PDA

View Full Version : Going to cabin

NIHunter
04-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Anyone know if your allowed to go to your secondary residence(cabin in Rock Creek)no neighbours close by and middle of nowhere bring all supplies with me no stops from lower mainland thanks

Baconator
04-15-2020, 09:37 AM
Hell, if it is O.K for the Prime Minister it should be O.K for you. Hell I bet you don't have a pile of Secret Service Mounties in tow, either.

Citori54
04-15-2020, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't go by what our idiot leader does. He has shown time and time again he does not show an ounce of good judgement. The issue for these small communities is that if you were to get sick they do not have the resources to deal with it. Same if you were to get hurt/injured in an accident you are putting first responders at risk. Small communities have asked us not to visit, so I really think we should be abiding by these requests for the good of the communities involved. It is only an inconvenience to you but could be serious for them.

russm
04-15-2020, 09:49 AM
Why ask,just go

adriaticum
04-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Be prepared for all the Nazis to post your pictures on the social media and call on you the police, the army and prime minister himself.
If there is a fire near by, check it to make sure it's not the inquisition getting ready to burn you at the stake.

Huntingtyler123
04-15-2020, 10:09 AM
Trudeau can do it so can you... why ask, just go if you want. It’s up to you , not people on this forum haha. Whatever you think is right go for it , take precautions sure, use common sense. Still a free country we live in

whitlers
04-15-2020, 10:41 AM
It's your choice and your choice only. If you can keep your social distancing and bring all your own goods up then why not. I think some of the people on here could use alittle more fresh air...

weatherby_man
Theres no total travel ban,,,,yet... I would just go and dont tell anyone :)...

KodiakHntr
Take precautions, use common sense, and do whats best for your family.

Still completely legal.

BCHunterFSJ
04-15-2020, 11:12 AM
I say go for it - I'm in a similar situation!

Leaseman
04-15-2020, 11:30 AM
You packed yet?? 8)

lowball
04-15-2020, 12:02 PM
It's your choice and your choice only. If you can keep your social distancing and bring all your own goods up then why not. I think some of the people on here could use alittle more fresh air...
I would agree with that, on all accounts....

WWBC
04-15-2020, 12:09 PM
Go

Its stupid all these people making a big stink about people using their summer homes and cabins. It’s your property go and enjoy and spend money at the local store when you get there.

Bubbacanuck
04-15-2020, 12:11 PM
Turkey season is open and rock creek is good for gobblers. Go hammer a big Tom!

weatherby_man
04-15-2020, 12:36 PM
I think he left already,,,,,,

Danny_29
04-15-2020, 12:49 PM
Go

Its stupid all these people making a big stink about people using their summer homes and cabins. It’s your property go and enjoy and spend money at the local store when you get there.

This is the part that bothers me. Most of these stores are staffed by locals, mostly retired and of an older age.

First off they are a vulnerable demographic.

Secondly one case and the store will shut putting people out of work and hopefully the business can survive.

If you are going to go be as self contained as possible.

tigrr
04-15-2020, 12:59 PM
Hell is 3000 people from Alberta can invade the Shuswap to self quarantine, I see no reason you can't go. Don't go near any stores and only buy gas with gloves on then dispose of the gloves before getting back in your vehicle. Snow mold is rearing its ugly head and causing sore throats and stuffed sinuses.
No Fever!!

NIHunter
04-15-2020, 01:04 PM
thanks gang c ya

triggerhappy
04-15-2020, 01:10 PM
We have done too good of a job flattening the curve in BC. Our hospitals are no where near overwhelmed. The flatter the curve, the longer this will last. We actually need the infection rate to be higher in BC if we want to get through this in a reasonable amount of time. Pretty much everyone will eventually get it anyways, so as long as the infection rate is not so high as to overwhelm hospitals and lead to additional people dying due to a lack of resources, then we are good.

You should absolutely have no concerns about going to your cabin.

REMINGTON JIM
04-15-2020, 02:53 PM
Anyone know if your allowed to go to your secondary residence(cabin in Rock Creek)no neighbours close by and middle of nowhere bring all supplies with me no stops from lower mainland thanks

I would IF as you say NO STOPS ! :evil: Bring everything including the Kitchen sink with you ! jmo RJ

REMINGTON JIM
04-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Go

Troll ? ? SPEND money at the Local store when you get there ?? if NOT ? Your TOTALLY WRONG ! :twisted: RJ

