PDA

View Full Version : New Bison Zones ?!

JustinG
04-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Was just about to enter for Bison and quickly realized that the zones have changed. Totally removed the south side of the Halfway Valley (removing McQue Flats). Those who have done this hunt know what that means. Gone from North / South zones to East / West. This is a really bizarre change?!? Anyone have insight on why?

pg83
04-23-2020, 01:51 PM
I have a few guesses, but will need to see the new regs at the end of June to be sure.

JustinG
04-23-2020, 01:56 PM
Just looking at it there is no point in even going through Pink Mountain ranch anymore. Maybe that is the point... it's a brand new hunt again.

browningboy
04-23-2020, 02:09 PM
There's rumor of a short GOS on the bison, I'm really hoping for that draw as I've been putting in since 1995!

charlie_horse
04-23-2020, 02:27 PM
Rumors of a bison open season.

Pocahontas
04-23-2020, 02:35 PM
I hope I get a draw this year but this is also interesting...

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/content/implement-bison-gos-and-amend-leh-zone-boundaries

Ltbullken
04-23-2020, 02:37 PM
There is supposed to be some GOS zones coming so we won't likely see them on LEH I'm thinking. Could always give the regional biologist a call to enquire.

JustinG
04-23-2020, 02:43 PM
Thanks Pocahontas, that is some great info.

Darksith
04-23-2020, 04:57 PM
how would one even hunt the western region? Would have to be all on horseback basically no? The HR trail does go into the very southern part, and I guess the northern part has redfern trail...is there another way in there that I don't know of?

264mag
04-23-2020, 05:18 PM
I have put in for this for 15 years and have always applied for zone b in the hope that one could rent the cabins. Are they in the new d zone now? This could be a game changer for this draw.

Mudsey
04-23-2020, 07:02 PM
Sikanni Outfitters are in the new Zone D. There may be a GOS season both to the North and The South of the LEH areas opening September 01. If this is the case it will be a complete gong show. Last year I had the Oct 01-15 draw for the old Zone B and there were at least 75 hunters in the valley and it was nuts. My group was successful but it was a tough slog and I won't go back. I'll be happy to share any info with anyone drawn, this hunt was on my bucket list, I'm really glad I did it but once is enough.

Thunderstix
04-23-2020, 07:41 PM
I might have seen you there ��. Was there until the 4th or 5th....we got 3

KodiakHntr
04-23-2020, 07:48 PM
Ironic, I was there too, but just poking around looking at other critters. Took me a bit on the 1st to figure out why it sounded like a Nascar warm up as it was getting light out.

264mag
04-23-2020, 09:42 PM
Does Sikanni outfitters still rent the cabins to resident hunters?

xfactor
04-24-2020, 06:34 AM
Does Sikanni outfitters still rent the cabins to resident hunters?
as of last year yes they did. also had their main cabin open to hunters for a room and board arrangement.

Pocahontas
04-24-2020, 02:05 PM
Sikanni Outfitters are in the new Zone D. There may be a GOS season both to the North and The South of the LEH areas opening September 01. If this is the case it will be a complete gong show. Last year I had the Oct 01-15 draw for the old Zone B and there were at least 75 hunters in the valley and it was nuts. My group was successful but it was a tough slog and I won't go back. I'll be happy to share any info with anyone drawn, this hunt was on my bucket list, I'm really glad I did it but once is enough.

Well this is disheartening...

RambleOn
04-24-2020, 10:26 PM
I might have seen you there ��. Was there until the 4th or 5th....we got 3
Same here. Met some good people up there. Even lent out our raft. Weather broke not too long after the 5th. Got pretty ugly. Took a week to melt the quad back in the city. Some serious damage to rigs trying to get out. And $1k a rig to get pulled up the hill.

xfactor
04-25-2020, 06:09 AM
Same here. Met some good people up there. Even lent out our raft. Weather broke not too long after the 5th. Got pretty ugly. Took a week to melt the quad back in the city. Some serious damage to rigs trying to get out. And $1k a rig to get pulled up the hill.

can you eloborate please. what happened on the way out that damaged trucks? who was pulling them out and charging? towing company?

