PDA

View Full Version : Does BC want a tag for turkey hunting?

Gateholio
04-16-2020, 11:39 AM
Take the survey here

https://bcwf.bc.ca/wild-turkey-survey/?bblinkid=216448727&bbemailid=20805966&bbejrid=1454514367

wideopenthrottle
04-16-2020, 11:47 AM
did it......

Ride Red
04-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Done.........

Ron.C
04-16-2020, 12:15 PM
done, thanks for sharing Gate.

Bubbacanuck
04-16-2020, 12:27 PM
No to tags lol. Done

Walking Buffalo
04-16-2020, 12:39 PM
So, the purpose of the tag is to gain social licence....

Lol....

Rubs the lotion on its skin....

boilerroom
04-16-2020, 01:21 PM
done, thanks for the info

limit time
04-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Nope.... Nope .... nope....

Night Hawk 3
04-16-2020, 01:47 PM
Done... thanks for posting.

Elkaholic
04-16-2020, 01:59 PM
The NWTF tried for years to get this as well. To try and curb the mass poaching and to help with conservation funds towards turkeys. They were repeatedly told we do not care about the turkeys. Even when they wanted to help ranchers by moving problems birds on their own dime the Gov said no. I cant see it getting put in now.

randymac
04-16-2020, 02:07 PM
This survey appears to be instigated by the BCWF. I don't know why they think we need more tags and regulations. Perhaps they are in Rainforest's back pocket after all. Since my club quit the BCWF a few years ago I have been meaning to buy a direct membership as they were once a great organization of outdoors people working for hunters and fishers. Not so much any more so I wont be rushing to join unless things seriously change.

upperleftcoaster
04-16-2020, 02:19 PM
can anyone describe how the turkey's cause problems for the ranchers and cattle farmers?

i voted for no tags. is over-harvesting and poaching a real issue? the turkey population seems healthy by all reports. if i bag my two birds this year, i will just be honest about it, just like the ducks and geese i can shoot and limit out per day. or grouse....

Gateholio
04-16-2020, 02:25 PM
Yes, it's the BCWF polling it's members to see what the membership wants. Why would asking for your opinion be a bad thing?

warnniklz
04-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Never hunted turkeys. But submited a no for all you non-grizzly hunters that said no to the GB closure

operator jon
04-16-2020, 04:26 PM
Kinda misleading <$8. There's no zero there.

Everett
04-16-2020, 04:36 PM
Kinda misleading <$8. There's no zero there.

Exactly I'm all for non residents needing tags but no tags for residents next thing it will tags for grouse and coyotes.

Modeltwelve
04-16-2020, 05:48 PM
Lip service to do what the hell they want. ie. more hunting restrictions, less opportunity

pg83
04-16-2020, 07:12 PM
Put all tag money directly back into wildlife and you've got a yes from me no questions asked. Until that happens it's a hard no.

HighCountryBC
04-16-2020, 08:01 PM
Lip service to do what the hell they want. ie. more hunting restrictions, less opportunity

Moving towards a tag would make hunting more restrictive and provide less opportunity? It's GOS.....

As Gate said above, BCWF is just polling their members to see what the general opinion is. You'd think people would be happy about that.

Mulehahn
04-16-2020, 11:47 PM
It is a hard no from me. The article clearly says the population is expanding under the current system so I fail to see any conservation concerns requiring more regulation.

When I read the link the thing that stood out most was the requirement of a guide or to be accompanied by a resident. One of the great things about Turkey season is that a friend from anywhere can just pick up an OTC tag and away we go. No months of planning. (Not this year obviously)

Given recent, shall we say, "recommendations" put forth or voted in favor of by members of the BCWF boards from the regions with a turkey season I think some are right to be skeptical. Perhaps the BCWF did learn and is trying to engage members more; I hope so. But it is ok to be skeptical.

charlie_horse
04-17-2020, 06:16 AM
Put all tag money directly back into wildlife and you've got a yes from me no questions asked. Until that happens it's a hard no.

Exactly my stance

Stone Sheep Steve
04-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Yes, it's the BCWF polling it's members to see what the membership wants. Why would asking for your opinion be a bad thing?

Winner winner turkey dinner.

Its funny how people are so misguided about the BCWF. It’s an organization run by its membership.

SSS

Mulehahn
04-17-2020, 09:46 AM
Winner winner turkey dinner.

Its funny how people are so misguided about the BCWF. It’s an organization run by its membership.

SSS

It is run by a select few on regional boards who are supposed to represent the membership at large. Whether they do or not, or whether the average member has a chance of making an impact on the board should they make it is highly debatable.

As far as this goes, it seems the majority of people in this site oppose a turkey tag and so does everyone I know. Good on them for asking, now next!

Rackmastr
04-17-2020, 11:08 AM
In this case its not the BCWF polling its members. It's the BCWF polling anyone who wants to vote.

longrifle
04-17-2020, 11:19 AM
If there was a big game tag requirement for turkeys I do believe it would restrict access for non-residents in that they would need an Accompanied Hunt Permit Holder to take them out turkey hunting...As it sits now they can go on their own with an Unrestricted (non-resident) Hunting License.

'rifle

alpinedust
04-17-2020, 11:44 AM
It is a hard no from me. The article clearly says the population is expanding under the current system so I fail to see any conservation concerns requiring more regulation.

This. I don't see the need for more regulation here

Stone Sheep Steve
04-17-2020, 11:57 AM
In this case its not the BCWF polling its members. It's the BCWF polling anyone who wants to vote.

