PDA

View Full Version : Poaching Cases, Kamloops Area

HankBC
04-06-2020, 09:36 AM
According to the local CO's in the Kamloops region, there has been a fair rise in people poaching animals in the name of 'feeding their families.'

Grocery stores are still selling food, there's meat on the shelves, we are not at the point where we need to illegally take game. Buy a bear tag and go distance yourself while helping the ungulate population.

Obviously this will not be viewed by the offenders, but hopefully people will be discouraging the idea that this practice is 'just' in any way. Stick together (figuratively, 6' apart in reality) and we'll get through this and spend august chasing rams. Cheers folks

REMINGTON JIM
04-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Gee ! i wonder who they are ? :evil: RJ from Kamloops

Downtown
04-06-2020, 10:50 AM
According to the local CO's in the Kamloops region, there has been a fair rise in people poaching animals in the name of 'feeding their families.'

Grocery stores are still selling food, there's meat on the shelves, we are not at the point where we need to illegally take game. Buy a bear tag and go distance yourself while helping the ungulate population.

Obviously this will not be viewed by the offenders, but hopefully people will be discouraging the idea that this practice is 'just' in any way. Stick together (figuratively, 6' apart in reality) and we'll get through this and spend august chasing rams. Cheers folks

Perhaps the problem is the Poachers look at this as what is the difference between a Deer shot by them to a Deer shot by the "Free for all" policy for Natives.

While I don't agree with Poaching, I believe if the Corona thing wont get solved soon there will be a lot more Poaching going on very soon and the COs will be in real danger approaching such individuals.

Cheers

Yuritau
04-06-2020, 11:32 AM
and the COs will be in real danger approaching such individuals.

And that wont be good for anyone, if it (rightly) makes them more wary on approaching any individuals.

Spy
04-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Hey what’s good for the First Nations is good for all Canadians!

wildcatter
04-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Yeah right, don't hold your breath!:rolleyes:

HappyJack
04-06-2020, 07:05 PM

Personally I'd prefer not to be buggered by some priest......but that's just me.

HankBC
04-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Perhaps the problem is the Poachers look at this as what is the difference between a Deer shot by them to a Deer shot by the "Free for all" policy for Natives.

While I don't agree with Poaching, I believe if the Corona thing wont get solved soon there will be a lot more Poaching going on very soon and the COs will be in real danger approaching such individuals.

Cheers

This is the problem unfortunately and why I felt the need to put it out there. I don’t want to make the CO’s have an even harder go of it. Plus the need to re iterate that we are NOT at the point of having to poach to survive. There’s still food in the stores and at the butcher shop. Spring bear is open. Make sure people know we’re still abiding by the law and listening to the regs. I’d hate to see a ripple effect of people ‘getting their deer before they’re gone.’

I do hear what you’re saying on the free for all however, I can imagine a few better policies that could be implemented. Certain number of tags given to the chief to distribute.. etc

HarryToolips
04-06-2020, 08:33 PM
Everyone needs to keep their eyes and ears open, and don't hesitate to use that RAPP line...believe it or not the COs do follow up on calls...I have used the line twice and both times I was contacted....

338win mag
04-06-2020, 09:05 PM
So I'm out and about...what's this?...an Elk someone shot..and a pos dumped all the trimmings near the middle of the road.
A clear phuck you to all...they could of thrown it over the bank, but no. Good thing you did it at night.

Steeleco
04-07-2020, 04:55 AM
download the BC Conservation app and use it, you can report and also see where other reports have been made.

russm86
04-07-2020, 07:26 AM
Personally I'd prefer not to be buggered by some priest......but that's just me.

That's not just a problem for the FN... many a white boys have been victims of the churches pedos...

REMINGTON JIM
04-07-2020, 07:42 AM

Really You GOT to GO there in a animal POACHING Thread ? WTF ? RJ

Spy
04-07-2020, 07:58 AM
Really You GOT to GO there in a animal POACHING Thread ? WTF ? RJ
Agreed but maybe happy crack could start his own thread and tell us what the % of white and Indian kids were hurt by said priests, teachers ,normal man in the street, actor, grand father,or uncle ect ect... stupid comment by a ........!

hawk-i
04-07-2020, 08:00 AM

Oh FFS, like that "only" happened to FN's and only by priests.

