PDA

View Full Version : Big Bar Lake

sames14
03-26-2020, 04:57 PM
Hopefully heading to Big Bar lake in June, first time fishing this lake so was wondering what kind of flies guys are using? Also line types recommended at that time of year.

ACB
04-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Hopefully heading to Big Bar lake in June, first time fishing this lake so was wondering what kind of flies guys are using? Also line types recommended at that time of year.
I was talking to a buddy today and he was hoping to go to Big Bar as well, he was saying the Prov. Park isn't taking any res. because it's closed. This Covid-19 is really going to throw a wrench in the fishing this spring and summer!

sames14
04-21-2020, 02:03 PM
I have a reserved site for middle of June. Hope i am able to attend, large campsites so keeping your social distancing should not be a problem but then the powers to be dont see it that way.

xcaribooer
04-21-2020, 04:57 PM
I wouldn’t hold my breath that you will be able to go to the provincial campground in June unless things improve quickly .i guess you could always camp rough on a side logging road and day trip it to the lake .You can launch a small cartop boat on the Clinton end of the lake but you wont get a trailered boat in there. hope you don’t mind lots of mosquitoes , they are brutal there

shed-hunter1
04-23-2020, 08:51 PM
very hard lake to fish be prepared to be skunked

2tins
04-24-2020, 04:01 AM
Do not go. Not worth the frustration.
Plus last year it was pretty heavily ice fished. Two guys in particular were caught with 3 or 4 rods each and a mess of fish. Way way over their limit.
Fishing is slow.

REMINGTON JIM
04-24-2020, 06:31 AM
Nick Name of Big Bar Lake is SKUNK Lake ! as you get Skunked Often - I Know Bad Fisherman ! But Even THE LEGEND gets skunked there and as Rod said you better like Mosquitos as there Abundant . Boat Speed is also only 10 kph to. No boating Sports allowed ! :-| RJ

whognu
04-24-2020, 06:47 AM

that's funny

seven replies (ok, now 8 )

not one answering the question

it's early............

xo

.300 R.U.M. Grizzly
04-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Very rare I get skunked RJ! Lol!

Nick Name of Big Bar Lake is SKUNK Lake ! as you get Skunked Often - I Know Bad Fisherman ! But Even THE LEGEND gets skunked there and as Rod said you better like Mosquitos as there Abundant . Boat Speed is also only 10 kph to. No boating Sports allowed ! :-| RJ

xcaribooer
04-26-2020, 11:34 AM
honestly june is one of the most frustrating months on big bar, when most other lakes are fishing well at this time not so for big bar, there is such an abundance of plankton type critters (daphnia?) the trout mostly go off of larger bugs, the odd ones you do catch are mostly full of these microscopic things that would be tough to imitate. you could try tiny glassworms or possibly work the aggression angle with boobies on the shoals. I no longer fish big bar in june because of this.

shed-hunter1
04-26-2020, 12:32 PM
that's funny

seven replies (ok, now 8 )

not one answering the question

it's early............

xo

If you have to ask what flies then your not a very smart fisherman look whats stocked pennask they are bug eaters do the research spend the time ive put many hours on lakes to figure them out not to just give up what flies to use to some random guy whos not willing to work for it now if theres kids involved thats a difffrent story but big bar is not a good lake to take kids

sames14
04-26-2020, 12:34 PM
Excellent info, Thanks guys.
Scott

sames14
04-26-2020, 12:52 PM
Shed-hunter1, you continue fishing Squirrel River. Good Luck

shed-hunter1
04-27-2020, 08:02 AM
Shed-hunter1, you continue fishing Squirrel River. Good Luck

gone to have to the way things are going around here lakes are getting overrun

REMINGTON JIM
04-27-2020, 08:04 AM
I will SUM it up ! Big Bar has some Nice Fish NO hugh ones But UP to around 4 lbs - But most of the time they are hard to catch - There is LOTs of Feed in that lake so you gotta match the hatch to catch them - I 've fished it about a doz times at diff times of the year and Never had GREAT fishing ever ! I just Like the Camp ground and the Lake - NO SPEED boats or WATER sports - (10 KM speed limit ) so generally Quiet there ! Lots of OLDER people go there ! :tongue: jmo RJ

sames14
04-27-2020, 09:56 PM
I am with you RJ. I am heading up there with a group of well versed fly fisherman. The best part of trying a new lake is learning how to fish it. My enquiry into the lake answered all my questions. For me i fish everywhere, whether it is sturgeon to 1 pound kokanee in Allouette lake but the best part is camping out with a group of great guys.

shed-hunter1
05-01-2020, 08:38 PM
whos this legend guy?

shed-hunter1
05-01-2020, 08:38 PM
i grew up in the area never heard of a legend

Knute
05-05-2020, 07:42 AM
shed-hunter1, the last thing in this world that would happen would be the Legend calling himself the Legend.

RJ is just having a bit of fun, don't make it about the Legend.

REMINGTON JIM
05-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Yes ! Knute is correct ! LOL :smile: RJ

ActionJackson017
05-07-2020, 04:15 PM
If the main site is open, you can bring a trailered boat in, but Rod's correct - Clinton side is roof toppers only. Couple years ago I brought in our 20 foot cuddy-cabin via the camp site, complete with downriggers and drop-top although let's just say I got some odd looks from the guys in their tinnies! Haha.. A bit too much boat for Big Bar obviously, but the missus and kids were comfy when the weather picked up and that's all that matters for me. We brought home a nice 2lb rainbow caught on a fly that the Legend tied up for my kids and this was during the month of May.

https://i.imgur.com/KArSdod.jpg

A memorable event occurred that trip too in that a dusky spurred my daughter when they got too close.. kids talk about that bird to this day.

https://i.imgur.com/hKFHpXg.jpg

shed-hunter1
05-07-2020, 08:53 PM
i know i think i figured out who he is anyway