PDA

View Full Version : lillooet shut down this weekend

primmed99
04-10-2020, 05:29 AM
http://lillooetbc.ca/getattachment/Municipal-Government/COVID-19-Updates/2020-04-09-Barricades-(1).pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

KodiakHntr
04-10-2020, 07:30 AM
This sort of stuff is going to implode when communities start trying to close access to crown land like this and people get frustrated. Going to result in violence I think.

GreyDog
04-10-2020, 08:26 AM
It makes perfect sense for a community to want to keep potential germ spreaders away. GD

albravo2
04-10-2020, 08:38 AM
I think the message is "Stay at home." By issuing these press releases I think communities are trying to stop people before they start driving. Once they are in Lillooet, they will find somewhere to camp but if they can stop them in Coquitlam, that much better.

Mosin
04-10-2020, 08:42 AM
Yeah I saw some guy on a FB dual sport page crying cause he got turned away from a small community. Good on them, stay home for a few weeks and suck it up or go out and "flex your rights" "combat the super powers that wish to enslave us" lol, and have to stay home for months instead of weeks if this has really take off

blacklab
04-10-2020, 09:06 AM
Hopefully coming to a community near ME!

KodiakHntr
04-10-2020, 09:16 AM
The point I was trying to make isn’t “stay the f*ck home”, or “its better for everyone if we all stay home” or anything like that.

The way I read that press release is that the community is blocking off roads and “identifying and engaging visitors” and telling them to return to their home communities.
I have no issue with an informational sign saying “Please stay away”, but I have a big issue with being stopped, having my address checked by a member of a community and then denied access to somewhere. And it isn’t the denied access, its being stopped by someone who I don’t know, don’t know their travel history, don’t know their contact history, who has zero authority to check me out or detain me for any reason whatsoever.

I’m a very reasonable individual, but I’m not stopping for some infected as*hole to come up and cough into my window or touch my I.D. And if I personally feel this way, guaranteed there are people out there who will react far differently than I will.

I doubt there is anyone in the province who hasn’t heard the recommendation to stay home, or in their home community, and there will always be a segment of the population that won’t follow those recommendations. But that doesn’t give locals the right or authority to patrol their area and run people off. All that will do is create tension and conflict, and reports of locals fighting with non locals will ABSOLUTELY spur the federal government to implement the Emergency Act in the name of “public safety”.

The other aspect of this that does kind of surprise me is the mental hypocrisy exhibited even among ourselves here. I personally live more of a “I don’t agree with YYY, so I’m not going to do YYY” lifestyle. What I see on a lot of these threads though over the last couple of days is a “I don’t like that (or that scares me) so YOU shouldn’t be able to do that” mentality. See any parallels there?

KodiakHntr
04-10-2020, 09:23 AM
It makes perfect sense for a community to want to keep potential germ spreaders away. GD

I think that people need to wrap their heads around the fact that it is already in their communities, they probably just don’t know it yet. Very few places will avoid having any cases.
Even up here in Fort St John there was rumours on social media about there being only a handful of cases but it was being denied or not confirmed.

Last night it was finally confirmed that a worker in the old age home that is part of the hospital has tested positive, and a member of the one band that is only 20km as the crow flies from my house has tested positive. It finally came out that Northern Health has 22 confirmed cases in Fort St John and they weren’t discovered yesterday.....
Health authorities aren’t making the number of cases or locations known to the public to “avoid panic” in the local communities, but I personally feel that all that is doing is lulling people into a sense of complacency because they think their home community is safe.

albravo2
04-10-2020, 09:26 AM
The other aspect of this that does kind of surprise me is the mental hypocrisy exhibited even among ourselves here. I personally live more of a “I don’t agree with YYY, so I’m not going to do YYY” lifestyle. What I see on a lot of these threads though over the last couple of days is a “I don’t like that (or that scares me) so YOU shouldn’t be able to do that” mentality. See any parallels there?

I agree, 100%. I'm fine if some people want to stay home while I take a drive up into the woods by myself for a bear hunt. I'm comfortable that I am not increasing risk to myself or anyone else so I'm comfortable with my decision.

