PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder advice please

Sharpish
04-28-2020, 05:41 PM
Hey guys, I’m looking to buy my first hunting rangefinder. My budget is $500 although I’m always looking for the best value/deal for my money.

Bushnell has a 30% rebate right now and I can get a Prime 1700 unit for less than $160 before tax.

The other choice I’m looking at is the Nikon Monarch 3000 stabilized which would go for $450 or so on sale as it’s been discontinued. Since it’s the only stabilized model available I wouldn’t mind snapping one up while I still can.

I’ve always been of the mindset to buy quality stuff the first time and I like the features of the Nikon but 40% total off the Bushnell makes a compelling case to try it out without much risk.

Does anyone have any input they could provide me?

grantk
04-28-2020, 10:08 PM
How far are you realistically comfortable taking a shot at an animal? I think you'll typically get about half the rated range (or less) on animals vs. a reflective target. For me, the 700yd range on a deer with the Bushnell is further than I'd ever consider shooting one, so I'd have a hard time justifying spending more, especially nearly three times the price.

If you're into long range target shooting, it may be worth spending the extra.

Sharpish
04-28-2020, 11:19 PM
I have shot moose at 300 yards but that’s a bloody big target. My farthest shot on a deer has been 70 yards. So I guess the answer is not that far.

I recently bought a longer range rifle and BT Swarovski for it and on my northern BC trip I come across caribou and goats. My hunting partner bought a Leupold RF and it was interesting ranging moose and other animals on the lake shore and on the mountain side.

If a corkscrew sheep was standing there 500 yards away and I couldn’t get closer I would range it and shoot until it hit the dirt or the gun goes click, so I’m not above trying, with a little practice.

twoSevenO
04-29-2020, 08:07 AM
How far are you realistically comfortable taking a shot at an animal? I think you'll typically get about half the rated range (or less) on animals vs. a reflective target. For me, the 700yd range on a deer with the Bushnell is further than I'd ever consider shooting one, so I'd have a hard time justifying spending more, especially nearly three times the price.

If you're into long range target shooting, it may be worth spending the extra.

It's not all.about the range itself. It's about accuracy. A 2000yard model is definitely going to be more precise than a 1000 yard model, even if you never plan to shoot past 500 yards.

adriaticum
04-29-2020, 08:56 AM
I would get the furthest ranger you can afford.
Even though you might not shoot something at 2000 yards, sometimes you want to know how far something is that you have to hike to.
It's good to be able to know distance not just for shooting.

If you have $500 budget, spend it all.

KodiakHntr
04-29-2020, 10:46 AM
The SigSauer units punch way above their weight class. They are faster and offer continuous scanning - hold the button down and follow something and get a moving range.

I have a couple of Leica units, one that doesn't correct for horizontal distance and one that does (although the Leica tops out on corrections at 800 yards, but will read out to 1800+ yards) and the Sigs that I have tried have given the exact same distances, faster, and farther, for half the money. I would Sig way before I would Bushnell or Nikon.... Stabilizing is a gimmick, all you want to do is get a range. That's all they are for, you don't need to burn up battery power on stabilizing your LRF.

adriaticum
04-29-2020, 10:53 AM
The SigSauer units punch way above their weight class. They are faster and offer continuous scanning - hold the button down and follow something and get a moving range.

I have a couple of Leica units, one that doesn't correct for horizontal distance and one that does (although the Leica tops out on corrections at 800 yards, but will read out to 1800+ yards) and the Sigs that I have tried have given the exact same distances, faster, and farther, for half the money. I would Sig way before I would Bushnell or Nikon.... Stabilizing is a gimmick, all you want to do is get a range. That's all they are for, you don't need to burn up battery power on stabilizing your LRF.

For example this one
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/130565/sig-sauer-kilo-1600bdx-rangefinder

Falls just within his budget.

Sharpish
04-29-2020, 12:41 PM
I'm contemplating just selling my Zeiss Conquest Bino's and getting a used Swaro EL Range. With the 5-$700 I would spend on the rangefinder I'm not that far off budget. What about that option?

VLD43
04-29-2020, 02:50 PM
Take a look at this link. Could help you some. https://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html

KBC
04-29-2020, 03:20 PM
I’m not a huge vortex fan boy but when it comes to electronics, they have the best warranty. I had a 1500 that I dropped and it wouldn’t work anymore. I sent it in and had a new 1800 a couple weeks later for free.
I would buy the best vortex one you can afford. Most of the other ones only warranty the electronics for a year. That being said the new Leupold bow range finder is pretty interesting...

whitlers
04-29-2020, 06:11 PM
I have the Vortex 1000. Best I can get out of it is 600 yards regularly. I always expect to range less than advertised. Partner has Leica 2700B that thing is great. For me it's less about ranging an animal within shooting range but more about how far a stalk might be.