Iron Glove
04-15-2020, 02:56 PM
Use your discretion based on your, and the area you are going to's situation.
No stops, no local stores, distancing, no present illnesses ……………………………………
I'm not saying if I'm posting this from home or the cabin. :wink:

whognu
04-15-2020, 02:57 PM
the chances of you infecting someone or being infected going to your cabin, while slight, is more than zero

you will meet people along the way, either on purpose or by accident

stupid things really, kid gets a chicken bone in his throat, you get a flat, you come across an accident, you run out of beer, etc........

here's the thing; you are either a team player, accepting that you will take one for the team, or you are just another self entitled "i'll do what i want, when i want because i know what i'm doing, and you're not the boss of me" kind of guy

the real trouble isn't you particularly going to the cabin, it's just that you are 'another' guy on the road, and if we all take that selfish outlook then curves don't get bent

personally, i don't care what you or anyone else does

but consider

in world war 2 people across europe were asked to stay in a damn bunker for months (and years) and use rations for food; and they did it why??

to 'take one for the team'

the collective good

chris

pg83
04-15-2020, 02:58 PM
Road's been closed into mine. If it hadn't, I'd already be there.

pg83
04-15-2020, 03:01 PM
the chances of you infecting someone or being infected going to your cabin, while slight, is more than zero

stupid things really, kid gets a chicken bone in his throat, you get a flat, you come across an accident, you run out of beer, etc........

here's the thing; you are either a team player, accepting that you will take one for the team, or you are just another self entitled "i'll do what i want, when i want because i know what i'm doing, and you're not the boss of me" kind of guy

the real trouble isn't you particularly going to the cabin, it's just that you are 'another' guy on the road, and if we all take that selfish outlook then curves don't get bent

but consider

in world war 2 people across europe were asked to stay in a damn bunker for months (and years) and use rations for food; and they did it why??

the collective good

chris

The flip side to this is that we are doing far worse for potential transmission at our local grocery store without batting an eye.

EDIT: and the WW2 comparison is a joke.

twoSevenO
04-15-2020, 03:03 PM

but consider

the collective good

chris

This is the correct response. Not stopping anywhere en route and all that is great, but you never know if something might happen and you're now adding unnecessary burden to the health care workers of that region.

Huntingtyler123
04-15-2020, 03:52 PM
Comparing this to the war is not even close. We are sitting inside our house with Internet, fridge full of food and ass wipe, and a tv. Go if you wish, take precautions and good judge of common sense. Don’t pick your nose after getting gas

whognu
04-15-2020, 04:05 PM
Comparing this to the war is not even close. We are sitting inside our house with Internet, fridge full of food and ass wipe, and a tv. Go if you wish, take precautions and good judge of common sense. Don’t pick your nose after getting gas

sorry that you and some other guy missed the point

the war reference was regarding HARDSHIP

they were asked to live in very harsh conditions for years

we have been asked to 'shelter in place' (with all attendant luxuries) for a month or two

all for the greater good

that's all

pg83
04-15-2020, 04:17 PM

we have been asked to 'shelter in place' (with all attendant luxuries) for a month or two

all for the greater good

that's all

As much as I am a fan of sheep(and believe me, I'm a big fan), I have no desire to behave like one blindly, but that's just me.

Huntingtyler123
04-15-2020, 04:49 PM

all for the greater good

that's all

thanks for clarifying , I can understand that

WWBC
04-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Troll ? ? SPEND money at the Local store when you get there ?? if NOT ? Your TOTALLY WRONG ! :twisted: RJ

Might be wrong and I often am.

My comment about purchasing in the local community is that the economic losses to retailers in some of these small towns is devastating. If care is exercised I don’t believe the extra risk of spreading infection is greater than the economic damages of not contributing to the local ( vacation area) economy.

REMINGTON JIM
04-15-2020, 06:09 PM
The problem is and Many people i Guess do KNOW these - BUT you can have it and pass it without any knowledge ! My buddies wife works in the ICU here in Kamloops and she says this is a VERY Bad problem we have ! SO try and stay home BUT if you cannot PLEASE stay away from other people !

Cheers RJ

Redthies
04-15-2020, 06:26 PM
Hell, if it is O.K for the Prime Minister it should be O.K for you. Hell I bet you don't have a pile of Secret Service Mounties in tow, either.

Exactly. Is it legal? Yes. Will others possibly judge you for it? Yes. Am I going to go turkey hunting while avoiding other human interaction? HELL YES.

Redthies
04-15-2020, 06:38 PM
I’ll add that my plan is to avoid all other contact. My business is still running, and I go to the building supply to pick up essentials about once every two weeks. The lines of morons with ineffective face masks and man purses with pomeranians in tow (I shit you not!) that are lined up to get in the store to buy things to let them do some (bad) DIY job at home is ridiculous. Those people are FAR more likely to be spreading this around than I am by driving to my spot, hunting, and then making one “gloves on” pay at the pump stop to get home...

jac
04-15-2020, 06:45 PM
I have a cabin there also. If I go I will bring all supply and fuel so I can come and return without needing to go to any stores. Obviously if you break down or something but just plan for the normal 80% and if something else happens well out of your control!!

