PDA

View Full Version : Is 300 win mag too much gun?

Crixus
04-15-2020, 11:18 AM
I'm a fairly new hunter, I have a couple seasons under my belt. I want one hunting rifle. Good for Moose, black bear, deer. I currently have a savage 30-06. I'm looking to upgrade my rifle a bit, looking for a cerakote finish in 30-06, 7mm rm, or 300 win mag. Really leaning toward the win mag. Is the 300 too much? If I only want 1 hunting rifle, and am hunting all sizes of game in BC? It seems like the way to go.

I stop and talk to other hunters as I pass them, to see how their hunt is going and if they have any good advice. I had one older guy said "Oh you're new to hunting? You don't have a 300 win mag do you? It seems like all the new hunters are using them" as he scoffed at "new hunters" who do this.

I know a well placed shot with all these calibers will do the trick but any opinions out there?

Thanks in advance.

rocksteady
04-15-2020, 11:20 AM
30 06 will kill any beast in BC..

SSG-man
04-15-2020, 11:21 AM
No it's the 300 SWM now.

all the cool kids have one.

04-15-2020, 11:35 AM
I would not buy a 300 win mag. Way too much recoil for most people to shoot well. I’d say get another 30-06, or even a 308, 7-08, 6.5 CM, etc.

fearnodeer
04-15-2020, 11:50 AM
Well as said already the 30/06 is a great cal for sure and will do the job, having said that lot's like a 300 win mag, I myself have a 338 win mag and a 300 Weatherby win mag and love them both, I only stand 5' 6" and do not have a problem with recoil but lot's do, a few people have tried these guns of mine and got the pirate look after, not sure of how old you are or your size but the 30/06 is a gun I wish I would have started with, great for reloading as well.

RBH
04-15-2020, 12:04 PM
Forget the 300 mag, go with the 30-06, or even a 308. If you want 'one gun" invest in a quality firearm, such as a Sako or the cheaper Tikka (latter perhaps with laminated stock to give a bit more weight for recoil reduction) and get a quality scope such as a Leupold 3x9x40 VX2. Don't go off into exotic calibres etc.; the mainstream calibres are mainstream for a reason: they work well. Recoil is no one's friend. All things considered you'll shoot a lower recoiling gun better (and more enjoyably) than you will a higher recoiling gun. Good idea to have one gun with one versatile loading that you know inside out and become an expert with. Great long term investment of your time and money.

weatherby_man
04-15-2020, 12:13 PM
All the calibers you mentioned are good and will down most all game in BC. If you've never shot a 300WM then do that first before you buy. Some people cant handle the recoil, others can without a problem. There a a lot of great calibers to chose from. Firstly though figure out if you naturally flinch with a large mag before you buy one. If you want one and only one gun, I would go with 30-06 of what you listed, but there are so many cals to choose from.

emerson
04-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Shoot someone’s a good bit before you buy one. 30-06 had served me well. Sensible step up would be 338WM. Down would be 6.5CM. 300WM is too close to 30-06 to change results a whole lot. 35Whelan, 9.3x62, 375 H&H or 375Ruger are relatively common steps up. Ammo gets expensive if you don’t reload though. Heavy rifles aren’t much fun to pack though. Light rifles take practice and often some coaching to shoot well though.

adriaticum
04-15-2020, 12:36 PM
Yes it is.
The recoil and the blast from the 300 winmag is enough to make even experienced shooters flinch.
It kills both what's in front and behind the muzzle.

If you are a new hunter you shouldn't be shooting longer than 400 yards for a bunch of years and within that range 300 winmag doesn't do anything better than a .270, or 30-06, or 6.5 creed, or .308.
The only time you need to think about 300 wm is if you are looking to shoot bison or grizzlies.
If you already have a 30/06 and have money burning a hole in your pocket, upgrade your optics, or gear, not the gun.
Or buy more ammo and practice more.

todbartell
04-15-2020, 12:52 PM
get the 300 Mag and a box of shells, should last most guys a decade

robert05
04-15-2020, 01:03 PM
If you are not target shooting go for the 300WM you will not regret it. Use bench rest when sighting in and when you
shoot in the field you will never notice the recoil. I own an X-bolt in 300WM so do have experience with it.

moondog
04-15-2020, 01:04 PM
I have a .300 WM. The rifle is a Winchester Model 70 stainless/synthetic. Fantastic rifle. I chose that calibre as that is what I knew and started with. If I had started with a 30.06 I'd have the same rifle in the 30.06 calibre instead. I shoot 180 grain factory loaded TTSX out of my rifle. Only thing I would like is a 200 grain bullet for that better sectional density. I would say that if you are comfortable with the 30.06, stay with it and get good bullets and optics.

Crixus
04-15-2020, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm 6'3 210. I don't mind recoil at all. Especially if this gun comes with a muzzle brake

mcmullmar
04-15-2020, 01:11 PM
Stay with what you have unless it is not a good shooter. Savage is a good gun, 30-06 is a good caliber for the animals you listed. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket that is LOL

CranePete
04-15-2020, 01:14 PM
Run what ya brung. The 30-06 will do many jobs well, depending upon bullet selection. Better optics, as said, might give more confidence. You could re-stock with a better synthetic or a Boyd’s laminate. There are many paths to take.

IronNoggin
04-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Yes it is.
The recoil and the blast from the 300 winmag is enough to make even experienced shooters flinch.
It kills both what's in front and behind the muzzle.

https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ROFLMAO.gif

The voice of countless years of experience... or perhaps NOT! :lol:

I literally grew up with a 300 Weatherby in my hands.
15 % more recoil than the WinBag.
Flinch? Nope.
Distance shooting? Yep.
By the time I was in my early 20's I was shooting 1,000 yard competitions.
So many rounds went down that rifle's barrel it had to eventually be replaced.

The Odd Six is an excellent all round rifle, and will indeed take everything you'll ever want to in BC.
But if you simply desire another with a little more OOMPH, who is to say you shouldn't?

I would suggest trying on a Buddy's 300 to ensure it fits well with you.
Best way to proceed and it will let you know right pronto if it will work for you...

Cheers,
Nog

Crixus
04-15-2020, 01:27 PM
If you are not target shooting go for the 300WM you will not regret it. Use bench rest when sighting in and when you
shoot in the field you will never notice the recoil. I own an X-bolt in 300WM so do have experience with it.

I'm looking at the x-bolt hells canyon long range, comes with a muzzle brake. So many opinions on here it's great! Lot's of things I haven't taken into consideration.

todbartell
04-15-2020, 01:29 PM
The X-Bolt brake isn't very effective at reducing recoil

cameron0518
04-15-2020, 01:39 PM
It really comes down to shot placement. People can argue calibres all day long. Most guys on here never miss a shot , lose an animal, and can hit a dime from 1000 yards with their calibres. Pick what you want as they all do the trick. If you use a bigger calibre on a little spike, expect to lose more meat in most circumstances. Obviously shot placement can be a major factor there. I use a 7mm Rem mag and have taken deer, elk, moose and bison with it. Get a good quality gun, good optics and enjoy. Having confidence in your firearm and equipment makes a huge difference.

moosinaround
04-15-2020, 01:43 PM
I'm not most guys!! moosin

Mulehahn
04-15-2020, 01:51 PM
First, find a gun that fits you well and recoil becomes much less of a concern. A perfect example is the x-bolt; they, for whatever reason, fit me horribly. Put one in a 308 and it will hit me harder than a Ruger in a 338WM. If the gun fits you then a 300WM is an excellent choice, but is certainty not needed.

moosinaround
04-15-2020, 01:57 PM
300 win mag is a stout recoiling rifle. Saying that, with a muzzle break, they are a pussycat! I have used a 300 win mag nearly 30 yrs, with no muzzle break, and it served me well, resulting in many full freezers for me! You are not under gunned for anything in North America from 0 meters, to 500 meters with a well built bullet and a 300 win mag. It is more than you need for most critters, but good for ALL critters! Moosin

quadrakid
04-15-2020, 02:04 PM
it seems that you get some difference of opinion and it comes down to recoil. Shoot a few times with a .300 win mag. If recoil does not bother you get one. Personally i went from a 30.06 to a .300wsm . Then i went to a .308 which i can shoot all day without flinching.

TimberPig
04-15-2020, 02:10 PM
The X-Bolt brake isn't very effective at reducing recoil
But highly effective at making the gun seem louder with redirecting the muzzle blast.

REMINGTON JIM
04-15-2020, 02:32 PM
Stay with the 30-06 ! jmo RJ

srupp
04-15-2020, 02:38 PM
Hmmm 300 Wm is the one rifle I find unpleasant to shoot..noticeable punch hence I wouldn't get one..one step up...338 winchester magnum more of a push..but overkill for most hunting..I went Sako 85..with a muzzle brake.
i also shoot .270 for 30 years..love it taken pronghorn, deer both whites and mule deer..moose, black bear, Hmmm even a grizzly..

