PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Closes spring bear season, how long do we have?

bushpilot
04-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Seen this morning that Alaska closed their spring bear season until further notice in response to COVID 19. Here in BC that hasn’t happened yet but at https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates#, you can subscribe for changes. My suspicion is that it is only a matter of time until something similar happens here. Provincial parks are closed and all recreational campsites are closed until April 30.

I got out yesterday for opener, but with little green up, colder temps and snow things are going to be several weeks yet. Going to keep at it as long as the opportunity is there though.

Ltbullken
04-02-2020, 08:33 AM
I don't understand why it would be closed. Hunting is the ultimate in social distancing. Maybe guides are in a different situation as they need to be quite close to their clients. Sorry GOS... Unless the government can undertake enforcement, then maybe it would be shut down then? They are an essential service so I don't see that happening.

boxhitch
04-02-2020, 08:33 AM
WAG they want to reduce travel

According to mandate 12
All in-state travel between communities, whether resident, worker, or visitor, is prohibited unless travel is to support critical infrastructure, or for critical personal needs. Certain Small Alaskan communities may implement further travel restriction pursuant to “Alaska Small Community Emergency Travel Order - Attachment B.”
Personal travel is prohibited except as necessary to meet critical personal needs or work in critical infrastructure jobs. Critical personal needs include buying, selling, or delivering groceries and home goods; obtaining fuel for vehicles or residential needs; transporting family members for out-of-home care, essential health needs, or for purposes of child custody exchanges; receiving essential health care; providing essential health care to a family member; obtaining other important goods; and engaging in subsistence activities. Travelers are reminded to follow social distancing measures, including, to the extent reasonably feasible, keeping six feet away from others, avoiding crowded places, and limiting public gatherings to less than ten people. Read the “Mandate 11 and 12 FAQ’s (http://dhss.alaska.gov/News/Documents/press/2020/FAQs_03272020-SOA-COVID-19-Health-Mandate-011-012.pdf)” for more details.

boxhitch
04-02-2020, 08:38 AM
How long do we have?
When is it necessary to close the highways that link communities in BC?

boxhitch
04-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Many US states are closing all backcountry travel, stating they don't want to have enforcement or staff or first responders in action

https://www.kgw.com/article/sports/outdoors/coronavirus-oregon-washington-close-all-national-forest-sites-trails-across-24m-acres/283-e70c8ff5-e594-42fb-b970-a80eb5a76038

KodiakHntr
04-02-2020, 08:48 AM

According to mandate 12
All in-state travel between communities, whether resident, worker, or visitor, is prohibited unless travel is to support critical infrastructure, or for critical personal needs. Certain Small Alaskan communities may implement further travel restriction pursuant to “Alaska Small Community Emergency Travel Order - Attachment B.”
Personal travel is prohibited except as necessary to meet critical personal needs or work in critical infrastructure jobs. Critical personal needs include buying, selling, or delivering groceries and home goods; obtaining fuel for vehicles or residential needs; transporting family members for out-of-home care, essential health needs, or for purposes of child custody exchanges; receiving essential health care; providing essential health care to a family member; obtaining other important goods; and engaging in subsistence activities. Travelers are reminded to follow social distancing measures, including, to the extent reasonably feasible, keeping six feet away from others, avoiding crowded places, and limiting public gatherings to less than ten people. Read the “Mandate 11 and 12 FAQ’s (http://dhss.alaska.gov/News/Documents/press/2020/FAQs_03272020-SOA-COVID-19-Health-Mandate-011-012.pdf)” for more details.

