PDA

View Full Version : Tick season is upon us

mastercaster
04-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Make sure your dog is protected. The ticks have been out for awhile now,,,,some areas worse than others.

I use Bravecto and it's been doing a good job on Sako for the last couple of years. What do you use for a tick med? I also get the vet to give Sako an annual Lyme Disease vaccination each year. Not taking any chances!

https://i.imgur.com/VcKJrl4.jpg

Ron.C
04-27-2020, 06:35 PM
use Bravecto as well on the recommendation of my breeder who is also a Veterinarian. Very please with the results so far in comparison to my last dog "used a different product then" and I had to remove tics on occasion.

WhiteTailAB
04-27-2020, 06:41 PM
bravecto here

adriaticum
04-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Lol, that's ****ing funny

Jagermeister
04-27-2020, 07:21 PM
Not checking for ticks on yourself or your pooch after an outing, regardless of what you are using, is asinine.

g_man668
04-27-2020, 07:40 PM
We have to use nexguard on our dogs but we've never had to pull ticks off them yet thankfully! My dad had to pull a tick off one of his dogs on 2 separate occasions this year already even with the revolution tick stuff they use

Iron Glove
04-27-2020, 09:07 PM
Have been using Bravecto for a number of years on our Tollers.
Recommended by our Vet and our Daughter ( she works @ a Biotech and has access to a lot of test info ) did a pretty good review of the data, efficacy, possible side effects and such and decided to use it on their elderly Lab.
So far, so good.

boxhitch
04-28-2020, 07:43 AM
Have used Farnams Bronco equine spray w/ Permethrin on horses, dogs, and wife.......and me

Dakota Creek
04-28-2020, 09:21 AM
I also get the vet to give Sako an annual Lyme Disease vaccination each year.

Bravecto here as well, but .... and this is just my opinion .... the lepto shot is more important than the lyme vaccine if the dog is already on a tick protection medication.

Dash
04-29-2020, 11:04 AM
You guys are tempting me to switch to Bravecto. It looks like it comes in a chewable tablet or the usual vial. What one are you guys using?

Ron.C
04-29-2020, 11:16 AM
You guys are tempting me to switch to Bravecto. It looks like it comes in a chewable tablet or the usual vial. What one are you guys using?

I use the 3 month chewable tablet. My lab thinks they are treats!

Iron Glove
04-29-2020, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=Dash;2170568]You guys are tempting me to switch to Bravecto. It looks like it comes in a chewable tablet or the usual vial. What one are you guys using?

The chew is easiest.

Dakota Creek
04-29-2020, 12:45 PM

The chewable tablet

Firstblood
04-29-2020, 01:34 PM
Chewable bravecto, 3 month at a time. Going on 3 years no ticks, and Im talkin about the lower loops tic havens.

labguy
04-29-2020, 01:48 PM
Bravecto here as well, but .... and this is just my opinion .... the lepto shot is more important than the lyme vaccine if the dog is already on a tick protection medication.

It’s my understanding that the Lepto virus is very area specific. I know it is prevalent in some states and I’m not sure about EasttCanada. Things could have changed but last time asked my Veterinarian it wasn’t available locally in Central BC unless specifically requested.......which I did as I regularly wintered in Souther California/Arizona ......not part of the regular vaccine protocol in BC.

Maybe 35 Rem will have more up to date information as Lepto is a horrible disease.

Dakota Creek
04-29-2020, 02:01 PM
It’s my understanding that the Lepto virus is very area specific. I know it is prevalent in some states and I’m not sure about EasttCanada. Things could have changed but last time asked my Veterinarian it wasn’t available locally in Central BC unless specifically requested.......which I did as I regularly wintered in Souther California/Arizona ......not part of the regular vaccine protocol in BC.

Maybe 35 Rem will have more up to date information as Lepto is a horrible disease.

Wondered about that as well. It is definitely a vaccine that is highly recommended in the east - particularly for sporting breeds that have their noses down to the ground hunting!

mastercaster
04-29-2020, 04:32 PM

Chewable,,,,just cut in half and added to the kibble.

mastercaster
04-29-2020, 04:40 PM

Just looked at my last vet bill when my dog had her annual vaccinations last month and Canine Cough (Bordetella), Dist/Adeno/Parvo/Parainfluenza, Leptospirosis, and Lyme were on it to be repeated next year. She also got another Bravecto and Interceptor Plus (deworming) tablets.

