PDA

View Full Version : Best moose hunting tip..

srupp
04-20-2020, 09:35 PM
Hmm if I only had 1 tip on moose hunting ?
hmm practice practice practice your moose calling...
Best time to hunt moose is the rut...if you only get laid once a year..be there for THAT time..
Get a KC Caplan 22 inch moose magnum call..fiberglass. .Cabelas"
Use buck expert moose urine along with tampons..aka scent dispenser. .
Moose find the females by listening for the cows calling..that's the first sense..
eyes are 10 inches between...ears are 11 inches each...31..to 33 inches between ears...they can detect a cows call from at least 5 kms. In every direction..
You can't walk that area in a week..nor hunt it in 3 weeks..
Most moose hunts are messed up with too much travel making too much noise and leaving too much human scent.

Practice practice practice your cow calling. .
Start at first light..first call 1/2 volume..the rest of the day as loud as you can..every 15 minutes by your watch. Time it..for a few reasons...
You can't be too loud..
Every 15 minutes.
The better your calling the better your results
Cheers
Srupp

TARCHER
04-20-2020, 09:43 PM
Hmm if I only had 1 tip on moose hunting ?
hmm practice practice practice your moose calling...
Best time to hunt moose is the rut...if you only get laid once a year..be there for THAT time..
Use buck expert moose urine along with tampons..aka scent dispenser. .
Moose find the females by listening for the cows calling..that's the first sense..
eyes are 10 inches between...ears are 11 inches each...31..to 33 inches between ears...they can detect a cows call from at least 5 kms. In every direction..
You can't walk that area in a week..nor hunt it in 3 weeks..
Most moose hunts are messed up with too much travel making too much noise and leaving too much human scent.

Practice practice practice your cow calling. .
Start at first light..first call 1/2 volume..the rest of the day as loud as you can..every 15 minutes by your watch. Time it..for a few reasons...
You can't be too loud..
Every 15 minutes.
Cheers
Srupp
Great advise Steve. Nothing like being there when it all happens. It really is something.

Bustercluck
04-20-2020, 09:54 PM
I do 20 minute intervals by my watch.
Find fresh tracks so you know one is around
Play the wind and set yourself up for your best spot
I think the biggest thing is calling in the same spot the night before until well after dark. Walk out with your headlamp on.

I don’t know if it made a difference, but last year it was really windy and I noticed a few fresh wolf tracks near us, so I started thinking the moose might be a little more spooked to be wandering around, so I bunked down beside a small pond and called a bull right up to the edge of the pond 70 yards away. So what I’m getting at is pay attention to the environment and adapt. Moose tend to go near water when in danger so I went with it. I also set myself up on the south end(I figured the moose was north of me) and actually called with the wind, which doesn’t make much sense, but I figured my call would travel further and be more beneficial than having it muffled. The moose ended up coming from the ne.

Just my take. Maybe I’m full of sh?t. Either way it seems to be working out for me

bruce44
04-20-2020, 10:00 PM
I second practicing moose calls. My brother in law and I hunted this one area for 3 years. He kind of taught me how to hunt. He never called and would just wander around hoping to run into moose. We would either scare it away before we saw it or never run into anything.

The last 2 years I finally understood the importance of calling. I've called in a moose every year. Unfortunately it wasn't legal but at least we saw them.

It's funny how similar to singing it is. Some guys can get it down pat and other guys are tone deaf and you look at them like "are you hearing yourself? That sounds nothing like a moose".

moosinaround
04-20-2020, 10:07 PM
They don’t call me moosinaround for nothing!!!! Moosin

dabber
04-20-2020, 10:21 PM
Good thread Steve.
Even if you don't think Your good at calling try it. You never know.
Be patient, and listen.
Don't over call.
I have found that the bigger bulls come in hot and heavy , but the smaller bulls are alot quieter and you don't even know that they are coming in until they are quite close.

ElectricDyck
04-20-2020, 10:32 PM
We had moose humping around us in camp at night and it was interesting how erratic the cow was...the bulls were just eruhhh! and then smashing of branches, more smashing than calling but the cow was crazy...you really could do anything to imitate her and be confident a cow could sound like that...

