PDA

View Full Version : Access through Horsefly park still okay?

Redemption
04-13-2020, 12:46 PM
Been looking through the BC parks site and can't seem to fine if we are still okay to drive through Horsefly lake park to gain access to peoples cabin north of the park? I know the rec site itself is closed and the parking is as well but want to know if the paved/gravel road through it is still open?

Cheers to all.

Huntingtyler123
04-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Yes interested in this also

TimberPig
04-13-2020, 01:57 PM
It’s a gazetted public road, maintained by MOTI, with permanent residents beyond. I would be very surprised if parks has any authority to try and close it. The road is likely not even part of the park, as it has likely been removed and under authority of MOTI.

CranePete
04-13-2020, 03:06 PM
Hello, Tigrr....? This one’s right up your alley.

Jagermeister
04-13-2020, 03:39 PM
I spoke with the lady that owns Plato Island and she said their road is snowed in and will not be opened until around the middle of May. But she also said that the road out toward Elysia Resort is usually maintained as there are year round residents out that way. Elysia is still closed. So I think you would be good to go to where you describe but most likely have to park on the edge of the road as driveways will be snow bound.

Redemption
04-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Thanks Jager!

bc7mm
04-13-2020, 06:05 PM
Just a heads up with the present closures. A group out of Prince George was fishing up Williston lake over the weekend and the logging road passed through a park. As they were not fishing in the park they figured all was well and good. Not so, they were stopped on the way back, ticketed and their fish were taken away because they passed through the park.

Pretty cheap shot I’d say, a warning and some dialog might have been a better fit here, but be aware when travelling if your chosen path uses a park road for access.

srupp
04-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Hmmm one of my 2nd options for spring bear...guess that puts Elysian area out..
steven

tigrr
04-13-2020, 09:07 PM
Are you talking about the park on the north shore of horsefly lake? Hatchery road or Z road.
I would doubt anyone is monitoring that road. It is an hour and a half from anywhere. It will be breaking up as well because the frost is coming out.

The road was plowed out to quesnel lake but a lot of the spurs roads are not plowed. Cougar bay is plowed. Hen Ingram was open to a logging site.
Hope you have good mud tires and clearance under your truck!! You will need them. 20 inches of snow on my lawn and some places have 4 feet of snow in the bush. 96 inches of snow this year. Your call.

GreyDog
04-13-2020, 09:08 PM
Just a heads up with the present closures. A group out of Prince George was fishing up Williston lake over the weekend and the logging road passed through a park. As they were not fishing in the park they figured all was well and good. Not so, they were stopped on the way back, ticketed and their fish were taken away because they passed through the park.

Pretty cheap shot I’d say, a warning and some dialog might have been a better fit here, but be aware when travelling if your chosen path uses a park road for access.

And here is a classic example of the government overstepping. It comes back to common sense. Common sense tells us that some guys fishing up Williston are no problem as far as spreading the virus (or anything else, for that matter) is concerned. I support a common sense approach to restricting travel; I don't support stupidity. This is an example of law enforcement demonstrating their eagerness to, under the right circumstances, satisfy their need to step on the necks of the average citizen when they get the chance. This is stupid and I hope karma bites those officers involved at some point; they deserve it. GD

srupp
04-13-2020, 09:41 PM
Are you talking about the park on the north shore of horsefly lake? Hatchery road or Z road.
I would doubt anyone is monitoring that road. It is an hour and a half from anywhere. It will be breaking up as well because the frost is coming out.

The road was plowed out to quesnel lake but a lot of the spurs roads are not plowed. Cougar bay is plowed. Hen Ingram was open to a logging site.
Hope you have good mud tires and clearance under your truck!! You will need them. 20 inches of snow on my lawn and some places have 4 feet of snow in the bush. 96 inches of snow this year. Your call.