Even better yet. Anyone who is interested in hunting turkeys can do the survey.

REMINGTON JIM
04-17-2020, 12:12 PM
NO TAG! Next they will want tags for GROUSE too ! Money GRAB ! :twisted: RJ

REMINGTON JIM
04-17-2020, 12:14 PM
Exactly I'm all for non residents needing tags but no tags for residents next thing it will tags for grouse and coyotes.

Exactly ! :mad: RJ

IronNoggin
04-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Let's see here...

On The Rock, wide open season, any time, anywhere basically. No bag limits.

Tags? What the hell for? https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Maybe.jpg

Put my 2 pesos in...

Nog

Stroodle
04-17-2020, 12:55 PM
Done - thanks Gate!

Darksith
04-17-2020, 02:29 PM
I don't see a problem with putting turkeys on a tag. Its about conservation and making sure the CO's can account for animals harvested. It doesn't need to be expensive, $2-4...I see no problem with this. If you can apply for an LEH for something, shouldn't it be on a tag so you only harvest the one?

I have no issues with purchasing tags, the real issue is where that money goes and how it is used. We are doing it wrong in this province...we need to fix that part of it. Putting turkeys on a tag just holds you accountable and I see no problem with that

Krico
04-17-2020, 08:32 PM
Reading the link it seems the C.O. service wants tags, because they don’t trust the word of hunters they check about bag limits. If so, why not ask for tags on wolves, grouse...the list goes on. Based on that, my answer is no.
I do however support limiting non resident access to the resource. So that would make my vote a yes.
I’m torn.

Walking Buffalo
04-17-2020, 09:10 PM

As the proposal stated, this tags would be for claiming to have the "Social Licence" to hunt turkeys.

Did the people at BCWF learn nothing from the Grizzly bear ban?
Why purposefully expand the cause that leads to eliminating hunting opportunity?

Why didn't the BCWF post this themselves in the special forum that HBC so graciously made for them?
Face it hunters, they are just not that into you....

Redthies
04-17-2020, 09:29 PM
Reading the link it seems the C.O. service wants tags, because they don’t trust the word of hunters they check about bag limits. If so, why not ask for tags on wolves, grouse...the list goes on. Based on that, my answer is no.
I do however support limiting non resident access to the resource. So that would make my vote a yes.
I’m torn.

I agree about limiting non-resident hunters. Frankly, non-resident hunters should have to buy tags for ALL species. The money raised could be used for more COs to keep an eye on FN poachers... :lol:

Gateholio
04-18-2020, 04:41 AM
Is the non resident harvest of BC turkey over represented?

Seeker
04-18-2020, 07:01 AM

My thoughts exactly. This province has a piss poor record of investing in wildlife.

Krico
04-18-2020, 09:33 AM
Is the non resident harvest of BC turkey over represented?

Good question. The article you attached seems to suggest that is the case.
As always, having all the facts for both sides would be beneficial.

“With a new species tag, non-resident hunters will require a non-resident tag and will need to utilize a BC resident hunt companion or Guide-Outfitter. This will alleviate the conflict that is currently escalating between residents and non-residents during the spring GOS season”

Gateholio
04-18-2020, 09:36 AM
Yeah, i read that but it's the first time I have heard of an escalating conflict. But I have never hunted turkey in BC and dont' live in a turkey area.

Bugle M In
04-18-2020, 11:50 AM
Done, and thanks for the heads up.

Walking Buffalo
04-18-2020, 03:16 PM
Yeah, i read that but it's the first time I have heard of an escalating conflict. But I have never hunted turkey in BC and dont' live in a turkey area.

Gotta give the BCWF federation credit for promoting that there is a war brewing in the turkey woods, and they will use social licence to save the day.....

boxhitch
04-18-2020, 08:09 PM
Somebody in head office has to shit or get off the pot and make a decision as to whether turkeys are big game, small game, or sched C
NCL and NBL tells me they are pests to be eradicated. BC does not allow or condone releases or translocations, and Gov has stated turkeys are invasive

The science shows that wild turkey is not invasive nor are they a threat to native flora and fauna
There is also science that shows the opposite, along with the urban problems they can create

So the poll should be are we all in or all out with regulating/monitoring/counting/enhancing etc etc

triggerhappy
04-19-2020, 01:06 PM
Let's put our conservation efforts into native species. Turkeys were introduced and are doing just fine. There are lots of them. The bag limits should be upped. I see no reason for a tag. Sounds like a money grab to me.

Gateholio
04-19-2020, 02:19 PM
Gotta give the BCWF federation credit for promoting that there is a war brewing in the turkey woods, and they will use social licence to save the day.....

It's entirely possible there has been some sort of conflict. I'm not sure if there are any outfitters in BC offering turkey hunts, but that could be one point of contention, too.

btridge
04-19-2020, 03:23 PM
It already costs non res $75 compared to bc res $32 to hunt turkey. most of those non res don't go on to hunt anything else in BC. makes for a pretty expensive bird already. The tourism money brought into BC by non res is of benefit to all BC.
In my opinion, making the cost unreasonable would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
There is no shortage of turkeys. the population is growing. Don't change what ain't broke!

Walking Buffalo
04-20-2020, 07:14 AM
It's entirely possible there has been some sort of conflict. I'm not sure if there are any outfitters in BC offering turkey hunts, but that could be one point of contention, too.

Certainly. I'm sure some NR beat a vocal local to a bird.
That potential conflict must be managed better.
No better way than to have GOABC do the babysitting.
The whole concept might have been seeded by GOABC in a effort to replace lost G Bear revenue. ;)