If i was starting over..one rifle..7mm remember mag..Twin brother has used his successfully for over 30 years..
In that company would be 30.06..or .270 ..
Old Indian proverb..beware of the man with just one gun..he probably knows how to shoot it.
I know nothing of the new 6.5 etc or Nosler 28 etc..stick to one that if something happens you can get ammo over the counter in smaller communities.
Good luck
Srupp

Pauly
04-15-2020, 02:48 PM
Hard to beat the 7mm my personal favourite but I also shoot a 300 and an 0/6 love them all but not as much as my 7..... never had recoil issues mine all have brakes on them ... just darn loud lol shoot a few different calibers if you can then go from there

Phila
04-15-2020, 02:50 PM
Forget the 300 mag, go with the 30-06, or even a 308. If you want 'one gun" invest in a quality firearm, such as a Sako or the cheaper Tikka (latter perhaps with laminated stock to give a bit more weight for recoil reduction) and get a quality scope such as a Leupold 3x9x40 VX2. Don't go off into exotic calibres etc.; the mainstream calibres are mainstream for a reason: they work well. Recoil is no one's friend. All things considered you'll shoot a lower recoiling gun better (and more enjoyably) than you will a higher recoiling gun. Good idea to have one gun with one versatile loading that you know inside out and become an expert with. Great
long term investment of your time and money.

Solid advice, well put.

Pauly
04-15-2020, 02:52 PM
Don’t get caught up in all the gun hoopla if you can shoot straight out to 200 all these calibers are good other than that it’s splitting hairs
unless your in the target or long range game

Bugle M In
04-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Yes, for the most part, it is "too much gun" for most game.
Dad last fall took a shot at a MD with a 300 Win Mag, and there wasn't anything left of the shoulders to be honest.

I am not sure why it became so popular, in my opinion, i think it was the fear of being in Grizz Country to be honest in some places of BC.
For most game, a 30/06 was great caliber for things up to Moose.
And, if you wanted an all around gun, for sheep and goat, a 270 Win was great.
Taken lots of elk with it.
Only issue i had was the bullet not going thru and thru at 200+ yard shots on elk, which, if they did take off, blood tracking was really tough then.

I do have a 300 Win Mag, that i did buy for elk specifically, but i find some days, i still just take the 270, its lighter and i have had a lot of success with it.
(superstitious i i guess?).

270, 30/06 or a 308.
The recoil on a win mag "does" make some folks worse at shooting overtime.
They just develop a flinch they never had before if they used the rifles i stated above.
Then they go the 300 mag route, and sure enough, they just don shoot like they did before.
(and they are "big guys", all over 6ft and 200+ pounds)

Then at that point, you have to admit to yourself you have developed a flinch and spend a lot of time "disciplining" yourself at the range to get rid of it.

But, there are folks who shoot a 300 win mag damn well also.
But, really, you dont need it.
Shot placement counts for a lot, and only then does "shock value" come into it.

snipersights
04-15-2020, 04:12 PM
I'm a fairly new hunter, I have a couple seasons under my belt. I want one hunting rifle. Good for Moose, black bear, deer. I currently have a savage 30-06. I'm looking to upgrade my rifle a bit, looking for a cerakote finish in 30-06, 7mm rm, or 300 win mag. Really leaning toward the win mag. Is the 300 too much? If I only want 1 hunting rifle, and am hunting all sizes of game in BC? It seems like the way to go.

I stop and talk to other hunters as I pass them, to see how their hunt is going and if they have any good advice. I had one older guy said "Oh you're new to hunting? You don't have a 300 win mag do you? It seems like all the new hunters are using them" as he scoffed at "new hunters" who do this.

I know a well placed shot with all these calibers will do the trick but any opinions out there?

Thanks in advance.

I hunted island blackbear for years with a 308. I killed quite a few with that gun and most of them didn’t go far. I have also shot them with 12 gauge slugs. At a short distance this works great. Ive shot them with a crossbow that also works great. This year I am shooting 6.5 Creedmoor which I don’t think is enough for moose personally but I don’t have the experience to say that 100%. For deer on the island I always used my 308 as well and Never had any issues or my crossbow. I am planning a missed hunt in August with a group of people I will be taking my 4570 for that hunt because I want something that has enough power to knock it down in one shot without any screwing around, And because there is grizzlies in the area. Honestly a 308 is plenty sufficient for anything on the island unless you want to go a little heavier for elk but like most have said it’s about shot placement. Find something you’re very comfortable with shooting get really good with it and hunt with that. I spent a lot of time practising with my 6.5 Creedmoor this off-season and I am very confident in bear season this year. Also and this is just a personal preference most people don’t do this I always carry a second gun for back up when bear hunting. Usually I carry my rifle and I have my small side-by-side 12 gauge on my back. If not a Bowie knife tomahawk or similar secondhand defence weapon is recommended by me. You never know

04-15-2020, 04:25 PM
I hunted island blackbear for years with a 308. I killed quite a few with that gun and most of them didn’t go far. I have also shot them with 12 gauge slugs. At a short distance this works great. Ive shot them with a crossbow that also works great. This year I am shooting 6.5 Creedmoor which I don’t think is enough for moose personally but I don’t have the experience to say that 100%. For deer on the island I always used my 308 as well and Never had any issues or my crossbow. I am planning a missed hunt in August with a group of people I will be taking my 4570 for that hunt because I want something that has enough power to knock it down in one shot without any screwing around, And because there is grizzlies in the area. Honestly a 308 is plenty sufficient for anything on the island unless you want to go a little heavier for elk but like most have said it’s about shot placement. Find something you’re very comfortable with shooting get really good with it and hunt with that. I spent a lot of time practising with my 6.5 Creedmoor this off-season and I am very confident in bear season this year. Also and this is just a personal preference most people don’t do this I always carry a second gun for back up when bear hunting. Usually I carry my rifle and I have my small side-by-side 12 gauge on my back. If not a Bowie knife tomahawk or similar secondhand defence weapon is recommended by me. You never know

The majority of the animals I’ve killed over the last 35 years have been with a 308. It’s works well. I did shoot a moose last year with a 6.5 Creedmoor. It worked really well. My Creedmoor has become my go-to rifle

REMINGTON JIM
04-15-2020, 04:56 PM
325 : The majority of the animals I’ve killed over the last 35 years have been with a 308. It’s works well. I did shoot a moose last year with a 6.5 Creedmoor. It worked really well. My Creedmoor has become my go-to rifle

OH come on :shock: a little 308 Winny and then to try and make us Believe a PUNY 6.5 creedmoor will kill a moose :roll:! Really 8) RJ

cameron0518
04-15-2020, 05:02 PM
Yes, for the most part, it is "too much gun" for most game.
Dad last fall took a shot at a MD with a 300 Win Mag, and there wasn't anything left of the shoulders to be honest.

I am not sure why it became so popular, in my opinion, i think it was the fear of being in Grizz Country to be honest in some places of BC.
For most game, a 30/06 was great caliber for things up to Moose.
And, if you wanted an all around gun, for sheep and goat, a 270 Win was great.
Taken lots of elk with it.
Only issue i had was the bullet not going thru and thru at 200+ yard shots on elk, which, if they did take off, blood tracking was really tough then.

I do have a 300 Win Mag, that i did buy for elk specifically, but i find some days, i still just take the 270, its lighter and i have had a lot of success with it.
(superstitious i i guess?).

270, 30/06 or a 308.
The recoil on a win mag "does" make some folks worse at shooting overtime.
They just develop a flinch they never had before if they used the rifles i stated above.
Then they go the 300 mag route, and sure enough, they just don shoot like they did before.
(and they are "big guys", all over 6ft and 200+ pounds)

Then at that point, you have to admit to yourself you have developed a flinch and spend a lot of time "disciplining" yourself at the range to get rid of it.

But, there are folks who shoot a 300 win mag damn well also.
But, really, you dont need it.
Shot placement counts for a lot, and only then does "shock value" come into it.

Well stated

RackStar
04-15-2020, 05:21 PM
No point on going from a 06 to a 300 unless it’s the rifle your more after.

Ive had a Tikka lite 300wm that bucked pretty good

now have a kimber 300wsm , the recoil feels on par with a 30-06 but that might be stock design.

sounds like you just want to buy a new rifle !! =)

Useyourfeet
04-15-2020, 05:29 PM
Unless you’re planning to shoot over 300 yards I don’t see the appeal. I shot 300 win mag for a long time and killed quite a few animals with it. I shoot a 308 now, I’ve noticed no difference in real world terminal performance on animals. I also shoot more accurately with less recoil and have less meat loss.

Throwaway
04-15-2020, 05:40 PM
If you can handle a 12ga w/ 3” shells you can handle a 300 mag. That being said unless they open up g bears here again or you’re heading to Africa I don’t really see what you’d need it for. Even if you don’t reload load you can get ‘06 w/ 220gr SPs without too much searching. This is coming from a guy with 3 .30 cal magnums though so... Do as I say not as I do.

srupp
04-15-2020, 05:42 PM
If you can handle a 12ga w/ 3” shells you can handle a 300 mag. That being said unless they open up g bears here again or you’re heading to Africa I don’t really see what you’d need it for. Even if you don’t reload load you can get ‘06 w/ 220gr SPs without too much searching. This is coming from a guy with 3 .30 cal magnums though so... Do as I say not as I do.