RambleOn
04-25-2020, 07:42 AM
There is a long steep hill on an ugly road. Once iced up it is a mess. Depending on your rig it may be literally impossible to get out. Tow company has a jumbo triple axle but they have to come a long way and it isn't cheap.

xfactor
04-26-2020, 07:58 AM
been there 2 times...highly suggest proper vbar chains on all 4 corners, problem solved. paying a tow company to get rescued is the price you pay for coming unprepared. just my opinion.

StuBrown
04-26-2020, 07:06 PM
Is the big ugly mud road you are talking about is just down from where the road splits? People camp at the top and other road goes around to the old pumper station?

curt
04-28-2020, 04:01 PM
100% agree with this statement!
been there 2 times...highly suggest proper vbar chains on all 4 corners, problem solved. paying a tow company to get rescued is the price you pay for coming unprepared. just my opinion.

JustinG
04-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Did some reading on the new LEH zones, proposed GOS zones and mapping software. Sikanni River Outfitters, Pink Mountain Ranch and Horse Camp cabins are all in Zone D. I have done this hunt 3 times over the last 7 years and where we got our bison 3 years ago is not in the new zones but in the proposed GOS southern zone. The way it's carved up Zone C is almost a waste of time now...

browningboy
04-28-2020, 10:58 PM
Did some reading on the new LEH zones, proposed GOS zones and mapping software. Sikanni River Outfitters, Pink Mountain Ranch and Horse Camp cabins are all in Zone D. I have done this hunt 3 times over the last 7 years and where we got our bison 3 years ago is not in the new zones but in the proposed GOS southern zone. The way it's carved up Zone C is almost a waste of time now...

I’m sure everyone is thinking this, odds will be way up there now! Lucky you for so many bison hunts, been putting in since 95 and sweet fuq all!

Reese
04-29-2020, 07:52 AM

Agreed, I was in zone B last year Oct 15-30. Too many hunters. Was in Zone A 5 years ago and same thing. Successful on all hunts. Now that the outfitter owns the prime land up there I will not be putting in no more. My type of hunting is not seeing a soul on a 10 day hunt

264mag
04-29-2020, 08:45 AM
How can people hunt zone c under this new scenario?
Is it possible to stay in zone d and sled into c?
This seems crazy to me.

whitlers
04-29-2020, 09:09 AM
How can people hunt zone c under this new scenario?
Is it possible to stay in zone d and sled into c?
This seems crazy to me.

I thought most of the area in Zone C was closed to motorized vehicles. I had the B draw years ago and I remember a couple guys had 'special permission' to take their quads back in way past horse camp. They were hunting Elk.

Darksith
04-29-2020, 12:57 PM
I thought most of the area in Zone C was closed to motorized vehicles. I had the B draw years ago and I remember a couple guys had 'special permission' to take their quads back in way past horse camp. They were hunting Elk.

snow mobiles are exempt

Thunderstix
04-29-2020, 03:55 PM
i probably saw your too lol.

Ironic, I was there too, but just poking around looking at other critters. Took me a bit on the 1st to figure out why it sounded like a Nascar warm up as it was getting light out.

Thunderstix
04-29-2020, 03:57 PM
which outfitter are you referring to that owns the prime land??

Agreed, I was in zone B last year Oct 15-30. Too many hunters. Was in Zone A 5 years ago and same thing. Successful on all hunts. Now that the outfitter owns the prime land up there I will not be putting in no more. My type of hunting is not seeing a soul on a 10 day hunt

Thunderstix
04-29-2020, 04:01 PM
In 2013 I left my travel trailer in there for 2 weeks due to snow and 8km hill....was still in Fort nelson back then so was no big deal to go back and retrieve it.

There is a long steep hill on an ugly road. Once iced up it is a mess. Depending on your rig it may be literally impossible to get out. Tow company has a jumbo triple axle but they have to come a long way and it isn't cheap.

RambleOn
04-29-2020, 05:59 PM
In 2013 I left my travel trailer in there for 2 weeks due to snow and 8km hill....was still in Fort nelson back then so was no big deal to go back and retrieve it.
I have heard that it doesn't matter about the snow or the hill you just need good chains :)

whitlers
04-29-2020, 06:03 PM
I have heard that it doesn't matter about the snow or the hill you just need good chains :)

I wasn't going to go there but I'm glad you did haha. Gotta come 'prepared' right.

