PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting 07

Sitkaspruce
10-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the moose that the clients gopt while guiding. The hunting was very tough this year, with only 7 moose seen, 5 bulls and a cow/calf. The moose were in the thick stuff and they seemed quite comfortable being there.

This bull was taken when he would not stop harrassing a cow/calf and the cow kept bawling at him and running him off. We zeroed in on the bawling and saw the moose out in the open. He was about 300 yards away and the client made a great one shot kill with a 165 TSX and a 300 short mag. It was his 3rd bull with us.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Hunting%2007/P9280021.jpg

This bull was the only one who really came to the call with all the piss and vinegar that they usually have in the rut. I called for about 20 min in a rain and wind storm with no luck. I looked over at my two drowned rat looking clients and said that we would go over the next ridge and if nothing, then it would be a good night for a road hunt. At the next ridge the wind quite and I could hear a bull racking his antlers in the brush, I called and out he came, grunting and thrashing. I had the client get prone and rest his rifle on my pack. At about 165 yards the bull stoped and I said take him as the wind was starting to swirl around again. One shot and I could see the steam vent from both side of his ribs, but as moose usually do he just shook his body and started to walk again, I called again and he stopped. Put another one into him I said, shot # 2 was a miss, but now the bull was having a hard time keeping his head up, so I said he is done, BOOM goes the third shot and a very load drum like sound comes back to me. I smile and reach down and tell he he just gut shot the poor beast and to stop shooting, he is down. he was shooting a 300 win mag w/ 180 gr core-locs. I had to cape it out as he wants to mount it, it is his first moose. Not a bad moose. 46 " with good paddles and lots of points
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Hunting%2007/PA010025.jpg

My finding with the bullets used was that although the first bull was dead, the TSX just penciled through the lungs and there was not a lot of damage done to them, but because the bull was dead, the bullet did it job. The second moose was shot with a plain old rem core-loc. It killed the moose, but cause quite a bit of blood shot to the ribs and behind the shoulder blade on the enterance side. The lungs were destroyed and it was a complete pass through.

I never got a chance to use the decoy this year, it rained pretty well everyday, my Rivers West clothing again kept me dry and warm and I used the no gut method again and was done the moose in about 1.5 hours from shot to truck.

Cheers

pupper
10-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Good work Ken, Making happy clients!!

Will
10-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Some Happy Hunters and some not so happy Bulls.....:wink:
Thanks for the look :smile:

bruin
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Nice job, that second bull is a dandy!

BCrams
10-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Nice looking bulls and the clients sure look happy !

BlacktailStalker
10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Nice work on making two happy hunters.
Looks like the tsx is bringing lots down this year.

youngbuck
10-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I never got a chance to use the decoy this year, it rained pretty well everyday, my Rivers West clothing again kept me dry and warm and I used the no gut method again and was done the moose in about 1.5 hours from shot to truck

This may be redundant but could you elaborate on the "No Gut Method"

pupper
10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
This may be redundant but could you elaborate on the "No Gut Method"

You skin out one side then peel off the rib and neck meat, remove the back strap/loin, remove shoulder from carcass, remove back leg at the socket, reach under the spine and cut out the tenderloin. Flip over and repeat.

Ill try to find the link that shows how to do it but I filmed the process and when its editing and finished Ill post it.

Sitkaspruce
10-11-2007, 08:43 AM
here is a link to how you do it. Practice lots on everything you shoot (except grouse :wink:) and it becomes easier to do.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html

let me know if you have any questions.

The guy in the second picture was actually an F-16/A-10 fighter pilot in the first Gulf war and he had some damn good stories to tell. He also mentioned that our canadian fighter pilots were some of the best in the world and also some of the craziest. He mentioned that the pilots would save up all their rum rations and have a big party every once and a while that would leave most of the americans lying on the ground, sicker than dogs, while the Canadians would keep going and be fresh the next morning. he swares we have an extra gene that allows us to drink way too much and still function:shock:.

rocksteady
10-11-2007, 09:42 AM
When you go to that link also check out Phoenix's elk wrestling story..Kind of funny, since he is alive to tell about it...