PDA

View Full Version : Logging Trucks a public danger

BlackOwL
04-11-2020, 11:23 AM
Logging and Mining truck drivers are a public danger, they make no effort to share the road, they don't Own public land as they might think.

I ask You BCWF:
Please educate Logging and mining companies that they have only the right to exploit certain area but not to take possession of public land and restricting or bulling other drivers who make extreme efforts to evade a collision that will result in a deadly accident in which the Outdoorsman will be the victim.

Please educate this *******s that we also have a Family waiting for us, and this bulling has to stop, I had some close calls, it doesn't matter where you go, there are always bullies who try to intimidate, this is happening is all the Province. And I know You all know this.

Arctic Lake
04-11-2020, 11:31 AM
Okay not sure where you are going with this . There are radios that enable you to monitor logging truck traffic on FSR roads . I rented one for such travel , nowplanning to buy one ! They appreciate that hunters and others do monitor the roads when you are traveling the backcountry roads .I personally have had good experiences with logging truck drivers . Not to say there may be some that are not so friendly

Arctic Lake

Jack Russell
04-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Last time I checked these roads were built for logging purposes (or mining). When the road is utilized for industrial purposes, the public should be careful of when and how they utilize those roads. The roads are built to minimum standards and for industrial use. They have radios in their rigs for the purposes of communicating to move traffic along safely and efficiently. If you are using the road, and not monitoring radio controlled traffic, thats YOUR problem. YOU are the hazard to the people working and using that road. Do everyone a favor instead of complaining - get a radio and be responsible to the many others using that road, instead of all the others having to watch out for your lame ass.

Island Idiots
04-11-2020, 11:58 AM
If you do not have a radio, follow a truck from a ways back, stop when they stop, go when they go. They are feeding their families and do not want to hurt you either. 100,000 pound truck cannot stop, turn, or get out of the way. Don't put yourself in the way. These are the basic survival tools for driving on logging roads without a radio. I have had some close calls, and I understand your frustration, but those roads have industrial traffic. Its like askng the Queen Mary to move out of the way for a row boat. IMO.

KodiakHntr
04-11-2020, 12:01 PM
Logging and Mining truck drivers are a public danger, they make no effort to share the road, they don't Own public land as they might think.

I ask You BCWF:
Please educate Logging and mining companies that they have only the right to exploit certain area but not to take possession of public land and restricting or bulling other drivers who make extreme efforts to evade a collision that will result in a deadly accident in which the Outdoorsman will be the victim.

Please educate this *******s that we also have a Family waiting for us, and this bulling has to stop, I had some close calls, it doesn't matter where you go, there are always bullies who try to intimidate, this is happening is all the Province. And I know You all know this.

The major aspect of this that you don’t seem to recognize is that you are out there for fun, your family doesn’t need for you to be out there. A truck drivers family relies on that driver to keep a roof over their heads and food on their table.
You acting in a reckless manner and not taking responsibility for your own safety puts everyone out there at risk.

You want to minimize the risk to yourself, stay home for a month and use that gas money you would have spent to buy a two way radio.

Ride Red
04-11-2020, 12:33 PM
The major aspect of this that you don’t seem to recognize is that you are out there for fun, your family doesn’t need for you to be out there. A truck drivers family relies on that driver to keep a roof over their heads and food on their table.
You acting in a reckless manner and not taking responsibility for your own safety puts everyone out there at risk.

You want to minimize the risk to yourself, stay home for a month and use that gas money you would have spent to buy a two way radio.

And these companies built these roads to extract timber, not the general public. Goes to show that people need to read/learn before posting and looking like an idiot.

Squamch
04-11-2020, 12:36 PM
While I agree with all the "get a radio" and "they're at work, get out of their way" sentiments, I've had log trucks run my off the road deliberately on more than one occasion around lake cowichan, so there is certainly some issues surrounding behaviour on both sides of the equation.

BlackOwL
04-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Ok. You guys read before replying, and connect the brain before answering, assuming I have no radio... assuming I wasn't responsible...and some say that I should stay at home for one month. and save for a two way radio, I always said there is no better way to show Your stupidity than assuming.

Now lets go to the facts, FSR are public land, this is precisely why is recommended to use a radio, if You want to stay home do it, but not for one month, stay there forever. now if there is a communication and I do every effort to step aside, and no matter My efforts and no matter how wide the road is, they come like a tank close to My vehicle despite that I am there waiting outside the road, they still do. Radio on Hand.

Now keep assuming and attracting more peers to help You with Your assuming. and Yes Ride Red, Read/learn so You don't look like and idiot!

Ride Red
04-11-2020, 12:53 PM
I’d suggest that any of you complaining about logging trucks try to do a bush round and enlighten yourselves with what it’s like being in one. Once you’ve done so, come back and tell us about your personal experience. I’m sure once done, you’re attitude and approach on these roads will be completely different.

BlackOwL
04-11-2020, 01:02 PM
I’d suggest that any of you complaining about logging trucks try to do a bush round and enlighten yourselves with what it’s like being in one. Once you’ve done so, come back and tell us about your personal experience. I’m sure once done, you’re attitude and approach on these roads will be completely different.

I suggest You come down from your cloud and get yourself some sense of responsibility, You have to see both sides, not Your one sided convenience insisting of being an idiot, and yes I had driven a semi. this is precisely the reason why I am saying that out there are some *******s who give bad name to trucking.

KodiakHntr
04-11-2020, 01:09 PM
Sooooo you are bitching because you think that trucks don’t give you enough room when you are pulled over to let them by?

So you have had a truck make contact then?

moosinaround
04-11-2020, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=BlackOwL;2165199]I suggest You come down from your cloud and get yourself some sense of responsibility, You have to see both sides, not Your one sided convenience insisting of being an idiot, and yes I had driven a semi. this is precisely the reason why I am saying that out there are some *******s who give bad name to

Jelvis, is this you??!! Your back!! You crazy lunatic!!!

Ride Red
04-11-2020, 01:13 PM
I suggest You come down from your cloud and get yourself some sense of responsibility, You have to see both sides, not Your one sided convenience insisting of being an idiot, and yes I had driven a semi. this is precisely the reason why I am saying that out there are some *******s who give bad name to trucking.

I do see both sides and I understand what these trucks do on these roads. You don’t understand that logging/mining companies built these roads in which we wouldn’t be able to travel if they didn’t. And driving a semi on a highway vs a logging truck in the bush are night and day differences. There’s bad divers in every industry, but whinnying about one bad experience against the whole industry doesn’t make you credible. I’ve had way more shitty experiences with everyday drivers on pavement.

S.W.A.T.
04-11-2020, 01:16 PM

I ask You BCWF:

You might be treading a thin line here with that

Keep in mind that once you enter a forestry or mine road yes they do have right of way. I meet entitled traveling public all the time, yes do my best to share the road as much as possible but when the choice has to be made between putting you in the weeds or me going in with 100 thousand pounds on my back you can only guess who is loosing that coin toss.

