PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunting near Terrace

Frederick Wilhelm
04-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Hi, I am new to the Forum and am looking for some advice on Black Bear Hunting around Terrace B.C., as I will head up there for the first time in the next couple of weeks.

I have reached out to a couple of local Butchers, but one said they don't process any game at this time and the other said they are pretty busy and can just mince or sausage it.

The nearest Taxidermists seem to be in Smithers.

Does anyone have good recommendations for either Butchers or Taxidermists in this area ?

Also, are there any special things to note about the Terrace region for Black Bear hunting ? A friend has a pad just north of town, so am starting from there.

Thanks in advance.

Pauly
04-24-2020, 06:33 PM
Hi, I am new to the Forum and am looking for some advice on Black Bear Hunting around Terrace B.C., as I will head up there for the first time in the next couple of weeks.

I have reached out to a couple of local Butchers, but one said they don't process any game at this time and the other said they are pretty busy and can just mince or sausage it.

Does anyone have good recommendations for either Butchers or Taxidermists in this area ?

Also, are there any special things to note about the Terrace region for Black Bear hunting ? A friend has a pad just north of town, so am starting from there.

Thanks in advance.
Head out across the kalum river bridge turn right onto the kaylum highway this turns into the nass valley road awesome for big bears!! Also the back side of the terrace airport is good especially along the power line but check the regs not sure if you can hunt or shoot there any more. Doreen and Ritchie are good but a long drive to kitwanga then back along the river towards ceadarvale! I’d put my money on Nass valley road I used to count 30 bears a day on that drive

Pauly
04-24-2020, 06:34 PM
Across west skeena bridge is close to town big cuts on that side but I’ve never hunted it

likemaple
04-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Two summers ago I was driving from Tatogga to Terrace on hwy37, I sighted 16 black bears along a about 80km on hwy and they just hanging out there along the greens. Can't imagine how many bears in that area. Just try not to be too trigger happy, and find yourself a big one before you fill you tag. Good luck with you hunt!

TDHunter
04-24-2020, 06:56 PM
Head out across the kalum river bridge turn right onto the kaylum highway this turns into the nass valley road awesome for big bears!! Also the back side of the terrace airport is good especially along the power line but check the regs not sure if you can hunt or shoot there any more. Doreen and Ritchie are good but a long drive to kitwanga then back along the river towards ceadarvale! I’d put my money on Nass valley road I used to count 30 bears a day on that drive

Just remember the Nisga'a Hwy (113) and Hwy 37 is no shooting (single projectile) within 400m.

Harvest the Land
04-24-2020, 07:40 PM
Agree with Pauly. Tons of bears and some real knuckle draggers up Nass Valley. Also the Cranberry is good too - saw my first Kermode up in that area. Or go even further up Hwy 37 towards Meziadin. Lots of bears all over the place, saw my second Kermode in that area. Lots of Grizz in those areas too. Always saw at least one every time we drove by the Nass Camp dump.

Welcome to the forum and Good luck

traparatus
04-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Non-locals are not welcome in the Nass Valley right now.

There are more than enough bears around to get one some other place close to Terrace. 14 bears on the highway last year on the drive from Kitwanga to Terrace right around this time of the year. There are a fair few bears around there with a beautiful white tux on the front. That's if you are keeping the fur. Don't know anything about butchers or taxidermists. Decent steelhead fishing on Kitimat too until the river blows out.

Pauly
04-24-2020, 07:58 PM
Non-locals are not welcome in the Nass Valley right now.

There are more than enough bears around to get one some other place close to Terrace. 14 bears on the highway last year on the drive from Kitwanga to Terrace right around this time of the year. There are a fair few bears around there with a beautiful white tux on the front. That's if you are keeping the fur. Don't know anything about butchers or taxidermists. Decent steelhead fishing on Kitimat too until the river blows out.
Give the not welcome thing a rest friend you don’t own the country. Hell I’ve got nothing to do maybe I’ll take a trip to the nass myself and hunt new ianch on the res. I take it your native ? I know that country like no other and theirs few white guys living in that shit hole except nass camp and I doubt that’s up and running

Pauly
04-24-2020, 08:15 PM
Do your thing Fred and have fun don’t let anyone scare you off your trip no shortage of bears in that country. Vandyke and brown bear fsrs great bear country lots of space and you won’t bump into another hunter nobody looks at bears up in that country.

warnniklz
04-24-2020, 08:18 PM
Poke around up nisga'a highway

Frederick Wilhelm
04-24-2020, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback and suggested areas. This is really helpful.

If there is a Taxidermist or Butcher in the area that you can recommend, then that would be appreciated.

Pauly
04-24-2020, 08:39 PM
I’ll check into it I’ve got a bunch of friends working up their

traparatus
04-24-2020, 08:39 PM
Give the not welcome thing a rest friend you don’t own the country. Hell I’ve got nothing to do maybe I’ll take a trip to the nass myself and hunt new ianch on the res. I take it your native ? I know that country like no other and theirs few white guys living in that shit hole except nass camp and I doubt that’s up and running

What in the holy hell??? Nass locals are some of the nicest people I've ever come across. It's a nation of a couple thousand people with no hospital facilities available in the valley. A single death would remove a huge percentage of their whole nation.