Love your honesty..had to laugh out loud
Thank you
Steven

358mag
04-15-2020, 05:47 PM
No it's the 300 SWM now.

all the cool kids have one.
Wrong its the 6.5 creed is the go to kill everything
all the extra extra kool kids have one , just ask them .

bensonvalley
04-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Someone said earlier a .300wm will make a box of shells
last a decade, I’ll second that. I had one for years and hated shooting it, I never had to buy ammo for years. At the risk of following trends I got a 6.5cm, it’s killed a black bear and a moose and I have to say I actually look forward to shooting days at the range.

RBH
04-15-2020, 06:01 PM
Why the 300 win mag? Take a look at the first few polls on this site under Gun Talk, Reloading, etc.
- Best Cartridge? The 30-06 is rated tops for BC hunting by 42% of hunters. No other option even comes close.
- Average shot distance of last 6 animals? 88% say less than 200 yards. Less than 300 yards = 97%.

butcher
04-15-2020, 06:36 PM
Why the 300 win mag? Take a look at the first few polls on this site under Gun Talk, Reloading, etc.
- Best Cartridge? The 30-06 is rated tops for BC hunting by 42% of hunters. No other option even comes close.
- Average shot distance of last 6 animals? 88% say less than 200 yards. Less than 300 yards = 97%.

He’s not wrong. The ‘06 is responsible for a lot of full freezers. But the 300 win mag isn’t exactly a “big magnum” like some on here have said. The recoil is very manageable. You want one, buy it. You can’t kill stuff too dead.

WWBC
04-15-2020, 06:41 PM
.300mag is probably too much gun.
My primary rifle is a 30-06 and I think I’ll be taking my .243 for deer this season. In a light rifle even 30-06 packs a finch inducing kick.

besides, all my shots on game have been sub 50yards so can’t see myself maxing out the range capability’s of the 06.

SSG-man
04-15-2020, 06:43 PM
I've been told all I need is my 223 for deer....

So I sold the 270, 308, 30-06. 7-08.

QUOTE=358mag;2166393]Wrong its the 6.5 creed is the go to kill everything
all the extra extra kool kids have one , just ask them .[/QUOTE]

Night Hawk 3
04-15-2020, 06:52 PM
I'll add to the thoughts on here -

It's better to shoot more, and not less, to become proficient at shooting. Shooting more means keeping it affordable and being able to spend more time at the range.

A 30-06, which was my first "real" hunting rifle (Winchester Model 70 Classic) and I used it a lot, and shot it a lot at the range, reloaded for it and so on. It had some annoying accuracy problems before a hunting trip a bunch of years ago and I couldn't get an appointment with a gunsmith in time to get it re-bedded... so I bought a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 on the recommendation of the old timer (read: very experienced) behind the counter - he had recommended that cartridge to me before, and he recommended the same thing a decade later.

Compared to the 30-06 shooting factory 180 grains, the 6.5x55 shooting (semi-anemic) factory 140 grainers was an absolute pleasure to shoot. Far less recoil, more time on the shooting bench as it was SO much more enjoyable to shoot, and pin-point accurate, and much lighter to carry and so on.

In all honesty, I have barely put single round through my 30-06 since I got it back from the gunsmith some 14 years ago now.

In actual hunting - the 6.5x55 (which shoots more or less the same as a 6.5 Creedmoor or a .260 Rem) did far, far less meat damage to the animals I killed with it, and that alone is very much worth it.

And, the 6.5x55 kills as well or better than the 30-06 in every single case due to the high sectional density of the long bullets and easy to shoot nature of the rifle. I have taken mule deer, moose, cow elk, whitetail deer and so on... most shots tend to be at reasonably close distances, but in a few cases I have reached out to +300-ish yards in open areas.

So, where am I going with all of this?

A 300 Win Mag in may ways just duplicates what your 30-06 already does, and the 30-06 does it with a little less recoil, somewhat less noise, and generally a little more affordability. There is really no good reason to get a 300 Win Mag over what you already have.

I would suggest you do either one or a few of these things:

- if you want more Ooomph out of your 30-06, you can use better constructed bullets/ammo such as Barnes TTSX, LRX, Hornady GMX, or perhaps some of the Nosler offerings like the E-Tip.

- Try handloading. You won't initially save any money, but in time you might - and you can custom tune your rounds and use premium bullets. You can load heavier bullets for bigger, heavier game, or you can load way down to very light bullets for smaller game. The range of bullets and loads for the 30 cal is amazing.

- Move to all-copper bullets in general - they perform amazingly in all cases and you will not have lead contamination of your meat.

- Spend some money on some improved glass - scope, spotting scope, rangefinder, ballistics program

- Purchase a smaller, less costly to shoot rifle in a similar type to the one you shoot now in something like a .223 Rem and spend a lot more time at the range practicing, tracking your shot, following up, learning about ballistics...

- Move down to a smaller cartridge such as the 6.5 CM or a 7-08 Rem - less recoil, noise, weight, plus readily available ammo with lots of variety.

- Or, if you're still so inclined, move up to a cartridge that is actually a decent step up from the 30-06 and get .338 Win Mag - and put a brake and a top notch recoil pad on it.

I currently have and shoot all of the cartridges I'm talking about here.
The 300 Win Mag is a long range target rifle for clear days where I can stretch its legs. It's braked and has a great recoil pad on it.
The 338 Win Mag is my big game, long range rifle. I use it only where I'm expecting to take longer range shots at large game in open areas.
The 6.5s, 7-08 are what I hunt with and carry most of the time.
The .223 is set up for target shooting... love this cartridge and rifle - easy to shoot, affordable, very low recoil.
The 30-06 mostly sits in the cabinet... I keep thinking I'll take it out and shoot it someday soon, maybe I'll actually do that later this week.

NH3

dapesche
04-15-2020, 06:59 PM

Haha. Yes. I never wanted to shoot my 300wm when I had it.... So I sold it.

REMINGTON JIM
04-15-2020, 07:07 PM
I bought a Tikka M658 300 Win mag in BRAND New condition from a Guy who purchased Brand new ! He took it the range and fired i think 9 rounds to line it up - then took it home and put it in the Safe - I bought it 20 years later and it had never left the safe ! Said it KICKED to hard and went on Hunting with his old Parker Hale 30-06 ! So i Sold it too ! :lol: RJ

HappyJack
04-15-2020, 07:13 PM
A 30-06 is sweet, but sweeter yet is a 325 WSM....forget that 300. I'd keep your current 30-06 for deer hunts and use a 325 WSM for moose, elk and bear hunts in the great white north. IMHO

dapesche
04-15-2020, 07:32 PM
I have been hunting 3 years.

First rifle... Tikka 300wm. Hated shooting it and developed a flinch. It was recommended by a couple people as a killing device that could protect you from grizzlies. Seemed reasonable. I sold that rifle the following summer.

2nd rifle... Tikka 6.5x55. Love this thing. I load it with 140gr accubonds and I'm slowly getting out of flinch. I have taken a whitetail, mulie and 6pt elk with this rifle. To get better at shooting I put a heavier scope and stock on it. I'll spend a bunch of time improving my shooting.

3rd rifle... Just purchased a tikka synthetic stainless 308. It will be a lot lighter and I have found trying to track down ammo has been tough. Not every shop had ammo, the accubond is the leader in best factory ammo and there aren't many alternatives and the factory load is underpowered on purpose. I don't reload so I needed an alternative to the 6.5x55 that wasn't heavy on recoil, could still kill an elk and it had a lot of terrific factory ammo options. So I settled on the 308.

From a pretty new hunter to a new hunter I can promise you that the 300wm will not be fun and you'll quickly realize that practicing is more important.

Lots of good advice above. If you get a 30-06, make sure you're not buying a lightweight rifle because it'll still hammer you when you're sitting at a bench.

Having killed a couple medium sized animals and one large animal with a 140gr 6.5x55 I think it's proof you don't need the 300wm to get it done. Just get better at hunting so you can get closer and put yourself in the opportunity to be deadly accurate.

dracb
04-15-2020, 09:23 PM

Thanks in advance.

If you hand load you can easily make that 300 win mag the equivalent of almost any lesser powered 30 caliber. But your 30-06 will never be a 300 win mag. My 308 Norma manglem has masqueraded as a 308 for a few decades.

Pauly
04-15-2020, 09:38 PM
325 : The majority of the animals I’ve killed over the last 35 years have been with a 308. It’s works well. I did shoot a moose last year with a 6.5 Creedmoor. It worked really well. My Creedmoor has become my go-to rifle

OH come on :shock: a little 308 Winny and then to try and make us Believe a PUNY 6.5 creedmoor will kill a moose :roll:! Really 8) RJ
Hey 6.5 isn’t that a kids gun? Or for city slickers lol I hate the 6.5 lol yet others just love it? I certainly wouldn’t shoot a moose with it unless it was a close neck shot!!

