PDA

View Full Version : What's your quad breakdown kit?

bruce44
04-20-2020, 10:08 PM
So I finally got a quad. Thinking of doing some exploring to some areas that would have taken me hours to hike through. None of my friends have any ORV's so tow out in the middle of the bush may be hard to find. What should I carry with me when I go do some spring scouting for fall hunting season?

Not really much I can do if something major breaks. What's worst breakdown you guys have had on your quads and how did you get it out?

Bustercluck
04-20-2020, 10:13 PM
Tire plugs and a pump
whatever u need to change a belt(if you have a belt)
maybe one of those small boost packs. I don’t own one, but a few of the guys I work with have them. They’re good for a jumpstart or charging your phone. Maybe even power your unit back to town if it stops charging.

Ferenc
04-21-2020, 02:08 AM
On the air pumps look at the Zefal brands ... mini or micro pumps ... they stash away nicely
And if you don’t have a winch I recommend a lightweight aluminum come along .

Ferenc
04-21-2020, 02:11 AM
Have a look at the “Lug All “ brand Come along model 4000-20

srupp
04-21-2020, 02:49 AM
Slime ATV pump..size of a couple packs of cigarettes, I seal mine in 4 mm chamber sealer bag so no water, moisture, mud..
I was so impressed I bought a regular Slime pump for my truck..
Extra spark plug, a Leatherman, spare fuses, quality tire plugs, tool, glue..replace tire plugs/ glue every so many years..has a shelf life.only had 1 flat in 25 years on original Honda tires..used a couple of plugs. .glue with duct tape on the outside..got me plenty of miles back to my truck and home. .replaced all tires with ITP ..now Traxion will be my next hunting tires....use studded Traxion tires for winter plowing.
Srupp

beaverhunter69
04-21-2020, 03:47 AM
A winch, and a couple tow straps, I echo the tire plug kit as well.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-21-2020, 04:12 AM
Good thread! Many have been done before but this is an important topic.

After a recent outing I have added a fire extinguisher to my box. So far I have owned 2 ATVs and both have caught fire. Luckily we were stuck in snow on the recent one and we were able to use a shovel. Could have been disastrous.

SSS

Wentrot
04-21-2020, 04:57 AM
Tire plugs, compressor, zip ties and a first aid kit. I’d add more for any long rides but I don’t usually travel far.

nature girl
04-21-2020, 05:52 AM
Its not a break down kit but a cheap shower curtain they fold up small incase you get into a unexpected rain storm.
A breakdown that we had on a guad once. We were both on the same atv. Its was spring bear hunting some snow in the area still. We crossed this creek you had to go down a little hill cross the creek and come up a little hill. The creek was about 8 feet across. We crossed it no problem. Went bear hunting.
Well it was in the afternoon when we came back and that little creek was a roaring now. We went half way across and the atv just died. The boyfriend jump off I stayed on and put all the brakes on. As this creek goes down a hill. Well anyways we tried to get it out. We got it down the creek more and tied it up. Lots of big bouldars in this creek. We walked out 10 kms to the truck, Atv access only to the creek from the truck. Went home got my atv and went the next day and got the atv out. We used some come alongs rope and snatch blocks to get it out. I think it ended up being a blown fuse or a solenoid. So always be prepared for the unexpected.

wrenchhead
04-21-2020, 05:54 AM
Roll of mechanics wire....had to wire up a tie rod to get out of the bush on time.

