PDA

View Full Version : Need inspiration: Self organized fly-in hunt

Would Rather Be Fishing
03-24-2020, 12:50 PM
Hmmmm found myself in a position of befriending a pilot with his own little plane... Gently planted the seed of him willing to drop me somewhere in the backcountry for a week or two...

While this might not be the smartest of ideas, one can still dream...

Where would YOU go if you had the chance?

HarryToolips
03-24-2020, 02:08 PM
Northern BC for sheep, goat, & caribou...

plumbcrazy
03-24-2020, 02:14 PM
.......I guess if I come with you well hit some honey holes

albravo2
03-24-2020, 02:18 PM
Is the plane on wheels or floats? What type of plane?

eatram
03-24-2020, 02:38 PM
I'd definitely NOT go to my area... if I were you

Would Rather Be Fishing
03-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Good question... wheels...

Is the plane on wheels or floats? What type of plane?

Would Rather Be Fishing
03-24-2020, 02:59 PM
Northern BC for sheep, goat, & caribou...

The thought of caribou also crossed my mind, primarily as I feel like I have gear suited for caribou but sheep/goat appear to be a different and new ball game. Any suggestions as for resources are helpful if that is something I end up considering?

bighornbob
03-24-2020, 03:06 PM
Hmmmm found myself in a position of befriending a pilot with his own little plane... Gently planted the seed of him willing to drop me somewhere in the backcountry for a week or two...

While this might not be the smartest of ideas, one can still dream...

Where would YOU go if you had the chance?

where is the plane located? If it’s out of Kelowna you will have a massive gas bill if he needs to fly you to somewhere near the Yukon border and fly home and come back and pick you up.

wheels are definitely limited to where to go unless it’s a super cub

LBM
03-24-2020, 04:49 PM
where is the plane located? If it’s out of Kelowna you will have a massive gas bill if he needs to fly you to somewhere near the Yukon border and fly home and come back and pick you up.

wheels are definitely limited to where to go unless it’s a super cub

And if he is not experienced in flying in the mountains can make a big difference as well.

358mag
03-24-2020, 04:56 PM
And if he is not experienced in flying in the mountains can make a big difference as well.
^^X2^^^
Dont even consider flying with him unless he is very experienced in mountain flying especially on floats with a under powered airplane . Sh*t happens real quick .

albravo2
03-24-2020, 04:59 PM
Yeah, if he has a bush capable plane I'd start with asking your friend where he is comfortable and experienced flying. If he doesn't have a bunch of crappy VFR flying into and out of dirt strips I wouldn't get into the plane with him even if he said he'd take me for free.

Lots of outfitters have grass strips but they are permission only and they may or may not love you flying in to kill "their" critters.

If he is limited to airports and decent weather, you're much better off driving. It takes longer but at least you can haul beer.

Krico
03-24-2020, 05:25 PM
So far as I can tell you should pick a spot you’d like your ashes scattered.

butcher
03-24-2020, 08:05 PM
My hunting partner has a float plane. We have used it on several northern trips. It’s logistically challenging and weather dependant. He now prefers to drive and charter. Cheaper, less stress, bigger payload. Flying in the mountains is no joke. We have had some sketchy moments.

REMINGTON JIM
03-24-2020, 08:41 PM
I'd definitely NOT go to my area... if I were you

Wheres your AREA ? then he can decide ! :p RJ

Squamch
03-24-2020, 08:42 PM
So far as I can tell you should pick a spot you’d like your ashes scattered.

I heard that the best part about flying small planes is not having to wonder how you'll die.