IslandWanderer
04-15-2020, 09:42 PM
In my opinion only wimps and people of low discipline develop a flinch. I shoot a .338 wm with zero flinch as any real man should.

whognu
04-15-2020, 09:59 PM
Fun fact

started hunting 40 years ago with a hand me down rem 30-06

soon after got a used ph 7mm, then someone gave me a new win 7mm (his retirement gift back when getting a rifle for 40 years service was ‘normal’ ) and here I am

great rifle, accurate, but call me a pooooosie, The older I get the more I don’t like the recoil and don’t shoot enough to ‘practice’ thru it

If I had to do it again I would have bought one really nice 06 and it would be my
lifetime gun

Good luck

northof49
04-16-2020, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm 6'3 210. I don't mind recoil at all. Especially if this gun comes with a muzzle brake

Grab a Tikka T3x in 300win with detach muzzle brake and thread cap.Can get right from factory now. Replace recoil pad with a Limbsaver. Add a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40 sitting in some Talley lightweights and you will have a nice versatile setup for what you need. The Limbsaver makes a big difference and just suck it into shoulder well and you will be golden. The brake is nice option with ear plugs if shooting longer distances. If still hunting the bush or hiking around hunt with the brake off as typically won’t have time to put in the ear plugs.....change in POI not signif different at ranges under 100yds anyway. Bipod and brake for longer shots. Neither of my 300s are fluted superlites as that wasnt an option at the time. Both shoot nicely. Same setup in 7mag is a nice option as well. If go 7mag go with fluted barrel

hassan
04-16-2020, 01:54 AM
TiKka t3 300win mag will take down any animal in Canada .

338win mag
04-16-2020, 05:58 AM
After the 22's etc...my first rifle was a 300win. I used it for a long time and I still have it and use it or even more rifle if I'm Moose hunting. You can hunt big or you can handload for deer etc.
I would take the advice of most other's here though and go for "less gun" to start then go for the bigger, unless your going to get a "good deal" which is how and why I bought mine.
My 300 is real heavy and has less recoil than my favored 30-06 husqvarna.
Any rifle that you don't enjoy shooting is too much gun imo...if you can put bullets into approx 1" group then its not to much gun.

Grumpa Joe
04-16-2020, 08:12 AM
Have or had 223REM, 243WIN. 6.5CM, 7mm08WIN, 7mmRM, 270WIN, 308WIN, 7.62x39Russian, 30-30WIN, 300WM, 300WSM, 325WSM, 35REM. Have never owned a 30-06 for some reason. Obviously a capable and effective round.

Of all my calibers the 6.5CM, 7mm08Win and the 308WIN are the ones that come out of the safe most often. All are capable of taking every game animal in BC, save maybe bison or grizzly. For all the haters, the 6.5 has been used for over a century by Scandinavians and has literally taken tens of thousands of moose. The benefit is lower recoil, which makes the rifle easier to shoot and shoot well. I'm not saying that larger more powerful calibers can't be shot well, but IMO takes more proficiency. Friend and I both shot our moose with the 6.5CM last Fall and as far as I can tell, checking my freezer, they stayed dead. Mine, 165yds with a 156gr RN, staggered 10yards and dropped.

Don't feel compelled to get a more powerful caliber just to prove that you pee standing up.

Ltbullken
04-16-2020, 08:27 AM
I think so (IMHO), but an animal won't know the difference. The only challenge with heavy magnums is being to shoot them well. There is nothing that a 300mag can do that other cartridges can't. If you're concerned about bears, a 30-06 with a stout bullet and load is capable bear medicine (I took a griz with my -06). But other calibres with mono bullets give some bear deterrent as well.

Pauly
04-16-2020, 09:01 AM
Accuracy is of the most importance regardless of caliber. I’ve shot many a deer with my .223 under 100 yards and standing of course. All joking aside 6.5 is a capable round. If you decide to reload don’t load for max muzzle velocity load for accuracy it makes no sense to give up accuracy for speed. My 7mm is three grains under max load and that’s where it clover leafs at the range. Not much mention of the old 303 British? Shot a lot of moose and deer with that in my younger years .. definitely a classic round. Anyone here still hunt with 303?

Ajsawden
04-16-2020, 09:13 AM
If you think you want one, get one. They are almost as easy to sell as they are to buy. Especially if you find you don't like it.

Fella
04-16-2020, 09:19 AM
Try shooting someone’s 300wm and see if you like it. .30-06 is enough gun for me, I load mine with Barnes ammo. I’ve killed moose and elk with it no problem.

SSG-man
04-16-2020, 09:21 AM
One plus is there seems to be lots of used 300 mags for sale.

emerson
04-16-2020, 10:13 AM
A limb saver recoil pad absolutely changes the personality of a rife, especially if the stock was a little too short before. I use the Nitro pads and do not sand to fit. Soft, larger area, longer LOP, makes light rifles sweet again. With a brake, like a fantasy come true. Like saying you don’t like food because you lived out of a garbage can, not all rifles and especially stocks are created equal.

ACB
04-16-2020, 10:48 AM
First, find a gun that fits you well and recoil becomes much less of a concern. A perfect example is the x-bolt; they, for whatever reason, fit me horribly. Put one in a 308 and it will hit me harder than a Ruger in a 338WM. If the gun fits you then a 300WM is an excellent choice, but is certainty not needed.
I have 2 308's and a Ruger m77 2 in 338, the 338, I sight it in (usually 4 shots I haven't touched the scope in years) then I put it away, then I shoot the 308's all day. That said I have a 300WM in a Ruger M77, the day I bought that gun my 308's started to collect cobwebs. I'v hunted that gun over 35 yrs., it's my go to gun, I love shooting it, it's very accurate, and I don't find the recoil bad at all. I only shoot 180gr. Nosler Partition Spitzers. It's been Crony at just over 3100 Ft/sec. I personaly think the 300wm is one of the most versatile caliber's out there. But that said as others here have said that they have shot all North American game with 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm. It really comes down to bullet placement, if something isn't shot well it don't matter what you shot it with, you could be shooting a 416 Jeffery's and it wouldn't matter if the shot isn't good.

Bugle M In
04-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Grab a Tikka T3x in 300win with detach muzzle brake and thread cap.Can get right from factory now. Replace recoil pad with a Limbsaver. Add a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40 sitting in some Talley lightweights and you will have a nice versatile setup for what you need. The Limbsaver makes a big difference and just suck it into shoulder well and you will be golden. The brake is nice option with ear plugs if shooting longer distances. If still hunting the bush or hiking around hunt with the brake off as typically won’t have time to put in the ear plugs.....change in POI not signif different at ranges under 100yds anyway. Bipod and brake for longer shots. Neither of my 300s are fluted superlites as that wasnt an option at the time. Both shoot nicely. Same setup in 7mag is a nice option as well. If go 7mag go with fluted barrel

Interesting.

The 3 guys I hunt with, all have the tikka 300 w/m.
2 are 6 ft+ and over 200 pounds, and the other is 6 ft + and probably near 300 pounds.

They like the tikka due to its weight, being light.
BUT, 2 of them have had to add all sorts of stuff like you stated, to shoot them comfortably.
They complained a lot about the rifle due to being light and the recoil at the range and the more they shot, the worse they got.
The 3rd guy suffers from too much buck fever, so hard to say about his performance?

So. you buy a Tikka, but then have to spend extra bucks from the sounds of it.
Meanwhile, I picked up a used, brand new, no shots fired, 300 Win Mag Weatherby for less then half its retail price with mounts.
I have no issues shooting it, and is probably due to the fact that the barrel sits on a fairly heavy stock.
And thus, tames the recoil.

BUT, it isn't a lot of fun hiking that thing around all day!
If on the mtn bike hunting elk, and sits in the scabbard, it comes along.
If hiking all day, resting on my shoulder, it stays at camp and I take the "husky ' 270 for a walk.

Just something else to think about when folks go and purchase a rifle.
You have to also consider:
"What else do I have to spend on it"?? before I can shoot it.

northof49
04-16-2020, 12:51 PM
^^^^no extra bucks.....can get T3x retail with brake, muzzle cap, fluted. The Limbsaver pad is cheap and simple screw on. Myself I have no issue whatsoever with just Limbsaver pad and no brake as far as recoil on the T3 goes but I’m used to shooting 300, 338 etc for many years.

Pauly
04-16-2020, 01:18 PM
^^^^no extra bucks.....can get T3x retail with brake, muzzle cap, fluted. The Limbsaver pad is cheap and simple screw on. Myself I have no issue whatsoever with just Limbsaver pad and no brake as far as recoil on the T3 goes but I’m used to shooting 300, 338 etc for many years.
My t3x is awesome I just put a brake on it and nothing more don’t even notice the recoil!

Jagermeister
04-16-2020, 01:49 PM
I like the 30.06, l like the 300WM, like the 338WM too. I have owned all three at various times.
Of the 300WMags, I owned 4, three at one time along
with a 30.06.
I was out hunting one time with an in-law. It was a warm day and the game was not moving. We were on the the hillside slightly above a small lake. The far side of the lake was bordered by a steep cliff which we determined to be a good backstop because the cliff was right at the water.
we picked a log in the water on the side as the target and a took a shot from each rifle. Both rifles were zeroed at 200 yards. Of course the log was at
a considerable greater distance and we just held the crosshairs on target. The shots were hitting the water. What surprised me was the shots from the 300WM were hitting the water well beyond the the 30.06. The ammunition was Winchester 180 PSP in each caliber.
Rifle balance is an important consideration in rifle selection.