I don't have an answer for what to do with people that are comfortable making decisions to party or break social distancing rules. They should be forced to stay at home-- if you can't make good decisions we'll make decisions for you.

emerson
04-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Lots of people believe the govt measures will save us all, but non compliance is death. Keep in mind truckers, flight crews, grocery stores, “essential” businesses are operating every day. Waiting until a somewhat effective vaccine is produced in 2021 is ok for pensioners, but eventually (doesn’t take too long) the govt checks will bounce and work will need to be done to keep living. Otherwise we will all be African street people. The armed citizens controlling access to their village to keep out a “zombie” hoard didn’t take long to get buy in, eh?

KodiakHntr
04-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Faster buy in than I expected, and I hold the general public in pretty low regard at the best of times. It surprised me how quickly people have forgotten the rail blockades from a few weeks ago and the enthusiasm that was shown for the “just run them over” mentality.

Wonder what the conversations here will be like when it is armed country folk on one side of a road block trying to get into town for sugar or yeast and angry armed townies on the other side trying to “keep people that aren’t from here home”....

Personally, at 45 years old, I’m past my hothead years (mostly) but there is a pretty big segment of the population that needs excitement like that, and communities taking it upon themselves to enforce “recommendations” with force because they think it is justified in the name of “safety”. Be aware that there will always be people that will look at this as an attack on their ability to be able protect themselves and their families and do whats best for them.

Public shaming and castigation as has been shown on recent threads isn’t the answer either. Every single person in the province knows they need to be careful out there. Not everyone has the same home life as you, and maybe some people have different mental/emotional/physical needs. Just try to be cognizant that not everyone CAN live like everyone else and show some compassion and kindness when someone asks what everyone is doing on a long weekend....

KodiakHntr
04-10-2020, 10:39 AM
Double tap.

The Donald
04-10-2020, 10:48 AM
Personally, at 45 years old, I’m past my hothead years .

Hell i'm 59 and not there yet, how did you manage to do it at such a young age :mrgreen:

KodiakHntr
04-10-2020, 11:02 AM
LOL, maybe “past” is the wrong word.
These days it just takes longer to get there is all.

HappyJack
04-10-2020, 11:04 AM
Lillooet? Who would want to go there anyways?

Jagermeister
04-10-2020, 11:11 AM
Hell i'm 59 and not there yet, how did you manage to do it at such a young age :mrgreen:
Hell i'm 59 and not there yet, how did you manage to do it at such a young age

I am older that both of you and haven't passed my hothead years. Mind you, I am a little more cautious.

Nevertheless, I think that the district is overstepping their bounds and have no business trying to enforce a self declared blockade. What say those that decide to go camp in that area just setup their own blockade on the outskirts of Lillooet and hem the residents in so to prevent them from leaving their fine village. How do you think those that are penned in would like that now that the shoe is on the different foot.

So, I concur with KodiakHntr.

whitlers
04-10-2020, 11:19 AM
I think that's a bit much. They cant stop people from travelling through and camping on crown land. I for one wouldn't be stopping for this garbage. I get it everyone should be staying home but this kind of action can get out of hand.

REMINGTON JIM
04-10-2020, 11:24 AM
What the HELL is the Matter with all YOU People ? :twisted: lol :-D RJ

finngun
04-10-2020, 12:07 PM
R J it is easter madness..going around..have ya been egghunting yet?����

BgBlkDg
04-10-2020, 12:37 PM
Kodiak, 'gets it' and I concur with his comments, 110%.

BriarPatch
04-10-2020, 01:45 PM
The problem here is one group telling another what to do and the erosion of our liberties.

Personally I feel that I should be free to do whatever I want, but my freedom stops at your front door so my actions should not invade your life but your actions should not invade mine either.

People should not be telling others what they can & cannot do they have no legal authority and sooner or later this is going to end up bad for someone.

Don't forget only a few weeks ago our various wonderful governments (Federal & Provincial) together with WHO said restricting movement does not work so why should people listen to them now.

I for one am staying home not because someone has told me to but because I think it is the wise & prudent thing to do.