Sako will need Rabies vaccination again next year, too.

labguy
04-29-2020, 05:23 PM
Just looked at my last vet bill when my dog had her annual vaccinations last month and Canine Cough (Bordetella), Dist/Adeno/Parvo/Parainfluenza, Leptospirosis, and Lyme were on it to be repeated next year. She also got another Bravecto and Interceptor Plus (deworming) tablets.

Sako will need Rabies vaccination again next year, too.

Well that’s good to know. It was like pulling hens teeth to get my vet to order Leptospirosis vaccine........said it wasn’t necessary in this area.

Thanks for that information. Again I hope 35 rem will chime in and give some professional clarity on this.

caddisguy
04-29-2020, 06:19 PM
I picked up 7 female deer ticks and 4 males on the weekend in Region 2. Only one was able latch on briefly before being busted. My found one crawling up her leg and one on the strap of her rifle. She rarely gets them for whatever reason.

Tried to store them in an empty plastic 22 ammo container for later dispatching... realized almost instantly they would squeeze through the tiniest little gaps in the corners. Crazy little hard wired vile creatures.

35rem
04-29-2020, 08:27 PM

Lepto indeed is not on my favorite diseases to treat list. The problem with vaccinating for Lepto is that vaccination does not give long lasting immunity, so annual vaccination is recommended. The other issue is that there are many different serovars (strains) of Lepto and there is not good cross immunity between them. This means that the vaccine strain needs to match the wild strain or protection will be poor. In BC Lepto is mainly found in the more humid areas of the province; LML and the Island. I am in the Okanagan and no positive case has ever been reported to my knowledge. Since allergic reactions to vaccines are often associated with the Lepto component most veterinarians in low risk Lepto areas will not vaccinate for it. However, the vaccine is readily available from a number of manufacturers and can always be specially ordered. Lepto and Rabies vaccines by law can only be administered by a veterinarian.

Regarding tick prevention: my own dog gets NexGard Spectra. Bravecto will do ticks and fleas; NexGard Spectra ticks, fleas, heartworm, hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, and lungworm. Not on the label: both are quite effective against lice and various mites, including scabies. In the Okanagan we see the odd case of heartworm and my dog is not above eating pooh, so I like the deworming aspect of the Nexgard as well.

Here is a good link with info on Lepto:

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951453

And another for Lyme:

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4952009

labguy
04-29-2020, 08:43 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Solid information as per usual.....thanks.

mastercaster
04-29-2020, 08:50 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Solid information as per usual.....thanks.

Sounds like you might not need to worry about Lepto where you live if the Okanagan climate is a plus for not getting the disease. Perhaps the weather is such that you need not worry about it down south either?

Dash
04-30-2020, 09:50 AM
Thank you very much for the info regarding flea and tick prevention everyone!

35rem
04-30-2020, 10:23 AM
Perhaps the weather is such that you need not worry about it down south either?

Depends on where down south you are. The best advice is to call a local veterinary clinic as they know what is in their particular neck of the woods.

high horse Hal
03-16-2022, 04:07 PM
Searched 'ticks' looking for info on flea&tick collars......looks like the oral chew is more popular ?
Collars not as effective maybe?

mastercaster
03-16-2022, 06:01 PM
Searched 'ticks' looking for info on flea&tick collars......looks like the oral chew is more popular ?

Can't go wrong with Bravecto (3 month oral) or Nextguard (1 month oral). Getting a lyme disease vaccination is a good idea, as well, especially if you spend time in the interior where the ticks are much worse. I'm in the bush daily with my dog or in the grasslands/marsh bird hunting a couple of times per week and once the ice comes off the lakes I'm fly fishing 3 days a week up in the interior all spring and summer long,,,,she's five and has been on Bravecto since she was 6 months old and I haven't found a tick on her even once. She's never had fleas on her either. Just the same, she always get an annual Lyme disease vacc.

Dakota Creek
03-17-2022, 02:24 AM

the most effective flea collar is the Seresto collar manufactured by Bayer. Only available in the US. Beware of online knock-offs and check out the packaging carefully.

The problem with collars vs the oral Bravecto medication is the collar quickly loses its effectiveness if you have a dog in the water during the warmer months.

We use Bravecto here ….. one tablet every three months …. Been very happy with the results as no fleas or ticks on the dogs here!