Pioneerman
04-21-2020, 06:00 AM
I have had a couple dozen ORV since they first came out, and always over pack, or so it seemed, until you need it. Definitely tire plugs, but not the little 6 pack, carry a fist full. when moose hunting I ride over a log and buddy followed, but he slid sideways got a broken branch right through sidewall of tire , that took 13 plugs to seal, we got back ok, and next morning we rode through a swamp and again he punched a hole right through center of tire, took 11 plugs. we were just dipping plugs in glue can and putting them in by hand not the tool for the first part of hole fill, so carry plenty. These tires were new and not cheap, so can happen any time. Also when using plugs these little tubes of glue will not suffice, you need a small 1/2 pint can you can get at Can tire, they last for years and you never run short. The little foot pumps always seem to be reliable. Tire slime does NOT work for many situations, so do not rely on it to take care of any holes. Of course winch and straps flashlight and fire starter, black tape , zip ties, different size hiose3 clamps can really come in handy, decent little tool kit, and for brush tools, I have found a machete to be used more than anything, and always had a fire axe mattock far more useful than a shovel. Small chainsaw is a life saver, and have a liter of premixed gas which can also work in a pinch if you run out6 in your machine, it might smoke a bit, but better than walking 10 kms in the dark. You can use synthetic 2 stroke oil , hardly any smoke. Always fuel up before going out, you might plan for short ride, but sometimes you have to return another way, and if you do not have a full tank you will be pissed you did not fill up first.

frase
04-21-2020, 06:52 AM
Lots of good ideas here. I also pack a snatch block, an extra 50 ft of cable, a bow saw, and pruners .

northof49
04-21-2020, 07:20 AM
InReach or Sat phone and let someone know general area you will be in

Bustercluck
04-21-2020, 07:34 AM
The first time I read the post I was thinking about fixing the machine when it breaks down, but now I reread the post and thought more about the other stuff in my box. 2 come alongs (the cable kind), an axe, a length of rope or cable(you can cut cable with a hard axe and soft hammer or learn to tie a cable knot), water, first aid kit, shackle, a tarp, gloves, a work vest, and I usually leave my jetboil in there with a couple of meals.

I think about spending the night when I leave gear in there.

Let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll be back. Has anyone read the story about the guy in port Alice who rolled his trike on himself and was stuck under it for a week. Lost his leg and spent quite a bit of time in the hospital.

I’ll mention the quad ramps thing too. I always tie mine off to the bumper, I’ve heard a couple of stories of the ramps slipping off on guys by themselves and having the machine land on them. I know nobody does it, but I definitely do if I’m by myself.

hawk-i
04-21-2020, 08:04 AM
Tire repair and pump kit, extra belt, emergency rations.

BCBRAD
04-21-2020, 08:12 AM
I suggest that you change a belt at home at least once before trying it in the field. Then you will know what tools to pack.

A trail plan left with a person that can rescue you, a Garmin Explorer, and a space blanket, food/water/treats, riot shotgun, for a night in the bush.

Plus all the other things mentioned.

operator jon
04-21-2020, 08:39 AM
A ratchet strap to wrap around the centre of the tire in case you pop it off the bead.
If you put a large slash in the side wall, take the weight of the tire, roll the slash to the top and fill the tire with insulating foam, let it set. It will get you back to civilization.
Clean up is time consuming.

knothead
04-21-2020, 08:41 AM
Does anyone have a good way to have remote power on their quad to easily hook up a compressor or other electrical gadget to their battery without taking the front of the quad apart? I have a 700 grizzly and looking for a solution to basically have remote battery terminals.

Bernie O
04-21-2020, 08:43 AM
Common sense driving a Honda and you wont need any of the above. It is however good to be prepared.

Bustercluck
04-21-2020, 09:06 AM
Does anyone have a good way to have remote power on their quad to easily hook up a compressor or other electrical gadget to their battery without taking the front of the quad apart? I have a 700 grizzly and looking for a solution to basically have remote battery terminals.
You should be able to mount a cigarette lighter somewhere. It should be pretty easy to find at any auto parts store. My Honda came with one.

bighornbob
04-21-2020, 09:09 AM
What I carry in my box on the quad, may be over kill but it all fits in this box and is always on the quad:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tundra-tested-atv-rear-box-0278184p.html#srp