Couple of Alaskans I talk to have been discussing that, and from their take on it and from what they have read, it is more that they are now allowed more latitude in subsistence hunting and fishing than ever before.

butcher
04-02-2020, 08:50 AM
Many US states are closing all backcountry travel, stating they don't want to have enforcement or staff or first responders in action

https://www.kgw.com/article/sports/outdoors/coronavirus-oregon-washington-close-all-national-forest-sites-trails-across-24m-acres/283-e70c8ff5-e594-42fb-b970-a80eb5a76038

Which is great, so who’s going to enforce these restrictions? Seems to me there’d have to be cops in the bush regardless.

boxhitch
04-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Couple of Alaskans I talk to have been discussing that, and from their take on it and from what they have read, it is more that they are now allowed more latitude in subsistence hunting and fishing than ever before.Of course someone is going to play that card but the personal travel ban is more far-reaching than just hunting or fishing

Arctic Lake
04-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Let’s hope that doesn’t take place here ! How would you prove you need to hunt for food hmmm... you have lost your job due to Covid can’t afford meat . What is the law regarding subsistence hunting currently , and how do you prove you need it .
Arctic Lake

adriaticum
04-02-2020, 09:08 AM
Bloody idiots

jac
04-02-2020, 09:16 AM
I can see the traveling to go hunting in a airplane should be banned at the moment. I’m guessing they get a lot of hunters from other states flying up there to hunt. For bc resident hunting in bc using your truck to get there i hope
that doesn’t get shut down. It’s going to be hard on the outfitters with most business coming from non residents

simonvancouver
04-02-2020, 09:54 AM
I cant see it being shut down, i can see some enforcement by CO on multiple people in a truck on FSR etc.

How will this impact wild game butchers though, how do you take your game to them etc now? are they classed as essential?

303savage
04-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Does Alaska any of the virus?

Red_Mist
04-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Seems like a lack of common sense here from officials trying to be reactive.

Fella
04-02-2020, 10:05 AM
Well guys I guess we finally figured out what the Illuminati was up to when they invented and unleashed the virus, they were trying to turn us all into non-hunting vegans! You can all take off your tinfoil hats now.

Darksith
04-02-2020, 10:10 AM
most of alaska bear hunts are probably conducted by non residents of the state. So it only makes sense to not encourage people to think about travelling under the notion that they are going to be in isolation. That certainly won't be the case gettting there, could be a bit of a different story once you are out in the wilderness but...

I would rather see them simply shut down all non resident hunting, I would think that is more effective. I hope BC doesn't blindly follow and keeps resident opportunities open at the very least. No matter what though, this is going to be a hard year for any business, including the GO's. I wish them all the best, some of them are really going to struggle when they are owner operators rather than millionaires

Huntingtyler123
04-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Country meadows butcher is still open as of now just by appointment only

Treed
04-02-2020, 10:42 AM
I can see a lot of communities around the province not wanting a flood of lower mainlanders coming up, going into stores, gas stations, etc. FN are definitely going to shut it down. Except for themselves. It’s almost a guarantee that it will get closed. First hint will be no LEH.

Bugle M In
04-02-2020, 10:48 AM
Well, if they impose that here, there are some areas of BC that will be "over run" by BBears!
Not sure how they faired, but last fall, we were literally stepping all over them in a part of the EK.

Oh well....maybe better to live to hunt another day, all things considered.
Mind you, a lot more things should be banned 1st in assisting the limiting of C-19, imo.

Mulehahn
04-02-2020, 11:00 AM
I can see a lot of communities around the province not wanting a flood of lower mainlanders coming up, going into stores, gas stations, etc. FN are definitely going to shut it down. Except for themselves. It’s almost a guarantee that it will get closed. First hint will be no LEH.

And those stores, gas stations and takeout places won't last a month without lower mainlanders stopping in. I highly doubt Cache Creek has a high enough population to support 6(? Including ashcroft) Gas stations. Not to mention those who fill up.in Clinton. With the unemployment in 100 mile the only thing keeping the area a float lately is tourism. If they shut it down they kill these towns.