Thanks Tigrr...Appreciate front porch knowledge..
Cheers
Steven

srupp
04-13-2020, 09:44 PM
And here is a classic example of the government overstepping. It comes back to common sense. Common sense tells us that some guys fishing up Williston are no problem as far as spreading the virus (or anything else, for that matter) is concerned. I support a common sense approach to restricting travel; I don't support stupidity. This is an example of law enforcement demonstrating their eagerness to, under the right circumstances, satisfy their need to step on the necks of the average citizen when they get the chance. This is stupid and I hope karma bites those officers involved at some point; they deserve it. GD

Agree this seems to be unessisary heavy handed approach....doesn't make sense ..period. hundreds crammed together on Crescent beach..couple guys go onto a lake.., fined..Hmm mm mm mm mm mm mm mm.
Steven

GreyDog
04-13-2020, 09:59 PM
There is a lot of sand on that road and those officers should pound a couple quarts up their respective butts. What absolute crap. GD

TimberPig
04-14-2020, 04:48 PM
I took a look, and the road is removed from Horsefly provincial park as I suspected. It isn’t part of the park legally, so they would have no grounds to try and stop you.

Trks
05-05-2020, 08:45 AM
Looking for an update if anyone knows the road condition currently out to Alysia? Trying to get up there with my 30’ travel trailer soon, it will be left there for the season so only need to get in. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Downtown
05-05-2020, 09:18 AM

Pretty heavy handet it seems !
Do you know what they where actually charged with ?

Cheers

tigrr
05-05-2020, 05:52 PM
Looking for an update if anyone knows the road condition currently out to Alysia? Trying to get up there with my 30’ travel trailer soon, it will be left there for the season so only need to get in. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

You might want to call Alysia resort and find out if they are open. The road in will be muddy. No point in driving in if the gates are closed.

srupp
05-05-2020, 06:21 PM
Hmm drove out there couple days ago..road was muddy...still lots of snow around there around Whiffle LK. .

steven

Trks
05-06-2020, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys, yes gates opened up today. Heard a big boat already went in to get the docks back together so hopefully no issues for me, except the mud of course

Drillbit
05-06-2020, 10:18 PM
The Jolly Rodger will have the docks usable.

Trks
05-12-2020, 10:11 AM
Road was in ok shape, little bumpy in sections. Mud was gone and the road was dusty. No problem going through the provincial park, gates are just closed to the campgrounds. Drillbit, I meet Dan and Shawna from the Rodger. Helped with them with the dock for a bit, good people loving life up at the lake. Went for a drive and saw some smaller bears up Ingram nothing big enough to spark my interest. Found a little atv trail near the end of Ingram but cant find any info about it, maybe srupp or drillbit know something? It’s called suey slate bay trail, logging road cut in half, is that the one you were talking about in your other thread Steve? Thanks

Trks
05-12-2020, 10:45 AM
I should clarify, I have found some info about the trail and know it connects the lakes but looking for current info. Info I found indicates its a hiking trail, however it looked more like a rough torn up atv trail to me where it crosses by the Ingram main. Any current info on the trail condition would be helpful, thinking of taking the kids through it this weekend, cheers

Drillbit
05-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Ya, that trail goes from suey bay on horsefly lake to slate bay on quesnel lake.

I've been to both ends by boat and about a km each way at the middle. It's around 6km lake to lake

I'd guess it to be an old Swepemc trail from back in the day.

Lots of people poke down it on their atv's but you can't get very far.

It's Rod(somehow you got the wrong name) and Shawna on the Jolly Rodger. Heard he almost drowned and sunk a resort rental boat getting the docks lined up!

Trks
05-12-2020, 11:33 PM
Thanks for info on the trail, was thinking atv but not if I cant get through. Yes it was Rod, not sure where I came up with Dan, lol. Yeah that’s pretty much what happened, they both got lucky there, he took it better then the other guy. Especially for someone who doesn’t know how to swim. He got the boat out, cleaned it up and got it running again then headed off down the lake so I guess all is well

Drillbit
05-13-2020, 11:26 PM
You could get thru the trail easy, just lots of blowdown to cut.

It's a nice walking/horse trail and is wide everywhere I went. Just lots of trees across it, nobody goes there with a saw.

XPEIer
05-14-2020, 06:40 AM
You could get thru the trail easy, just lots of blowdown to cut.

It's a nice walking/horse trail and is wide everywhere I went. Just lots of trees across it, nobody goes there with a saw.

It is a Non motorized trail. http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?site=REC2844&type=Trail

XPEIER

Drillbit
05-14-2020, 10:08 PM
It is a Non motorized trail. http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?site=REC2844&type=Trail

XPEIER

......Another thing they are trying to take away from local residents. Man, I HATE bcparks.

Unless an atv'r goes thru it with a chainsaw, nobody will or can use it.