Helmet
Goggles
Shitter paper
pack of wet wipes
10 pairs of rubber gloves squished into a large pill bottle
Sunscreen
Slime pack that has a compressor. Also extra plugs
5l gerry can
14" chain saw
500ml extra chain saw gas in gatoraid bottle
2 ratchet tie straps
9x12 tarp
rag that chain saw sits on
clean hand towel to wipe condensation off machine in morning
24" axe
Roll of duct tape
small folding shovel (one of the surplus military ones) This gets replaced with an take down aluminum avalanche shovel when hunting in November or for spring bears.
about 10 rubber bungees
Small cargo net for the front rack
Tree Strap
Small socket set
Small travel bag with ( roll of electrical tape, snatch block, 12 zipties, screw driver with multiple heads, pliers, 3 open end wrenches for the three sizes on my machine, about 3-4 various steel shackles)
50 Feet of extra cable with hooks on each end
Rain Pants still in package (I think they are still in there)???
6ft cable synch. (Its just 1/4 cable with a loop on each end. Can easily cinch it onto a log or deer with one loop and other slips over trailer ball)
Winch Remote

I think thats everything in the box. Its pretty jam packed but I can still put a 1L water bottle bottle in there if required on hot days. Great idea about the pipe clamps. Can easily fit a bunch of those in the travel bag.

BHB

fishhunt
04-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Tire patch, hand pump, small tools, rope, zip ties, hammer, straightened crow bar, and some things in case I have to spend the night (tarp, fire starter, etc.). The bar and hammer are for winching out of spots where there aren't any trees to tie off too. I hammer the bar into the ground and connect the winch to it and voila. Free at last!

hawk-i
04-21-2020, 10:48 AM
I've made many many miles alone in the bush miles from the nearest soul on atv's, bikes and snowmobiles as well as on foot. Over a 50 year span of do so, I can honestly say I have never in all that time had a break down that has left me stranded.

The best kit is preventative maintenance on your mode of transportation and enough common sense to not drive like an idiot when you are going it solo.

Tire repair kits, extra belt, extra plug and emergency supplies are always a good idea....you shouldn't have to ask the question on a website to know this :)

robert05
04-21-2020, 10:59 AM
There are times when you have to remove a tire, I always have a socket and ratchet for this.

albravo2
04-21-2020, 11:10 AM
same as most people above, but don't forget to stash toilet paper and bug dope somewhere on the machine.

with enough ingenuity there is almost always a way back to the truck.

beaverhunter69
04-21-2020, 11:46 AM
Common sense driving a Honda and you wont need any of the above. It is however good to be prepared.

Yes :wink:

Drillbit
04-21-2020, 12:04 PM
I don't go anywhere without a chainsaw on mine. Might have to spend the night and there's always something across the trails.

Used to pack a SthilMS170 but just switched to a Echo cs2115t

And ya, tire plugs and a pump, but have seen on more than 1 occasion guys go over 30km on a flat and not wreck the rim, even on a sxs. Some times you need several plugs to patch a hole so have lots.

Had one buddy bring a tube, but we could never get a tire off a bead to use it.

WWBC
04-21-2020, 12:04 PM
Good thread.

The one I didn’t think about was a fire extinguisher. That would be a good call.

stuff currently on my quad:
- rain gear
- lumber tarp folded
-Spare belt
-small princess Auto shovel
- tree saver, straps, snatch block
-tow rope wrapped around the the rear push bar.
- Chain saw ( would like to get a smaller one for the quad).

good thread,
Need to add a tire plug kit and pump for sure!

knothead
04-21-2020, 12:13 PM
You should be able to mount a cigarette lighter somewhere. It should be pretty easy to find at any auto parts store. My Honda came with one.
That would be easy enough but I would like to be able to jump start and I don't believe a cig lighter would handle that.

Bustercluck
04-21-2020, 12:38 PM
That would be easy enough but I would like to be able to jump start and I don't believe a cig lighter would handle that.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all76320?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwczmy6H66AIVkxh9Ch3pIA4XEAQYAyAB EgI4x_D_BwE

something like this could work. I haven’t used this particular one, but I’ve seen guys use similar ones on their welders for having their cables on a spool. You could make up a jumper cable with the other side or leave a tail of cable out of it for using regular jumper cables and make another one up with a cig lighter for charging. I’d probably rig up a cig lighter separate though. They come in handy.

