PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Renovation

Chillybilly
03-22-2020, 11:28 AM
I am sitting at home self isolating from a trip to Mexico. Returned a week ago so half done. Here is a link to my photos of the job start to finish. Sorry they are not in exact order.

https://imgur.com/a/QMgGwmW

REMINGTON JIM
03-22-2020, 11:33 AM
Looking good Bud what size is that cargo trailer ? RJ

Chillybilly
03-22-2020, 11:37 AM
It’s a 7’ x 16’. Inside length is 14’ 4”. After the conversion I can only fit one quad in.

REMINGTON JIM
03-22-2020, 11:41 AM
It’s a 7’ x 16’. Inside length is 14’ 4”. After the conversion I can only fit one quad in.

Tandem axle ?? 2 nd quad in back of truck ! :) RJ

Chillybilly
03-22-2020, 11:47 AM
Yup tandem axle. Exactly my thoughts one quad in the truck.

RambleOn
03-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Looks great. What are you doing for heat?

bcsteve
03-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Looking good. I have a little 6x12 that I did the same for camping/hunting with the kids.

goatdancer
03-22-2020, 12:38 PM
What are you using for covering the surface wiring as shown in the pic of your power bar?

Chillybilly
03-22-2020, 12:58 PM
For heat I’m going to install a 12 volt diesel heater used for truck cabs . I’ve been researching them on the net. You can buy whole kit for around $300 from Amazon. Lots of you tube videos on how to install them.

The covers for wiring I purchased from Home Depot, they have a large selection for covering tv computer cables etc.

https://i.imgur.com/l9hs4bO.jpg

REMINGTON JIM
03-22-2020, 01:16 PM
That heater looks interesting - what max BTU out put is it ? RJ

RambleOn
03-22-2020, 01:43 PM
Looks good. That what I have and it works great. Didn't buy the all in one units. Went through the floor intake and exhaust. Fuel is on the tongue with batteries. Injectors in a box with the diesel tank. Everything dirty is mounted outside. Runs hot and heats things up well. Put it on idle for the night. Wake up nice and warm. You could do the same through the floor in one of your cabinets. About the size of a shoe box needs about 3 inches around to draw air. Vent in one side of the cabinet and out the other.

tuner
03-22-2020, 01:58 PM
I did cargo conversion a couple years back, used same insulation( which worked
really well even in curvatures) the cabinetry was from Home Depot that was blowing them out for $50/ per item pre assembled ( that was a big time saver)
heat came courtesy of a different trailer I had,it’s a small force air propane furnace
instead of folding bunks, I just went with folding cots and foamies from army and navy. Mine was a 7’x14’x7’height with ramp door. Fit my Polaris Rzr 800S with room to spare. Your project looks awesome, looks really well crafted, now you
just gotta hope you get a chance to use it soon. Well done.

REMINGTON JIM
03-22-2020, 02:44 PM
you Guys burn Kerosene or just reg diesel in that heater ? RJ

goatdancer
03-22-2020, 03:13 PM
The covers for wiring I purchased from Home Depot, they have a large selection for covering tv computer cables etc.

I used the same ones when I did my conversion 6 or 7 years ago. I found that they have a tendency to fall down after a while. Anybody have any ideas on what to do to make them stick better?

That is a great looking trailer. You've done an awesome job.

RambleOn
03-22-2020, 03:55 PM
you Guys burn Kerosene or just reg diesel in that heater ? RJ
Just diesel. There are a bunch of videos online showing people trying different things. Diesel is the best, funny how it is also designed to run diesel. I have heard of running some kero, 5% or so if it is crazy cold. Best to run what it's built to burn is my thought. If it soots up it is a pita to clean out. Run it full blast on start up 10 min and full blast on shut down 10 min to keep the burner clean.

REMINGTON JIM
03-22-2020, 04:47 PM
Right on ! So TRUCK fuel is Find to use ! :smile: RJ

Ride Red
03-22-2020, 05:12 PM
Kerosene burns way cleaner and better for the unit. Diesel can carbon these small heaters up. My Espar heater in my jet boat sips kerosene and is a 13,500btu unit. But, kerosene is $3.00/liter.

RambleOn
03-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Kerosene burns way cleaner and better for the unit. Diesel can carbon these small heaters up. My Espar heater in my jet boat sips kerosene and is a 13,500btu unit. But, kerosene is $3.00/liter.
The kero will run and will run cleaner. The problem is it doesn't lube the dosing pump properly. A light mix in cold or limited use for added cleaning is ok but prolonged use wears out the pump.