The public should be educating themselves on how to use resource roads, it's not the truckers job to educate stupid

BlackOwL
04-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Sooooo you are bitching because you think that trucks don’t give you enough room when you are pulled over to let them by?

So you have had a truck make contact then?

I had encounter in My life guys who think before making a challenge and some who just assume they can do one, the way I see it You are a bitch.

Downtown
04-11-2020, 01:22 PM

I ask You BCWF:

Generally speaking, Truck Drivers on and/or off Highway in Heavy Rigs are usually extremely courteous "Why" because it makes there Lives so much easier. If you do have an Issue you have the Option to contact the Company and/or ICBC and Complain. Name of Company and Tel # is on the Trucks Door.

Unfortunately if you do Complain you do have to get out of the Shadows and make your name and contact info available to the Authorities and it may very well turn out you where in the Wrong and end up with a Ticket.

Much easier to follow the rules and if you dont have a Radio suitable for that particular Bushroad, follow a Track in and out.

Cheers

S.W.A.T.
04-11-2020, 01:25 PM

And there are some that give the public a bad name ^^^

KodiakHntr
04-11-2020, 01:37 PM
I had encounter in My life guys who think before making a challenge and some who just assume they can do one, the way I see it You are a bitch.

LOL, uhuh. You got me.

So back to the question: you said you have a radio, you said you clear the industrial traffic, but your complaint is that the trucks come to close when you are stopped? Yes or no?

RyoTHC
04-11-2020, 01:50 PM

I ask You BCWF:

this is the laugh we all needed.
thank you!

PS they built and maintain those roads you think you have a right to use, without them there are no more active FSR. You may think so but wait until there is a washout, roads toast forever unless INDUSTRY brings heavy equipment out to fix it.

can we play a game of guess where you live ? If I’m within a 500km in one guess, I win.

dakoda62
04-11-2020, 02:16 PM
These trucks are not highway semi's driven on paved roads.

wildcatter
04-11-2020, 02:19 PM
I had a couple close calls and once if I didn't drive into the ditch the truck would have smoked me .
I have seen way too many times trucks barrelling down the middle of the road, not slowing down even a bit and you better get out of the way.
All you defending these actions maybe have a dog in this fight?

Would Rather Be Fishing
04-11-2020, 02:40 PM
For whatever it's worth: There are always A...holes on both sides of every fence. JUST got back home from a scouting trip and had some pretty nice run-ins with a logging crew and their trucks. They stopped me for a chat/advise, they moved their equipment for me so I could pass, and were generally a pleasant bunch. Just a thought: If you have issues with one specific area/logging/mining site, give the company a call and let them know? Certainly can't hurt....

Citori54
04-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Worked in Forestry for 40 years. When driving on roads with logging trucks, gravel trucks, low beds etc, having a radio was important, but the rule always was don't drive by the radio, expect a truck around every corner. Heavy trucks/equipment always had the right of way. As others have pointed out, the roads were built for timber extraction. As rather be fishing said there is always the odd a hole, but for the most part the truck drivers are good guys, professional and most importantly trying to earn a living in a safe manner.

goatdancer
04-11-2020, 03:36 PM
I've had more issues with highway rigs than off road rigs.

Salix
04-11-2020, 04:10 PM
I love these types to threads. There are definitely good and bad drivers in the cities, on the highways and in the bush.
I’m a logging supervisor for a larger forest company. The companies (forestry and mining) do build and maintain the industrial rds for their use, but they are also for the use of all the public that want to use them when on public land. When a forest company is using a rd then the public that wants to also use that rd should be aware that there are dangers associated with that, mainly big ass trucks that can run you over. It is always very appreciated when public users do have radios and abide by the rules for the industrial road/ work site.
99% of the time the truck drivers I deal are great, they respect other vehicles and use the radio to call and slow down, but there is always that 1% that might be having a bad day or is just an ass. It’s no different than driving on any other road in the city, highway or bush.
Close calls and accidents happen, but we who are out there are trying to reduce and eliminate them. It’s a challenge though when mixing the public into a work situation. Even as a worker in the industry with years of experience and having a radio I’ve been run off the rd. I know how it can feel. I’ve also had to investigate many incidents where logging trucks have had accidents or close calls with other vehicles sharing the rds. Some have been very serious but thankfully not too bad.

the_longwalker
04-11-2020, 05:52 PM
I run a 9 axle ore truck that weighs 160,000 pounds loaded. I run down the middle of these roads because they are crowned for water runoff and it keeps my pup from sliding into a ditch. These roads radio controlled and are signed complete with frequency posted. I have the right of way. There is a reason for this. I can't stop my truck on gravel in 2 truck lengths @105 ft long. What do you think is going to happen when you come around a corner and my unit is right there?

You get flattenend because I'm not going to go off the road and kill myself because you're an idiot.

Downtown
04-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Sorry Bud, If you as an experienced class 1 Driver don't slow down enough and cant stop your Rig no matter what size in a Blind Corner and Kill someone you probably will be facing serious Jail time.

Cheers

Ride Red
04-11-2020, 06:44 PM
Sorry Bud, If you as an experienced class 1 Driver don't slow down enough and cant stop your Rig no matter what size in a Blind Corner and Kill someone you probably will be facing serious Jail time.

Cheers

He just told you that he can’t make it stop in 2 truck lengths x 105’. You obviously don’t know anything about these trucks. The extreme weight isn’t conducive to stopping on a dime no matter how many brakes they have. Highway trucks aren’t any different. Everyone should have to ride with a truck driver for a day just for the first hand experience before getting a license.

the_longwalker
04-11-2020, 06:46 PM
He just told you that he can’t make it stop in 2 truck lengths x 105’. You obviously don’t know anything about these trucks. The extreme weight isn’t conducive to stopping on a dime no matter how many brakes they have. Highway trucks aren’t any different. Everyone should have to ride with a truck driver for a day just for the first hand experience before getting a license.
this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

adriaticum
04-11-2020, 06:49 PM
Myself, I've never seen a black owl.

S.W.A.T.
04-11-2020, 08:27 PM
this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

Going 60km/hr in a empty pickup cant stop in 2 vehicle lengths but yet the ignorant public expects loaded trucks to stop and get out of the way. Hahaha ya right. See you in the ditch

HarryToolips
04-11-2020, 08:50 PM
Lol yup...I drive a loaded dump truck occasionally at work and my biggest piss off is when pulling up to a red light and you've calculated your stopping distance and all of a sudden some ass hat cuts in front of you and expects you to just stop...I couldn't imagine that scenario with a much heavier rig...

igojuone
04-11-2020, 09:16 PM
I drive gravel truck something chip van in oil/gas industry up north and I’ll say there’s bad drivers on both sides. I don’t know how many times I’ve warned others about pickups without radios, it’s the courteous thing to do which most truckers are, they don’t make money sitting on the side of the road after smashing into a hunter or fisherman.
Even though about starting a Radio 101 course as some guys are terrible at calling kms. That being said the heavy trucks have the right of way, I can pull a pickup out of the ditch not knowing I’m hooked to it but can a pickup pull a heavy out of the ditch, not a chance.
If everyone would drive like there is oncoming traffic all would be good but in the years I’ve been driving I can only think of 2 collisions involving multiple vehicles and that’s driving close to 200K kms a year.
Buy a radio, it’s still no guarantee but it’s better then not having one.

igojuone
04-11-2020, 09:23 PM
Lol yup...I drive a loaded dump truck occasionally at work and my biggest piss off is when pulling up to a red light and you've calculated your stopping distance and all of a sudden some ass hat cuts in front of you and expects you to just stop...I couldn't imagine that scenario with a much heavier rig...