Drillbit
04-21-2020, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=WWBC;2168000]Good thread.

The one I didn’t think about was a fire extinguisher. That would be a good call.
/QUOTE]

Had a piece of wood go up and land in a bracket for the muffler and light itself on fire one time. Dry summer day in beetle kill country. Buddy behind me saw the smoke pouring out, I never would have noticed it on time.

Shook up a beer and used it for a fire extinguisher!

Ferenc
04-21-2020, 01:35 PM
Micro-Start XP 10 heavy duty jump starter ... just a bit larger / slightly than your cell phone.

browningboy
04-21-2020, 03:06 PM
24 pack of beer on ice...

bensonvalley
04-21-2020, 03:59 PM
Booster pack if you don’t have a kick or pull start; batteries die at the worst times. Tire repair kit with lots of plugs and small compressor. I always secure the ramp to the bumper and ghost ride it down the ramp..can’t do that when going up obviously. In the forest industry the bulk of severe injuries for layout crews and summer students occurs loading and unloading, don’t rush that phase.

REMINGTON JIM
04-21-2020, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=BCBRAD;2167936]I suggest that you change a belt at home at least once before trying it in the field. Then you will know what tools to pack.

And HOW to do it ! I have over the years stopped and Helped several people on changing - installing a NEW belt on Snowmobiles - Never on a Quad Yet - BUT like Brad says it no use having a spare BELT if you have NO idea or the tools to do it ! RJ

UkeeJ
04-21-2020, 05:32 PM
Just got Silky Katanaboy 650 straps to the rack easily looking forward to leaving the chainsaw at home for firewood only now, also have Silky Gomboy 240. The rest depends on distance we plan on traveling from the truck/camp etc. But most common issue are trees across the trail.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-21-2020, 05:37 PM
What I carry in my box on the quad, may be over kill but it all fits in this box and is always on the quad:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tundra-tested-atv-rear-box-0278184p.html#srp

Helmet
Goggles
Shitter paper
pack of wet wipes
10 pairs of rubber gloves squished into a large pill bottle
Sunscreen
Slime pack that has a compressor. Also extra plugs
5l gerry can
14" chain saw
500ml extra chain saw gas in gatoraid bottle
2 ratchet tie straps
9x12 tarp
rag that chain saw sits on
clean hand towel to wipe condensation off machine in morning
24" axe
Roll of duct tape
small folding shovel (one of the surplus military ones) This gets replaced with an take down aluminum avalanche shovel when hunting in November or for spring bears.
about 10 rubber bungees
Small cargo net for the front rack
Tree Strap
Small socket set
Small travel bag with ( roll of electrical tape, snatch block, 12 zipties, screw driver with multiple heads, pliers, 3 open end wrenches for the three sizes on my machine, about 3-4 various steel shackles)
50 Feet of extra cable with hooks on each end
Rain Pants still in package (I think they are still in there)???
6ft cable synch. (Its just 1/4 cable with a loop on each end. Can easily cinch it onto a log or deer with one loop and other slips over trailer ball)
Winch Remote

I think thats everything in the box. Its pretty jam packed but I can still put a 1L water bottle bottle in there if required on hot days. Great idea about the pipe clamps. Can easily fit a bunch of those in the travel bag.

BHB

Nice little list . covers the basics .

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-21-2020, 05:38 PM
I wish we could post pics on on the threads . .you know . be a lot easier than typing everthing out . lol

MRP
04-21-2020, 05:44 PM
I think I have all of the above. If I'm spending the night I like to be comfortable. Plus a two way radio, hip boots for those holes that are deeper than I thought.

knothead
04-21-2020, 09:33 PM
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all76320?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwczmy6H66AIVkxh9Ch3pIA4XEAQYAyAB EgI4x_D_BwE

something like this could work. I haven’t used this particular one, but I’ve seen guys use similar ones on their welders for having their cables on a spool. You could make up a jumper cable with the other side or leave a tail of cable out of it for using regular jumper cables and make another one up with a cig lighter for charging. I’d probably rig up a cig lighter separate though. They come in handy.

