PDA

View Full Version : She Shoots - She Scores!

brotherjack
10-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Here’s the story, written down by me, told in the 1st person, taken from the story as told me by The Wife ™.

A couple times this year before the start of hunting season, we had seen a really, really nice buck hanging around at different spots near an area we frequently hunt. I tried not to get my hopes up too high, but when you know a big one is hanging around, you know you’ve always got a chance you might get him.

We got distracted, and spent the whole month of September focused on elk. By this time, I didn’t have any idea if the big whitetail was still around or not. Then, in early October, we had a chance encounter with a friend of ours, who said he had seen what we’re sure was the same buck, just a few days before, still in the same general area. So, with that news, I thought I might start getting out to look for that whitetail some while The Husband™ kept working on his elk tag.

On an evening drive, we ran into the same friend on the logging road. He said he wasn’t sure, but he thought he had seen a decent buck hanging around up on a high ridgeline, but couldn’t tell exactly because he had forgotten his binoculars that evening. So, we took a drive up to the area and started glassing. There were some elk out in the clear cut, so we forgot all about the whitetail as we glassed them looking for a six point for The Husband™ to shoot. There was only a spike bull to be seen in amongst the cows, but as I was looking around through the binoculars, I spotted the head and antlers of a very decent looking buck sticking up over a ridge. He had antlers out past his ears, and was definitely a shooter buck, but he was about 350 yards away, and rapidly ducked back out of sight. It was late evening, but we took a quick run up the hill in the fading light to see if we could spot him on the other side of the ridge. No such luck.

We went back the following evening, but I think we got there too late. There was only an hour or so of daylight left after we got in position, and while we did see a couple of cow elk, there was not much moving around. I went back again the following morning, but didn’t see anything but squirrels. So, Thursday evening, I took off work an hour early at 4:00 pm, and left The Husband™ at home working and went out to see if I could improve my luck by showing up earlier.

I drove in, parked the truck, and got out. However, I noticed the wind was predominantly from the opposite direction from what it had been on previous hunts, so I knew I couldn’t setup in the same spot we had been using. So, I got back in the truck and drove a bit farther down the road, and parked behind a slash pile. I then made my way about 300 yards up into the clear cut. I setup in the branches of a big tree that had blown down in the wild windstorm we had earlier this year, and spritzed myself liberally with scent control spray. From this position, I had an excellent view of the bowl on the backside of the ridge where we had originally seen the deer. There were several good trails that came out into the bowl, and it was an area that couldn’t be seen from the road, so it made sense the critters might hide out there and feed. Plus the day before I had seen a lot of fresh sign on the trails.

I sat there watching the grass blow in the wind for about 15 or 20 minutes. The wind was swirling just enough to make me nervous, so I lightly re-spritzed myself with the scent control spray about every 5 minutes. About that time, a doe came out of the timber about 150 yards away, and then came down into the little bowl I was overlooking to about 80 yards away. Then she settled down, and fed around in the clearing for about half an hour. From the spot I was sitting, I had a gorgeous view of the mountains. I was just soaking it up, and enjoying the experience while I watched the doe wander around in the clearing. I wanted to watch her and the treeline through the binoculars, but the sun was right on me and I was concerned about glint off the lens.

During this time, I had noticed that the doe kept glancing back into the tree line towards the same spot every time. I tried off and on to see what it might be, but I never spotted anything. Finally, after about 30 minutes, just inside the edge of the trees about 120 yards away, the buck came into sight. Even with the naked eye, it was obvious he was a pretty good buck, at least a good heavy 4 point I thought. While he was busily thrashing a tree, trying to impress the doe, I dialed the zoom up on the rifle scope and got the crosshairs pointing his direction. I was just sure, that it was the decent looking buck we had seen a few nights earlier from 350 yards away. But this time, he was close enough to shoot!

Finally deciding the tree had had enough, the buck stepped out into the clearing a few steps and stood there looking around. With my heart pounding in my chest so hard I could see the cross hairs twitch, I steadied the rifle carefully across my knees and breathed deep a few times to steady myself. I took careful aim, visualizing in my mind the exit hole I was trying to put in his off side shoulder, given the angle I was shooting him from. I finally got the cross hairs steady enough I felt good about the shot, and squeezed the trigger. He dropped in his tracks at the shot. The doe looked back dumbfounded, as if confused by why her boyfriend had just laid down.

He lay there for what I think was a few minutes (it’s really hard to tell time at a moment like that!), but his head was still up and moving slightly. His head stayed up for what seemed like far too long, so I decided to risk loosing a bit more meat and shot him again. The second time, I shot him in the neck in order to minimize good meat loss, which turned out his lights instantly.

Even after all that, the doe didn’t run off. She kept looking back at the buck and twitching her ears, as if to say “are you coming? I’m ready to head on down to the creek for a drink now. Aren’t you coming? Come on. Let’s go. What’s wrong with you?”