Our problem was it was too warm during the day...the bulls would be 2000 ft up on a plateau (too far to pack) then come down at night to fight and hump when we couldn't shoot...we had one practically walk through camp after dark..

ACB
04-20-2020, 11:48 PM
When you hear a cow calling, really listen to the call, they can make some really weird noises and it's really important to try to duplicate them. It's the most fun that you can have moose hunting. I'v got a birch bark call that I made myself, outside bark to the inside. I also use moose scent (urine or synthetic urine) around where I'm calling to try to cover my scent, because you'll never know where their going to come from. Like Srupp says, Practice,practice,practice. Good Luck!

srupp
04-21-2020, 02:21 AM
Hmmm Bustercluck
windy days are tough..it limits the effective range your voice can carry
I Prescout an area noting tracks..but tracks tell you where he was ..not where he is..never disappointed if I don't see tracks. .he will leave tracks when he comes to my call..
Ponds are effective. .the bigger the opening the further your calling carries.

Bruce 44..it's like singing..I like that analogy..seen several guides with pissed poor calling..Hmmm anyone with access to a video camera..seriously. .you never were close..getting paid ? Yikes

Dabber" your don't over call ? Every 15 minutes by the clock..untill a bull grunt is heard..at 5 kms or so it sounds like a hammer hitting a steel grader blade. .no low tones heard. .as the bull gets closer. .you reply when he grunts..closer he gets soften your calls..I even turn and call behind my location..away from the bull..so he comes in but doesn't peg your exact location..
Big bulls..small bulls some sneak in some come barking running in...
Last few years more and more bulls call a couple times and go silent. .untill da da there they are..one explanation may be the proliferation of wolves..constant whugh" whugh" would locate a travelling bull to wolves..advertising moose buffet in isle 3..clean up..
Electricdyck"
Most often bulls up on plateaus are in the active mating cycle..I've seen up to 40 moose in such red light districts. .by active mating time most all fighting is done.
Exception when a bull is challenged by an interloper...that's the only time I use a bull call when I see a bull with a bunch of cows..by using a bull call. .hey bud..I'm coming to kick your ass and steal your females. Cow calling is not effective..he already has a number of cows..he is happy smoking a cigarette..lol

ABC

I don't use moose pee exactly where I'm calling from..don't want them walking right up to me, or concentrating on my location..70 yards from tampon is quite close enough.

Cow calling. .nasal whining drawn out loud .AND the KC CA PL ING moose Horne is worth it.you don't get to be world champion moose caller for nothing..it allows volume. .tone....and nasal resonance.that comes from the chest of a cow that weighs 600 plus pounds.it allows you to be better sounding at greater distances..numerous times called moose out to easily identifiable locations..that when checked were in excess of 5 kms.
Practice allows confidence..your doing the calling correctly..just needs a bull..constantly on the move during rut to come into range..
Cheers
Srupp

Jimbob
04-21-2020, 08:58 AM
My number one tip and absolute rule is:

Wherever you hunted and called in the evening you get back in that same spot the next morning.

I have numerous trail cam picks of bulls showing up to the calling spot the by the next morning. Also, I have spent evening hunts not hearing anything or hearing a distant grunt with darkness coming in then showing up in the same spot next morning and have the bull come right in.

wideopenthrottle
04-21-2020, 10:26 AM
A couple of times over the years I have been lucky enough to work my way into/near swamps/water where a cow was calling........any one having heard a cow calling with multiple bulls around would be amazed at how vocal they are and how "different" they sound from how I was taught to call...I am no moose expert by any stretch (have only shot 3) so just a little observation on my part...cheers

quadrakid
04-21-2020, 11:05 AM
#1 Tip listen to steve rupp

pg83
04-21-2020, 11:29 AM
Srupp, first tip is don't shoot them in water...

IronNoggin
04-21-2020, 12:33 PM

Why Not??

https://i.imgur.com/aVtuK0V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PmzjXqL.jpg

Some really good pointers here Ladz!
Thanks for bring this one up Elmer!