Thanks Buster, just what I​was looking for.

TeamGrizzly
04-22-2020, 12:15 AM

I've installed cigarette lighter sockets on my motorcycle like that. You can get lighter sockets from a good marine supply shop. I also found a handlebar mount socket with USB, I think it was at Princess Auto. If you have your quad apart, I would also look at installing a two pole plug on your battery too so you can easily plug in a trickle charger during the off season. Just don't get the cheapest trickler you can find. My cheap CT ones boiled a battery dry.

Mike

Squamch
04-22-2020, 06:34 AM
I've installed cigarette lighter sockets on my motorcycle like that. You can get lighter sockets from a good marine supply shop. I also found a handlebar mount socket with USB, I think it was at Princess Auto. If you have your quad apart, I would also look at installing a two pole plug on your battery too so you can easily plug in a trickle charger during the off season. Just don't get the cheapest trickler you can find. My cheap CT ones boiled a battery dry.

Mike

Running a compressor is asking a lot of a little 12v outlet and wiring. They suck a lot or juice, especially the cheap little crappy ones most guys toss in the quad box. You are better off with alligator clips, or wiring it up to work with the quick connectors.

bighornbob
04-22-2020, 07:21 AM

Mike

my 2013 yamaha Kodiak came with a cigarette lighter adapter factory installed to the side of the handlebars. Can’t see why every machine after that would not have that as stock.

I use it all the time to charge my phone.

bhb

boxhitch
04-22-2020, 09:34 AM
Whether sledding or quadding or boating, we always carry a LOUD signalling device in a handy spot.
usually it is just a Fox40 whistle , three blasts is the universal distress

Good tip on the fire fighting, even a large ziplock will carry water

bcsteve
04-22-2020, 10:51 AM
Your Grizzly should already have a lighter plug on the right fender under the key. My 2012 has one.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-22-2020, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=BCBRAD;2167936]I suggest that you change a belt at home at least once before trying it in the field. Then you will know what tools to pack.

And HOW to do it ! I have over the years stopped and Helped several people on changing - installing a NEW belt on Snowmobiles - Never on a Quad Yet - BUT like Brad says it no use having a spare BELT if you have NO idea or the tools to do it ! RJ

I just changed my first belt the other day.
For those who haven’t, watch at least a couple videos before practicing at home.
First video I watched on my machine, the guy said you need to pull the clutch and have a special tool to do so.
Next video I watched the guy said that it wasn’t necessary.
I easily did it with clutch in place. Easy peasy with a pair of work gloves.
My machine is a 2008 Brute Force.

Just wish I had changed it before it blew apart and made its exit thru the clutch cover. Ouch .
Don’t think my belt sensor was working properly.
SSS

tigrr
04-22-2020, 05:28 PM
CO2 tire inflator that uses CO2 cartridges. That and tire plugs, a 16 pack. Oh and butt wipe.
I drive a Honda so that is all.

Pioneerman
04-22-2020, 05:58 PM
For belts it really depends on what machine you have, some are more prone to wear and need replacing far too often. I have owned a lot of Atv's 18 actually and never once a issue with Yamaha Grizzly belts and I put on 15,000 on each of the 5 I owned one 600 three 660's and a 700. They are known for fantastic belt life and reliability, and were easy to inspect also. I had a Can am 1000 and it was terrible 3 belts in 3500 kms, I might have had a lemon, but will never have another now as I could not trust it. Had a Polaris 570 and the belt did start slipping just loading on trailer, but looked easy to change

Squamch
04-23-2020, 08:08 AM
For belts it really depends on what machine you have, some are more prone to wear and need replacing far too often. I have owned a lot of Atv's 18 actually and never once a issue with Yamaha Grizzly belts and I put on 15,000 on each of the 5 I owned one 600 three 660's and a 700. They are known for fantastic belt life and reliability, and were easy to inspect also. I had a Can am 1000 and it was terrible 3 belts in 3500 kms, I might have had a lemon, but will never have another now as I could not trust it. Had a Polaris 570 and the belt did start slipping just loading on trailer, but looked easy to change

Last year I towed a brand new polaris golf cart out of the bush, less than a year old and he smoked the belt.

