PDA

View Full Version : Back from 7-28 moose hunting

lakelander
10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Just back from Manson Lakes and saw just one cow. There was no fresh sign. We called but heard nothing in an area that should be full of moose.

Anybody else hunted 7-28 around Manson Lakes or Germansen Landing?

Is the rut over?

Orangethunder
10-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Shouldn't be over yet, bulls are chasing the cows all over region 5. Might be tight lipped if there is much wolf activity though.

Squish
10-11-2007, 12:15 PM
According to MOE Biologists, there are lots of reports of a bad winterkill in the northern areas. Ticks took care of a lot this spring too unfortunately.

308Lover
10-11-2007, 12:15 PM
The locals have been given free reign to shoot anything, anytime, day or night,Was at Germansen and harassed incessantly---shotguns fired near our camp at night etc. Have hunted there for 40 years and this is the worst disaster I have ever seen. Makes me sad and sick at heart. CO's at MacKenzie are in charge but don't want trouble--so were sympathetic but not even up to "showing the flag" or checking loaded guns at night in vehicles etc.We had LEH for the zone, and hiked into rough country to even see moose. They were spooked badly, and larger bulls practically extinct. Sorry to be so negative. Maybe this will pass before I die.Don't feel bad.

Schmaus
10-11-2007, 12:29 PM
The locals have been given free reign to shoot anything, anytime, day or night,

I highly doubt this was the case

todbartell
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
tough winter, and no shortage of wolves = moose population down

throw in some ticks and guys shooting at moose with 22 mags and you have a recipe for a hunt with no sightings

curt
10-11-2007, 12:41 PM
308lover now there's another topic I'm hereing the same thing over and over and quite frankly i'm getting pissed right off, my mom's side of the family is native and i'm damn proud of it however what the hell is going on with these so called natives ever damn region i go to i'm hereing how they come in day and night and shoot whatever the hell they please. It's sickening who gives them the right????? sooner then later someone with some balls(suppose to be our government) needs to step up and stop this horse crap and quick. the natives in our province sure arent making any friends or gaining any respect gee i wonder why, then you here stories from areas like burns lake you want a moose hit the local bar give a native 100$ and wait an hour or two that is just so freaking wrong shame on those pathetic individuals

BCrams
10-11-2007, 01:23 PM
I can safely say that there were a pile of wolves in that country last winter and a tonne of snow. There was a spring freeze thaw up there and the wolves were running rampant on top of the snow and moose didn't stand a chance. Combine that with heavy snows and ticks, it was a rough year in that area.

Moose are still there but you'll have to work hard for them.

eastkoot
10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Where I was in 502 we saw aborignal "hunters" daily going out in the dark as we were coming in at night.. They duct tape their headlights and use lamps..Lots of moose, does and fawn remains in the morning.. There were also lots of wild horses, maybe 20-30 a day. That's not good for moose feed and meadows..That's my excuse!!

Islandeer
10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Guess these alledged pit-lamping son's of b....s are trying to connect with their heritage.:lol:

Machinist
10-11-2007, 02:49 PM
I just got Back from MU 6-06 , I was fortunate to get a bull on the second day , There wasn't as many moose around as in previous year's , We were checked out twice by two different CO'S . And we really gave him a Hard time about the Natives up there Driveing around in there Trucks , Three of them standing up in the Box with loaded weapon's we even witnessed them shoot a bear from the Truck they were in , They passed us on a logging road and the Black bear ran out from the side of the road the truck was still moveing when they shot the Bear !!!! We reported it to the CO , He strait out told us
THAT"S A MATTER I HAVE NO CONTROLL OVER .

So i don't know Guy's I Am Disgusted , If any of us got caught doing that or if someone reported it to the CO with a licence plat number etc , I am sure they would come after you .

Orangethunder
10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Can we shoot wild horses? I think that would be fun, sell em for glue!!!

308Lover
10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
My friend Schmaus. Yes what I said is true! The word "Locals" might require a translation from a friend. 308 Lover.

BlacktailStalker
10-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Poachers and game animals are like seals and salmon.

Its only a matter of time until sportsman start dealing with both issues themselves, if they havent started already.