I agree with you, many times I’ve said a new driver should spend a week riding with a trucker before getting a license. I’m sure I pissed off a few trucks in my day before getting my Class One license.

Gateholio
04-12-2020, 12:16 AM
There are lots of roads around here that are active for awhile and then non active. Plus lots of tourists. I don't have a radio, so what I do when I encounter a logging truck is to just GET THE F@CK out of the way. I'm less interested in my "right" to be on the road as I am interested in self preservation.

I drove trucks for a few years, they don't stop on a dime. Do your best to self preserve, don't worry too much about your rights.

Red_Mist
04-12-2020, 12:31 AM
There are lots of roads around here that are active for awhile and then non active. Plus lots of tourists. I don't have a radio, so what I do when I encounter a logging truck is to just GET THE F@CK out of the way. I'm less interested in my "right" to be on the road as I am interested in self preservation.

I drove trucks for a few years, they don't stop on a dime. Do your best to self preserve, don't worry too much about your rights.

^^^ Agree, this is also kinda how i see it. One time we drove up to a logging truck that dumped its logs in a corner. I asked him how long ago that had happened , he replied a minute before we pulled up. Sometimes you just need to be a bit lucky !

Hunter gatherer
04-12-2020, 02:39 AM
Quit your whining about who should do what and who has the right of way. On back roads ,size matters . The bigger truck has the right of way. Loggers are some of the best drivers out there , some not so good , bad apple in every bunch. If your really concerned for your safety get a radio or drive with the attitude there is a loaded truck around every corner.

338win mag
04-12-2020, 07:51 AM
Resource vehicles have the right of way, to think otherwise is ridiculous, they are called resource roads. Dip schitts are found in all industries and business, but logging truck drivers are generally the best drivers out there. I worked for a logging contractor that had 5 guys who drove for 35-40yrs and never had an accident.

If anyone has trouble encountering a loaded logging truck, then they are going to be in real trouble when they come across a low bed with a Cat on board, the blade turns into a giant can opener, they don't/can't stop. They are twice as wide as a loaded logging truck if they are moving between sites on a resource road.
Get a handheld radio for $250 and learn how to use it.

Ride Red
04-12-2020, 07:56 AM
We used to pull over up the back of Chehailis/Elbow lake way back when they were running the 14’ wide off highway bunks coming down to Harrison Mills. Now those were big trucks.

Big Lew
04-12-2020, 08:12 AM
I've used all manner of fsr and private industrial roads extensively for 50 years and only can recall
a couple of incidents where I almost got in an accident. I always drive on roads that show recent
heavy truck usage as if there's one coming my way at any time. I normally use a radio but there are
times the odd truck driver gets complacent or is too lazy to call his location and direction. As an example,
I was following an empty logging truck heading in and the both of us almost got wiped out by a loaded
truck from another company coming around a corner like a bat from hell...he had not called at any time
as he made his way out over several miles. I will stop, shut off my motor, open windows, and listen for a
couple of minutes to try and hear if a truck is coming toward me on a narrow section of road. I always take
the extreme far right when going around corners. I'm always looking for an escape route...it's not only the
heavy trucks to look out for, it's the regular car and pickup speeders, including atv riders as well. Even on wide
straight sections I will pull over as best as what's safe to allow the loaded trucks as much room as possible.
95% of the drivers I get to talk to say they really appreciate the courtesy. I've driven heavy commercial trucks
for 46 years so understand the frustration they have about 'self righteous' and unthinking recreational drivers
wandering all over the road, stopping on sharp corners to look at the view, even getting out to take pictures etc,
and those hunters that go chase an animal leaving their truck in the middle of the road, doors open in a place
2 cars couldn't pass. In a nut shell, drive with caution as if there's danger coming your way at any time, be courteous,
and obey the rules of the road, including using a radio, and your chances of a safe journey are pretty darn good.

Downtown
04-12-2020, 10:01 AM
I drive gravel truck something chip van in oil/gas industry up north and I’ll say there’s bad drivers on both sides. I don’t know how many times I’ve warned others about pickups without radios, it’s the courteous thing to do which most truckers are, they don’t make money sitting on the side of the road after smashing into a hunter or fisherman.
Even though about starting a Radio 101 course as some guys are terrible at calling kms. That being said the heavy trucks have the right of way, I can pull a pickup out of the ditch not knowing I’m hooked to it but can a pickup pull a heavy out of the ditch, not a chance.
If everyone would drive like there is oncoming traffic all would be good but in the years I’ve been driving I can only think of 2 collisions involving multiple vehicles and that’s driving close to 200K kms a year.
Buy a radio, it’s still no guarantee but it’s better then not having one.

Been driving Nitrogen Pumpers, Tankers and hauling Queens and Kings seasonally and Accident free since 2005 in the Oil & Gas Industry myself.

If everyone would drive like there is oncoming traffic all would be good, you said it.

Cheers

HikerHunter
04-12-2020, 10:04 AM
LMAO. Logging trucks have the right of way. Period. Not only that but when i was trying to find the town of Tulameen, I had a logger truck show me the way and keep me safe from other loggers so yeah no quams here.

joshbazz
04-12-2020, 10:07 AM
Any recommendations on where to get a decent 2 way radio, as well as a link to Radio protocol for us new guys?

Thanks!

TyTy
04-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Ok. You guys read before replying, and connect the brain before answering, assuming I have no radio... assuming I wasn't responsible...and some say that I should stay at home for one month. and save for a two way radio, I always said there is no better way to show Your stupidity than assuming.

Now lets go to the facts, FSR are public land, this is precisely why is recommended to use a radio, if You want to stay home do it, but not for one month, stay there forever. now if there is a communication and I do every effort to step aside, and no matter My efforts and no matter how wide the road is, they come like a tank close to My vehicle despite that I am there waiting outside the road, they still do. Radio on Hand.

Now keep assuming and attracting more peers to help You with Your assuming. and Yes Ride Red, Read/learn so You don't look like and idiot!

Once you realize they are hauling on the FSR, how about making a better plan mitigate the potential of an incident with a logging truck..... try a different road.

1.) You have the privilege to use the road, not the right.
2.) The logging company will have a road use permit or agreement - they have the right, and the right of way.
3.) The general public create un-numbered hazards to active logging operations through their ignorance. This is why gates go up.

You posts show your ignorance

TyTy
04-12-2020, 11:55 AM
Any recommendations on where to get a decent 2 way radio, as well as a link to Radio protocol for us new guys?

Thanks!

I bought an iCom for about $400, programming included.