REMINGTON JIM
04-23-2020, 08:43 AM
Pioneerman SAYs : Had a Polaris 570 and the belt did start slipping just loading on trailer,but looked easy to change

A man with your experience with Quads and ATVs SHOULD know that is NOT a NORMAL problem with that machine any more then it would be with a Yamaha ! What was the situation - New -Used - Bad Clutch - Overloaded ??? or Just worn out from LOTs of use -Oil Leak onto Belt from crank seal ? so why would you even bother to mention it ! If you think a Yamaha NEVER had a belt slip your a Idiot ! RJ

You are right about one thing in this regard - they are Fairly easy to change ! :D RJ

boxhitch
04-23-2020, 09:25 AM
right on Jimmie
belt problem is often a symptom of clutch condition, might s well do some maintenance while you're in there

tyreguy
04-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Mid 90's - spotted a bull moose off the quad and bailed after it after parking and making a plan (long ways off) chased after him all morning finally cuaght up after lunch.
Returned to my bike, lost my key out of my pocket during the morning chase and really no way to retrace the trail.
20km back, bull moose down............tried to hot wire but i had no clue what i was doing and just blew a fuse. Replaced fuse, took slot screwdriver to ignition switch and broke out the tumbler which was plastic and i had an instant key with the tumbler gone.

Good preparation to know if it ever happens to you. hindsight i always hide the key now but got caught up in the moment and it went into my jacket pocket.

Frango
04-23-2020, 11:22 AM
I own a Honda .They don't make breakdown kits. Silly question.

srupp
04-23-2020, 11:28 AM

Just spewed my coffee..

Thanks made my morning. .
Steven

REMINGTON JIM
04-23-2020, 10:05 PM

Yup ! Pretty Much owned a Honda 350 Rancher from 2001-2016 and it Never seen a repair shop - ONLY ever Maintence ! RJ

MRP
04-24-2020, 06:29 AM
right on Jimmie
belt problem is often a symptom of clutch condition, might s well do some maintenance while you're in there

And not putting it in low range when at slow speeds, going in to a bog hole or to load on a truck. You can smell them belts burning but some refuse to change ranges.

REMINGTON JIM
04-24-2020, 06:34 AM
And not putting it in low range when at slow speeds, going in to a bog hole or to load on a truck. You can smell them belts burning but some refuse to change ranges.

Yes you are correct ! Lack of KNOWLEDGE enters in Riding and Repairs ! RJ

Pioneerman
04-24-2020, 07:50 AM
Pioneerman SAYs : Had a Polaris 570 and the belt did start slipping just loading on trailer,but looked easy to change

A man with your experience with Quads and ATVs SHOULD know that is NOT a NORMAL problem with that machine any more then it would be with a Yamaha ! What was the situation - New -Used - Bad Clutch - Overloaded ??? or Just worn out from LOTs of use -Oil Leak onto Belt from crank seal ? so why would you even bother to mention it ! If you think a Yamaha NEVER had a belt slip your a Idiot ! RJ

You are right about one thing in this regard - they are Fairly easy to change ! :D RJ