Firstblood
04-02-2020, 11:41 AM
I can easily see them closing seasons and limiting travel within BC. I am all for going out fishing and going out hunting becuase it is great social distancing and it is important for my mental health. How it is done depends on where you are tho, for me, I rarely see anyone and I am doing everything I normally do, if you live in a high rise in Van you have to modify your behaviour significantly. Hunting locally wont cause too many issues with spreading a virus if you do it alone close to home, but groups of people and travelling across the province during bear season could cause some serious issues. Yes businesses in highway towns are gunna take a hit, businesses are shut down province wide, I took a huge hit closing and many of my friends did too. If we want a fall hunting season and the freedom to travel back we need to take the hit now and get it over with. If we wait and everyone thinks of their own interests it will take a lot longer.

Bigdoggdon
04-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Make no mistake about it the anti's are going to latch onto this and play it for all it's worth. Every absurd argument they can think of to use this covid-19 crisis to justify banning hunting. People are already talking about the influx of Albertan's coming to Prince Rupert to go fishing in recent days and how those people are traveling between provinces and coming into contact with people they shop and buy supplies from. 'cause, you know, nobody is allowed to go shopping anymore

jac
04-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Lack of all Tourism in general is a far greater problem then hunters not traveling when talking about support business along travel routes

The Donald
04-02-2020, 04:52 PM
I can easily see them closing seasons and limiting travel within BC. I am all for going out fishing and going out hunting becuase it is great social distancing and it is important for my mental health. How it is done depends on where you are tho, for me, I rarely see anyone and I am doing everything I normally do, if you live in a high rise in Van you have to modify your behaviour significantly. Hunting locally wont cause too many issues with spreading a virus if you do it alone close to home, but groups of people and travelling across the province during bear season could cause some serious issues. Yes businesses in highway towns are gunna take a hit, businesses are shut down province wide, I took a huge hit closing and many of my friends did too. If we want a fall hunting season and the freedom to travel back we need to take the hit now and get it over with. If we wait and everyone thinks of their own interests it will take a lot longer.

Sorry have to disagree, if the close it, kiss the whole season good by, if you haven't noticed once you lose something in hunting and fishing you're dreaming if you think you will get it back. Hows the gbear hunting going for you, how about the experimental halibut slot size for 1 year going for you, you see a bit of a pattern here??

Huntingtyler123
04-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Sadly I can see that and I agree with the donald. I hope it remains open for our sake. There won’t be a problem if we follow common sense with this virus.

MOOSE MILK
04-02-2020, 05:39 PM
I understand that the worry is for small communities with limited hospital facilities, do not want or need outsiders entering their domain. Even though you are going to be alone in the bush you are probably going to buy gas and supplies from local stores, thus the possibility of spreading the corvid19.
I wouldn't want someone from the larger cities (more likely to have contact) coming into my small community spreading the crap in my area.

jac
04-02-2020, 05:57 PM
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/296286/Dr-Bonnie-Henry-urges-residents-not-to-travel-within-B-C#296286

WWBC
04-02-2020, 06:29 PM
What if they said hunters could only hunt in their home MU this spring season?
That would be better than a full closure.

on a side note: I think that this c-19/ Social distance way of life we’re now in will cause more people to abandon the city life, work remotely and move to small towns.
I’d rather social isolate in a big shop on a piece of land than in 600 sq/ft condo in Vancouver

walkerbc
04-02-2020, 06:30 PM
For the most part , hunting is a social event. We all like to gather around a campfire at the end of the day to discuss our adventure. So who do you take with you? Most of us are self isolating at the moment, so in theory, I can call a buddy who for the last 14 days has done the same thing. Off we go, to our out of the way location and for the most part should be just fine, assuming we only bought some gas along the way and brought everything else from home. 4 or 5 days in camp is really "isolating". Now we need supplies. Are we close enough to home?? Do we risk a trip into a local town? Let's call another buddy. But wait. Where has he been? Do we risk another person in camp?
This virus is the most devastating killer the world has ever known!! Thank goodness , British Columbia starting reacting ahead of the curve. I truly believe we will be in a better position in 30 days than anyone else in Canada. At least for those who do not live in a big city. But, I am the true optimist. I say, let's go hunting, let's play a little golf, practice social distancing and hopefully with better weather here now we can enjoy more outdoor activities. My wife has just informed me , I, we , are not going anywhere for the next three weeks. Damn, and I just filled the truck up with cheaper gas than we have had in months. Hang in there folks, we will beat this thing and be better for it.