Canyon 2-Way Radio
Mike ~ Hope, BC

or

Freeway Radio
Mt. Lehman, Abbotsford, BC

knothead
04-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Just a question, why so many here saying the logging companies have all the rights to the roads they build until they put up a gate?

S.W.A.T.
04-12-2020, 12:58 PM
Just a question, why so many here saying the logging companies have all the rights to the roads they build until they put up a gate?

Because they are resource roads, under the user agreement they are responsible for the maintenance. Coming from the north I don't understand the gate thing as we don't have many.

KodiakHntr
04-12-2020, 01:03 PM

Thats the difference between Resource Roads on the mainland (crown land, very few gates) and the logging roads on Vancouver Island (private property, lots of gates).

TyTy
04-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Main reason gates go up is because of vandalism, and this occurs most on the popular FSRs closest to cities. As far as gates on South Island/private property holdings their insurance provider may require them to have in place (I am familiar with the islands TW/IT private land areas and their the allowed access).

Opinionated Ol Phart
04-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Thank you Citori54...... My hunting partner had to hit the ditch once on a very narrow spur. The other driver backed up and chained him out of the ditch. Spooky for both of them, but no hard feelings as sometimes chit happens.

CranePete
04-12-2020, 10:45 PM
Odd.....Blackowl has gone, um, black.

BlackOwL
04-13-2020, 10:11 AM
I run a 9 axle ore truck that weighs 160,000 pounds loaded. I run down the middle of these roads because they are crowned for water runoff and it keeps my pup from sliding into a ditch. These roads radio controlled and are signed complete with frequency posted. I have the right of way. There is a reason for this. I can't stop my truck on gravel in 2 truck lengths @105 ft long. What do you think is going to happen when you come around a corner and my unit is right there?

You get flattenend because I'm not going to go off the road and kill myself because you're an idiot.

Nobody is asking You to stop, idiot, reducing your speed in a controlled downhill gives the incoming traffic more margin to get out of your way and continue without incident,
I know your mind set is to kill, which makes you the idiot, you and your boyfriends have been bitching about your right of way, who the **** is taking that right from you, idiot.
with that mind set and low criteria, that you can kill because you have a heavy truck that you can't control, then don't drive and stop bitching, or you can slow down and control your rig.

with all this you have proven my point, drivers like you who are supposed to be professionals, but you admit how hard is to control a heavy, you need education, training and think seriously that you can kill a whole family just because you are to lazy to slow down and to admit that every life has value.
You are kids with big toys and that makes you prepotent, but some angry driver can follow you and you might not make it home. just think of that, you won't be so big without your toy.

I just don't know if some guys are mentally challenged to understand a post, educating yourself to respect lives and doing your part makes life easier.

S.W.A.T.
04-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Nobody is asking You to stop, idiot, reducing your speed in a controlled downhill gives the incoming traffic more margin to get out of your way and continue without incident,
I know your mind set is to kill, which makes you the idiot, you and your boyfriends have been bitching about your right of way, who the **** is taking that right from you, idiot.
with that mind set and low criteria, that you can kill because you have a heavy truck that you can't control, then don't drive and stop bitching, or you can slow down and control your rig.

with all this you have proven my point, drivers like you who are supposed to be professionals, but you admit how hard is to control a heavy, you need education, training and think seriously that you can kill a whole family just because you are to lazy to slow down and to admit that every life has value.
You are kids with big toys and that makes you prepotent, but some angry driver can follow you and you might not make it home. just think of that, you won't be so big without your toy.

I just don't know if some guys are mentally challenged to understand a post, educating yourself to respect lives and doing your part makes life easier.

Are you educating yourself to the use and practices of resource roads? Are you doing everything right? Are you using a radio and practicing the right of way procedures?

Resorting to name calling looses all validity in a argument. Like I said before we do what we can to move or slow down but when I have to make a decision between me and you, your going to loose that argument of the road.

UkeeJ
04-13-2020, 10:54 AM
BO judging by the tone of your reply's I can see you are instigating responses pretty funny. But if you operate your vehicle while off-road like your key board on this forum, I can see why you feel "picked on" by the big bad industrial traffic. Point to the doll where the truck tried to hurt you..

BlackOwL
04-13-2020, 11:10 AM
BO judging by the tone of your reply's I can see you are instigating responses pretty funny. But if you operate your vehicle while off-road like your key board on this forum, I can see why you feel "picked on" by the big bad industrial traffic. Point to the doll where the truck tried to hurt you..

My tone is accordingly and against the insults received and I responded in kind.
Deforming, twisting facts doesn't favour anyone either.
Digressing and judging Me and not those who insulted Me, makes you one sided.
comparing my tone with my driving, and you not reading that I make every effort possible to avoid an accident, and you and others ignoring or not believing but justifying and claiming that I should shut up, speak volumes of you and your peers.

The End.

mike31154
04-13-2020, 11:23 AM

Thanks!

Hey josh I purchased an 8 channel Kenwood at VMR Communications on Waddington drive here in Vernon. I'm sure there is/are similar business(es) in Kelowna. It is not programmable in the field as Industry Canada policy dictates. VMR programmed the channels for me & technically I have to take it back to them for reprogramming at a fee. Any business selling these can advise you of requirements with regard to licensing & legal use. I maintain a license for my radio which costs about $50 per annum. Small price to pay for added safety. I backcountry ski tour & it also comes in handy on those trips as most lodges use VHF as their primary means of communication.

A number of years ago I purchased a set of Baofengs which have many more channels. The 8 channel Kenwood is better quality & was costly in comparison, but I've found 8 channels insufficient during my travels.

Here's a link to get you started on info re protocols etc.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications

As others have mentioned, radio is no absolute guarantee with regard to safety. I had to take a snowbank one winter going ski touring up Gorge Creek FSR when a loaded truck came around a corner. I had been calling my position but driver radioed to base he didn't hear my calls. I heard no calls from him prior to the incident. Base confirmed to the driver that I had been calling. I was able to back out & continue, close call. No hard feelings, I was simply glad there was no collision as I would have certainly lost that scenario. Certain activities that we undertake carry a higher risk. It's in our own best interest to take responsibility & do what we can to stay safe.

Yelling & cussing at BCWF to 'educate' professional drivers will accomplish what exactly? In my experience, encounters with truckers on FSRs have been professional, no asshats to date. Clearly there are some yahoos out there, on both sides, but so far so good in my travels.

adriaticum
04-13-2020, 11:32 AM
What happened to black owl, did he get hit by a truck?

Keta1969
04-13-2020, 11:49 AM
My tone is accordingly and against the insults received and I responded in kind.
comparing my tone with my driving, and you not reading that I make every effort possible to avoid an accident, and you and others ignoring or not believing but justifying and claiming that I should shut up, speak volumes of you and your peers.

The End.