Situation was couple months old 570 ranger had 380 kms on it no load what so ever just being gentle and not going fast, , did stop on ramp to check alignment and started off that is when it happened. If there was any excessive circumstances I would have mentioned it and if I was trying to drag a moose up a ramp I would not say it was a machine issue in anyway, that was not the case. Polaris has more belt issues than others in the PAST, I am sure they are improving all the time, they all have to keep getting better. Polaris has a regiment of how to brake in their belt especially when installing a new one, others do not have to do this that is because of their clutch design .If you want to start calling names, I can be just as much of a a$$ as you, I gave my opinion based on decades of riding off road and different style machines. Thought this was about giving information we have or experiences we have had. That is why I said I have never had a issue with Yamaha belts, not that they will never have a problem

https://www.atv.com/blog/2011/08/study-finds-yamaha-atvs-have-best-drivetrain-durability.html

REMINGTON JIM
04-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Your Knowledge of Atvs etc had nothing to do with anything really ! All you were trying to say is Polaris is Not good in a one of situation - The Problem had nothing to do with the brand of ATV it was just a problem that could have happen to any brand using a Belt drive system ! Just tired of you Yammy Guys bad mounting every other brand all the time ! RJ

Pioneerman
04-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Your Knowledge of Atvs etc had nothing to do with anything really ! All you were trying to say is Polaris is Not good in a one of situation - The Problem had nothing to do with the brand of ATV it was just a problem that could have happen to any brand using a Belt drive system ! Just tired of you Yammy Guys bad mounting every other brand all the time ! RJ

I have owned many brands and last three were Arctic cat and Polaris, so not "Yamaha guy" but facts of what happened. and of the 18 I owned more were Hondas and they were all bullet proof back then too

REMINGTON JIM
04-24-2020, 02:52 PM
I have owned many brands and last three were Arctic cat and Polaris, so not "Yamaha guy" but facts of what happened. and of the 18 I owned more were Hondas and they were all bullet proof back then too

Ok ALL Good ! :smile: RJ

http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Frango http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2168694#post2168694)I own a Honda .They don't make breakdown kits. Silly question.

Yup ! Pretty Much owned a Honda 350 Rancher from 2001-2016 and it Never seen a repair shop - ONLY ever Maintence ! RJ

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-25-2020, 03:15 PM

Juat make sure you use a Yammy belt , i got conned into switching mine out on my 2003 660 with 12.000 km and i looked just fine , and then they put a cheap aftermarket one in and it smoked out in the first 1000 km . i put a Genuine Yamaha belt in and its been bulletproof .

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-25-2020, 03:17 PM

I love Honda stuff too . But i bought a Yamaha Grizz 660 new in 2003. so far after 13 000 km it has never left me stranded ..

blackbart
04-25-2020, 07:25 PM
Hiking boots

Downwindtracker2
04-25-2020, 07:43 PM
I pack a fair bit, 3/8 metric socket set, with allenhead sockets. I used the socket set on a friends Yamy in the bush. A trenching shovel and swede saw in a tube. I got the quad stuck in little creek with too steep banks and had to road build out. air compressor and plugs. Chocolate bars. Flashlight, tie wire, zip ties, tape. TP , hand sanitizer, paper towel . The front fender saddle bags have rigging in them. Small chain saw.

crazy ducker
04-25-2020, 08:42 PM
Princess auto had those slime compressor on sale I think it ends tomorrow but they are like 14.99 and man are they small.

Talltimber1
04-26-2020, 07:29 AM
Hiking boots

That's all that is in mine too.

MRP
04-26-2020, 07:49 AM
Jokes aside, there are many other reasons to be well prepared a long way from help. Not only for you but others to. I've help start start others quads, air up tires, clean out a radiator and pull and hack out sticks jammed up in the undercarriage.

Had a friend going down a good peace of road he was on just a couple of days before hit a new washout. Almost died, think he was 5 months in hospital. Yes theres a lot of cuda, shoulda, woulda's we can think of about in this case. But we weren't there. Things happen, be prepared.

Safe riding every one.