Squamch
04-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Alaska has clarified, it's only non residents that are closed down. It would be neat if they did that here too.

Huntingtyler123
04-02-2020, 06:49 PM
If you look up all the pandemic viruses throughout the recent years. More people dye of the seasonal flu then this thing. Covid spreads fast and no cure, that’s scary. And I’m self isolating but still I believe media
makes it worse

Rackmastr
04-02-2020, 07:39 PM
Alaska has clarified, it's only non residents that are closed down. It would be neat if they did that here too.

They essentially have right now with federal border closures to non essential travel. As long as they are on there will be no non-resident alien hunting.

boxhitch
04-02-2020, 08:44 PM
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/296286/Dr-Bonnie-Henry-urges-residents-not-to-travel-within-B-C#296286
The province is urging the cancellation of all non-essential travel, including tourism within B.C., to slow the spread of COVID-19.
During the daily virus press conference (https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/296257/Dr-Bonnie-Henry-provides-an-update-on-B-C-s-COVID-19-situation) Thursday, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry asked those in B.C. to halt all travel within the province not deemed “essential,” especially to smaller communities.
“There are many of our smaller communities that are very concerned about people coming to vacation homes, to fishing lodges, etc. I am asking people now to forego those types of travel,” Dr. Henry said.
She said smaller communities may not have the healthcare resources to handle an outbreak if a tourist transmits the virus.

Stay tuned for a blockade forming near you

338win mag
04-02-2020, 09:06 PM
I don't see the need to shut er down, I think we are going to have a handle on the social distancing by then, and gas stations, food stores, etc in the interior are all going to have protocol in place. They need the business too, and i don't think its wise nor prudent to shut er down because the USA does. Their Covid thing is quite different than ours.... at this time anyway.

I can see some people giddy over the thought of the season being closed...I can think of alot of things that could go sideways on this one.

HarryToolips
04-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Seen this morning that Alaska closed their spring bear season until further notice in response to COVID 19. Here in BC that hasn’t happened yet but at https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates#, you can subscribe for changes. My suspicion is that it is only a matter of time until something similar happens here. Provincial parks are closed and all recreational campsites are closed until April 30.

I got out yesterday for opener, but with little green up, colder temps and snow things are going to be several weeks yet. Going to keep at it as long as the opportunity is there though.
Well that doesn't or wouldn't make sense but the government does quite a few things that doesn't make sense so.... and if they shut down the season we all know there's too many bears anyway so I'm going to go into the bush and I might get attacked by a bear so I guess I'll have to shoot one in self defence....

wildcatter
04-02-2020, 09:36 PM
The province is urging the cancellation of all non-essential travel, including tourism within B.C., to slow the spread of COVID-19.
During the daily virus press conference (https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/296257/Dr-Bonnie-Henry-provides-an-update-on-B-C-s-COVID-19-situation) Thursday, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry asked those in B.C. to halt all travel within the province not deemed “essential,” especially to smaller communities.
“There are many of our smaller communities that are very concerned about people coming to vacation homes, to fishing lodges, etc. I am asking people now to forego those types of travel,” Dr. Henry said.
She said smaller communities may not have the healthcare resources to handle an outbreak if a tourist transmits the virus.

Stay tuned for a blockade forming near you

I can see roadblocks if this keeps up, welcome to communist Canada.
As soon as the snow is gone I want to go and continue work on my log house
in the Cariboo and it would suck big time if they prevent me from doing that.