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
04-21-2020, 12:59 PM

No shit...lol..only 1 x...
Yes...very good tip.lol
Srupp

MB_Boy
04-21-2020, 02:31 PM
My Dad who is a Moose Biologist got us doing a good tip.

If you have a bull that you know is out there but not showing himself; pass your call to your partner and let him let out a bawl.

I remember the first time we did that we had a bull out about 1000 yards crossing a bog who came in a bit to investigate but turned around and headed the other way. My Dad passed me the call and I let one out.....he turned on a dime and made a bee line for us. Have had that work a number of times where a slight different pitch makes them rethink their option to hold out.

HappyJack
04-21-2020, 03:19 PM
My number one tip and absolute rule is:

Wherever you hunted and called in the evening you get back in that same spot the next morning.

I have numerous trail cam picks of bulls showing up to the calling spot the by the next morning. Also, I have spent evening hunts not hearing anything or hearing a distant grunt with darkness coming in then showing up in the same spot next morning and have the bull come right in.

Very good tip, not too many guys pick up on that one.

Pocahontas
04-21-2020, 03:19 PM
Cheers
Srupp

Any idea where to get these other than Cabelas? They are all out and you can't order online...

bcsteve
04-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Any idea where to get these other than Cabelas? They are all out and you can't order online...

In stock in Abbotsford. **Oops! Notice it’s only the 18” model.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/3343?productVariantId=10713&gclid=Cj0KCQjws_r0BRCwARIsAMxfDRgsptD4r3qO7c-GqwD0qLlzA8CiEE0gOAe2tpqAbyTxPItpN2gAxTkaAi5sEALw_ wcB

srupp
04-21-2020, 04:10 PM
I have never tried or used the 18 " model..only the 22 inch moose magnum..which I highly recommend. .
HOWEVER the last 6 bulls might disagree..lol...
Srupp

moosinaround
04-21-2020, 04:38 PM
Yup sound advice! Moosin

bcsteve
04-21-2020, 04:47 PM
I have never tried or used the 18 " model..only the 22 inch moose magnum..which I highly recommend. .
HOWEVER the last 6 bulls might disagree..lol...
Srupp
I’ve made a few fiberglass moose calls myself and they work great. Called quite a few moose with them. They make a good scraping noise on the alders too.

albravo2
04-21-2020, 05:01 PM
I’ve made a few fiberglass moose calls myself and they work great. Called quite a few moose with them. They make a good scraping noise on the alders too.

Yeah, I bought one at Srupp's suggestion and noticed when walking through alders that it sounded like scraping so I used it for that purpose for the rest of the trip. My only complaint was the cord would always get wrapped up in the tree unless I had it wound tightly around my hand. We were successful, so now have two shoulderblades that I may carry in years to come.

srupp
04-21-2020, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I bought one at Srupp's suggestion and noticed when walking through alders that it sounded like scraping so I used it for that purpose for the rest of the trip. My only complaint was the cord would always get wrapped up in the tree unless I had it wound tightly around my hand. We were successful, so now have two shoulderblades that I may carry in years to come.

Congrats on success..a scapula or even a 1 gallon milk jug with bottom end cut off works..seldom use it..
What was YOUR opinion on the difference between just voice versus moose magnum horn,?
Cheers and we'll done indeed.
Srupp

two-feet
04-21-2020, 07:45 PM
Dont leave the heart and tongue in the bush. Keep a loaded rifle within reach while gutting. Be physically prepared for a hellish packout if you get a big moose down way back in the bush.

Pocahontas
04-22-2020, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I want to get a fiberglass call for myself as I find I simply cannot carry sound very far at all. No matter how much wind I can get into my lungs it will only carry a few hundred yards. It is quite embarrassing actually, I think it may have something to do with my small frame. I mainly need something to help me with projection, a bit of tone/nasal resonance would be awesome as well.

wideopenthrottle
04-22-2020, 10:23 AM
plug nose for better tones

bcsteve
04-22-2020, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I want to get a fiberglass call for myself as I find I simply cannot carry sound very far at all. No matter how much wind I can get into my lungs it will only carry a few hundred yards. It is quite embarrassing actually, I think it may have something to do with my small frame. I mainly need something to help me with projection, a bit of tone/nasal resonance would be awesome as well.
Remember that moose have much better hearing than humans. Just because your partner might not be able to hear you a past a few hundred yards doesn’t mean a moose can’t.