Ride Red
03-22-2020, 05:44 PM
The kero will run and will run cleaner. The problem is it doesn't lube the dosing pump properly. A light mix in cold or limited use for added cleaning is ok but prolonged use wears out the pump.

Interesting, even the dealers recommend kerosene to keep the unit clean and don’t have any pump failures.

REMINGTON JIM
03-22-2020, 06:20 PM
Maybe a 50/50 mix might work GOOD or ? RJ

The Hermit
03-22-2020, 06:36 PM
Nice job on the trailer!!

igojuone
03-22-2020, 07:00 PM
I kept scrolling through your imgur account thinking there was more trailer build photos. Took me a little bit but I kept going, lots of fun and interesting stuff none the less. LOL

RambleOn
03-22-2020, 07:12 PM
Interesting, even the dealers recommend kerosene to keep the unit clean and don’t have any pump failures.
Interesting.....The name brand Espars probably have better pumps and can run it no problem. The Chinese Deisel Heaters like the one above for $300 all in can't. You pay a lot more for the Espar assuming most parts are of much better quality.

Ride Red
03-22-2020, 07:24 PM
Interesting.....The name brand Espars probably have better pumps and can run it no problem. The Chinese Deisel Heaters like the one above for $300 all in can't. You pay a lot more for the Espar assuming most parts are of much better quality.

I wouldn’t trust a unit for $300.00, you get what you pay for.

walks with deer
03-22-2020, 07:27 PM
we just use a candle to heat dads trailer..all though we installed a sink ,propane stove,and fridge that we can cool down to freeze to make our own ice to add to the coolers full of deboned game..

looks like your quite the craftsman thank for sharring.

Ubertuber
03-23-2020, 07:41 AM
I've used one of the cheap diesel heaters for over a year and a half. Paid $220 for it on ebay. Mines not the all in one unit show above, but exact same innards. I wouldn't get the all in one unit because the pump ticks and can be annoying. I mounted the pump and fuel reservoir outside. I run straight diesel, never had any fouling. If it's been running for several days make sure you run it up to full speed before shut down. Apparently that burns any built up crud.
The unit pumps out an incredible amount of heat and keeps my cargo trailer toasty warm. Once fired up and running without the glow plug, it uses very little battery power. Along with a solar panel to top up your battery, it's a great setup.
If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Rieber
03-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Very nice. I still have to put a diesel heater into mine but I need to clear out my trailer and drive Suzi inside to see how I'm going to strap her in and how much room I have left around the Zuki to place my other components like the heater and the storage bins. I'll likely need to build some overhead storage racks for bins up in the nose similar to what you've done. Very nice to see - I like this.

If it's not too late - consider one or two electrical outlets at the back of the unit - maybe even dedicated cell phone charging outlets.
Swing out vents at the bottom back end of the unit will also help with circulating a bit of a draft from your overhead vent as you drive and this will help rid the fuel fumes you're going to have from the ATV. Just a thought.

Chillybilly
03-23-2020, 08:46 AM
I have many more pics but I didn’t want to overload to much. Never had problems with fumes from quad, once arrived I just leave doors open for half hour and any smell is gone. All gas propane is usually in the back of pick up. I’ll have a look at the Espar models.
Thanks Chilly

REMINGTON JIM
03-23-2020, 08:56 AM
I have many more pics but I didn’t want to overload to much. Never had problems with fumes from quad, once arrived I just leave doors open for half hour and any smell is gone. All gas propane is usually in the back of pick up. I’ll have a look at the Espar models.
Thanks Chilly

My Buddy has a Custom Hunting trailer 24 ft long he has a Wood stove too - BUT his Backup heat is a LPG furnace - any reason you want a Diesel heater over a LPG heater ?? :) RJ

BimmerBob
03-23-2020, 09:01 AM
My Buddy has a Custom Hunting trailer 24 ft long he has a Wood stove too - BUT his Backup heat is a LPG furnace - any reason you want a Diesel heater over a LPG heater ?? :) RJ

I can think of a couple of resaons RJ, diesel is a more dense fuel source, don't have to a pack as much of it and it takes up far less space, diesel works fine in the subzero weather while propane tanks can freeze up.