REMINGTON JIM
04-16-2020, 02:15 PM
My t3x is awesome I just put a brake on it and nothing more don’t even notice the recoil!

Pauly Who did the installation of the brake ? what BRAND - maker is the brake ? :smile: RJ

xlcc
04-16-2020, 02:41 PM
Nothing wrong with the 300s,they do the job.I don't care for them and have guided lots of hunters using 300s.
Personally I like lighter calibers such as a .308.Most are in short actions.I like 20'' barrels as they are quick to get into action and swing nice.
I shoot lots out to 500 yds for practice and load my own shells.Loading your own is fun and satisfying but not cheaper 'cause you'll shoot more.
I hate the noise from brakes.Don't even like being around them.Muzzle blast is very hard on your hearing.
I'd say stick with your '06 if you like it and put a top quality scope on.If you don't really like your '06 then try shooting your buddies pipe and buy a rifle that feels good in your hands and comes up nice to your shoulder and lines up well for your eye.
In all the years that I have hunted and killed game most shots are around 100 yards or so.All you have to do is put the bullet in the correct spot and down they go.
I like to call game to me.It is nice to be up close and personal.If I can see the colour of their eyes then I did everything right.
Best of luck to you.

Pauly
04-16-2020, 02:54 PM
I can’t say it might give me identification away lol
I had it done in the loops by a local gun smith ... Jennings.. does great work

hawk-i
04-16-2020, 03:06 PM
This isn't my comment, I got it from another site, for those that feel the 300WM has to much recoil "you can always put a maxi-pad under your bra strap"...:):p

Pauly
04-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Two if your from the city lol

beaverhunter69
04-16-2020, 04:09 PM
My t3 in .30-06 is light, great for hunting, comfortable to sit at the bench and put a box of shells through it? No. A .300 is going to be just as bad if not way worse. Doesn't help that the stock recoil pad is a hockey puck. Sure the .30-06 works for everything if I do my part. But variety is the spice of life, I have different guns for different jobs, I have the '06 setup for deer and black bear with 150 grain pills, I usually don't poke much past 200 yards with it.

I recently picked up a .300 wind bag and the plan is to set it up to do some long range work for moose. With the extra umph of the .300 you can shoot further and flatter. I purposely picked up a heavier gun with a heavy barrel for both recoil and having a more steady platform. I personally find heavy guns are easier to hold steady especially for shooting far targets. At 9lbs I don't feel it's super heavy nor super light, it might be a gun that comes on the atv and the tikka stays as the back packing rifle. It's nice to have options.

As far as too much gun the .300 is going to push 180 grain bullets as quick as the '06 pushes 150's. Is a critter within 300 yards going to notice? No. The .300 really shines past 300 yards. But if you are like me and want to have different guns and setups for different animals/terrain and situations go for it.

BigSlapper
04-16-2020, 05:13 PM
I would not buy a 300 win mag. Way too much recoil for most people to shoot well. I’d say get another 30-06, or even a 308, 7-08, 6.5 CM, etc.

Exactly what 325 says .... 30-06, 308, 7-08 and the 6.5 CM will cover all your needs without beating the b-jesus out of your shoulder. I would also throw the .270 in as well.

hawk-i
04-16-2020, 05:27 PM
recoil table link https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

SMH1990
04-16-2020, 06:08 PM
I’m no professional hunter , not a ballistic freak either. My limited experience opinion is Caliber is an important part of the equation but not the most important . #1 accuracy, #2 bullet construction #3 caliber. Take it for what it’s worth. People used to kill 900lb pissy mountain grizzlies with lead balls at a rate of 1 shot per 2-3 minutes . Makes a guy think ,no?

04-16-2020, 06:12 PM
I just bought to 300 to replace my 3006. I killed a goat at 420 last year with the 30-06. It was the absolute max limit for my shooting abilities due to the drop and my equipment. The only reason I switched was to try and gain a little more reach for my alpine hunting. A 300 will accentuate flaws in your shooting if don’t have a solid technique down pat.

r106
04-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Is a 300 to much gun? No but imho there are better options to cover 90% of what it can do. 6.5 creed, 270, 280, 7-08, 308, 30-06. For my needs I would choose anyone of those over a 300 wind bag

Arctic Lake
04-16-2020, 07:12 PM
I don’t care for the Macho attitude I find in some guys .You know the type ,chest thumpers ! Hey , if you can do more than someone else good for you ! If you try and do your best good on ya , that’s admirable ! My first rifle is a Remington 700 Custom wood stock 30.06 with a factory so called recoil pad ,it is hard as hell ,shoot 180 grainer’ out of it . After a box of shells through that puppy I have a sore shoulder !
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
04-16-2020, 07:30 PM
I shot 300-338- 375-45-70 450- magnums for years - I like the MILDER cartridges and lighter rifles now in my older years ! RJ

Pauly
04-16-2020, 08:38 PM
I shot 300-338- 375-45-70 (tel:300-338- 375-45-70) 450- magnums for years - I like the MILDER cartridges and lighter rifles now in my older years ! RJ
Jennings in Kamloops did my break did a fantastic job

bc7mm
04-16-2020, 08:48 PM
Shot a lot of critters in the last 50 years or so. Have used everything from a 243 to a 375. I shoot a 300 now but honestly there isn’t one of those animals that I couldn’t have easily taken with a 308, 30-06, or a 7-08 for that matter.

REMINGTON JIM
04-16-2020, 10:42 PM
Jennings in Kamloops did my break did a fantastic job

I BET Dave won't admit he knows you ! :grin: lol RJ

Pauly
04-16-2020, 11:18 PM
I BET Dave won't admit he knows you ! :grin: lol RJ
Lol probably not

Weatherby Fan
04-17-2020, 06:28 AM
You have a 30-06 which will kill anything in BC, chances are your going to want to shoot more and long range so get yourself a 6.5 PRC, this will serve you well with less recoil and great for target shooting at long range.......

If you want a rifle to sit in the gun safe that you won’t enjoy shooting get the 300 win mag, If you must have one have a removable brake installed.

popeye
04-17-2020, 08:49 AM
My father has hunted Deer/Moose/Elk/Bear with his 300WM for 50+ years...traded his 30-30 in for it, which he felt was too small for an all purpose gun. I only carry a 300WM because its what my father always used. I really knew nothing else.

He`s got a scar behind his right eyebrow, from not holding to his shoulder tight enough. I always remember that before I squeeze the trigger. He also had a run in with a grizzly once, which dragged his hanging deer away...another reason I like to carry a 300WM.

I love the 300WM, but I think its for sentimental reasons.

But, I also think the 300WM is too big a gun for deer.

I bought another 300WM here last fall, which I thought was a great deal. And, came with some smaller 160 grain bullets, which I am very curious to try on deer.

Bugle M In
04-17-2020, 10:46 AM

Okay.

I think the one friend had Tungsten put into the butt by a gunsmith (something like that?), plus a better recoil pad.
None of them have the brake.

Just wanted to point out to those folks looking at calibres like 300 WM's that you might like the rifle, or some of them,
because they are "light weight" to only find out, "they are too light weight" when you shoot it.
Which then sets them off in having to "add to the purchase" to make it a rifle they enjoy shooting at the range.

Remember, when hunting, and the "excitement/adrenaline" kicks in, most folks can shoot 300WMs no problem, and don't really
feel it "in the moment".
But, at the range, its a different story.
And at the range, is where one either develops "great habits" or "poor habits"!

I have watched a couple of these guys being decent shooters, not awesome, but good.
Only to develop a flinch with their 300 WM's and now have "no confidence" it seems when they shoot.
They go to the range, and there groups get bigger and bigger.

On the other hand, I take my 270, and it gets tighter and tighter at the range.

As for my 300WM and my destroyed shoulder, I shot it to make sure impact point is correct, and as soon as it is, I put it away.
Then go back to the 270, to practice "all day long" if I want.
If someone shoots a lot, then yes, they certainly can control it, as it is a great caliber (300WM).
But for most, it can become their achilles heal, and make them worse.
And as the OP asked, lots of lighter recoiling rifles out there that will suffice for all game in BC.

04-17-2020, 11:13 AM
To me, it's simple. The only way to develop and maintain proficient shooting skills, is to do a lot of shooting. Most people won't be able to comfortably shoot a 300 WM in a hunting-weight rifle. Many will even dread the annual three or four shot sight-in. Something like 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08 can be comfortably shot by most people, allowing them to develop decent shooting skills.

miner_luke
04-17-2020, 12:46 PM
If you want to try a 300 win mag I say go for it, after all it shoots the exact same bullets just a couple hundred fps faster than the 30-06, really not that big of deal when you think about it. I really do believe we psych ourselves out way too much with recoil. Nobody ever died from recoil shooting a 300 mag of any stripe.