Pocahontas
04-22-2020, 11:57 AM
Remember that moose have much better hearing than humans. Just because your partner might not be able to hear you a past a few hundred yards doesn’t mean a moose can’t.

This is very true, its just that I have heard my husbands calls come across a valley and watched moose come out of nowhere almost running for him. Then there is me and no matter how hard I push the air out of my lungs it still tends to be quite weak. I will be certain to keep practicing of course, just think that a cone would help.

bcsteve
04-22-2020, 12:27 PM
I’ll post some pictures of the ones I made later if I remember. It’s an easy project.

tigrr
04-22-2020, 04:31 PM
Tip number 25, don't stop shooting till that big sob is down. Tracking a wounded for 2 miles I wanted to kill the shooter. The shot was high because the angle of the shot.

srupp
04-22-2020, 06:25 PM
Tip number 25, don't stop shooting till that big sob is down. Tracking a wounded for 2 miles I wanted to kill the shooter. The shot was high because the angle of the shot.

Ouch !..BEST place to shoot a moose ? right beside a road..uphill side..
2 miles..long way to track..longer to carry..
Srupp

Dannybuoy
04-22-2020, 06:34 PM
This makes me think of some other posts where some suggest .243 , 25-06 and other sub standard moose calibers can and will kill moose BUT be prepared to either track or keep on shootin? Tip ! Use an appropriate caliber !

Arctic Lake
04-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Steven. Have you used or heard the 18” version ? Would you say skip the 18” and go for the 22” version ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

HappyJack
04-22-2020, 07:07 PM
I have an authentic native birch bark moose call tube, it works, but so does voice calling. I've called in all kinds of bulls, when they hang up side step 30 feet and bust up some willows, then call again. That's one old indian trick.

Bustercluck
04-22-2020, 07:18 PM
One more. Get yourself a cordless sawzall and the longest (15”) 2tpi stainless blade you can find.

walks with deer
04-22-2020, 07:55 PM
estwing axe sharpened woth a knife sharpener very quick and clean...

lol somehow with a bull ticket in my pocket i have called in more cows than bulls.lol still got my share but funny.

srupp
04-22-2020, 07:56 PM
Steven. Have you used or heard the 18” version ? Would you say skip the 18” and go for the 22” version ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

I have not heard or used the 18 inch model..sorry
Srupp

bcsteve
04-22-2020, 08:24 PM
Here’s the last two fiberglass calls I made. The big one is 17” long, 7” wide. The smaller one I made to be more packable is 14” long, 6.5” wide. I’ve called bulls with both.

https://i.postimg.cc/SNgDt0gb/9995-B3-A6-4-D88-40-B3-9-BB4-A2302-A6-D91-ED.jpg

srupp
04-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Hmmm impressive builds.the 22 inch KC magnum..has the mouth end opening like your smaller one but longer and flares out.very well done.I don't remember what I paid for mine..but think it was north of $90...just a guess.must have been that or , more because $$$ is the reason I do not use it for raking trees.lol
would love to hear the difference in sound between your wickedly good build and the KC.
Cheers
Srupp

Arctic Lake
04-22-2020, 08:45 PM
If you could it would be good to hear them in a video . They look good !
Arctic Lake

Here’s the last two fiberglass calls I made. The big one is 17” long, 7” wide. The smaller one I made to be more packable is 14” long, 6.5” wide. I’ve called bulls with both.

https://i.postimg.cc/SNgDt0gb/9995-B3-A6-4-D88-40-B3-9-BB4-A2302-A6-D91-ED.jpg

Rampager
04-22-2020, 09:05 PM

What happens if you shoot them on land and they run into the water and die? Shot of @corywilson13's bull shot with much help from Srupp!