No offense but you sound like you have anger management problems which usually doesn't lead to calm reasonable discussion or good driving.

blacklab
04-13-2020, 12:30 PM
If you're afraid of the bush stay home. Pretty simple.

koothunter
04-13-2020, 12:31 PM
I work in the bush, and have for 14 years. So many weekend warriors/general public don't know proper radio protocol. #1. Don't be a twat on the radio! A lot of people use the road channel as a BS channel, and chat all day dropping F bombs and other foul language. It makes it difficult to know where trucks are when it's busy, and if I go for a drive in the bush with my family I don't want to hear that crap! #2. Calling KM's isn't just so you know where others are, it's so you know when to get totally clear of the road. There are pullouts built for that purpose. They give plenty of room to clear all industrial traffic including 190,000 lb ore trucks or lowbeds with equipment on. The "loaded" vehicle always has the right of way, usually the one calling "down". If I am a pickup heading "down" and there is an "empty" logging truck heading up, technically I have the RoW, but I try not to be a douche in that situation and will pull over for the empty truck. Proper protocol is to GTFO of the way before the loaded truck gets there, not just slow down and expect to get past. The big trucks should be able to stay in the middle of the road. #3. As a courtesy, most vehicles with a radio will let each other know when they meet a vehicle without a radio.

Nothing is more annoying than on a Friday afternoon there are a pile of people heading to the bush with $100K camping rigs and whatever else, but no radio.

Dannybuoy
04-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Well said koothunter ... I was wondering when someone was going to post the correct use of radio's and what pullout's are for ...

KodiakHntr
04-13-2020, 12:52 PM

]Nobody is asking You to stop, idiot, reducing your speed in a controlled downhill gives the incoming traffic more margin to get out of your way and continue without incident, [/FONT]

]My tone is accordingly and against the insults received and I responded in kind.[/COLOR]

The End.

No offense but you sound like you have anger management problems which usually doesn't lead to calm reasonable discussion or good driving.

Hmmmm…..Methinks Keta nailed it.

Again, is your only reason here to squawk and shit on people, or are you going to explain why you think that drivers on resource roads are in the wrong and you are in the right?

And there is an old saying that seems to fit here that you may benefit from.... "If you meet and as*hole during the day, you probably met an as*hole. If everyone you meet during the day is an as*hole, maybe you aren't the one who met an as*hole...…"

Just sayin'.

adriaticum
04-13-2020, 02:01 PM
BrownSeaGull, you mean the kind that gets dragged through the ocean prior to entering a sewage treatment plant?

Big Lew
04-13-2020, 02:25 PM
Well said koothunter ... I was wondering when someone was going to post the correct use of radio's and what pullout's are for ...

Good post koothunter....and x2 Dannybuoy!

ncurrie
04-13-2020, 02:45 PM
Do you know what FSR stands for? Forest service roads. Before you start complaining about someone doing their job I would ask to go for a ride in one and see it from their perspective before you jump to conclusions and start writing letters. It is actually illegal for anyone to be on those roads with out a radio. But like I said hop in and go for a ride first. I guarantee your tone will change very fast.

CranePete
04-13-2020, 03:03 PM
As a crane operator that has hauled many oversized loads into the bush, i thought I’d mention that the loaded trucks can be hauling from any direction. Also, low beds can and will haul loads point to point in the bush that would normally require 2 pilot cars on a public road. The blade on a D-10 will do terrible things to, well, everything. Get a programmed VHF radio and learn how to use it. Stay on your side of the road. If you need to park, park WELL off the road. (I once encountered a pickup blocking the road back of the Gang. Picked him up and put him where he should have been.) Drive with caution at all times, you may meet your doppelgänger out there.

hawk-i
04-13-2020, 03:26 PM
They should make it law, that you can NOT travel on an active FSR without a proper radio...might save some "EC" (entitled citidiot) his/her life!

But thats just my 2 cents worth on the subject....:)

northernbc
04-13-2020, 03:38 PM
I did not think it was a law for public to have a radio on far road. Where is this found. I do have a radio and use it always. But just did not think it was a public must.

KodiakHntr
04-13-2020, 03:53 PM
Wellllll thats not exactly correct. You as a member of the public can legally be on a FSR without a radio.
If you are an industrial user you need to have a road use agreement with the primary road user who holds the road permit (and is legally responsible for the condition of the road - ie maintenance), and as part of your road use agreement it will state that you need to have a radio and a radio licence and USE IT, and if you are found to not be following the conditions of your road use agreement (no radio, not calling correctly) then your road use agreement can be recinded.

rocksteady
04-13-2020, 03:55 PM
I did not think it was a law for public to have a radio on far road. Where is this found. I do have a radio and use it always. But just did not think it was a public must.

You are correct, no radio, follow road protocol- get behind someone with a radio

the_longwalker
04-13-2020, 08:03 PM
On a more positive note, I have lost count of how many pickups I have pulled out of the ditch and got them on their way on the backroads and Hwy 37. I'm an a**hole like that :-)

LBM
04-14-2020, 06:40 AM
I work in the bush, and have for 14 years. So many weekend warriors/general public don't know proper radio protocol. #1. Don't be a twat on the radio! A lot of people use the road channel as a BS channel, and chat all day dropping F bombs and other foul language. It makes it difficult to know where trucks are when it's busy, and if I go for a drive in the bush with my family I don't want to hear that crap! #2. Calling KM's isn't just so you know where others are, it's so you know when to get totally clear of the road. There are pullouts built for that purpose. They give plenty of room to clear all industrial traffic including 190,000 lb ore trucks or lowbeds with equipment on. The "loaded" vehicle always has the right of way, usually the one calling "down". If I am a pickup heading "down" and there is an "empty" logging truck heading up, technically I have the RoW, but I try not to be a douche in that situation and will pull over for the empty truck. Proper protocol is to GTFO of the way before the loaded truck gets there, not just slow down and expect to get past. The big trucks should be able to stay in the middle of the road. #3. As a courtesy, most vehicles with a radio will let each other know when they meet a vehicle without a radio.

Nothing is more annoying than on a Friday afternoon there are a pile of people heading to the bush with $100K camping rigs and whatever else, but no radio.

I hear what your saying but funny thing most I hear using the road channel for BSing is the truck drivers, and no of a few cases where 2 truckers have had accidents with each other for talking on the radio, have also had them calling wrong km and roads. not a fan of others calling for vehicles with out radios unless they are together and really hate when truckers are on same road and are many kms apart but front trucker will say its all clear inbetween them, there is always lots of spur
roads were another vehicle can pop out of on to many road.
As some one else said always drive as there is some one else coming.

Salty
04-14-2020, 07:27 PM
Black Owl next time you venture on a resource road you really should read the signs. Things like logging trucks have the right of way, you must yield to logging trucks are in bold print if you need more info than that read the smaller print, if you're still confused maybe look up the Forest Act or the Mining Act which ever the case may be. And btw the BCWF is not your personal assistant and setting industrial traffic laws isn't in their mandate.

nitro hunter
04-14-2020, 11:05 PM
So the rules or SOP for my area go like this-You drive to road and weather conditions and assume that there is a logging truck around every corner,A radio is a devise that is used to help you but not to be relied on as they can fail and often do,That is why you drive to road and weather conditions.If there is b.s going on,On the radio and you need to call your km marker,Walk on them and make your call at least the vehicle that is a few km away will hear you and get out of the way.And for you guys running cheaper radios at least get a noise cancelling microphone,Nothing worse than trying to make out what someone is trying to say.One more tid bit-First vehicle on the bridge has the right of way.Last tid bit-There isnt a judge or a court in the land that will rule in your favor if the excuse you use for an accident is,I never heard them make there call onthe radio,You are suppose to drive to road and weather conditions,Same goes for ICBC.