The only thing between you (or me) and profficency with any rifle is simply practice and a very close second is gun fit. If the gun feels comfortable to you then don't be a cheapskate, commit to buying a case (10 boxes of 20) of some Federal Blue box 150 gr loads (or whatever else similiar you can get for cheaper) and then just shoot the whole case of ammo over the summer. If you hate the thing after 200 rounds then at least you will know what you hated about that rifle and change it for the next one you buy. But I would be willing to bet that before you got half way through that case of ammo you would be shocked to discover that you may actually like to shoot it and its no big deal. If you are thinking of getting an X Bolt which is a pretty lighweight hunting rifle, then just hang on tight to it on the bench with both hands and teach yourself to follow through on the recoil.

If you are still humming and hawing between the good ol' 30-06 and the 300, you can always split the difference and get a 7mm Remington Mag, the most perfect big game hunting rifle cartridge created ;) the Big Seven shoots flatter than a 270, hits like a 300 and has recoils like a 3006, and you can get it and ammo anywhere, whats not to like?

bruteforce17
04-17-2020, 01:40 PM
The recoil of a 300 win mag is the same as any large caliber rifle. I have one in an xbolt which is a great rifle and my 270 WSM sako kicks way harder. If you can't handle a little recoil then shoot a .243.

Darksith
04-17-2020, 02:23 PM
I own a lot of guns, the gun I constantly pull out for hunting is my .325wsm. Its lighter than a 300, delivers more energy with a 200g bullet, it doesn't wreck your shoulder and it also has better ballistics for the 200g bullet than a .338. Other than that, I would probably buy something like a 28 nosler or a 6.5 PRC if you can afford those rifles. Fun to shoot, great ballistics and enough stopping power for whatever you want to hunt. I would never buy a .300wm, I would buy a .300wsm as it is lighter than the .300, easier to shoot etc etc, but if your gonna buy that, other than ammo availability you might as well buy a .325wsm. There are lots of options out there, you don't need so much powder behind your bullet...there are way more efficient rifles than the .300wm

adriaticum
04-17-2020, 04:13 PM
I own a lot of guns, the gun I constantly pull out for hunting is my .325wsm. Its lighter than a 300, delivers more energy with a 200g bullet, it doesn't wreck your shoulder and it also has better ballistics for the 200g bullet than a .338. Other than that, I would probably buy something like a 28 nosler or a 6.5 PRC if you can afford those rifles. Fun to shoot, great ballistics and enough stopping power for whatever you want to hunt. I would never buy a .300wm, I would buy a .300wsm as it is lighter than the .300, easier to shoot etc etc, but if your gonna buy that, other than ammo availability you might as well buy a .325wsm. There are lots of options out there, you don't need so much powder behind your bullet...there are way more efficient rifles than the .300wm

But Pamela Anderson doesn't like short magnums...

Redthies
04-17-2020, 09:37 PM

Thanks in advance.

Based on the number of 300 WM and WSM rifles for sale in the classified section here, it’s too much for quite a few people. Or not enough?

I’m one of the few here who thinks 7-08 is a great caliber. It’ll take anything I care to take on. Almost exactly the same down range energy as .308, with a better BC a much flatter trajectory and +/- 20% less recoil. At least that is what the tables I’ve read say. But I’m usually packing a .30-30, .357 or .45-70 Carbine anyway, so who cares what I think...

KodiakHntr
04-17-2020, 10:08 PM
Based on the number of 300 WM and WSM rifles for sale in the classified section here, it’s too much for quite a few people. Or not enough?

I’m one of the few here who thinks 7-08 is a great caliber. It’ll take anything I care to take on. Almost exactly the same down range energy as .308, with a better BC a much flatter trajectory and +/- 20% less recoil. At least that is what the tables I’ve read say. But I’m usually packing a .30-30, .357 or .45-70 Carbine anyway, so who cares what I think...

I don't disagree with that, other than the 7/08 is a cartridge not a caliber....

If I was a one gun guy I could easily hunt everything in BC with a 7/08 Kimber Montana and not feel undergunned for anything at all.

Jagermeister
04-18-2020, 01:22 AM
In post #68 of this thread, I stated that, "Of the 300 Win Mags, I owned 4, three at one time along " The first 3 300WM consisted of a BSA Monarch CF2, a custom P17 and a Ruger 77. The nicest to shoot of these 3 was the BSA, the worst, Ruger. Dam thing was too light on the front end and the recoil would lift instead of coming straight back. Eventually, all three found new owners but I was somewhat regretful of disposing of the BSA.
Thought that I would like another 30.06 since I had disposed of mine. I was looking for a 30.06 in in a CZ Medium Lux and the shopkeeper said they had a special on CZ Medium Lux in 300 WM. So I bought one. Came with the Bavarian stock or hogsback as the Americans call it. Regardless, there is a reason the Germans use them and it might have something to do with recoil because I can say that I can easily shoot a box of shells or a few more unlike the others where once you shot a dozen shots you were done for the day and I am much older now..
Here’s a link to enlighten you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Winchester_Magnum

pro 111
04-18-2020, 06:43 PM
300 win mag is awesome for everything in BC. One rifle in 300wm and thats all you will ever need. I use mine on the blacktails here . Your gun can never be too much gun. But you can hunt with a gun that is not enough.
my opinion anyway.

Rattler
04-18-2020, 06:53 PM
I have 300 win mag and would not recommend it for new hunters. The recoil is significant and most new hunters will have a difficult time shooting it well. I would go with 308 or the 06 which have significantly less recoil and can knock down anything in BC.

REMINGTON JIM
04-18-2020, 06:56 PM
I have 300 win mag and would not recommend it for new hunters. The recoil is significant and most new hunters will have a difficult time shooting it well. I would go with 308 or the 06 which have significantly less recoil and can knock down anything in BC.

Finally a HONEST poster Cheers to you Buddy ! :smile: RJ

604Stalker
04-18-2020, 07:15 PM
Personally I own a xbolt 300wm and have caught flack f4om a bunch of people about my "big" rifle .. but also have tags punched to show for it and wouldn't want to trade it. That being said it can be alot of gun but a 180grain barnes at 2950fps is no joke and leaves a nice drain hole. Try to shoot a few rifles before you buy if its an option but I know now from experience that an elk or moose may stand up after some of the other go to's hit it with a 300 and its DEAD. You will knock them down to stay.

Fella
04-18-2020, 07:20 PM
It’s all about shot placement anyways right guys?

REMINGTON JIM
04-18-2020, 07:27 PM
Well as said already the 30/06 is a great cal for sure and will do the job, having said that lot's like a 300 win mag, I myself have a 338 win mag and a 300 Weatherby win mag and love them both, I only stand 5' 6" and do not have a problem with recoil but lot's do, a few people have tried these guns of mine and got the pirate look after, not sure of how old you are or your size but the 30/06 is a gun I wish I would have started with, great for reloading as well.

Yea 5.6 SQUARED ! a 458 Lott couldn't knock you over ! LOL :grin: RJ

REMINGTON JIM
04-18-2020, 07:36 PM
In my opinion only wimps and people of low discipline develop a flinch. I shoot a .338 wm with zero flinch as any real man should.

There you go Trolling and Lieing Again ! :wink: Hows things with you and Horgy going ? being over for dinner lately ? Stay out from under the table if you can ! :lol: RJ

KodiakHntr
04-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Try to shoot a few rifles before you buy if its an option but I know now from experience that an elk or moose may stand up after some of the other go to's hit it with a 300 and its DEAD. You will knock them down to stay.

Well, after you shoot a few more of them maybe you'll find that there are no absolutes when it comes to elk and what happens when they are shot, regardless of cartridge used. Sometimes they fall down dead right there, and sometimes they don't.

Jagermeister
04-18-2020, 11:00 PM
I forgot to mention it this time so I mention it now. There is a huge difference in felt recoil when the rifle has the correct Length Of Pull. Believe me, it’s the difference between night and day. And I recommend the 300wm if that’s what you want.

btridge
04-19-2020, 10:57 AM
Well, after you shoot a few more of them maybe you'll find that there are no absolutes when it comes to elk and what happens when they are shot, regardless of cartridge used. Sometimes they fall down dead right there, and sometimes they don't.

I agree with KodiakHtr and I will add,
If you hunt long enough and shoot enough critters, YOU are going to have a bad day. A 300 WM is not a miracle cartridge but it can be VERY effective if you do your part. I fear that alot of critters are lost by people that pick up a magnum rifle and go out hunting with the thought that it is one and done , this is not reallity.
My go to rifle is a Ruger 300WM , it fits me , I shoot it very well, I trust it and my ability with it. When I need to fill the freezer, it is the rifle I pick up (many to choose from). I have never felt over or under gunned hunting Antelope to Grizzly. I like 300WM enough that I recently completed a new custom in this cartridge...Having said this, I am one of those people that feel recoil starts at 40 cal.. If your recoil sensitive, 300WM may not be for you.