BriarPatch
04-10-2020, 01:52 PM
Oh and people blocking the roads and access is no different or better than the illegal rail blockades and remember how many on here wanted that to end.

Baconator
04-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Talked to my buddy on the Island this A.M. He said that there is a pile of red and white lic. plates coming off the Ferries yesterday and today. Anyone else seeing this? Maybe the Hurting Albertains aint hurting as bad as we heard!

Quince2
04-10-2020, 03:47 PM
Until it is illegal to venture out aka shelter in place, people can make their own decisions on what they want to do.
Just wait, hunting will be cancelled for everyone except FN, just like fishing now.

Ltbullken
04-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Alberta license plates apparently spackled all over the Shuswap this wknd. >:-(

Huntingtyler123
04-10-2020, 04:22 PM
I’m In Lillooet right now , been here for a week working on the farm. No patrol or borders up in town

Huntingtyler123
04-10-2020, 04:25 PM

missing out bro, best place

REMINGTON JIM
04-10-2020, 07:27 PM
https://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/highways-ferries-filled-with-long-weekend-travellers-despite-requests-to-stay-home-1.24116325

quadrakid
04-10-2020, 08:33 PM
As long as people are given a choice some will make what others think is a bad choice.Most won,t. I can live with that.

Arctic Lake
04-10-2020, 10:54 PM
Okay who is telling the real facts ? Are there blockades in Lillooet or not? What people want is the TRUTH . Yes andI can take the TRUTH !
Arctic Lake

Hunter gatherer
04-11-2020, 06:04 AM
Hopefully not you lol

Hunter gatherer
04-11-2020, 06:08 AM
Hell i'm 59 and not there yet, how did you manage to do it at such a young age

I am older that both of you and haven't passed my hothead years. Mind you, I am a little more cautious.

Nevertheless, I think that the district is overstepping their bounds and have no business trying to enforce a self declared blockade. "What say those that decide to go camp in that area just setup their own blockade on the outskirts of Lillooet and hem the residents in so to prevent them from leaving their fine village. How do you think those that are penned in would like that now that the shoe is on the different foot."

So, I concur with KodiakHntr.
Probably wouldn't work out so well for you .

Huntingtyler123
04-11-2020, 07:32 AM
I’m here in Lillooet now. No blockades I’ve seen. Only new thing is signs up on Main Street saying keep 2m distance.

GreyDog
04-11-2020, 07:39 AM
I think the people of Lillooet have every right to close off their town. I also think people from outside Lilloett have a right to keep Lillooet people from entering their areas as well. Happily, it doesn't affect me at all. I have made it through 71 years without ever visiting Lilooet and see no reason this shouldn't continue for the duration. If HG is any indicator they have some really tough keyboard peckers there. GD

finngun
04-11-2020, 09:10 AM
G D I dont think so..so... if any hick town deside close their town off any reason they feel like it..travelling will be not so much fun..my idea about closing any town is...it need to come higher up..rcmp is needed to look after that,,,not some half drunk.....I cant say that.:idea: who?it is you guess...

Arctic Lake
04-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Okay this is good to know !
Arctic Lake

I’m here in Lillooet now. No blockades I’ve seen. Only new thing is signs up on Main Street saying keep 2m distance.

Downtown
04-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Talked to my buddy on the Island this A.M. He said that there is a pile of red and white lic. plates coming off the Ferries yesterday and today. Anyone else seeing this? Maybe the Hurting Albertains aint hurting as bad as we heard!

Perhaps most of them are BCers still working in AB and taking advantage of cheaper vehicle Insurance rates.

Cheers

tyreguy
04-11-2020, 09:50 AM
If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

HappyJack
04-11-2020, 02:25 PM

Just some of the boys saving on vehicle insurance....I hope they are taking notes and checking them to find out where they really live.

britman101
04-11-2020, 07:34 PM
From what you hear from the Medical Health Officers across Canada the first wave of the virus will die down come summer. However, it is not going to go away till they can develop a vaccine for it. Come this fall, when flu season ramps up is when they predict the second wave of the Covid virus will make a reappearance. That is when I think it will get really ugly across Canada. Can you imagine catching the flu followed up by Covid 19. That type of scary scenario could overflow ICUs right across Canada.