Ride Red
03-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Thanks Chilly

My Espar is a D4 which burns 0.11 L/hr 3400btu’s on low up to 0.5 L/hr 13,650btu’s on high. Great heaters, but you’d be better off finding a used propane furnace from a wrecked camper/trailer for you’re use. Used furnace will be cheap in comparison and just propane needed for furnace/bbq.

elknut
03-23-2020, 11:07 AM
Might I ask how you fastened in the foam insulation ...Dennis

Chillybilly
03-23-2020, 01:24 PM
Most of insulation I cut was a very tight fit to put into place. The frame on the walls had a lip on each side so you could jam it in. Some I had to glue on, mostly on the roof as the frame was a square tube type. As far as propane heat I’m trying to avoid as it causes to much condensation when cold plus it never really drys clothes out very well. I have Buddy Heater and electric which I can run off my generator. I did do a test on the Buddy, I ran a one lb cylinder through on low and one on high until they ran out. I did one with 2 roof vents open an inch or so and then with them almost closed. All done with digital low carbon monoxide detector. It never once registered a reading, remembering it only goes off at 30 and then reads any numbers. I would never sleep with it on but I believe it safe to have on while ur up.

Ride Red
03-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Propane furnaces don’t cause condensation, only a lack of air exchange does. These units pull fresh air in from outside into the exchanger and then exhaust out. Condensation occurs when we sweat, breath, cook etc and only air exchange removes it from our units. The reason wood stoves work so well is they pull air directly from our units to aid combustion, but you need fresh air coming in to replace it.

Farmer001
03-23-2020, 04:47 PM
Nice Job! did a 6 x 12 and wish was a 7 x 16, enough room for a single quad and bunk beds that fold up. Put a dickinson diesel heater and works great, but "pretty cramped" now and want a propane fridge but not enough room. Plus any bigger and the wife might want to tag along.

Ubertuber
03-23-2020, 06:26 PM
Bob is correct (as usual). The BTU output per gallon of diesel is significantly higher than propane. Look into it.
It's much cheaper to run and the diesel heaters produce 0% moisture. Just dry, hot air, and lots of it.
To sum up. Propane furnaces suck. :)

RambleOn
03-23-2020, 06:34 PM
My first trailer had a propane Dickinson Newport P12000. Great little unit. Double pipe fresh air and exhaust through a double bell vent on the roof. Tiny 12v computer type fan to move the air. Easy on propane and almost nothing for power.

I wanted more heat for the late season so went to Chinese diesel heaters and a Cubic Mini Grizzly for backup. Haven't had to use it for backup but it is enjoyable to have a fire at times. Eco fan on top to move some air.

elknut
03-24-2020, 12:02 PM
Thanks Chillibilly...Dennis

albravo2
03-24-2020, 12:21 PM
I have a cheap potbelly stove for our 20' trailer. Wood is usually easy to find and there is just something about sitting around a fire that makes it feel like a hunting trip. That, and as soon as we wake up we fire it up and heat our breakfast sandwiches on it.

Nice trailer conversion OP!

338win mag
03-24-2020, 02:58 PM
Diesel hey? I am at a bit of a crossroads too now, I built my camper and I have a wood stove and it is great. I do need another backup heat source, propane works for me and is handy but maybe a small diesel heater is worth checking into, right now I have neither for backup.
Do the diesel heater's emit any odor?

RambleOn
03-24-2020, 03:29 PM
Diesel hey? I am at a bit of a crossroads too now, I built my camper and I have a wood stove and it is great. I do need another backup heat source, propane works for me and is handy but maybe a small diesel heater is worth checking into, right now I have neither for backup.

No odour. Essentially everything as far as burn is happening on the outside of the trailer. There is a fan on the unit that moves air through it and across the heat exchanger inside. So just moving around inside air. The 5kw is 17,000 btu. Lots of dry heat. The intake and exhaust are outside. When they start there is a bit of a light smell and a little puff out of the exhaust as the diesel ignites. Once it is up to temp it burns clean.

338win mag
03-24-2020, 03:59 PM
Thanks RambleOn!

Pocahontas
03-24-2020, 04:17 PM
I am sitting at home self isolating from a trip to Mexico. Returned a week ago so half done. Here is a link to my photos of the job start to finish. Sorry they are not in exact order.

https://imgur.com/a/QMgGwmW

This is dope, nice job!

Ubertuber
03-24-2020, 09:01 PM
There is no odour. The exhaust vents outside. There is no connectivity between combustion air and heated air.
I have a 5kW in my trailer and pumps out more than enough heat. It's a little bit bigger than a football and fitted under my sink. It came everything you need to do the install.

It looks something like this. https://tinyurl.com/swlvalf

338win mag
03-24-2020, 09:23 PM
Cool, I didn't realize they were so cheap, great idea!

elknut
03-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Hey Ubertuber...Might I ask how much diesel does this heater use in a trip ...Dennis

RambleOn
03-25-2020, 08:07 PM
160ml an hour on low and 400ml an hour on high.

