PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys - Rock creek.

charlie_horse
03-29-2020, 08:55 PM
My parents just bought a property out in rock creek area along the kettle and I plan to spend as much time there as I can. I've always wanted to get into Turkey hunting but with no experience or knowledge I've always just passed it off and gone bear hunting instead closer to home.

What is a person looking for in regards to habitat for Turkey? Are decoys necessary? Is calling necessary or can I still hunt? I've always seen them along the highway going through that area, but I know private land is an issue. Any fsr's I can check out as a starting point to put some boots on the ground?

Cheers!

walks with deer
03-29-2020, 09:00 PM
tell your mom to throw grain out.

tuner
03-29-2020, 09:35 PM
Chances are they will on farm land along the highway, 20’-60’on the opposite side of the fence.

revyhunter
03-29-2020, 10:48 PM
Look for areas that have water holes, roost trees, and access to food (crops, insect, etc.). You find these in close proximity in turkey country and you'll find birds. Water holes can be as small as a puddle.

Decoys help but arent absolutely necessary. It's worth getting a $20 hen decoy. Toms will be looking for a hen, so the visual really does make a difference. When you locate a bird, don't over-call. It's wild what a couple chirps and dead silence can do to a horny tom. My most productive hours have historically been late morning.

Good luck!

charlie_horse
03-30-2020, 05:42 AM
Look for areas that have water holes, roost trees, and access to food (crops, insect, etc.). You find these in close proximity in turkey country and you'll find birds. Water holes can be as small as a puddle.

Decoys help but arent absolutely necessary. It's worth getting a $20 hen decoy. Toms will be looking for a hen, so the visual really does make a difference. When you locate a bird, don't over-call. It's wild what a couple chirps and dead silence can do to a horny tom. My most productive hours have historically been late morning.

Good luck!

Thanks Revy, that what I'm looking for.

HarryToolips
03-30-2020, 06:35 AM
I haven't killed one yet but I can tell ya they have really good eyesight, they'll pick up on just a little movement...

Krico
03-30-2020, 02:39 PM
Forget about still hunting, their sight and hearing is unreal. Get calls, calling is usually necessary unless you know their route and are set up to ambush. A box call is easiest to learn to start.
Ridges of fir and ponderosa pine are their favourite roosting areas. Decoys can be hit and miss. The fact it’s so fun to hear them gobble causes most to over call, which can cause birds to hang up thinking you’re coming to them.
If you can roost a gobbler and sneak to within 100 metres undetected in the dark the next morning, you’ve got a good chance.
I hunt/ all day long when I’m out there.

goatdancer
03-30-2020, 04:13 PM
Go to the golf course in Kettle Valley in mid winter. All kinds of them there. I suspect it's all private land around there so hunting will most likely not be allowed.

HighCountryBC
03-30-2020, 04:35 PM
Turkey is a really fun and pretty easy spring hunt. Can hunt bears as well but we usually mix in a bit of shed hunting too.

Turkeys are extremely habitual and follow the same routine day in and day out. Calling is definitely key. Easiest way is to roost birds in the evening so you are set up for the next day. For this reason, I'm never too aggressive in the late afternoon/evening, my focus is just on putting birds to bed as you know they will be there the next day. Decoys absolutely help and will help bring in birds that get hung up, which happens often. Their eyesight is sharp and will catch even the slightest bit of movement.

As far as habitat goes, agriculture and private land are the obvious places but don't overlook steep, bluffy country. This isn't Oklahoma, the birds here love the steep stuff with little benches for strutting. Any sign of danger and they are able to jump off and glide down the valley to safety in a few seconds.

Good luck and have fun!

charlie_horse
03-30-2020, 04:54 PM
Awesome.e guys thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.

cameron0518
03-30-2020, 10:15 PM
They are everywhere up there. You shouldn't have too much issue. Enjoy and good luck

Darksith
03-30-2020, 11:20 PM
Get a box call, lots of fun. Its poor mans elk hunting.

Moose63
03-30-2020, 11:55 PM

Charlie_Horse is not a poor man elk hunter......

charlie_horse
03-31-2020, 07:18 AM

And I do love calling elk.

JSaw
03-31-2020, 08:25 AM
I've always had the most success in the morning, I like to start before the turkeys come out their roost tree. LISTEN for them as they're super loud in the morning. I've been able to spot and stalk on a couple and I bumped my Tom last year in thick brush. Look for south aspect slopes with a good mix of large fir or pine roosting trees. If you think it's too steep for turkeys, it probably isn't... they don't mind the very steep stuff at all.

Calling can be fun but I've never found it necessary where I go. I think if you wanted to give it a go for your first time and wanted to save some $$ you wouldn't have to buy decoy(s). A box call is nice though to cover some of your sound.

charlie_horse
03-31-2020, 09:00 AM
Any particular brand for the box call that's better than others.

HighCountryBC
03-31-2020, 09:35 AM
I've always had the most success in the morning, I like to start before the turkeys come out their roost tree. LISTEN for them as they're super loud in the morning. I've been able to spot and stalk on a couple and I bumped my Tom last year in thick brush. Look for south aspect slopes with a good mix of large fir or pine roosting trees. If you think it's too steep for turkeys, it probably isn't... they don't mind the very steep stuff at all.

This is very good advice and something most hunters overlook all the time.

Any particular brand for the box call that's better than others.

I prefer mouth reeds personally. The less movement you make, the better. If you have any experience with using them for elk hunting it is pretty easy to get the hang of.

REMINGTON JIM
03-31-2020, 09:39 AM
tell your mom to throw grain out.

Is it Legal to Bait turkeys ? :mrgreen: RJ

The Hermit
03-31-2020, 10:27 AM
Cool thread! Some big fun chasing them with a bow! Never got one and only had the opportunity once as a happy coincidence while elk hunting. Since they are habitual a guy could set up a tree stand specifically for them... I guess they might have their attention focused on threats on the ground?

charlie_horse
03-31-2020, 11:23 AM
This is very good advice and something most hunters overlook all the time.

I prefer mouth reeds personally. The less movement you make, the better. If you have any experience with using them for elk hunting it is pretty easy to get the hang of.

I do prefer mouth reeds in general but thought something like the hoochie mama equivalent might be the way to go since I've never really.called turkeys before

Krico
03-31-2020, 11:36 AM
No one brand is better than the other. Despite what many will tell you. I have 3 box calls, all good, each just has its own sound - just like each hen does.
hoochie mama equivalent would be more like a push pin call. I don’t use one but many guys do. They are not that popular.

Krico
03-31-2020, 11:42 AM
One other thing I’ve learned is that while turkeys do return to roosting sites, they also change sites unpredictability and on a regular basis. Have seen this many times. Probably more a factor with public land birds than private birds that are being fed. There are some interesting studies coming out proving this.
Don’t assume that because you roosted a gobbler he’ll be back there every night.

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-06-2020, 07:07 AM
Super good podcast by Meateater Ep 214 the Gobbler Nut. Talks a lot about behaviors and why turkeys do what they do. Granted he's talking about easterns but still a lot of tips and tricks in there to pick up on. Worth the listen for any turkey hunter.