GreyDog
04-16-2020, 05:51 AM
While recreation is not likely to ever make the list for "essential travel" at some point, life must go on; it just may have to be modified. Common sense will prevail. If the virus cannot be eliminated, we all, unless naturally immune, will have to catch it at some point. There is some evidence that people who have recovered may still be carriers. Still, life must go on. I would say, if you are coming from a locale where there are confirmed cases of CV and travelling to a community where there are none, you are doing those people a disservice. If you are travelling from a clean community to an infected one and returning, you are doing your family a disservice; not to mention yourself. I want to know more about the communicability of the virus and possible cycles before I would make any rash moves but the time is coming when moves must be made. GD

The Donald
04-16-2020, 06:38 AM
I have thought long and hard about this, what is the right thing to do. Here is what i am contemplating. I can make it to the cabin no stops if i bring an extra jerry of fuel. I get my groceries delivered to me once every 2 weeks so i will not be stopping for any groceries along the way. I will also have a piss container in the cab and a port a potti in the back to do my business. I will however have to get fuel up there for the ride home. I have called the general store, asked if i get fuel (gloves on) if i can phone him from the pump and he can run my card, no problem was the answer. So i have some appointments that take me to the end of April, if the numbers of infection are still dropping and not spiking because of the last long weekend i think i will self isolate at the cabin and the last thing i want is to see other people(i'm a bit anti social :wink: ). So does this sound like a solid plan. Other plan is to go into politics and do what ever the hell i want.

GreyDog
04-16-2020, 06:57 AM
As stated, common sense will prevail. GD

MontyLake
04-16-2020, 02:31 PM

My comment about purchasing in the local community is that the economic losses to retailers in some of these small towns is devastating. If care is exercised I don’t believe the extra risk of spreading infection is greater than the economic damages of not contributing to the local ( vacation area) economy.

For phoques sake, how many times does this have to be repeated? Don't go to local small town stores if you're from out of town. Their supplies are limited and you may be carrying the bug. Bring your own stuff from home.

REMINGTON JIM
04-17-2020, 07:57 AM

I see your in 5-1 I lived in 5-1 for 16 years at Bridge lake and theres enough LOCALS to support the stores ! RJ

Iron Glove
04-17-2020, 10:15 AM
I see your in 5-1 I lived in 5-1 for 16 years at Bridge lake and theres enough LOCALS to support the stores ! RJ

We spent our honeymoon, almost 50 years ago in a friend's Bridge Lake cabin.
We were too busy doing other things to support the stores. :shock:

rollingrock
04-17-2020, 11:16 AM
I’ll add that my plan is to avoid all other contact. My business is still running, and I go to the building supply to pick up essentials about once every two weeks. The lines of morons with ineffective face masks and man purses with pomeranians in tow (I shit you not!) that are lined up to get in the store to buy things to let them do some (bad) DIY job at home is ridiculous. Those people are FAR more likely to be spreading this around than I am by driving to my spot, hunting, and then making one “gloves on” pay at the pump stop to get home...

This is so true! Also, Canadian Tire had masks for sale at current market price, but some a--hole filed a complaint because it was "too expensive". Now what? CT had to donate the masks to health service agencies....but what about average people who do want to pay and buy those masks?

REMINGTON JIM
04-17-2020, 12:07 PM
We spent our honeymoon, almost 50 years ago in a friend's Bridge Lake cabin.

" We were too busy doing other things to support the stores " :shock:

Just had to share that Hey Comrade John ! :grin: lol RJ

REMINGTON JIM
04-17-2020, 12:09 PM
As stated, common sense will prevail. GD

Yea BUT Common SENSE is Not so Common anymore GD - it seems " ENTILEMENT and SPOILED " just like the Indians are is the NEW Wave ! :icon_frow jmo RJ

Harvest the Land
04-17-2020, 02:52 PM
If you're able to be self sufficient and bring all the stuff you need then for sure go for it! I was up North Island for 4 days last week, camped on spur roads, brought our own propane stove tent food etc. Only had to stop for gas and the pumps are all pay at the pump now anyway. Did not interact with anyone except the guy at the ferry in the booth (who's now behind a plastic/glass wall). Save an ungulate - poke a bear while you're at it. Have fun out there

Redthies
04-17-2020, 10:00 PM
This is so true! Also, Canadian Tire had masks for sale at current market price, but some a--hole filed a complaint because it was "too expensive". Now what? CT had to donate the masks to health service agencies....but what about average people who do want to pay and buy those masks?