RambleOn
03-25-2020, 08:10 PM
Sorry, high is set to max at just over 17,000 btu.

Ubertuber
03-25-2020, 08:35 PM
I go through around 3 litres per 24 hours, give or take depending on temp. I leave mine on 24-7 when it's cold. It just idles all day and then speeds up when I open the doors. A 20 litre jug lasts a number of days.
This guy is all knowing of these units.
https://tinyurl.com/tdlf763

(https://tinyurl.com/tdlf763)Edit:
I see RambleOn posted some actual numbers. They looks like they are similar to what mine uses. It runs on high only for a short while then slows down to an idle for the long haul.

RambleOn
03-25-2020, 09:20 PM
I go through around 3 litres per 24 hours, give or take depending on temp. I leave mine on 24-7 when it's cold. It just idles all day and then speeds up when I open the doors. A 20 litre jug lasts a number of days.
This guy is all knowing of these units.
https://tinyurl.com/tdlf763

(https://tinyurl.com/tdlf763)Edit:
I see RambleOn posted some actual numbers. They looks like they are similar to what mine uses. It runs on high only for a short while then slows down to an idle for the long haul.

I did a bunch of research early on and built a custom tank to match my expectations. In reality it throws so much heat that it is on for a few hours to warm the trailer in the eve, bones of the trailer and all. Dialed back to low all night with a spike to burn off the soot and have a more than comfortable wake up and breakfast with all gear warm and dry...out the door we go. Maybe 3L to 3.5L a camp day. I am 8 and change x 22 with 7.5 overheight ceiling.

Chillybilly
03-26-2020, 08:47 AM
Ramble how cold have you camped using these heaters? After all my research and reading what people on here say they look like the way to go. Thanks Chilly

RambleOn
03-26-2020, 11:06 AM
Spent a week between -18 and -26. Might have dropped lower but I stopped looking. Lots of snow before hand so trailer gets covered in ice as the heat bleeds out. The heater will keep up but you want to have a back up source if it goes down. I haven't had an issue but I have backups so don't worry.

Chillybilly
03-26-2020, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info Ramble , I do have back up, but’s that’s pretty cold to be in a trailer. That is mid to late November temps usually where I go, I might try late October first. Would you use winter diesel in them?

Ride Red
03-26-2020, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info Ramble , I do have back up, but’s that’s pretty cold to be in a trailer. That is mid to late November temps usually where I go, I might try late October first. Would you use winter diesel in them?

Use kerosene or diesel/kerosene mix as diesel can gel when super cold.

REMINGTON JIM
03-26-2020, 06:33 PM
Use kerosene or diesel/kerosene mix as diesel can gel when super cold.

What i said earlier ! 50/50 No Gel and Lub for the pump too ! RJ

RambleOn
03-26-2020, 07:05 PM
Seems the consensus is diesel with a splash of kero for the colder temps.

Chillybilly,
If you are looking to buy one you can PM me if you like. There are tons of them for sale online. I have picked up 5 from one seller on Amazon and each kit was complete. One came with doubles. Each unit has worked flawlessly. They all have different versions of parts. The seller I went through has all of the updated parts included.

Ubertuber
03-26-2020, 08:51 PM
I agree with adding some kero into the diesel. The coldest we saw was -20 and the diesel was thickening up, so some kerosene would have been a good idea. Noted for next winter.

Look for one with a remote control. It's a nice feature.

Chillybilly
03-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Thanks Ramble I will shoot you email before I order one, most likely after things calm down. Why I asked about cold weather with diesel my buddy had trouble with a diesel heater in his wall tent when it dipped below -15 or so. He had summer diesel in it he had bought earlier.

Ride Red
03-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Diesel has paraffin wax(for lubricant) and it starts to crystallize around the freezing point which will plug up your little heaters; hence the use of kerosene, which is the light refined diesel. Burns clean, next to know exhaust smell and great for cold weather.

REMINGTON JIM
03-27-2020, 10:09 AM
Diesel has paraffin wax(for lubricant) and it starts to crystallize around the freezing point which will plug up your little heaters; hence the use of kerosene, which is the light refined diesel. Burns clean, next to know exhaust smell and great for cold weather.