S.W.A.T.
04-15-2020, 06:40 AM
So the rules or SOP for my area go like this-You drive to road and weather conditions and assume that there is a logging truck around every corner,A radio is a devise that is used to help you but not to be relied on as they can fail and often do,That is why you drive to road and weather conditions.If there is b.s going on,On the radio and you need to call your km marker,Walk on them and make your call at least the vehicle that is a few km away will hear you and get out of the way.And for you guys running cheaper radios at least get a noise cancelling microphone,Nothing worse than trying to make out what someone is trying to say.One more tid bit-First vehicle on the bridge has the right of way.Last tid bit-There isnt a judge or a court in the land that will rule in your favor if the excuse you use for an accident is,I never heard them make there call onthe radio,You are suppose to drive to road and weather conditions,Same goes for ICBC.

Yup^^^^^^

Very few radio controlled roads, usually only on private land like a mine site. Anything on crown land is typically radio assist.

joshbazz
04-15-2020, 01:38 PM
I bought an iCom for about $400, programming included.

Canyon 2-Way Radio
Mike ~ Hope, BC

or

Freeway Radio
Mt. Lehman, Abbotsford, BC

Cool, thanks I might check those out, though a little far from Kelowna. Will look in the classifieds...

Hey josh I purchased an 8 channel Kenwood at VMR Communications on Waddington drive here in Vernon. I'm sure there is/are similar business(es) in Kelowna. It is not programmable in the field as Industry Canada policy dictates. VMR programmed the channels for me & technically I have to take it back to them for reprogramming at a fee. Any business selling these can advise you of requirements with regard to licensing & legal use. I maintain a license for my radio which costs about $50 per annum. Small price to pay for added safety. I backcountry ski tour & it also comes in handy on those trips as most lodges use VHF as their primary means of communication.

A number of years ago I purchased a set of Baofengs which have many more channels. The 8 channel Kenwood is better quality & was costly in comparison, but I've found 8 channels insufficient during my travels.

Here's a link to get you started on info re protocols etc.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications

As others have mentioned, radio is no absolute guarantee with regard to safety. I had to take a snowbank one winter going ski touring up Gorge Creek FSR when a loaded truck came around a corner. I had been calling my position but driver radioed to base he didn't hear my calls. I heard no calls from him prior to the incident. Base confirmed to the driver that I had been calling. I was able to back out & continue, close call. No hard feelings, I was simply glad there was no collision as I would have certainly lost that scenario. Certain activities that we undertake carry a higher risk. It's in our own best interest to take responsibility & do what we can to stay safe.

Yelling & cussing at BCWF to 'educate' professional drivers will accomplish what exactly? In my experience, encounters with truckers on FSRs have been professional, no asshats to date. Clearly there are some yahoos out there, on both sides, but so far so good in my travels.

Tanks for the info, I'm going to have to dive into this as this is all Greek to me right now, didn't realize there was a license as well... I'm hoping I can dig up something used for a good price (under $200)... but don't even understand what programming it means, so will have to learn a little more before I buy something..

Thank you!

Bugle M In
04-15-2020, 04:21 PM
We used radios last year, pulled over to the side as the big trucks came close, and they appreciated it.
Made driving the roads a lot more enjoyable.
We quickly called out are km, each one, in and out.
If your are in a pickup, say pickup, if its a suv, say suv, so they know when they go by you.

But yes, there will be other trucks that dont use the radio, so you still need to use caution the whole time.

It does seem though, that a lot more back road users do have the radios, and are listening and calling.
I guess that is the advantage about radios like baofeng being cheap enough that a lot more folks are buying them.

Also, we did have 1 logging truck come around a corner, and he hadnt been calling his km, or very little.
You would have thought us calling ours would have given him the heads up, but he looked surprised.
But, only that one time all week, otherwise, it was great to have the radios.

mike31154
04-15-2020, 10:51 PM
Tanks for the info, I'm going to have to dive into this as this is all Greek to me right now, didn't realize there was a license as well... I'm hoping I can dig up something used for a good price (under $200)... but don't even understand what programming it means, so will have to learn a little more before I buy something..
Thank you!

As it stands now there are 35 different channels assigned to 'Resource Roads' in BC, RR01-RR35. If you have an 8 channel radio, depending on your travels, it may need to be reprogrammed with the proper frequency for the road you are traveling on. Use of user programmable radios is not permitted. As I mentioned in my previous post, technically I have to take my 8 channel Kenwood to the shop I purchased it from to have the channel frequencies reprogrammed. Many of the Baofengs are user programmable, therefore not permitted. They also have well over 100 channel capacity, so you can have all the RR channels on there, no need to program in the field.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

J_T
04-16-2020, 06:04 AM
I followed this thread. Didn't respond, as i didn't want to be judged for beating up the OP. It would help if the poster also gave his provincial location. Too often people have something to share or resolve on here, but without the location, it's often difficult to put things into context. Quite a difference between logging on the Island (private land), logging in the cariboo and north, and the Kootenay. Koothunter has provided the best overview. The road may be on crown land, but the Licencee holds the Road Use Permit. Basically meaning they are responsible for the road and it's theirs to use. A second user can obtain a road use agreement from the permittee which generally means they are prepared to share in the maintenance of the road. But recreation users are always at the graciousness of the industrial user. Abuse the privilege, and roads will be shut to recreational use.

I purchased a multi channel Tad radio a while ago, and it does provide an additional element of safety when traveling the backroads. So does finding a trucker pulled over and stopping to talk to them about the number of vehicles to expect and time of day when the road is most in use.

happyhunter
04-16-2020, 06:54 AM
The road may be on crown land, but the Licencee holds the Road Use Permit. Basically meaning they are responsible for the road and it's theirs to use. A second user can obtain a road use agreement from the permittee which generally means they are prepared to share in the maintenance of the road. But recreation users are always at the graciousness of the industrial user. Abuse the privilege, and roads will be shut to recreational use..

Not quite correct JT. The secondary user is also required to get a Road Use Permit from the ministry. Then the ministry will determine one user to be the primary, all others will be secondary. Users will usually then enter into some kind of road use agreement regarding maint cost. This is only applicable to FSRs. Industrial users may also hold Road Permits for spur or branch roads. No RUP for those but there are maint responsibilities for those roads too.

Redthies
06-01-2020, 02:33 PM
If anyone has trouble encountering a loaded logging truck, then they are going to be in real trouble when they come across a low bed with a Cat on board, the blade turns into a giant can opener, they don't/can't stop. They are twice as wide as a loaded logging truck if they are moving between sites on a resource road.
Get a handheld radio for $250 and learn how to use it.