I sat there for about 10 minutes, thanking God over and over again, watching the doe wonder what was going on, and just soaking up the moment for all it was worth. Eventually, I picked up the cell phone and called The Husband™, and told him in what he says was a very shaky voice, that I thought I had shot a pretty decent buck. After he said he was on his way to help with the hard work, I finally got up and made my way the 120 or so yards to where the buck was laying at the edge of the timber. I had to chase the doe off as I moved in, as even then, she was still hanging around. She was obviously not one of the brighter deer in the forest.

The closer I got, the bigger he looked. It’s usually the other way around! As I walked up to him and started looking him over, I realized I had shot a buck that was way better than just ‘decent’. The huge antlers were easily as big as any I have ever seen around here, and his body size made me very happy The Husband™ was coming to help haul him out! After looking him over, I think this may have been the same buck that we’d seen back in the pre-season, but maybe not. If not, there may be a bigger one still out there, and maybe I’ll get him next year!

http://xjack.org/hunting/wwt1-07.jpg

http://xjack.org/hunting/wwt7-07.jpg

http://xjack.org/hunting/wwt8-07.jpg

mark
10-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Very nice whitey! One of that size still eludes me. Congrads to the wife!

brotherjack
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Very nice whitey! One of that size still eludes me. Congrads to the wife!

LOL - still eluding me too! The biggest one I ever shot will sit inside that one she just shot.

todbartell
10-11-2007, 11:19 PM
that is a nice buck, congrats to her 8-)

Allen50
10-11-2007, 11:20 PM
yep the little lady takes the big buck,, way to cool,,,,

Jetboat
10-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Very nice whitetail :shock: Tell your wife congratulations. That'll go good with the nice muley she popped a couple years back. Seems you've got some catching up to do there bud :wink:

308BAR
10-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Awesome WT! Great brow tines on that deer. Congrats!!!

Steeleco
10-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Go girl!!!!

beeker
10-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Hey right on that's a real BEAUTY!!

pitdog
10-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Congrats to the wife, great looking white tail.

newhunterette
10-12-2007, 03:50 AM
woooooooooooohooooooooooooo score another one for the Ladies - dang that's a nice buckaroo - congratulations

Seeadler
10-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Wow! I have never seen one that big in the Koots.

chola
10-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Wow! I have never seen one that big in the Koots.
There's a few of them running around...I can never seem to connect with them,pretty cagie them big fellas...

Thats a very nice buck brotherjack,give the wife my congrats...what was the weight of this guy on the hook,looks huge bodied:cool:

sealevel
10-12-2007, 05:28 AM
that is a very nice buck wow

Tanya
10-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Excellent! Congratulations, great buck.

dave_fras
10-12-2007, 06:39 AM
thats a beauty!... the deer i got this year looks like a baby compared to that one haha

lapadat
10-12-2007, 06:53 AM
BrotherJack

Very nice WT. Did you guys flip a coin for the shot or what?

Elkaholic
10-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Way to score on a big daddy rabbit. Tell your wife a big congrats, that is a good one to smoke around here. Lots of people dont think we have them here but we do. Way to go.

Buckman
10-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Didn't hurt that much! It was allll down hill! (I was on the other side of those antlers, young fella) Nice buck though.

tuchodi
10-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Congrat's to you wife . Thats a excellent Whitetail, bigger than anything I have ever shot. What does your wife use for a rifle?

Wildman
10-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Nice buck.........I gotta get of this rock!

brotherjack
10-12-2007, 09:04 AM
what was the weight of this guy on the hook,looks huge bodied:cool:

We hang/cut own meat and don't have a scale, so don't know exactly the weight on the hook. My back says he was really dang heavy though!

That said, I'd say that guestimating based on how easily I can toss 100lbs around in the weight room, I'd guess this guy around 150 to 175 on the hook, probably around 250 to 275 on the hoof.

Bow Walker
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
That'd make a great mount Adam. Congratulations on a super shot!

Canuck2
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Yep, big body as well as impressive antlers. That's a humdinger; more congrats to your wife.

brotherjack
10-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Did you guys flip a coin for the shot or what?

Nope, I wasn't even there. She was out on her own when she got him. Besides, I cut my whitetail tag on opening day of archery season on a nice 5x5 in velvet, so it wouldn't have been a debate regardless. :)

BCrams
10-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Impressive whitetail buck! Congratulations! Always a treat to see female hunters harvest great animals.

highcountry88
10-12-2007, 09:12 AM
very nice white-tail....I don't think I have seen that size of white tail...way to go....

GoatGuy
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
That's a good EK whitey - nice to see.

brotherjack
10-12-2007, 09:32 AM
What does your wife use for a rifle?

Brand new (to us) for this year, she's been packing a Kimber Montana in 308 Winchester, handloaded with BL-C(2) and 165 grain Hornady InterBond's, topped off with a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x scope. With loads it likes, the gun typically shoots quarter size groups at 100 meters, and weighs in right at 6.4lbs scoped, loaded, shell holder+shells, sling and all. It's something of an upgrade from the 12lb of 303 Enfield that she's been packing around in all the previous years of hunting. :)

brotherjack
10-12-2007, 09:35 AM
That'd make a great mount Adam.