Bugle M In
04-19-2020, 11:21 AM
Yup, you can hit them bang on, and they still go for a decent jaunt.
Other times they drop like a rock.
A bull that is revved up, bugling away, comin in hard, can be hard to knock down.
Another bull just being curious, and is dead on the spot.

Like I said, a lighter caliber rifle, with less recoil can make a hunter much more accurate then with a rifle that subconsciously scares
them.
Only thing is a smaller caliber may not have enough guts to push thru and thru on a elk or moose, at a "longish range", where a
300 WM "will"!

But, now with the full copper bullets like Barnes, it will be interesting to switch over to that and compare on "passing thru".
Mind you, I have tried the Nosler partitions in the 270, and still didn't pass thru and thru at a range and shot placement I am
sure the 300WM would have.

john-brennan
04-19-2020, 07:33 PM
7 RM will do it all.

Citori54
04-19-2020, 08:34 PM
7 RM will do it all.

The 7mm rem Mag is so last century:mrgreen:. Why would you want a flat shooting, reasonably hard hitting cartridge with moderate recoil and a wide selection of bullets?

Mosin
04-19-2020, 09:54 PM
The 7mm rem Mag is so last century:mrgreen:. Why would you want a flat shooting, reasonably hard hitting cartridge with moderate recoil and a wide selection of bullets?

Isn't it funner to re-invent the wheel? Besides 300 WSM seems kinda inviting don't it?

REMINGTON JIM
04-19-2020, 10:57 PM

ALL 7 MM Rem mag Guys should up date to the Superior 280 AI ! :razz: RJ

hawk-i
04-20-2020, 07:52 AM
The 300WM is to much gun for a lot of people...will a well placed shot from a 300 WM kill a moose any quicker than a well placed shot from a 7mm-08 at normal hunting distances?...NOPE...:)

That being said, I do have a couple of 300WM's and a 300WSM, and a 30 Nosler, and the new King a 300PRC ...IMHO, you have to have better form with the bigger 30 calibers to shoot them accurately.

Just my opinion though....:)

Citori54
04-20-2020, 08:51 AM
ALL 7 MM Rem mag Guys should up date to the Superior 280 AI ! :razz: RJ

I went the other way RJ, kept the Rem Mag and got a lightweight 7-08. All the bases covered now:smile:

REMINGTON JIM
04-20-2020, 01:39 PM
I went the other way RJ, kept the Rem Mag and got a lightweight 7-08. All the bases covered now:smile:

YOUR good ! :lol: RJ

DarekG
04-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Got a 300 WIN MAG as my first hunting rifle because the rifle and scope combo were on a super, super cheap sale and that's all that was in stock. I had shot one before so I knew what the "recoil" was like. (I've never had issues with recoil on any rifle/shotgun or ammo/load I've fired in my life.)

In fact the rifle in question is the Mossberg Patriot with the Vortex scope combo. Most people would say this is a crappy budget rifle but...

It's absolutely fine. It's still the rifle I use to this day, with proper shot placement and decent ammunition I don't find that there is a lot of wasted meat especially if you just grind up the ugly bits afterwards. I've harvested well over a dozen animals with it in all conditions.

I also have never had to "search" for any of the animals I shot, they basically all drop within 5 yards of where they are hit.

That being said, if I save up for a nicer rifle in the future it will probably be 30-06 or .270 because ammo is marginally cheaper and its not quite as loud.

My 2 cents.

Rieber
04-20-2020, 02:25 PM
The 300WM peaked my shooting enjoyment threshold. I had a couple at different times back in the 80's when I was still young and headstrong. I had a tough time believing that my reaction to the recoil was affecting my shooting accuracy. Yet if I stepped down to the 7mag or 30-06 I didn't have that issue. I further stepped down to .270 and I thought I had struck gold.

Now nearly 40 years later, I have found the 300WSM to be my fav. Something about this caliber in the 5 rifles in 300WSM fits my comfort level just right. The felt recoil of these wsm's just gives me a reassurance of killing power and accuracy. I really like these 300WSM and I know the 300WM offers a little more felt recoil and I prefer not to shoot one ever again. That 300WM has created a mental hurdle within me that I will no longer challenge.

The 300WSM has been good to me and I don't consider it to be too much gun. 168gr TTSX and 180 gr Accubonds are my 300WSM favorite flavors.

Mosin
04-20-2020, 06:41 PM
The 300WM peaked my shooting enjoyment threshold. I had a couple at different times back in the 80's when I was still young and headstrong. I had a tough time believing that my reaction to the recoil was affecting my shooting accuracy. Yet if I stepped down to the 7mag or 30-06 I didn't have that issue. I further stepped down to .270 and I thought I had struck gold.

Now nearly 40 years later, I have found the 300WSM to be my fav. Something about this caliber in the 5 rifles in 300WSM fits my comfort level just right. The felt recoil of these wsm's just gives me a reassurance of killing power and accuracy. I really like these 300WSM and I know the 300WM offers a little more felt recoil and I prefer not to shoot one ever again. That 300WM has created a mental hurdle within me that I will no longer challenge.

The 300WSM has been good to me and I don't consider it to be too much gun. 168gr TTSX and 180 gr Accubonds are my 300WSM favorite flavors.

I feel the same way you do except the gun that got me to reach my enjoyment peak was the 338 win mag...215 grain bullet with 71.5 grains of imr 4350 behind it. It has affected my ability to shoot smaller guns because of the flinch I got from it. I am proud to say I had overcome that flinch for the most part but then I picked up a 45-70 and shot my handloads from it, let me tell you...getting hit with my scope on the bridge of the nose after let fly a 350 grain interlock with 62 grains of imr4064 really hurt...like BIG time. Haha I've slowly regained my confidence

gcreek
04-20-2020, 07:49 PM
Have a 300 WM made by Smith and Wesson that has been a favourite for 25 years. I am not a target shooter but what "Speaks Once" talks to falls down. Never ever been scoped, you just need to remember to hug her a little more snuggly than most.

Deadly, deadly firearm. Like it so much I gave away my 30.06.

Mind you, I have killed most everything there is to kill in the province with my Model 700 BDL 22.250 also.

Pauly
04-20-2020, 08:55 PM
30 06 will kill any beast in BC..
30/06.... next thing bell bottoms will be back in style ... 7mm is the ultimate riffle best of all worlds. When I told my grandfather way back when I was buying a 7mm he acted like I kicked him in the nuts lol ... he loved his 30/06 big time!! But one day he had a firing pin fubar on him so he reluctantly took my 7 mm and shot a moose two days latter . He bought a 7mm the mans man riffle lol

cptnoblivious
04-20-2020, 09:06 PM
I've shot a 300 WM for 25+ years, shot moose and deer with it. It always hurt me at the range, never felt it when hunting.

Picked up a 308 a few years ago as I'm spending more time at the range. Killed a my first buck with the 308 last year. Kills the deer just as dead, don't think they can tell the difference. If I was hunting in open country and anticipating long shots, I'd take the 300 WM. For most things I do, the shorter barrel and easier maneuverability of the 308 makes it easier to drag through the bush (22 in vs. 26 in barrel).

Lots of factors and things may change for people as they get a bit older, or as their hunting changes. The 'right' gun is the one you have with you when you need one, used correctly.

BCBRAD
04-21-2020, 08:03 AM
I've been keeping track of the animals shot over the last 30 years, average distance ~150 yards, closest 50 ft with a 6X scope, longest 425 yards with a 6X scoped 35 Whelen. Used 7 Mag on up to 375 H&H.

Back in the day the 300 Mags were desired because generally you could hold on the animal to 400 yards with good result and not be too unmanageable .

Today, with much better bullets, scopes and range finders the virtues of the 300 mags have lost ground to a hunter that is equipped with modern tools. I am talking distances most animals are shot, say muzzle to 200 yards and to 500 yards being extreme.

There are many choices that will do the job starting below the power level of the 300's.

All my rifles in medium's are gone 33,35,36 and 37 caliber, all killed very well but detested the 2 338's I had the most.

I do own a 300 WM that is used for target shooting, easy to burn off 1/2 to 2/3rds of a pound of powder in a range session. The TRG brake makes the difference.

So, today my 'big' rifle is a 30-06 Sako with 200 grain Accubonds at 2650 to 2700 ft/s depending on powder (this combo kills like any of the mediums). The back is a 7mm-08 with 150 grain ELD-X or 150 grain Accubond at 2600 ft/s.

Both good to 500 yards.

Bugle M In
04-21-2020, 08:31 AM
I've been keeping track of the animals shot over the last 30 years, average distance ~150 yards, closest 50 ft with a 6X scope, longest 425 yards with a 6X scoped 35 Whelen. Used 7 Mag on up to 375 H&H.

Back in the day the 300 Mags were desired because generally you could hold on the animal to 400 yards with good result and not be too unmanageable .

Today, with much better bullets, scopes and range finders the virtues of the 300 mags have lost ground to a hunter that is equipped with modern tools. I am talking distances most animals are shot, say muzzle to 200 yards and to 500 yards being extreme.

There are many choices that will do the job starting below the power level of the 300's.

All my rifles in medium's are gone 33,35,36 and 37 caliber, all killed very well but detested the 2 338's I had the most.