I have a class 1 and used to run a crane company specializing in off pavement mountain transport. I’ve had two incidents in my time.

One was a pickup coming down around a blind corner that I had to cut to get my 80’ long load around. She had no radio, even though this was not on a public/resource road, but a private industry road where radios are 100% mandatory. She tried her best to get into reverse and out of the way, but the deck winches on my truck hooked the front fender of her truck and opened it up like a can opener along the drivers side. I couldn’t stop where it happened, so I kept driving. Other than a fender there was no damage and she waved for me to carry on. Her company base was right beside mine in the valley so we had a de-brief/beer/laugh about it later. If she had a radio , she would have known I was coming uphill as I had called out .5 km earlier.

The other one was a “me rolling my crane truck down the side of a mountain, or hoe operator’s truck getting a dent” type situation. He got a dent...

Radios work. Use one! Technically, you must be licensed to use vhf radios, and the user programable ones from Baofeng etc that lots of people on here have are illegal even with a license. If you take them in and get channels programmed, and the keypad locked, they are then legal.

Citori54
06-01-2020, 03:31 PM
The operation I worked in to start my forestry career ran off highway trucks - Pacifics and Hayes, with 16 foot bunks. It was amazing what some drivers would pull near these things. I've seen them pull out to pass a loaded truck with an empty barreling at them. I can tell you two of those trucks don't leave a lot of room on a logging road. For a time we ran the Butler Brothers "roller skate" off highway truck which was a two bunk off highway ruck with a small cab sitting out over the front wheels (Google it for a laugh). I was following it one afternoon and a tourist from Germany was coming the other way. The driver freaked out just at the sight of the loaded monster and didn't attempt to drive by but drove straight into the weeds:-). It always amazes me that some drivers expect large rigs to be able to turn, stop and otherwise handle like a light truck or car.

338win mag
06-01-2020, 04:37 PM
Even smart people do stupid things....we were logging and the guy running the loader blew a hose so headed into town for parts, got about 5km from the site and ran into an empty logging truck, totaled the bosses brand new pickup.
He ran into a hayes truck, so....no damage to it but abit of a scratch on the bumper, dude in the pickup should of had his radio on.

Downwindtracker2
06-01-2020, 06:03 PM
I've never had a problem with logging truck drivers in over 50 years, they have been both courteous and careful. I do know enough to get the H out of the way. Oil patch drivers on the other hand , and this is on a BC FSR, twice tried to run me off the road .No moving over even a little bit. After that I would certainly recommend a radio and have you passenger hang out the window with a rifle. Then we can all meet St.Peter at the same time.

guntech
06-01-2020, 06:38 PM
The big trucks that bother me are on the pavement travelling well over the speed limit...

I was always very cautious of the logging trucks on the back roads... never had a problem... I would slow down and get over as far as I could and even stop... no sense to make them put a wheel close to the softer edge...

KodiakHntr
06-01-2020, 06:51 PM
I've never had a problem with logging truck drivers in over 50 years, they have been both courteous and careful. I do know enough to get the H out of the way. Oil patch drivers on the other hand , and this is on a BC FSR, twice tried to run me off the road .No moving over even a little bit. After that I would certainly recommend a radio and have you passenger hang out the window with a rifle. Then we can all meet St.Peter at the same time.

The one thing with some of those patch tankers to remember, is that catching a soft edge and tipping over isn't quite the same as dumping the pup on a load of logs. With some of those tankers it won't matter if your passenger is out the window with a rifle or not, all 3 of you are gonna gasp your last right quickly if a tank full of nasty ruptures.

The main thing I have noticed between logs and patch is that a log truck driver is a lot more used to soft road edges and has a higher risk tolerance for getting close due to lower risk of having your meat eaten off your bones in the event of a slow tip over when meeting someone unexpectedly.

Downwindtracker2
06-01-2020, 07:51 PM
You are saying logging truck drivers are better drivers. Yeah, what you say does make sense, we were on gravel after all. There might have been corners, too. No tanks, a rig move, just A-holes.

KodiakHntr
06-01-2020, 08:36 PM
Well, after a dozen years in oil country from what I see, the guys that drive log trucks do it because they can. The guys who are in the patch do that because they can't haul logs...

Patch roads are built to a way higher subgrade standard, more gravel, wider, usually hit with a compactor, etc. Logging roads have the stumps knocked out and maybe a skiff of material on top. Berms and shoulders are soft. Pretty common for a log truck to pull away from the loader and have the road edge slump under them and tip a trailer. On a lease site that just doesn't happen.

But don't get me wrong, I've had "chats" with truck loggers over the radio about not calling km's or bullshitting too much on road channels, and I've had "chats" over the radio with patch guys offering to discuss driving habits face to face while I pull their road use agreements so I can discuss that with their prime user.

Treed
06-01-2020, 08:36 PM
I’ve been on logging roads my entire career. If I’m on the radio, I have had very few problems with logging and especially mining trucks. Wish I could say the same for moronic hunters driving blind with no idea if the are in or out, up or down, loaded (too often!) or empty. That’s if they even have a radio. I’ve had morons shoot down the dead end spur that my truck is parked on and scare the hell out of me and been scoped in cutblocks while wearing a red cruisers vest with hi vis. The logging truck drivers aren’t in the bush for a week or two, they are there 5 or more days a week, for as many months as there is work. Be respectful while you play - it’s their workplace

Downwindtracker2
06-01-2020, 09:42 PM
That road I was on was a BC FSR ! Near the Alberta border.

My dad grew up in the interior. I remember as kid, this was in '56 , going over the Monashee , from Lumby to Edgewood. It was a mostly single lane gravel highway .This was a provincial highway, no less. It went up and over instead of down the valley like the new highway does. When we came to a corner, there were lots, Dad would honk the horn to warn oncoming cars. Then one would have to back up to wide spot. There was a switch back so tight, dad had to stop edge back and work around it. The thing I remember most was looking at eye level at the tops of big trees. The car was a '55 Dodge

Danny_29
06-02-2020, 12:23 AM
The only issue I've had with a logging truck was one passing me on a blind corner, crossing the double solid going mach 10...was furious. Possibly one of the top five most dangerous things I've ever seen done on a road. There is stupid people in every profession.

338win mag
06-03-2020, 06:54 AM
The only issue I've had with a logging truck was one passing me on a blind corner, crossing the double solid going mach 10...was furious. Possibly one of the top five most dangerous things I've ever seen done on a road. There is stupid people in every profession.
Yup.....you got a radio?

abbyfireguy
06-07-2020, 09:16 AM
I have spent over 40 years hunting and fishing using FSRs and any gravel,road that’s there.
about 20 years ago I took a ham radio course and have had a well tuned radio in my truck.
It’s very easy to get the list of RR frequencies and program them into your radio.
I am also one that drives like a logging truck is around every corner.. The worst is towing a travel trailer into a Forest Service site
to camp... Once back to a single pickup,avoiding becoming a speed bump is easy.
Every heavy truck I have encountered has been appreciative of coming around a corner and seeing me well over stopped in a pullout.
I am also able to transmit my location up or down if on a busy RR.. I enjoy being a member of a local ham radio club.

guntech
06-14-2020, 09:15 AM
Where I hunted the radio was over rated... I had a good one with the correct frequencies and the vast majority of times it broadcast anything it was mostly static I had trouble understanding...