Yep, it's definitely getting mounted. I'm making enough money at the moment we can almost afford it, so off to the taxidermist it goes. :)

brotherjack
10-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Didn't hurt that much! It was allll down hill! (I was on the other side of those antlers, young fella) Nice buck though.

Speak for yourself, my back is killing me today!

brotherjack
10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
That'll go good with the nice muley she popped a couple years back. Seems you've got some catching up to do there bud :wink:

Hey hey now, let's not get too carried away! The biggest mule deer antlers in the house (by a mile) were from one _I_ shot. The Wife got a pretty decent one last year, tis true, but the big one we got 2 years ago was mine. :)

srupp
10-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Very impressive well done my friend..definitaly one for the bragging wall..

Cheers

Steven

pupper
10-12-2007, 09:57 AM
WOW nice WT

308Lover
10-12-2007, 10:21 AM
What a beautiful smile------and what a good reason for it!

rocksteady
10-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Way to go....You and your wife sure are hard on the wildlife in the East Kootenays:wink::wink:.....I am just jealous because I can't find a 6 point bull yet....

Very nice buck, real purdy>>>

Not a horn hunter by any means, but just of the top of my head I would say its gonna go around 145....B/C bok is 150, so it might be worth getting it taped>>>

wolverine
10-12-2007, 10:29 AM
:eek: Holy Cow! Only in my dreams! Way to go to the wife.

MIL720
10-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm guessin that one's goin on the wall for sure.Very nice buck.good shottin!!!1

brotherjack
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Way to go....You and your wife sure are hard on the wildlife in the East Kootenays:wink::wink:.....I am just jealous because I can't find a 6 point bull yet....

Yeah, we do usually do pretty good with the deer hunting. Seems we bring home a fairly decent deer for every 3 or 4 days spent hunting them. This was only maybe the 4th or 5th time this year either of us went looking for a whitetail.

Elk hunting is another story though. I'm so sick and tired of waking up before daylight to go on yet another unsuccessful elk hunt, that I'm probably not going to hunt elk again in future years till they drop that six point restriction or I get a LEH. This year, I'm pushing 40 days hunting morning and evening for elk, and and 95% of the time I don't even see a bull, much less a six point. Heck, the vast majority of the time, I don't even see any elk at all.

Very nice buck, real purdy>>>

Not a horn hunter by any means, but just of the top of my head I would say its gonna go around 145....B/C bok is 150, so it might be worth getting it taped>>>

We're not really horn hunters either (though, hey, we all hope to shoot a big one, eh?). Though, I must say, that if 150 is the minimum, then I think this guy will probably make that. The previous biggest set of antlers we have I've home-measured at around 130-something gross (looses a lot in deductions though), and those will sit comfortably inside the one she just shot, and has quite a bit shorter tines - so add a couple inches of spread credit, add an extra few inches per tine, figure this one looks pretty symmetrical, and I think this one just might make it. Regardless though - who cares, really - it's a GOREGOUS deer!

It's already at the taxidermist though, so we'll have to wait till we get it back to find out (DOH!).

brotherjack
10-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Bump - now with story and extra pics.

Will
10-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Awesome Buck ! 8-)

Kitimat Killer
10-12-2007, 05:11 PM
wow that is a nice deer way to go good to see your wife do that man

Blktail
10-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Awesome deer.

I wish more people took the time to tell their stories like this. It gets the blood racing and makes 5AM seem like sleeping in!

Brambles
10-13-2007, 06:50 PM
awesome whitetail, congrats to your wife.

Derek_Erickson
10-13-2007, 07:26 PM
looks like a bit of alfalfa caught up on his antlers should taste good anyway, nice going!

Jetboat
10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
but the big one we got 2 years ago was mine

Umm...OK, sure whatever you say...;)

Just pulling your chain, Bro'...:lol: I just read the updated story. Very good job by The Wife tm.

Farmer
10-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Great Whitetail!!! Congrats to Mrs. Brotherjack. I would be happy to see a whitetail buck that impressive. At least until I see one then just seeing wouldn't be enough.

brotherjack
10-13-2007, 10:43 PM

Wow - you're pretty good at that horn guestimation thing. :)

I got the horns back from the taxidermist temporarily while he tans the cape. Doing a quick and dirty job with the B&C score sheet, and it looks like he gross scores right at 151 or so, and net's about 141 (maybe a hair more - kind of hard to follow horn contours with a retractible tape measure). :)

TGF
10-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Nothing beats a live decoy heh. Nice looking buck and great read:razz:

Freshtracks
10-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Congrats to the wife .... that's an awesome buck. I'm definately seeing her behind that 6 point bull before you.:razz:

BCLongshot
10-14-2007, 08:44 AM
EXCELLENT

It's a blast hunting with the wife.