I do own a 300 WM that is used for target shooting, easy to burn off 1/2 to 2/3rds of a pound of powder in a range session. The TRG brake makes the difference.

So, today my 'big' rifle is a 30-06 Sako with 200 grain Accubonds at 2650 to 2700 ft/s depending on powder (this combo kills like any of the mediums). The back is a 7mm-08 with 150 grain ELD-X or 150 grain Accubond at 2600 ft/s.

Both good to 500 yards.
Good post,

Yes, the "performance" of the 300 WM certainly did "make it attractive" as you stated
Yup, high FPS, flat shooting, bullets heavy enough, are the reasons my dad went to a 300WM.
(the rest of his crew back then, basically all owned 30/06).
However, he admitted that his favorite rifle was his 308 that he sold to get the 300WM.

Bugle M In
04-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Some of the posts here have me thinking maybe it's time for me to get a brake on mine (300WM).
My shoulder is a total mess and I am getting older.

Or, maybe I just sell the thing and get a Sako Bavarian that I always wanted....in a lighter caliber:razz:

cptnoblivious
04-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Some of the posts here have me thinking maybe it's time for me to get a brake on mine (300WM).
My shoulder is a total mess and I am getting older.

Or, maybe I just sell the thing and get a Sako Bavarian that I always wanted....in a lighter caliber:razz:

I've been thinking about chopping off a couple of inches of barrel and adding a brake on mine as well, but a lot of my shooting is quick, and I've already got some hearing loss. A brake would make that much worse if I don't have time to get the earplugs in.

BCBRAD
04-21-2020, 01:11 PM
I've been thinking about chopping off a couple of inches of barrel and adding a brake on mine as well, but a lot of my shooting is quick, and I've already got some hearing loss. A brake would make that much worse if I don't have time to get the earplugs in.

I have a decibel meter app on my phone.

My braked 260 records 77.7 db , 6 Dasher 77.3 db. This is one bench away or ~7-8 feet center to center.

The 20" bbl 7mm-08 is almost the same as the braked 260.

I know this is not scientific at all, but at least a comparison.

The brake that has radial holes all around is very loud to unmuffled ears, mine are 3 gill tactical style brakes.

My shooting partner does not like the braked 300 as it blows his paper and shit all over the place.

Bugle M In
04-21-2020, 01:56 PM
Yup, I never enjoyed being at the range, and then at some point a new shooter sets up beside me, especially to my right,
and his weapon of choice has a brake on it.
Just how it goes.

Also, worse is having a guy show up with a black powder rifle, then nobody gets to shoot for 5-10 minutes after he taps
one of the caps off...…:roll:

likemaple
04-21-2020, 05:00 PM
I guess there is a reason the reg says be minimal caliber for bison (and bison only) is 30-06 (I know the reg only list the energy required, but 180gr factory 30-06 would be the fair minimum). I love 308, and have taken blackies and deers with 150gr win. factory 308s. If you have a lot of opportunities to hunt huge games (elk, etc), sure go ahead with a 300wm. But remember, the difference between a 150gr 308/30-06/300wm is the effective distance they can harvest games. I will not shoot a 308 over 300m. Also, consider your shooting ability, a light weight 300wm is a LOT of gun/recoil. I have a unbraked rem. 700LR in 300wm, and I have a big scope on it, and it kicks like a mule. Was thinking about getting a Tikka T3x lite in 300wm and use it for big game, and realize I have never not drop a game on the spot with my 500 dollar Savage Axis II in 308. And being in southern BC, where we have a lot of woods, you don't have many chance to shoot over a couple hundred meters anyway. Hope that make sense.

cptnoblivious
04-21-2020, 05:41 PM
I have a decibel meter app on my phone.

My braked 260 records 77.7 db , 6 Dasher 77.3 db. This is one bench away or ~7-8 feet center to center.

The 20" bbl 7mm-08 is almost the same as the braked 260.

I know this is not scientific at all, but at least a comparison.

The brake that has radial holes all around is very loud to unmuffled ears, mine are 3 gill tactical style brakes.

My shooting partner does not like the braked 300 as it blows his paper and shit all over the place.

I'd highly recommend not using your cell phone sound meter. I remembered seeing a sound comparison in a muzzle brake review a long time ago and managed to find it:
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/07/muzzle-brakes-sound-test/

According to the graph the differences go from 41 - 162% louder for the perceived shooter increase. Hearing never comes back, I'm trying to find a way to use ear protection even without a brake as the tinnitus is a bitch.

likemaple
04-21-2020, 11:09 PM
I'd highly recommend not using your cell phone sound meter. I remembered seeing a sound comparison in a muzzle brake review a long time ago and managed to find it:
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/07/muzzle-brakes-sound-test/

According to the graph the differences go from 41 - 162% louder for the perceived shooter increase. Hearing never comes back, I'm trying to find a way to use ear protection even without a brake as the tinnitus is a bitch.

Agree. Actually the phone does not have an adequate sampling time, so it would not meter sound impulse like a gunshot, which only spike for a very short time (milliseconds). Also, those microphones in any cellphone will not have the dynamic range that can measure a gunshot that can easily in excessive of 130dB

Darksith
04-22-2020, 10:30 AM
I guess there is a reason the reg says be minimal caliber for bison (and bison only) is 30-06 (I know the reg only list the energy required, but 180gr factory 30-06 would be the fair minimum).
its not though. 7mm can delivery that energy as well as well as a few other smaller calibres

BCBRAD
04-22-2020, 11:31 AM
Agree. Actually the phone does not have an adequate sampling time, so it would not meter sound impulse like a gunshot, which only spike for a very short time (milliseconds). Also, those microphones in any cellphone will not have the dynamic range that can measure a gunshot that can easily in excessive of 130dB

That's what I figured as the difference was not much and really low, just did it to see what, if any difference the device would record.

I have brakes on a 6 Dasher, 260 rem and 300 Win Mag, the 300 is the only one that offers a fairly big concussive effect. The other 2 (very little concussive effect and sound) are braked for recoil management in the bags as is the 300.

The rifles that I use for hunting are not braked for the reasons that have been expounded here, however, I had a 35 Whelen and a 375 H&H that were mag-na-ported. Could not detect any sound difference, recoil reduced ~30% by allowing the rifle to recoil straight back...no muzzle flip or torquing out to left field.

Muzzle pressure (psi) has a great effect on the 'bark' of a rifle. I find short barreled rifles to be louder than a longer barrelled ones. Almost akin to braked vs unbraked.

One method of mitigating the sound of other shooters on the line is to concentrate on the target/sight picture....you won't hear or feel anything from those around you .

And, of course use hearing protection adequate for the activity.

Linksman313
04-22-2020, 11:42 AM
If you already have a 30/06 and have money burning a hole in your pocket, upgrade your optics, or gear, not the gun.
Or buy more ammo and practice more.

What the man says! Upgraded the scope on the old Savage and haven't missed yet lol. Range time and ammo testing is priceless
I also invested in a top line pair of boots at the same time that made more of a positive difference in my hunting success then anything else purchased prior.
Good luck

Night Hawk 3
04-22-2020, 12:34 PM

I added in-ear sound cancelling hearing aids made by Walker a bunch of years ago. I never go hunting without them.

Walker's Game Ear - look them up. A bit pricey, but totally worth it.

NH3

homer76
04-22-2020, 01:05 PM
I added in-ear sound cancelling hearing aids made by Walker a bunch of years ago. I never go hunting without them.

NH3

I use Pro Ears Stealth 28 which only cost $70. Londero Sports in Quebec sells them.

panhead
04-23-2020, 04:26 PM
Have a 300 WM made by Smith and Wesson that has been a favourite for 25 years. I am not a target shooter but what "Speaks Once" talks to falls down. Never ever been scoped, you just need to remember to hug her a little more snuggly than most.
Deadly, deadly firearm. Like it so much I gave away my 30.06.
Mind you, I have killed most everything there is to kill in the province with my Model 700 BDL 22.250 also.[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember well the time "Speaks Once" spoke only once in my hands too. And the times "Speaks Once" spoke for me in others hands. She's not so pretty anymore but still speaks her mind. Nothing like a gun that has been through thick and thin with you. Feeling of trust ... caliber not so important if you know each other like that.

If God didn’t want them sheared he wouldn’t have made them sheep.

emerson
04-23-2020, 04:50 PM
The idea that hunting rifles can be held by the fingertips like a 10# AR shooting a 223 is part of the problem. We don’t say Kenworths are a penis extension, we train Honda drivers before they drive a Kenworth.

ACE
04-24-2020, 09:14 AM
​Girlfriend shoots her .300 Winchester very well. It's a relatively mild calibre . . .

cptnoblivious
04-24-2020, 11:36 AM

NH3

Thanks, I'm going to look into those!

cptnoblivious
04-24-2020, 12:17 PM
its not though. 7mm can delivery that energy as well as well as a few other smaller calibres

Did a bit of math, you could use a 308 with a 180 gr Trophy Bonded Tip. That has over 2000 ft/lbs even at 200 meters. Not that I'd want to ... :)