David
04-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Are you going to use it primarily to range or are you going to use it like binoculars too?

Since I bought my Leica rangefinder I don't bother with binoculars anymore when I'm hunting.

WWBC
04-29-2020, 06:49 PM
I have a Vortex 1000
ranging much past 500 yards is hard. However, I do like the red illumination compared to the black display of some others. If it was a Little faster and had better range it would be awesome.

But for hunting it’s more than enough

and the lifetime warranty is awesome for electronics

Sharpish
04-29-2020, 09:06 PM
I have Zeiss conquest HD binos in a Kuiu harness that I wear all the time, hunting, hiking, sporting events. I was thinking about waiting until Omer got some more stock of the Leica CRF 2400-R. The vortex razor rangefinder would be another option I considered due to the warranty.

every day that goes by my budget goes up $100. Geez.

brian
04-29-2020, 09:22 PM
I’d stay away from really cheap rangefinders, cheap glass can it make it difficult to range objects at lower light or in the shade. Definitely look through the cheap ones before buying and see if it is acceptable. I had a Nikon that I was happy with, until I left it in the bush somewhere.

VLD43
04-29-2020, 09:34 PM
The most important things to consider with range finders is good optics, good error correction software, tightly collimated beams, and/or small beam divergence. All things most of the cheaper units don't have or are not done well.

JoeSixPack
04-30-2020, 07:51 AM
I've owned a bushnell scout 1000, vortex ranger 1000, 1300, 1500, 1800 and currently the razor. The razor is the only one worth having in that line, it works very well. Only reason I've stuck with vortex is the warranty. I'd get a sig sauer otherwise.

twoSevenO
04-30-2020, 09:43 AM
I went with a Leica 2000 yard model.
If i can hold it steady (against a tree for example) i can routinely get deer to 1200 yards. Largeer objects even further.

Curtis84
07-05-2020, 09:32 PM
I got a vortex razor 4000 because of the bigger objective lens, it’s waterproof and the lifetime no questions asked warranty, as long as I don’t loose it they will replace it.

Sharpish
07-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Still looking! There's a 1600B available new in box for $700. TBH I would rather have the simpler 1600R or 2400R, all i need is angle compensation, none of the other features matter. I prefer to have the simplest tool that meets my needs, less stuff to break.

Anyone got anything used they want to sell? Have a hunt booked out of Dease in August and I'd like to have a ranger by then.

KodiakHntr
07-10-2020, 12:36 PM
You can set the 1600B to do angle compensation and thats it.... Thats how mine is set.

Only downside is it will only compensate out to 800 yards, which is kind of irritating when I'm busting rocks at distance....

Sharpish
07-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Hmm I thought it also added air pressure and humidity etc. The R model just gives you the angle.

KodiakHntr
07-10-2020, 03:41 PM
Oh. Well now I'm wondering about that.... Could be. Been awhile since I've been in the settings.

landphil
07-10-2020, 05:55 PM
I’m itching to pull the trigger on a Leica 2800.com. I have it on my cart, have been most of the way though the checkout process twice now. I just keep thinking the “pack out” (the better half’s opinion when it shows up) is going to brutal.

I currently have an older Bushy Elite with a scratched up sensor lens (got it cheap because of that) and it maxes out at about 550. It’s bulky too.

KodiakHntr
07-10-2020, 10:02 PM
Sig..... faster unit, less money, farther reach, continuously ranges with holding down the button, less
divorce....

Ought Six Ai
07-10-2020, 10:07 PM
I have a sig and am happy with it

landphil
07-11-2020, 12:24 PM
Sig..... faster unit, less money, farther reach, continuously ranges with holding down the button, less
divorce....

What am I missing here? Honest questions, since I haven’t used either, and real-life comparisons are usually better than manufacture’s ratings. I’m comparing to the Kilo 2200BDX and the 2800.com

Faster - The Leica ranges in .3 seconds, spec isn’t given for the Sig that I could find. In scan mode, the Sig updates 4x / sec, and the Leica updates every .3. I guess every .05 seconds counts, but that’s pretty comparable to me.

Less money - OK, that’s very true, 2/3 the price. I’d be in the doghouse for either. LOL

Farther reach. Is it really in the real-world? Leica’s ratings for both game / trees are a bit higher, only the reflective target rating of the Sig, and based on their other numbers, I wonder if that isn’t overly optimistic? I’ve know a 1600B to consistently range at or above it’s rated distances, so tend the expect the same of their new models. Can that be said of Sigs as well?

Continuously ranging? The Leica CRF’s have had scan mode at least as far back as the 1600B, so I’m not sure what you mean. Is scan mode is always on with the Sig?

The Leica is also smaller (12.65 cubic inches vs 15.6), 0.8 oz lighter, and made in Portugal vs China.