338win mag
04-02-2020, 09:36 PM
Well that doesn't or wouldn't make sense but the government does quite a few things that doesn't make sense so.... and if they shut down the season we all know there's too many bears anyway so I'm going to go into the bush and I might get attacked by a bear so I guess I'll have to shoot one in self defence....
I can see you being attacked by a Mule deer and a couple Whitetails too.:lol:

wildcatter
04-02-2020, 09:40 PM
If you look up all the pandemic viruses throughout the recent years. More people dye of the seasonal flu then this thing. Covid spreads fast and no cure, that’s scary. And I’m self isolating but still I believe media
makes it worse

I think it's all blown out of proportion, a lot of fearmongering going on.
Oh dear government save us, we will do everything you are asking.:mad:

jac
04-02-2020, 09:56 PM
I think it's all blown out of proportion, a lot of fearmongering going on.
Oh dear government save us, we will do everything you are asking.:mad:

have you watched the news recently, look what’s happening in Italy. I mean the bulk of people will be fine but this is pretty serious.

MichelD
04-02-2020, 10:25 PM
For the most part , hunting is a social event. We all like to gather around a campfire at the end of the day to discuss our adventure. So who do you take with you? Most of us are self isolating at the moment, so in theory, I can call a buddy who for the last 14 days has done the same thing. Off we go, to our out of the way location and for the most part should be just fine, assuming we only bought some gas along the way and brought everything else from home. 4 or 5 days in camp is really "isolating". Now we need supplies. Are we close enough to home?? Do we risk a trip into a local town? Let's call another buddy. But wait. Where has he been? Do we risk another person in camp?
This virus is the most devastating killer the world has ever known!! Thank goodness , British Columbia starting reacting ahead of the curve. I truly believe we will be in a better position in 30 days than anyone else in Canada. At least for those who do not live in a big city. But, I am the true optimist. I say, let's go hunting, let's play a little golf, practice social distancing and hopefully with better weather here now we can enjoy more outdoor activities. My wife has just informed me , I, we , are not going anywhere for the next three weeks. Damn, and I just filled the truck up with cheaper gas than we have had in months. Hang in there folks, we will beat this thing and be better for it.

I have enjoyed the social aspect of hunting with a trusted friend or two in camp, but to be honest, my most successful trip have been solo and I like it like that. But if we get banned from traveling, yes it will kibosh at least one already planned hunting trip and a fishing trip for may and June with buds.

180grainer
04-02-2020, 10:30 PM

According to mandate 12
Maybe now some of you will wake up and see there's a lot more to C19 than jam packed hospitals that don't exist.

The Hermit
04-02-2020, 11:32 PM
This morning I was pondering the early season elk hunt and thinking how shitty that missing it would be... it is THE one trip i look forward to and plan for all year. It would suck so bad not to be able to hang with the boys and take my bow for a walk.

Treed
04-03-2020, 12:17 AM
Yes, it is gonna suck. If things don’t look good in a week and a bit, I expect a general lockdown with travel restrictions in province. Hope I’m wrong!! They can’t make rules to say it okay to hunting if you can hunt out of your backyard but not if you have to drive. I’ve been out hunting hares from my back yard. Beats hunting nothing and I have a great hare cacciatore recipe. Might get out for bears if the snow melts fast enough before things get shit down. Still 3 ft on most areas at 1000 m around the Loops, except for warm aspects. Makes for great snowshoeing but a long breakup.

HarryToolips
04-03-2020, 06:25 AM
I can see you being attacked by a Mule deer and a couple Whitetails too.:lol:
LOL ya that would happen in the fall during the rut of course....

russm86
04-03-2020, 07:53 AM
From my place, I can get to and from many hunting areas without hitting a highway or interacting with anyone. Even if I need fuel, I do it all pay at the pump, and fueling up once for a day/weekend hunt has no more impact than filling up for work every week as I'm an essential worker. I may not be able to hunt with my buddies as usual, but I often hunt solo or with my gf anyways so I see local hunting as having virtually 0 impact on the the virus nonsense and the definition of social distancing and isolation. With how dismal some meat departments have been looking lately I also consider it a benefit to everyone else as if I'm successful it means 1 less family consuming the supply at the store.