https://i.imgur.com/pPKwcK3.jpg

bcsteve
04-22-2020, 09:06 PM
Hmmm impressive builds.the 22 inch KC magnum..has the mouth end opening like your smaller one but longer and flares out.very well done.I don't remember what I paid for mine..but think it was north of $90...just a guess.must have been that or , more because $$$ is the reason I do not use it for raking trees.lol
would love to hear the difference in sound between your wickedly good build and the KC.
Cheers
Srupp
Thanks but they’re super easy to make. A repurposed traffic cone as a mold and a fiberglass kit. Spray the cone with a releasing agent and lay the fiberglass to the thickness you want. Let it dry and trim the extra. The big one is thicker and heavier made with chopped fiberglass mat, you can beat on brushes, trees, scrape on bark without a worry. For the smaller one I used the weaved fiberglass to make it lighter but still as strong. It fits better in my pack.

The bigger one sounds better when scraping bushes but both sound about the same when calling. I did still call two bulls last year with small one so it can’t be that bad.

browningboy
04-22-2020, 11:42 PM
Many itemsyou can use for moose, an old 1 liter carton, highway pilon, Pringle’s can etc, anything that amplifies, moose will come in, just depends on your patience.

The Donald
04-23-2020, 06:49 AM
Book a trip to Newfoundland, especially after seeing the leh

srupp
04-23-2020, 10:41 AM
What happens if you shoot them on land and they run into the water and die? Shot of @corywilson13's bull shot with much help from Srupp!

https://i.imgur.com/pPKwcK3.jpg

Lol yes Corey that's what my last bull did, wheel sideways and rush into 3 feet of water tip over backwards and die..positive was the meat was thoroughly chilled.
Congrats on that bull again.
Steven

sthdslayer
04-23-2020, 04:16 PM
Thanks but they’re super easy to make. A repurposed traffic cone as a mold and a fiberglass kit. Spray the cone with a releasing agent and lay the fiberglass to the thickness you want. Let it dry and trim the extra. The big one is thicker and heavier made with chopped fiberglass mat, you can beat on brushes, trees, scrape on bark without a worry. For the smaller one I used the weaved fiberglass to make it lighter but still as strong. It fits better in my pack.

The bigger one sounds better when scraping bushes but both sound about the same when calling. I did still call two bulls last year with small one so it can’t be that bad.

Very nice how many layers did you do on each call
Thanks Gerry

Rob Chipman
04-23-2020, 04:35 PM
Calling every 15 minutes has worked for me;

Returning to where you called the night before has also worked for me;

Switching up calls between bull and cow has also worked, especially after a bull has come in and is curious, but a little hung up;

Maybe the coolest thing, although I'm not going to recommend it unless you want to take a risk, is to show a bull that's come in a shed. I've done that a few times, and what I do is get a shed, stay behind a tree but then show the shed to the bull. I think that once they see that shed and decide that you're a moose you buy yourself a lot of leeway. With a single shed held to the side of my head and swaying gently I've gotten close enough to a bull that I could have pegged him in the head with a tennis ball (didn't have a tag, so had nothing to lose).

After that first time I did it again when, after calling all evening, a bull turned up in the morning. He caught me by surprise. The wife had the tag, and we had to get to a good place so that she had a good rest for the shot. I swear to God, once I showed the bull the shed and got him thinking we were another moose I put her behind me with her hands on my back, the shed to my head, and we walked between the trees, pretty much in the open, until we got to her preferred shooting site. Worked great. Alternated bull and cow calls once I saw he was big enough to not be scared off by another bull.

BTW, you still have to be careful if you trust the shed to fool them. If they get your scent or you make a bad move they'll bail, and they'll bail quick.