KodiakHntr
07-13-2020, 09:12 AM
Nope my bad. I was thinking of the 1600b vs the Kilo 2200 when I was playing with the one my buddy had against my Leica. Between the two the Sig was a faster unit that gave the same ranges and same correction. At that time there was a $300+ gap between the two.

I have a couple a 1200 and a 1600b, and they are great units, but they are absolutely spendy and the technology is changing fast and there is stuff out there that reaches farther and faster now. Only thing I would say is that no matter what you go with, decide on the range that you will realistically use it for, and then find one that is rated for double that distance.

landphil
07-13-2020, 09:20 AM
That last part sounds like darn good advice to me. Decisions, decisions. It’s not easy. LOL

Thanks for the comments.

KodiakHntr
07-13-2020, 12:13 PM
My 1200 would occasionally range out to 1344 yards, and my 1600 will usually hit 1844 yards, right up until I need to know if that bull is 1200 yards or 1400 yards, and which knoll do I need to get to to be close enough for a shot....

Nobody has ever complained about a range finder that gets readings to far away...

Sharpish
07-17-2020, 10:28 AM
Is $700 for an unused, in box Leica 1600-B a good deal?

Maglic
07-18-2020, 01:03 AM
Is $700 for an unused, in box Leica 1600-B a good deal?
Depending if taxes are included. With taxes included maybe, but again it is very out of date model.
Until last fall you could find newer better Leica model 2400 for 699 CAD + taxes .
I was just about to buy it but hesitated for a month or so and in meantime prices jumped 100 dollars up to 799.
So I decided not to.
Still Precision Optics list it under 699 but out of stock
https://www.precisionoptics.net/Leica_CRF_Rangemaster_2400_R_Rangefinder_40546_p/40546.htm

Currently you can find it for 550 US Dollars or 617 US $ including taxes and duties for BC (free shipping to Canada).
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1416689-REG/leica_40546_7x24_rangemaster_crf_2400_r.html

Sharpish
08-17-2020, 11:07 AM
My wife got sick of me humming and hawing and told me to buy the nice one and she would make it my birthday present. So I called Omer and have a new Leica 2400-R to play with. I hit a boat on the water at 1886 yards over the weekend!

Sharpish
08-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Depending if taxes are included. With taxes included maybe, but again it is very out of date model.
Until last fall you could find newer better Leica model 2400 for 699 CAD + taxes .
I was just about to buy it but hesitated for a month or so and in meantime prices jumped 100 dollars up to 799.
So I decided not to.
Still Precision Optics list it under 699 but out of stock
https://www.precisionoptics.net/Leica_CRF_Rangemaster_2400_R_Rangefinder_40546_p/40546.htm

Currently you can find it for 550 US Dollars or 617 US $ including taxes and duties for BC (free shipping to Canada).
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1416689-REG/leica_40546_7x24_rangemaster_crf_2400_r.html

Precision optics has a few back in stock! I can confirm it works very well!

IslandWanderer
08-17-2020, 11:11 AM
I've got the relatively inexpensive Vortex 850. I just use it when I'm bored. I guess the distance then check with the rangefinder. I usually guess well over the actual distance.

WelderGuy
08-17-2020, 05:18 PM
Hey guys, I’m looking to buy my first hunting rangefinder. My budget is $500 although I’m always looking for the best value/deal for my money.

Bushnell has a 30% rebate right now and I can get a Prime 1700 unit for less than $160 before tax.

The other choice I’m looking at is the Nikon Monarch 3000 stabilized which would go for $450 or so on sale as it’s been discontinued. Since it’s the only stabilized model available I wouldn’t mind snapping one up while I still can.

I’ve always been of the mindset to buy quality stuff the first time and I like the features of the Nikon but 40% total off the Bushnell makes a compelling case to try it out without much risk.

Spend $700, buy a Lieca,,,you will never regret it

Saskhunter
12-26-2020, 11:15 AM
i would get the furthest ranger you can afford.
Even though you might not shoot something at 2000 yards, sometimes you want to know how far something is that you have to hike to.
It's good to be able to know distance not just for shooting.

If you have $500 budget, spend it all.

thats it exactly

.330 Dakota
12-26-2020, 11:26 AM

If you "cheap out" on your rangefinder you will regret it,,just like a cheap scope,,you get what you pay for,,,you may think you dont need a long range one,,but,,,suppose you see Mr Racknasty across the valley,,your not going to shoot 1000 yards but how do you know where you can shoot from,,a good rangefinder will tell you hes 1000 yards away,,and the big rock you need to sneak to is 650,,which will put you within range,,trust me,,I was on the path you are on at one point until I discover Leica rangefinders,,,I paid about $599 for mine, and I have hunted with lots of guys with lesser units, and everyone of them complain about their Bushnell's and their Vortex's,,,I have absolutely no complaints about my Leica

Blacktail1
12-26-2020, 12:05 PM
Buy a used Leica