM

my lowas also experienced that issue, but did not bother me really

my issue was the toe box shrinking considerably, not sure if that is leather issue or just the rubber rand, but they fit great at first, then the shape of the toe flattens out and kills my feet....and keeping them moderately water resistant was a struggle, the lowa products sucked, switching to a boot wax helped but as mentioned, the leather was very needy and nothing would last long....walking through dew covered grass the top of the boots would wet out, feet soaked, no way around it.....also found the lowa rubber to suck on wet rocks compared to other boots i've worn

my kenetreks now are just a better boot all around, true to size and the fit does not change, plus great service buying direct from the distributor in PG

mod7rem
10-23-2020, 10:41 AM
I’ve been using Lowa tech lite hunters for 6 years now. They are the best fitting most comfortable mountain boot I’ve used so far. It’s as if they were made around my feet specifically.
But, I don’t think they’ve ever been any good at keeping water out. I’ve been using gortex socks for the last few years because of it. I want to replace for next year and all the reading I’ve been doing tells me that all brands have reviews of bad leakage problems and reviews that are excellent.
A lot of what I’m reading says that waterproofness of the boot has more to do with the condition of the waterproof/breathable membrane than it does with the leather. Well conditioned leather keeps it healthy and allows the leather to breath and works well with the membrane. Sealed leather is apparently way less breathable and doesn’t work well with a membrane.
With that info in mind, if you suspect that the gortex or eVent membrane is damaged, then maybe a leather treatment that is designed to seal up the leather pores would be better than a treatment that conditions.
Ive read that rendered bear grease is unbeatable for sealing up leather.
I still haven’t figured out which mountain boots I’m going with next year. But I’ve been reading a lot of good things about LaSportiva and Asolo models for narrow feet like mine.

twoSevenO
10-23-2020, 12:35 PM
my lowas also experienced that issue, but did not bother me really

my issue was the toe box shrinking considerably, not sure if that is leather issue or just the rubber rand, but they fit great at first, then the shape of the toe flattens out and kills my feet....and keeping them moderately water resistant was a struggle, the lowa products sucked, switching to a boot wax helped but as mentioned, the leather was very needy and nothing would last long....walking through dew covered grass the top of the boots would wet out, feet soaked, no way around it.....also found the lowa rubber to suck on wet rocks compared to other boots i've worn

my kenetreks now are just a better boot all around, true to size and the fit does not change, plus great service buying direct from the distributor in PG

I have noticed that the shape of the toe box flattens out as well. I have no logical explanation for why or how it happens, but it does. Thankfully, it has not made the fit any worse for me (yet)

A friend of mine did have the same leaking issue when walking through wet grass!! For me that hasnt been an issue, just when in snow with the snow slowly melting around the boot and water logging the leather and seeping in.

I have used as much meindl wax on them as I could get yesterday, so we'll see if that improves things on my next hunt on Sunday where I expect a lot of snow again.

I expect it wont solve the problem, but should slow it down considerably.

sako75
10-23-2020, 04:33 PM
They've been comfortable for me, but way too many bad reviews from hunters ..... definitely NOT buying another pair.

Will continue to wear them because they definitely are comfy for me at this point

they were very comfortable for me too that is why I tried so hard to make them work 3 pairs all leaked way too early. I have moved on and could not be happier

mr_mitchell
10-28-2020, 07:13 AM
I had the same problem with my Lowas leaking after about 3 seasons, conditioned them and never dried next to fires or the furnace. Lowa obviously wouldn't warranty them so I tried gortex and they stand 100% behind their product. Answered a couple questions and they reimbursed me full for the boots.

weatherby_man
10-28-2020, 08:05 AM
Ok,,,so now I now not to buy lowas, thanks for the info guys. I've been stomping an old pair of Cabelas for a number of years, they have been bulletproof but are wearing out. I need a new pair and want to go with a better boot but Iowas will not be on this list.

300rum700
10-28-2020, 08:31 AM
All Gore-Tex will wet out once the leather (or other membrane) becomes saturated.

Redthies
10-28-2020, 08:45 AM
Seal Skinz goretex socks are in my pack on every trip now. My goretex boots have leaked from day one, but they are super comfy and far from worn out, so I gambled $40 on the socks and they are great.

iroc22
10-29-2020, 09:54 PM

Second this. Obenauf's is all I use and it works the best out of any product I have tried.

Ron.C
10-30-2020, 07:24 AM
Second this. Obenauf's is all I use and it works the best out of any product I have tried.

The goretex liner in my 7 year old hanwags is worn through (because I wear custom orthodics).

x3 on the Obenaufs...... awesome boot dressing an I think its why my hanwags still keep me dry.