Mulehahn
04-11-2020, 08:33 PM
From what you hear from the Medical Health Officers across Canada the first wave of the virus will die down come summer. However, it is not going to go away till they can develop a vaccine for it. Come this fall, when flu season ramps up is when they predict the second wave of the Covid virus will make a reappearance. That is when I think it will get really ugly across Canada. Can you imagine catching the flu followed up by Covid 19. That type of scary scenario could overflow ICUs right across Canada.

We are still in flu season. But you are right. It will get ugly. The fact that we have so far not reached the dire expectations they called for (though good) means that when this comes back in the late Fall no one is going to take it serious. The government will not be able to, and cannot afford to, shutdown the country again. People won't put up with it. Kids have already lost half a year of school, many are already spending what little savings they had, and the world will not have had time to get all their eggs out of the China basket. The second wave is going to be much worse in my opinion.

338win mag
04-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Ya well, they may never have a vaccine for it, we may have to deal with it and have an economy at the same time.

heybert
04-11-2020, 11:19 PM
I, for one stayed home this weekend even though the kids wanted to go to our place in Radium. One less Alberta plate. Stay safe folks.

Mulehahn
04-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Sort of related and not worth starting a new thread over. I belong to a group that discusses issues around 100 Mile House as that is where my property is. Police report a huge uptick in break and enters and car thefts (which I can believe) but apparently instead of focusing on that they issued a statement to watch out for unknown vehicles as they don't want out of towners around do to Covid. Is this true?

While I can understand the sentiment, I can guarantee that the person who just drove the 4 to 5 hours to get away to their property for the weekend are not the ones that are stealing all the cars or breaking into garages/out buildings. It is a matter of priorities and the law. One is illegal, while the other (though maybe frowned upon) is not.

HappyJack
04-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Ya well, they may never have a vaccine for it, we may have to deal with it and have an economy at the same time.

That is the most likely scenario. It'll continue to wreck havoc in the old folks care home though, so elder care might have to evolve too.

REMINGTON JIM
04-12-2020, 12:05 PM
I, for one stayed home this weekend even though the kids wanted to go to our place in Radium. One less Alberta plate. Stay safe folks.

Good On YOU Buddy ! Your doing your part ! :smile: RJ

Danny_29
04-12-2020, 12:38 PM
Alberta license plates apparently spackled all over the Shuswap this wknd. >:-(

Wayyyy to many. Very ignorant.

Pauly
04-12-2020, 08:19 PM
Faster buy in than I expected, and I hold the general public in pretty low regard at the best of times. It surprised me how quickly people have forgotten the rail blockades from a few weeks ago and the enthusiasm that was shown for the “just run them over” mentality.

Wonder what the conversations here will be like when it is armed country folk on one side of a road block trying to get into town for sugar or yeast and angry armed townies on the other side trying to “keep people that aren’t from here home”....

Personally, at 45 years old, I’m past my hothead years (mostly) but there is a pretty big segment of the population that needs excitement like that, and communities taking it upon themselves to enforce “recommendations” with force because they think it is justified in the name of “safety”. Be aware that there will always be people that will look at this as an attack on their ability to be able protect themselves and their families and do whats best for them.

Public shaming and castigation as has been shown on recent threads isn’t the answer either. Every single person in the province knows they need to be careful out there. Not everyone has the same home life as you, and maybe some people have different mental/emotional/physical needs. Just try to be cognizant that not everyone CAN live like everyone else and show some compassion and kindness when someone asks what everyone is doing on a long weekend....
Well put my friend.. good stuff

browningboy
04-13-2020, 07:29 AM
I was at our place in Magna Bay and the Albertans did come in, not like the summer but a fair bunch.

weatherby_man
04-13-2020, 08:04 AM
https://youtu.be/k1z5PejkIyY?t=24

Springer
04-14-2020, 06:54 AM
Ha Ha Great clip Waetherby, This Albertan shares the same humour as the BC Folks.