huntcoop
04-03-2020, 08:01 AM
Let’s hope that doesn’t take place here ! How would you prove you need to hunt for food hmmm... you have lost your job due to Covid can’t afford meat . What is the law regarding subsistence hunting currently , and how do you prove you need it .
Arctic Lake

The indians have been playing that card for eons, apparently the $60,000 pick-up can't make it to Superstore :roll:

XPEIer
04-03-2020, 08:47 AM
I dont think it will be hunting and fishing season closures, it will be a total bush closure. Sure hunters and fishers travel, but so do rock climbers, mtn bikers, mountaineers, kayakers etc etc., so shutting it down for 2 user groups will not be sufficient and totally unfair.

Stay tuned

XPEIER

BeerMan
04-03-2020, 06:19 PM
^^^^I think that is exactly what is going to happen. How they enforce it I don't know, highway closures,roadblocks?

Downtown
04-03-2020, 08:30 PM
I dont think it will be hunting and fishing season closures, it will be a total bush closure. Sure hunters and fishers travel, but so do rock climbers, mtn bikers, mountaineers, kayakers etc etc., so shutting it down for 2 user groups will not be sufficient and totally unfair.

Stay tuned

XPEIER

Unfortunately you are probably right, good thinking !

Cheers

HarryToolips
04-03-2020, 08:45 PM

Stay tuned

XPEIER
A possibility but what would it solve? Nothing...

Treed
04-03-2020, 11:24 PM
It would solve people travelling all over the province to go hunting, biking, hiking etc and spreading the virus. If they are saying please don’t use your cabin.... they are going to get to the point where they shut down travel. Especially for recreation, which is how hunting is viewed. Before this is over most of us will be able to say they know someone who has died because of it. It’s not the flu.

Lando
04-04-2020, 08:18 AM
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates

So far so good Fellas.

JAGRMEISTER
04-04-2020, 09:48 AM
hellooooooo? travel from lower 48 would be necessary !

REMINGTON JIM
04-04-2020, 10:32 AM
hellooooooo? travel from lower 48 would be necessary !

BUT not thru CANADA ! :wink: RJ

Osprey87
04-04-2020, 11:38 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned or not yet but Alaska's bear season is back on for there residence. They have only closed it to non-residents as predicted to stop travel from out of country or state hunters

jac
04-04-2020, 12:01 PM
The bc thing says don’t share vehicles. Also says to fish and hunt locally

180grainer
04-04-2020, 02:26 PM
I can't believe what people on here are saying. Resigning yourself to travel closures or not being allowed in the bush? You guys are going to accept that are you? What a bunch of pussies. If they do that, we should all be down at the Legislature the next day and demanding the Government resign and call an election.

180grainer
04-04-2020, 02:27 PM
The bc thing says don’t share vehicles. Also says to fish and hunt locally
What do they say about taxis?

jac
04-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Ya your right maybe you can take a taxi hunting.

Squamch
04-04-2020, 07:34 PM
I can't believe what people on here are saying. Resigning yourself to travel closures or not being allowed in the bush? You guys are going to accept that are you? What a bunch of pussies. If they do that, we should all be down at the Legislature the next day and demanding the Government resign and call an election.

You seem really mad lately, you doing ok?

HarryToolips
04-04-2020, 11:00 PM
^^^^he's right though......

338win mag
04-05-2020, 05:57 AM
What do they say about taxis?
It doesn't say no taxi's.

blacklab
04-05-2020, 06:22 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned or not yet but Alaska's bear season is back on for there residence. They have only closed it to non-residents as predicted to stop travel from out of country or state hunters

They have also restricted travel between communities.

Huntingtyler123
04-05-2020, 06:42 AM
They have also restricted travel between communities.
Where does it say that

bangbangkhan
04-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Fishing and Hunting COVID-19Specific guidance for angling and hunting activities, including but not limited to:

Fish and hunt locally.