Bustercluck
06-14-2020, 09:32 AM
Where I hunted the radio was over rated... I had a good one with the correct frequencies and the vast majority of times it broadcast anything it was mostly static I had trouble understanding...
I used to hate trying to understand anybody with a 2 stroke Detroit in their truck. 90% of what you could hear was the engine.

Bustercluck
06-14-2020, 09:38 AM
I have noticed on the island it seems like there’s some standardizing to km markers and signage. Everywhere I worked it was whatever road, followed by km and headed towards the dump (in) and headed away from the dump (out). Now it seems like it’s road followed by km and headed up or down. This seems a lot simpler than other setups.

I worked at another place that used bridges, creeks or visual markers like certain trees. I didn’t know how far I was away from any of these markers, so when asked where I was I used to say something stupid like “I’m by the stump with the salamander on it”.

mike31154
06-14-2020, 09:51 AM
Here ya go, info, educate thyself & stay safe...

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications/channel-maps

http://www.bcforestsafe.org/node/2878

.... or do whatever you please.... bitch & complain.... don't worry, be happy.....:wink:

06-22-2020, 07:19 PM
Get a radio and use it,if you get a pullout use it and wait your not the one trying to make a living

sky-gunner
07-03-2020, 06:02 PM
The only shitty thing about logging trucks, is these days, the emmision control they have make them almost silent. Used to hear the Jake a long ways off, now nothing. Get a radio. And I could be wrong, but a loaded down bound truck, I believe has the right of way.

BearStump
07-03-2020, 06:58 PM
For whatever it's worth: There are always A...holes on both sides of every fence. JUST got back home from a scouting trip and had some pretty nice run-ins with a logging crew and their trucks. They stopped me for a chat/advise, they moved their equipment for me so I could pass, and were generally a pleasant bunch. Just a thought: If you have issues with one specific area/logging/mining site, give the company a call and let them know? Certainly can't hurt....

I've never expected to have a right of way on an active fsr. If there's activity going on, I usually get the hell outta that area before I get smoked. And if I did get smoked, I would blame myself, NOT the loaded truck. I have had great experience's with crews over the years. One year it was hot as hell in September and came across a guy coming out in his excavator. we were stopped at a spot we were going to maybe set up at, but it wasn't ideal. I flagged him down and chatted for a few minutes about how much logging was going on further up etc.... he seemed like a nice guy, and he just wanted to get home. I offered him an ice cold beer and he lit up like a kid at christmas. I was blown away when he said "you gonna set up your trailer here?" "Why dont you pull ahead a few feet and I'll level it out for you." we I'll be damned.......he leveled the spot for the trailer and then some in less than 5 minutes. made a sweet camp spot for us.
Moral of the story......dot be an asshole, it will come back to you.

358mag
07-03-2020, 07:41 PM
i've never expected to have a right of way on an active fsr. If there's activity going on, i usually get the hell outta that area before i get smoked. And if i did get smoked, i would blame myself, not the loaded truck. I have had great experience's with crews over the years. One year it was hot as hell in september and came across a guy coming out in his excavator. We were stopped at a spot we were going to maybe set up at, but it wasn't ideal. I flagged him down and chatted for a few minutes about how much logging was going on further up etc.... He seemed like a nice guy, and he just wanted to get home. I offered him an ice cold beer and he lit up like a kid at christmas. I was blown away when he said "you gonna set up your trailer here?" "why dont you pull ahead a few feet and i'll level it out for you." we i'll be damned.......he leveled the spot for the trailer and then some in less than 5 minutes. Made a sweet camp spot for us.
Moral of the story......dot be an asshole, it will come back to you.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lwing
07-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Went straight to the end, no ones trying to kill anyone, get a radio, research, get correct rd channel, makes it a lot safer out there for everyone.

Daisy
08-21-2020, 01:05 PM
Can anyone recommend a radio?

Just about was run over by a speeding logging truck with my children recently. No active logging signs or anything. I’ve always had very good experiences with the logging trucks on the road, but this was pretty scary. Rather be prepared and if a radio can help then great.

SBvias
09-10-2020, 08:50 PM
I ordered a Baofeng UV-9R, I'll write a review after I get a few days of use.
A bunch of friends have the older UV-5R, a <$30 option, its seems fine when we used it up logging roads.
The best are obviously vehicle mounted ones but they are a bit pricier.

walks with deer
09-10-2020, 09:06 PM
fud if the road looks pounded out it is get off off it as soon as possible...you are a guest on there active worksite honor the privledge or wreck it for the ones with a brain....

Downwindtracker2
09-11-2020, 08:14 AM
No, it's crown land, it belongs to the people of BC. FS roads are owned by the province of BC, we have paid for them. They are ours.

A lot of those truck drivers are one bad spell away from not being able to make their payments and losing their trucks, that's their job and living. These are young guys, with young families, at the bottom of the list.

Muliechaser
09-11-2020, 09:23 AM
No, it's crown land, it belongs to the people of BC. FS roads are owned by the province of BC, we have paid for them. They are ours.

A lot of those truck drivers are one bad spell away from not being able to make their payments and losing their trucks, that's their job and living. These are young guys, with young families, at the bottom of the list.

All logging roads are supposed to be deactivated after. Harvest is complete . But they don't . Most of the time. Fsrs are paid for by the government those are ours . Logging roads aren't . The second they deactivated logging roads like they are supposed to people will whine and cry about that . Moral of the story is fsrs where created for loggin purposes only .and without that we wouldn't have the access we do .so give them a wide berth move over and enjoy your day out there . Simple respectgoes a long way

ryanhuntslots
09-15-2020, 08:26 AM
With all of those complaining about the poor skills of logging/lowbed/mine truck drivers out there it is amazing that they get through the workday alive. I wonder how they can possibly survive meeting another full sized truck on the road when it seems that they can hardly get around an F-150? I would say that most drivers are in the bush 200 days a year and must at least meet 15/20 other loaded pieces of equipment a day minimum, and that's pretty low if You get three trips in. So quick math says they sneak by minimum of 4000 other drivers a year, how is this possible? Maybe because You in your grocery getter aren't as swift and adept at the whole driving thing as You think?

wlbc
09-15-2020, 03:02 PM
Regarding BaoFung radios, they are inexpensive and you get what you pay for. If you use it twice a year when you go hunting it's probably good value although I've found they don't have the range. I like Motorola's for range and durability - but they are not cheap.

Regarding logging truck drivers...Just any other bunch; there are assholes in any group. My own experience has been if you try to work with them they are mostly pretty good. I have run into a couple of gems but maybe they were having a bad day.

I hunted grizzly for a number of years out past Mackenzie on the west side. There were mining and logging trucks using that road a lot. I did my part to stay out of there way and they they were all pretty good - heck after a few days they were telling where they saw critters.