Downwindtracker2
04-26-2020, 11:37 AM
Back flips are scary, if you live, it's a lot of hospital time. Roll overs do happen, most guys bail in time. I carry a game hoist block and tackle to wheels down it. I've never had to use it on the quad, but a couple of the guys have came in late and sheepish.

orest.06
07-29-2020, 05:37 PM
75 yr old neighbour flipped an ATV & suffered 42 broken bones plus brain injury 6 weeks ago. Saw him walk from his car to his home yesterday, straight as a ramrod! One tough cookie! Makes Evel Knievel look wimpy! But there was no excuse for no helmet; that was just plain foolish!

dakoda62
07-29-2020, 05:57 PM
Sold the quad, now have a side x side so more room, winch, tow rope, shackles, tire plugs, compressor, jetboil, shovel, chainsaw, tarp, freezedried grub, water, small socket set, first aid kit.

lakelander
07-30-2020, 09:15 AM
Sold the quad, now have a side x side so more room, winch, tow rope, shackles, tire plugs, compressor, jetboil, shovel, chainsaw, tarp, freezedried grub, water, small socket set, first aid kit.

Same here. Sold my Honda Rincon that I had for 12 years - never had any issues. Bought Honda P500 side x side and boy what a difference. Installed a windshield and roof on it and have a small 12V heater that keeps us warm. I just carry a tow strap, plugs, tarp, flashlight, saw, axe, shovel, fire starter material, gas can, gps, compressor, socket set, rope, straps, TP, water bottles, extra knives and first aid kit.

RICKADY
08-17-2020, 03:59 PM
Almost everything above depending on the adventure. Never had to use it but keep one in the boat, truck and quad, signal flare gun, and something to start a fire should you really be stranded.
All makes of quads and sxs are pretty good, just maintain them so you know what your doing if you do encounter problems, keep off the booze and ride/drive within your and your machines abilities.
The most important thing about any trip is getting home!!

Jrax
08-18-2020, 09:07 AM
The first time I read the post I was thinking about fixing the machine when it breaks down, but now I reread the post and thought more about the other stuff in my box. 2 come alongs (the cable kind), an axe, a length of rope or cable(you can cut cable with a hard axe and soft hammer or learn to tie a cable knot), water, first aid kit, shackle, a tarp, gloves, a work vest, and I usually leave my jetboil in there with a couple of meals.

I think about spending the night when I leave gear in there.

Let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll be back. Has anyone read the story about the guy in port Alice who rolled his trike on himself and was stuck under it for a week. Lost his leg and spent quite a bit of time in the hospital.

I’ll mention the quad ramps thing too. I always tie mine off to the bumper, I’ve heard a couple of stories of the ramps slipping off on guys by themselves and having the machine land on them. I know nobody does it, but I definitely do if I’m by myself.

This just happened to me 2 days ago! i quadded out to work and back, loading the quad on a wide ramp on a flat deck on back of truck. Suddenly the quad slipped sideways and i bumped the side rail of the flat deck. I back off the quad but one tire went off the ramp and it flipped over sideways. Luckily i was on my knee on the seat and not sitting and i leapt off the quad. The reason for the slip sideways was that i had a flat tire i didnt notice. So be careful and check tires before loading! It was the back right tire and it caused the quad to slip sideways to the right while loading.

After i jumped off and the quad flipped the ramp also fell off the back. After all this i still didnt tie the ramp to the truck yesterday but i did check the tires.

spare belt, lots and lots of tire plugs, air compressor or pump, mini tool kit, first aid kit, shit tickets in zip loc, zip ties, lighters, firestarter, ratchet strap, couple of bungee cords, half roll of ribbon. Chainsaw if im going far and extra gas.

Downwindtracker2
08-18-2020, 09:36 AM
My buddy bought a side by side so he could take his grandson instead of two up .The kid was getting too big. He found the SxS too wide for trails and much too low with the poor ground clearance. If by the time he did the mods, it would be very expensive. He bought two used Honda quads and a Tracker, and come out a little money ahead. He's good at dealing.

ACE
08-18-2020, 10:14 AM
I have added a fire extinguisher to my box. So far I have owned 2 ATV's and both have caught fire. SSS

What make of quad?
What happened?