I Agree - its more expensive BUT Better ! RJ

Chillybilly
03-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Thanks boys great info!

elknut
03-28-2020, 11:35 AM
Hey ...Thankyou .....Ubertuber ,Ramble On .for the consumption usage ...Interesting ...Dennis

Salty Scotsman
04-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Awesome info on heat guys thanks. My hunting partner and I are currently scouting for a cargo trailer to convert and our plan was to also do a canvas "add-a-room" off of the man door. Wondering if anyone else has done something similar? We were thinking of putting a wall tent style wood stove in the add-a-room and possibly sleep more people out there if needed. Our current dilemma is how we would fasten the "add-a-room" to the side of the trailer. Thoughts??

Hunterguy
04-14-2020, 07:20 PM
Check inside pics of the lodge for ideas.

Chillybilly
04-15-2020, 03:24 PM
Salty This is what I had prior to my renovation. There is usually just 2 of us most of the time. The main reason I changed was time of setup was usually 4 to 5 hours depending on weather. My was made from tarps not canvas. I made the frame out of 2x2 cedar, prefabed. Had a big wood stove which I’m going to sell. The frame was the whole length of trailer 15’ then 10’ wide. I would hold this down by ratchet straps from frame to trailer frame below. The roof tarp went over part of the roof of the trailer then attached ratchet straps to it tarp and connected to frame on other side of trailer. The wall and roof tarps were attached to wood frame with screws with washers on them. For the floor I put tarp down the put canvas tarp on top of that. The canvas was attached to the trailer to cover the space between ground and bottom of trailer. I did this with boat type canvas snaps attached to trailer and tarp. When finished it was solid as rock only shake when trailer did in the wind. I still have all the tarps and wood frame also. I’ll try and find a picture or two for you. Chily

Chillybilly
04-15-2020, 03:31 PM
https://imgur.com/a/n0uK8LU
Only pics I could find Salty.

Salty Scotsman
04-17-2020, 12:16 PM
Thanks Chily! Looks and sounds like a solid setup. Setup time is definitely something we are trying to keep in mind. We thought of possibly sourcing out an awning and trying to enclose the sides but not sure how it would handle adverse weather and getting beat up down FSR's. Ideally we'd like something that will setup in an hour or so I think...

When you come time to sell that wood stove send me a PM.

ACB
04-17-2020, 02:22 PM
Nice out fit Chilly, I guess thats what you have to do with ramp door on the trailer? I have a 12' cargo trailer with barn doors and the setup we use is set up straight out the back of the trailer. I got steel tent fittings from KMS Tools, and we used steel conduit from the lumberyard for the poles, made it a little wider and a little taller than the trailer so we could have the barn doors open while in side. Covered the frame with white tarp and held it down with rocks, you can always find rocks. We would over lap the trailer by a couple of ft. and bungee cord the tarp to the trailer, the top was bungee corded to the other end of the frame as well. I had a friend that did boat tops and had him put a boat top zipper on a white tarp (in the middle of it), bungee corded that tarp first to the frame, you have to have about 5 ft. of over lap over the frame, we used that as the door. With a wood stove, cook stove, old tarp for a floor with fake grass carpet, lawn chairs set up, it take about an hour with two guys that know how it goes together.

Chillybilly
04-17-2020, 02:33 PM
I have barn doors also. We went off side so we could lock it all up when gone for the day. It works well but I won’t even set up unless I’m there for at least a week. I wanted something I could use on weekends with minimal setup time. Big advantages also is getting rid of most of totes and all the stuff from set up that made it into a storage trailer making it a job to go for a weekend.

ACB
04-18-2020, 11:21 AM
I have barn doors also. We went off side so we could lock it all up when gone for the day. It works well but I won’t even set up unless I’m there for at least a week. I wanted something I could use on weekends with minimal setup time. Big advantages also is getting rid of most of totes and all the stuff from set up that made it into a storage trailer making it a job to go for a weekend.
With the set up I have the frame is high enough to close and lock the barn doors. If my out fit took 4-5 hrs. I wouldn't set it up for any less than week as well. Mine only takes about an hour to set up but I will admit it takes about double to knock it down and pack up.

leftfield
04-21-2020, 09:42 AM
Wow great read everyone , thanks to all who shared their ideas. I have an 8' Somerset camper that is really light and that's why I love it but I have to admit that I've been thinking about a 7'x12' or 14' trailer. Maybe in the future so I'll bee looking for posts like this for guidance. Wouldn't it be great if Honda or someone made a small, quiet diesel generator that was super fuel efficient (good for me anyway as I have a 98Dodge with a 12v Cummins). Then all I would have to bring is diesel and propane. Right now when I go out hunting I feel like a full serve gas station.... gas, propane and diesel. Thanks again guys