Whats considered local? any thing within 4-5 hours drive?

REMINGTON JIM
04-06-2020, 04:23 PM
Sorry have to disagree, if the close it, kiss the whole season good by, if you haven't noticed once you lose something in hunting and fishing you're dreaming if you think you will get it back. Hows the gbear hunting going for you, how about the experimental halibut slot size for 1 year going for you, you see a bit of a pattern here??

YUP ! Getting anything back from from the GOV is nearly impossible ! Especially with Whoregan and his company of Idiot Bandits ! :mad: jmo RJ

abbyfireguy
04-06-2020, 04:37 PM
Once the weather warms up,the virus will slow down and almost go away. With the cold weather in October November it will be back. Let’s hope they have a vaccine soon.
I could give a crap if I miss a season of hunting and fishing, I’ve got folks I know sick with Covid.
Lets get our priorities right folks.
All the EXPERTS are certain about is they don’t know much where Covid is concerned.

live2hunt84
04-06-2020, 06:48 PM
We should absolutely give a crap about having our rights being taking away!,i am actually very sorry to hear that people you know are being affected by this, however you tell me how me being out in the middle of nowhere completly alone, providing food for my family by fishing/hunting is adding to the problem?, completly agree that action needs to taken,im not against social distancing/quarantine (actually kind of like it haha). But being ok with the fact that we could possibly be forced to have to buy food that we are well and able to provide for ourselves is much too sheepish way of thinking for me.

jac
04-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Obviously being in the mountains alone or with a child will not be a problem. it’s when we hop into our trucks
and drive halfway across the province, buying fuel and groceries along the way.

I hope it gets better soon, no way you can keep a 6 foot distance inside a small bush plane.

dru88
04-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Has it crossed anyones mind that its not only the spread they are concerned about but also people getting needlessly injured and having to visit the hospital. Not just us hunters but the ATV guys Hikers, Mountain bikers, 4x4 guys you get where I am going.

Huntingtyler123
04-06-2020, 08:27 PM
I agree with most of what’s been said. Have you realized that with a flick of the switch how everyone is listening and obeying the government with frickin everything there saying?? You see how easy it is to take away everyone rights and how easy the people (sheeple) listen to what the government says. It’s going to be interesting to see how back to normal things go down the road. Hunting locally (bc) isn’t going to be a problem. People keep up with washing the hands and being aware with what they touch and using common sense. Everyone has to gas up. If your going hunting get everything you need to where you live and just head straight to the bush.

boxhitch
04-07-2020, 06:00 AM
Has it crossed anyones mind that its not only the spread they are concerned about but also people getting needlessly injured and having to visit the hospital. Not just us hunters but the ATV guys Hikers, Mountain bikers, 4x4 guys you get where I am going.BC Parks has closed some trail systems with that premise in mind, 'in case there is an accident', to not burden first responders

338win mag
04-07-2020, 06:22 AM
Pure speculation......I figure they will shut the entire bush down for everyone when we get near fire season, they are not going to want to be putting out fires people start. They don't/won't have the resources man wise and the province and country are broke.
Scary thing is we have seen a fire season go well into sept and even oct sometimes, hope not.

boxhitch
04-07-2020, 07:04 AM
Where does it say that

Effective at 8 a.m. on March 28, all personal intrastate travel between communities is prohibited. Travel for critical needs is allowed, the state said, which includes buying, selling, or delivering groceries and home goods; obtaining fuel for vehicles or residential needs; transporting family members for out-of-home care, essential health needs, or for purposes of child custody exchanges; receiving essential health care; providing essential health care to a family member; obtaining other important goods; and engaging in subsistence activities.

The other mandate, which will go into effect at 5 p.m. on March 28, requires that everybody in Alaska - except for those engaged in essential health care services, public government services, and essential business activities - must "remain at their place of residence and practice social distancing."

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Officials-Coronavirus-cases-rise-in-Alaska-with-one-fatality-Friday-569179551.html