PDA

View Full Version : Princeton bear

lakelander
04-27-2020, 08:25 AM
Went looking for bear up Copper Mountain/Willis FSR over the weekend around Princeton. Saw nothing, no scat, no bear. This is my first year for bear - is it too early? Oddly there was nobody else around over the weekend. If anyone knows the area, please tell me if it's too early as we might try this weekend too. Thanks

RackStar
04-27-2020, 08:45 AM
Id wait 2 more weeks myself.

best bang for buck is may long weekend - mid June I’ve noticed.

Crixus
04-27-2020, 08:57 AM
Hey I was up there as well (Friday) hoping to find some bear sign. Same thing. No scat anywhere. Seems a bit early, a lot of the roads weren't accessible due to snow. There weren't too many fresh greens out.

lakelander
04-27-2020, 09:04 AM
I did see a big cougar though which was pretty awesome. I figured that it is probably a little too early. Still lots of snow, had to turn around several times but was a good weekend to get out of the house and enjoy a campfire and a few brews.

Iron Glove
04-27-2020, 09:11 AM
Son lives in Princeton, we have a place in Tulameen.
He's waiting a bit before heading out for Spring Bear, still lots of snow in the hills, many roads are still pretty crappy.
Lots of bears wandering around the Streets of Princeton but the Townfolk frown upon shooting them. :mrgreen:
Haven't seen any signs at all around Tulameen.

weatherby_man
04-27-2020, 10:32 AM
Love the enthusiasm to get out,,,,,,but probably too early.

browningboy
04-27-2020, 01:57 PM
Look for big south facing slopes with grass..

charlie_horse
04-27-2020, 02:06 PM
Lots of bears being seen and I know of quite a few that have been dropped. Get out there!

caddisguy
04-27-2020, 04:43 PM
Not sure about Princeton, but we have been out camping a couple times times casually looking around in Region 2.

Conditions are 2-3 weeks behind what they normally are but starting to catch up quickly so it might not be that long.

Bears are moving a bit. Grass is getting hit, found a little bit of scat here and there around the valley and saw one bear. For the pocket I normally hunt, I think there is just a saw with a cub or two... could be more than that, but what little movement is happening seems to be mostly at night.

Activity should be increasing a little bit each day. Another week or two there should be a lot of activity.

Gas is cheap, so if you have the time just keep getting out there as much as you can. If time is limited and you want most bang from your buck, I would give it another 2-3 weeks.

lakelander
04-28-2020, 08:16 AM
Thanks all - I thought it was just me not seeing bears! Good excuse to get out anyways

grizzly550
04-28-2020, 09:52 AM
I was out near princeton/tulameen two weeks ago and got on a healthy bear. Nice colour phase, but too young to take imo so we let him continue foraging. Watched him for a good few hours.

walnutz
04-28-2020, 09:52 AM
Where abouts it this FSR outside of Princeton? Im postive i have been on it before but dammed if i can remember where it is..... These things drive me nuts until i recall lol..

lakelander
04-28-2020, 10:18 AM
Where abouts it this FSR outside of Princeton? Im postive i have been on it before but dammed if i can remember where it is..... These things drive me nuts until i recall lol..

Right behind the RCMP - you can't miss it

walnutz
04-28-2020, 11:24 AM
ahhh rite!! Thats it! Thanks for helping me sleep tonight.