How f*******g arrogant can you get? There are literally thousands of kilometers of logging road going of Terrace in every which direction with not a single person living on them. Bears on every single one.

I gotta get off this f***********g site. The shear volume of racism, bigotry and complete lack of compassion is overwhelming.

Good luck hunting, Frederick.

Pauly
04-24-2020, 08:41 PM
Thornhill meats in terrace.. that’s all I got I’m clueless as to taxidermist

Pauly
04-24-2020, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=traparatus;2169228]What in the holy hell??? Nass locals are some of the nicest people I've ever come across. It's a nation of a couple thousand people with no hospital facilities available in the valley. A single death would remove a huge percentage of their whole nation.

How f*******g arrogant can you get? There are literally thousands of kilometers of logging road going of Terrace in every which direction with not a single person living on them. Bears on every single one.

I gotta get off this f***********g site. The shear volume of racism, bigotry and complete lack of compassion is overwhelming.

Good luck hunting, Frederick.
relax buddy I was just pointing out the obvious that I figured you were native.. big deal .. like I said I know that country better than most.. why do you think that is ? Why did I call it a shit hole? Because it is I used to live in kitwanga and yes it’s people are great many are my friends a great many actually.. that being said you don’t own nass road it leads to many places and is a good drive to cranberry junction

Pauly
04-24-2020, 08:55 PM
Other than that see ya!!!

MontyLake
04-24-2020, 10:44 PM

Thanks in advance.

Don't you own a knife?

S.W.A.T.
04-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback and suggested areas. This is really helpful.

If there is a Taxidermist or Butcher in the area that you can recommend, then that would be appreciated.

Best of luck on the taxidermy as many aren't doing it anymore. Sausage factory in smithers said they will take bear but better check with them to see how they want it processed before hand.

Mudsey
04-25-2020, 04:48 PM
I've heard good things about DLM meats in Houston although I haven't used them myself and don't know if they process bear. Canyon Creek Taxidermy in Smithers/Babine area is really good but not sure if he's still in business.

Avalanche123
04-25-2020, 05:26 PM
There are no bear shortages up here....

Previous post is correct.....the Nass, Kispoix, and now Talhtan Country are not welcoming people.....is what it is....

Lots of other areas up here to go for bear

Avalanche123
04-25-2020, 05:28 PM
Northern Wildlife Designs in Burns Lake is my recommendation for Taxidermy.

TDHunter
04-25-2020, 05:49 PM
I've heard good things about DLM meats in Houston although I haven't used them myself and don't know if they process bear. Canyon Creek Taxidermy in Smithers/Babine area is really good but not sure if he's still in business.

Ive been told canyon creek taxidermy is shut down.

S.W.A.T.
04-25-2020, 09:25 PM
Yes for DLM, have taken a few pigs there.

Frederick Wilhelm
04-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Don't you own a knife?

That is not the issue.

I don't have access to proper refrigeration up there, and it's a long drive home.

If possible, I would want to get the meat properly processed and deep cooled before heading out.

walks with deer
04-26-2020, 09:10 AM
should be pretty easy hunt.

walks with deer
04-26-2020, 09:10 AM
head into rupert for processing and fish a day lol.

MontyLake
04-26-2020, 09:29 AM
That is not the issue.

I don't have access to proper refrigeration up there, and it's a long drive home.

If possible, I would want to get the meat properly processed and deep cooled before heading out.

Yeah, I understand, particularly with bear.

A guy bamed Bill Borrett in Smithers was cutting a few years ago. He has a steady job with the BCFS though so it's better to check first. Number should be in the book.

He didn't have pro freezing facilities though. Not then anyway, just some chest freezers.

Blockcaver
04-26-2020, 11:44 AM
As an option put quarters and boned meat in a snowbank to cool it down. Pack it in snow for the trip home if you want to cut it yourself. Big Action Packers, Roughneck containers, quad boxes, etc will work packed full of snow if the meat has spent time in a snowbank before hand. Of course a large cooler or 3 is even better for keeping the snow. I usually put the game bagged meat into large trash bags to keep the water from the melting from leaching it.

04-26-2020, 02:28 PM
Put the boned out meat in big freezer ziplocks. 5-6 should do a bear. You can then freeze it or keep it on ice until you can freeze it. Drop off at a meat place in your local as works for your schedule. As for a taxidermist I use one in Prince George. (Bear bonez taxidermy)

tigrr
04-26-2020, 02:51 PM
Hint: Call the bear rehab place in smithers and say you want to view bears that they have released and ask for release locations. Don't mention hunt!!

Pauly
04-27-2020, 09:36 PM
That is not the issue.

Hey I spend almost a month a year up their fishing go to praxair in terrace buy 10 lbs of dry ice and throw it in with a few blocks you’ll be golden for two day and evening will be froze solid