Biggest tip, as someone else said - pay attention to what Srupp says. He knows his business.

pg83
04-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Calling every 15 minutes has worked for me;

Returning to where you called the night before has also worked for me;

Switching up calls between bull and cow has also worked, especially after a bull has come in and is curious, but a little hung up;

Maybe the coolest thing, although I'm not going to recommend it unless you want to take a risk, is to show a bull that's come in a shed. I've done that a few times, and what I do is get a shed, stay behind a tree but then show the shed to the bull. I think that once they see that shed and decide that you're a moose you buy yourself a lot of leeway. With a single shed held to the side of my head and swaying gently I've gotten close enough to a bull that I could have pegged him in the head with a tennis ball (didn't have a tag, so had nothing to lose).

After that first time I did it again when, after calling all evening, a bull turned up in the morning. He caught me by surprise. The wife had the tag, and we had to get to a good place so that she had a good rest for the shot. I swear to God, once I showed the bull the shed and got him thinking we were another moose I put her behind me with her hands on my back, the shed to my head, and we walked between the trees, pretty much in the open, until we got to her preferred shooting site. Worked great. Alternated bull and cow calls once I saw he was big enough to not be scared off by another bull.

BTW, you still have to be careful if you trust the shed to fool them. If they get your scent or you make a bad move they'll bail, and they'll bail quick.

You can use a paddle/oar as well. No offence to moose(it's 2020 after all, so I should cover my tracks), but they just aren't that smart... especially in the rut.

A few years back I caught a bull crossing an opening at 700 yards at first light, moving away from me. I hastily cow called at him despite not being in a good set up(I was on the top third of a hillside full of timber and he was at the far end of the meadow below me). He spun on the spot and bee-lined it for me. I didn't think I would be able to coax him up the hill enough towards me so I bombed down the 70 yards into the meadow. As I broke into the open I saw him staring at me at sub 100 yards. He instantly wheeled away and I let out the most atrocious moose call of my life, honestly it was more of a dead cat sound than anything resembling a moose. Regardless, he stopped in his tracks and spun back towards me broadside. As it was in an any bull LEH area and I like moose meat, I promptly sent some ttsx in his direction. Solid hit. He spun again to leave and I followed up with an equally horrendous call. He stopped again and promptly ate another pill from my 300 win mag and dropped on the spot.

All that to say: I would personally focus more on when and/or where you are hunting than how good and/or loud your call is.

warnniklz
04-23-2020, 05:40 PM
Not really a moose hunter. But two major lessons are:

1 - nothing beats time in the field
2 - rifle never leaves your shoulder

Quesnel Kid
04-23-2020, 08:35 PM
I had the misfortune of having a bad cold on one of our moose hunts. I called in more bears thinking I was a wounded animal then bull moose. Tip....cough candies or throat lozenges having to clear your throat or cough is not very sneaky.

Cordillera
04-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Best tip from an old mentor of ours...learn gutless method. If you are more than a km from the road it’s a lifesaver. Or if you have a really big northern moose. Do this once and you will never go back to packing bone.

two-feet
04-30-2020, 04:39 PM
I went gutless for a while but have went back to gutting and quartering. Four reasons:
I like the bones for bone in roasts, soups, ribs etc
I find boned out meat just ends up getting more contamination due to more surface area
I like the structure of the bones for carrying and hanging.
The bones help conduct and hold a chill in the meat.

Of course, boning can become unavoidable in situations where you need to reduce weight like long pack outs or flying.

Leaseman
05-01-2020, 06:16 AM
I went gutless for a while but have went back to gutting and quartering. Four reasons:
I like the bones for bone in roasts, soups, ribs etc
I find boned out meat just ends up getting more contamination due to more surface area
I like the structure of the bones for carrying and hanging.
The bones help conduct and hold a chill in the meat.

Of course, boning can become unavoidable in situations where you need to reduce weight like long pack outs or flying.

Couldn't have said it better!

Besides, having done this for over 45 years and it has worked very well!

Yes, have had a few long drags, so we got smarter and drags got shorter! 8)

pg83
05-01-2020, 01:45 PM
You can do it gutless and keep the bones on the legs without issue. Neck, ribs, backstraps and tenderloins would all still be boned out. I find this to be the best of both worlds and is my preferred method on the big stuff (elk and moose).