HappyJack
04-07-2020, 08:34 AM

Well really, you can't just take the good without taking on some of the bad. There are a lot of poachers out there and the vast majority aren't First Nations, the law being what it is most of what the FNs do is legal for them so not poaching at all. Makes me wonder why every time a poaching thread comes up someone has to point fingers at FNs when we all know guides and asians are involved in many of the worst cases??

Firstblood
04-07-2020, 02:51 PM
Poaching cases will go up when people start to get really concerned. Get the app on your phone, BCWF conservation app. Every time ive sent in a report I get a call and follow up from the COs.

45freezer
04-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Poaching cases will go up when people start to get really concerned. Get the app on your phone, BCWF conservation app. Every time ive sent in a report I get a call and follow up from the COs.

Man, you get follow ups? I couldn't even get the CO to come out to a spot he could drive to so I could show him a stack of freshly poached calf elk last spring. Thought he just didn't care at first until I realized how much territory he's single handedly responsible for, to say resources are spread thin would be the understatement of the year!

fuzzybiscuit
04-07-2020, 05:49 PM

I’d say while the law won’t agree with you I sure as hell do...

Norwestalta
04-07-2020, 05:59 PM
From a credible source I heard the local stewards of the land are looking for people to hunt moose for them. They'll pay your fine, fuel and shells. I guess the elders figure traditional way of life will help them survive the covid. Don't know what kind of a steward of the land wants moose shot when they're in calf.

Bustercluck
04-07-2020, 06:14 PM
From a credible source I heard the local stewards of the land are looking for people to hunt moose for them. They'll pay your fine, fuel and shells. I guess the elders figure traditional way of life will help them survive the covid. Don't know what kind of a steward of the land wants moose shot when they're in calf.
A Métis person I work with shot a cow last week. He’s not eligible for hunting rights like treaty Indians, but his wife is treaty so he shoots whatever he wants when she’s around. He thinks that I don’t like him because he’s an Indian, but really the only reason I don’t like him is because he acts like an Indian. There is a difference.

REMINGTON JIM
04-07-2020, 06:19 PM
A Métis person I work with shot a cow last week. He’s not eligible for hunting rights like treaty Indians, but his wife is treaty so he shoots whatever he wants when she’s around. He thinks that I don’t like him because he’s an Indian, but really the only reason I don’t like him is because he acts like an Indian. There is a difference.

Exactly ! Another ILLEGAL animal shot and nothing will be done ! :mad: :frown: RJ

338win mag
04-07-2020, 06:24 PM
Just because its legal doesn't make it right, its a moral issue not a legal one.
Big difference now (april) and sept, but if you report it then the CO needs to simply determine if its FN or not, if its FN then why waste his time.

boxhitch
04-07-2020, 06:28 PM
The cows are pregnant, those fetuses must be huge now, lots of prime pink meat
Not for me thanks:shock:

Norwestalta
04-07-2020, 06:31 PM

Sorry this made me laugh but it is sad. I got a friend that's metis and he said the only difference is one is functionable.

HappyJack
04-08-2020, 02:34 PM

Do you have contact information? I know a few guys looking for work.

Norwestalta
04-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Do you have contact information? I know a few guys looking for work.

Contact your local reserve. I heard 1800-eat-shit is a direct line as well.

walks with deer
04-08-2020, 10:21 PM
i have beef,lamb,goat,and chicken for sale right know no excuse of meat shortage...

HappyJack
04-09-2020, 01:31 PM
i have beef,lamb,goat,and chicken for sale right know no excuse of meat shortage...

I don't think poachers are inclined to spend money on meat. Some people think the laws don't apply to them, particularly if they think someone else is going to beat them to all that free meat.

Hadda
04-09-2020, 02:23 PM
This forum has turned into an echo chamber of old men yelling at imaginary squirrels. OP, sorry your thread went to shit so quickly.