Cub Driver
04-29-2020, 06:17 PM
The new zone 7-42C is the western potions of the old zones A and B. There is no ATV or UTV vehicle access, as has been the case for many years. The Sikanni trail has always ended at Trible Creek and the Halfway trail has for many years ended just past Horse Camp. ATV and UTV access is limited to within 10 metres either side of these access trails. As in the past the only vehicle access is by snow machine. There may be a GOS season south of the Halfway River and along the Redfern trail (south to the height of land and North to the Besa River. https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/cont...one-boundaries (https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/content/implement-bison-gos-and-amend-leh-zone-boundaries)
The intend was to limit the range for Bison, particularly to the North to keep Bison of the Sheep range.

264mag
04-29-2020, 06:40 PM
I guess my question would be: If you drew 7-42c could you stay at one of the cabin or lodge operations and sled to the area or is that just not feasible. It would seem to me that if sleds are the only option then nobody is going to apply for c. On the other hand if you have sleds and it’s possible why wouldn’t you ?

Cub Driver
04-29-2020, 07:36 PM
I harvested a Bison in 2018, in what is now 7-42c. Stayed at ranch and used snow machine and went a considerable distance past Trimble Creek. Made for a long day and got back after dark.

JustinG
04-30-2020, 12:43 PM
In our 2 October draws (1-15 OCT and 16-31 OCT) we stayed at the Horse Camp cabins. It was like HWY 1 on a weekday in the morning during the first week going by the cabins and not a single one parked their ATV, side x side or Samurai before the no vehicle border. Given the main trails are in the LEH zones and how much these animals dislike motors the majority of the GOS hunters are going to be blazing through LEH territory to get to the obvious spots south of the Halfway River. I want to put in for Zone C but given our experience with traffic in the October and January hunts I guess we have to see what the new General regs say...

whitlers
04-30-2020, 12:58 PM
In our 2 October draws (1-15 OCT and 16-31 OCT) we stayed at the Horse Camp cabins. It was like HWY 1 on a weekday in the morning during the first week going by the cabins and not a single one parked their ATV, side x side or Samurai before the no vehicle border. Given the main trails are in the LEH zones and how much these animals dislike motors the majority of the GOS hunters are going to be blazing through LEH territory to get to the obvious spots south of the Halfway River. I want to put in for Zone C but given our experience with traffic in the October and January hunts I guess we have to see what the new General regs say...

I though the majority of the trail from the Ranch to the Horse Camp was weight restricted. How was someone crusing around in a Samurai. Our SxS was barely legal weight when we went years ago.

Darksith
04-30-2020, 01:10 PM
I though the majority of the trail from the Ranch to the Horse Camp was weight restricted. How was someone crusing around in a Samurai. Our SxS was barely legal weight when we went years ago.

some people don't follow rules. They did up the weight but not enough for a samurai I bet...

whitlers
04-30-2020, 05:21 PM
some people don't follow rules. They did up the weight but not enough for a samurai I bet...

Yeah that's crazy. If I remember it was something like 12-1500lbs when we went. I could be wrong.

Thunderstix
04-30-2020, 07:48 PM
It was 1100lbs but is now 1650.

xfactor
05-16-2020, 07:08 AM
I harvested a Bison in 2018, in what is now 7-42c. Stayed at ranch and used snow machine and went a considerable distance past Trimble Creek. Made for a long day and got back after dark.

what time of the year was your draw?

Darksith
05-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Yeah that's crazy. If I remember it was something like 12-1500lbs when we went. I could be wrong.

was 1500, can't remember what they upped it to, but the bigger SxS can now drive the trails

barry1974w
06-03-2020, 11:06 PM
When we were up there a couple years ago, our group was the only party stopping at the boundary just past horse camp. There was no signs(removed), and no enforcement.

Wadebray
06-06-2020, 07:37 AM
I read that they were spreading out and they didn't want them to

Markavery
09-01-2020, 08:15 PM
How do you contact the “Horseback Cabins” seems like an option to hunt 7-42C