PDA

View Full Version : Back from up North

1/2 slam
10-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I've been back fro our trip for a week or so. Haven't been able to post because of the work thing.

We drove to Muncho Lake on the 16th.Saw a lot of Caribou and a few sheep in Stone Mountain park. We also saw a lot of road kill including ewes and Lambs. People really need to slow down!

We usually show up early as Urs often can squeeze us in. Not this time though. He was backed up because of the shitty weather. So we headed off to Liard Hot Springs. If you head to Muncho I would recommend a trip to the Hot Springs. When we were finished we drove another 15 minutes past the Hot Springs. There was a heard of bison there and I'd never seen bison in the wild. Wow are they big.

He managed to fly my buddies in on the last flight the next day. I had to spend another night at the lake. Oh well this is the 1st time in 14 years that has happened. I woke the next morning the several inches of snow and the ceiling at my ankles. I didn't think I would make it in that day either. But at 1 o'clock we gave it a try and made it:D. My partners had camp set up and firewood all cut. I guess that was my reward for having to stay behind.

We were camped in a different. Just before the trip I found out that a guy we had taken with us as a guest last year decided to take his own group in and was camped where we usually camp:x. I couldn't believe he would do this. We take him to our spot, 14 years going there, and he repays us by taking his own group in. What an A$$HOLE. We are going to have some words and he's not going to like what he hears. We've taken other guys in and no one has done that. When they left I had a look at the camp and photographed the mess. Where do I start?

-2 chairs hanging in the trees
-stove pipe thrown into the bush
-unburned garbage laying around
-5 gallon buckets left behind
-life jacket hanging in the trees
-fire on the beach still smoldering
-fire pit in camp still hot
-metal frame to a shelter thrown up on the bank

Burn it, cache it or take it with you. I'm going to be talking to some folks to see about charging this GOOF.

Any way My partner jumped into his zodiac and headed down the lake. We were going to try a different area for sheep. That is if the weather held. We got to our destination and found a camp already set up. Two guys had been there for a while. They had a ram and an elk. They had spent 8 days up the mountain and only saw a couple of rams. The one they shot was the only legal one they saw. We were going to go up any way if the weather co operated. It didn't the ceiling was around our ankles. We went elk hunting instead. We ended up seeing 4 bulls, 2 spikes a 3 and a 5 point.

After spending a few days we headed back to our main camp. We towed our other partners canoe back with us. It had disappeared about 5 years earlier. We found it at the outfitters cabin. We know it was not him who took it. He told us that it just showed up. We believe him as my buddy had heard a story about it from some guys in Ft St John. Any way he was happy we recovered it.

I spent several days at our lookout. From here you can see the entire area at the end of the lake. I was quite concerned as I didn't see a single animal. At times I've seen as many as 30 elk and moose. In fact we saw only one moose the entire trip.

With about 4 days to go in our 2 week trip we were getting concerned. We had not been seeing much at all. Any way I heard an elk bugle at about 4 that morning. We were up before dawn. We tried a call from camp and got a response. My partner climbed a ridge right behind cam and I walked to the beach. I started bugling and got another response. My buddy and I went back and forth with this bull. I thought it was heading for my partner. Rob could see him in the trees and could have shot him but could not count points. I was looking down the beach when he stepped out at 30 yards! He was looking right at me and I couldn't see 6 points. He spun and began trotting down the beach. I got my scope on him and still couldn't count 6. Rob then bugled above me and that stopped him. He was broad side at 50 yards and I could see 6 on both sides. BANG :p He ran less than 30 yards and dropped on the beach. It was a hard 115 yard pack to camp.

The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful withe the exception of several close encounters with bears. Our other partner had a close call with a big grizz. Fortunately he didn't have to shoot it.

Rob went out on the last evening and saw a pile of elk. Eleven in all. There were 6 bulls, none legal.

Urs flew in on Oct 1st to get us. We had broke camp early that morning. Everything was down on the beach. We were sitting around the fire, which we put out when we heard the plane. We headed for the beach. I looked at the elk carcass and it had been dragged 15 yards up the beach and was mostly gone :eek:. Andre walked down and had a look at the tracks. Sure enough a Grizz. In the 45 minutes we were sitting around a Grizz had visited the carcass.

This was our worst trip weather wise in 14 years. A lot of rain, snow and the wind was unbelievable. I got blown off the lookout several times. The trip home was uneventful. I'll try and post pictures soon. I took a video camera and my partner took the still camera. He's up in PG for a few weeks. I'll get them from him when he returns.

Elkhound
10-11-2007, 10:14 AM
wow....what a trip......some guys are just not worth the effort.....really too bad. Hope he gets charged with something. At least littering

1/2 slam
10-11-2007, 10:17 AM
We'll see what can be done. The guys a Jerk IMHO. I've never seen any one leave a camp like this. Most of the folks I've met on the fly
in trips are good people.

Lil Buck
10-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear you had a poor trip..
You got out ,and thats the important thing ..

Good luck the rest of the season..

Lb

The Dawg
10-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Thats horrible that someone would do that after you had been nice enough to show them the place...you said you took pics?...can you post them?

Will
10-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Maybe take a donation and have all that garbage flown back to his house and dumped on his front yard.........of course this wouldn't be acceptable to him I'm sure:rolleyes:

The trip otherwise sounded Great:cool:.....except the weather:wink:

1/2 slam
10-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Will......thats a great idea. If we had room in the plane I would seriously look at doing just that.

The trip was OK. I did manage to get a 6 point. When my partner returns from Prince George I'll post some pictures.

Will
10-11-2007, 09:07 PM
The trip was OK. I did manage to get a 6 point.
Ok ?? :shock:
I'd say so then:-P

Gateholio
10-11-2007, 09:30 PM
That is a shame...Whenever someone has shown me thier "secret (or not so secret) spot, I've always asked if they mind me returning, when they will be there,e tc.:-|

Too ad about the weather. Lots of bad weather tales this year!:shock:

Krico
10-11-2007, 11:21 PM
That dude broke rule number one regarding "your buddies secret spot." What a jerkoff. You should have sprinkled bits of scrap meat under his tent to bring in some night visitors...
As a side note, I think I know the guy you saw with the ram...small world of sheep hunters I guess.