Exactly. What about guys like me who actually need to wear dust masks as ppe for our jobs? Luckily I’m old enough to know a t-shirt pulled up over your nose is N95 equivalent!

I drove to kelowna and back today and gave a big thumbs up to all the guys with campers on their trucks heading for the woods. You know they’re getting loads of stink eye, so a bit of positive vibes are good.

ratherbefishin
04-18-2020, 06:19 AM
In Australia they are using government helicopters to locate and fine ‘violators’ $1600 on remote off road areas far from civilization..this has gone too far..best thing anybody could do for ‘social distancing ‘is pack up and head for the bush for a month

GEF
04-18-2020, 08:48 AM
I listened to Bill Good say on the radio if you don't want people coming to there summer homes than dont expect to come to the city to go to the hospital if you get sick .HMMM.

tigrr
04-18-2020, 09:10 PM
One problem now is all the city looky loo's driving around because they are board and destroying the roads during breakup. Idiots driving in the same rut making it 7 inches deep instead of driving beside the rut and flattening the hump out.
I changed my mind stay home.

Gun Dog
04-19-2020, 07:58 AM
I listened to Bill Good say on the radio if you don't want people coming to there summer homes than dont expect to come to the city to go to the hospital if you get sick .HMMM.Bill Good has a very nice second home on the Sunshine Coast. The mayor of Alert Bay has COVID-19 (tested) and blames "travelers" for contaminating his village. By travelers he means outsiders and seems to forget that locals also come and go for supplies or work.

I see it on some facebook sites for small lake communities. There's a handful of full time residents telling the other 90% of home owners to stay away. I guess they never drive to town for work, groceries and gas.

CranePete
04-19-2020, 09:14 AM
^^^ I think that you’ll find that to be a long standing grudge. Full time lake residents have “nimby-ism” down to a science.

albravo2
04-19-2020, 09:36 AM

I definitely get the logic here but I think it misses the point that our health care system is nowhere near overwhelmed right now. Emergency rooms and hospitals are mostly empty as a result of our successful efforts to flatten the curve.

If I'm at my cabin and cut myself to the point where I need stitches I would go to the local hospital for the services they are built to provide. In the unlikely event I am carrying Covid asymptomatically there is a risk that someone I come in contact with will contract the virus but the provincial system is capable of dealing with that too. If I develop Covid symptoms I will come home but I also know if I require hospitalization I will be moved to Surrey or one of the other Covid designated hospitals in greater Vancouver because Squamish isn't handling any Covid cases.

I take the threat of the virus seriously. I also see a threat when people feel unreasonably restricted and confined. I believe restrictions should be as few as possible but vigorously upheld and enforced if necessary.

Iron Glove
04-19-2020, 11:06 AM
I definitely get the logic here but I think it misses the point that our health care system is nowhere near overwhelmed right now. Emergency rooms and hospitals are mostly empty as a result of our successful efforts to flatten the curve.

If I'm at my cabin and cut myself to the point where I need stitches I would go to the local hospital for the services they are built to provide. In the unlikely event I am carrying Covid asymptomatically there is a risk that someone I come in contact with will contract the virus but the provincial system is capable of dealing with that too. If I develop Covid symptoms I will come home but I also know if I require hospitalization I will be moved to Surrey or one of the other Covid designated hospitals in greater Vancouver because Squamish isn't handling any Covid cases.

I take the threat of the virus seriously. I also see a threat when people feel unreasonably restricted and confined. I believe restrictions should be as few as possible but vigorously upheld and enforced if necessary.

Well thought out.
We considered all the Pros and Cons of visiting our cabin this trip. Possibly it would be considered "essential" because if a full travel ban happened then we might return to a flood damaged cabin full of mouldy food and such. We are doing what we can to mitigate any risks now. Note that as a recreational property we can't get flood insurance and don't qualify for the PEP funds. So, decided it was worth it and off we went.
Wife and I are in decent condition, age in consideration and have shown no symptoms. We regularly check our vitals, including temperatures.
No human interactions driving up, will be the same driving back. All food brought from home so no depleting the local stores.
Nobody else on our Street, we practice distancing on the odd walk thru town.
If one of us should fall ill we will boot it home, roughly a 1.75 hour drive as opposed to hitting the local Hospital which is @ 30 minutes away.
One of the excuses to buy a new truck was that the Good Wife wouldn't drive the F-150 "too big" so I bought a new Ranger which she says is OK for her to drive. Wise risk management. :wink: