PDA

View Full Version : Spring Deer numbers

ghost
03-19-2020, 08:26 PM
Out for a quick drive tonight and saw 66 muleys Lots of small deer that seemed to survived the winter well. Hopefully other people are seeing healthy deer numbers in there region

HarryToolips
03-19-2020, 08:37 PM
What region you residing in? I counted 50-70, about a mix of half WT, when hiking around about a week ago...saw about 30-50 muleys the week before that (hard to know if you're counting twice on some)...region 8....

ghost
03-19-2020, 08:48 PM
Region 3 in about a 12 km drive and I didn’t spend a lot of time glassing the timber

lovemywinchester
03-19-2020, 09:22 PM
The deer population is dropping by one or two a day east of Kamloops from the amount of red smears on the highway lately.

HarryToolips
03-19-2020, 09:24 PM
^^^^thats sad, any way you could contact the ministry of highways and inquire about a possible wildlife overpass?

walks with deer
03-19-2020, 09:32 PM
speed enforcment during the start of green up would be better..i emailed the rcmp and bioligist when this occured near me.. three years ago counted 37 hit in 9 days during green-up dam tourists.

ghost
03-19-2020, 09:33 PM
The deer population is dropping by one or two a day east of Kamloops from the amount of red smears on the highway lately.
Unfortunately I have been seeing those as well

walks with deer
03-19-2020, 09:41 PM
yup requeat speed enforcment ask rcmp via email with pics and cc bioligist.

Muliechaser
03-19-2020, 10:15 PM

Thats out to lunch . I would be suprised if you even get a responce to that. As harry said wildlife overpass . Im sure they know the amount of animals hit in areas as road comtractors have to clean them up .

HarryToolips
03-20-2020, 06:40 AM
^^^I suggest doing both....put in the request for both, definitely CC the reg 3 biologist, it is a good idea...gotta remember those does that are getting hit are probably carrying two deer as well.. very detrimental to the herd pops.....

338win mag
03-20-2020, 07:51 AM
I see deer hit in the same area daily, last year in a 1km stretch I saw 3 hit in just one morning alone. Farmer has crops on both sides of the highway, Mule and Whitetail deer crossing the road constantly, its a slaughter.
I know for a fact that more deer are killed in this area annually by vehicles than are killed by hunter's, my buddy picks up the carcasses for disposal.

lovemywinchester
03-20-2020, 08:11 AM
^^^^thats sad, any way you could contact the ministry of highways and inquire about a possible wildlife overpass?

You're kidding right? from Chase to Dallas? Might be expensive??

ghost
03-20-2020, 08:32 AM
Animal overpasses are something that should be used in stratigic locations. What about the deer you guys are seeing do they appear to be healthy,lots of young deer that survived the winter? Saw a 2 point buck this morning

tyreguy
03-20-2020, 09:00 AM
Stop putting salt on the roads and you’ll get less animals on roadways licking the roads and feeding on mineral rich grasses on the roadside during times when they’re mineral deficient.

HarryToolips
03-20-2020, 09:22 PM
You're kidding right? from Chase to Dallas? Might be expensive??
Don't know the area, that's why I was asking with a ? mark....but it's got to be feasible in the odd location one would think....expensive yes, but it won't hurt to at least ask...

GreyDog
03-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Maybe put salt blocks away from the highways and ease up on the salt dumped on the road. When you have flocks of sheep licking the highway, there are bound to be some collisions. Where you have game populations which historically feed on one side of the road and bed on the other, an overpass makes sense and would likely cost less than all the stupid advertising done by ICBC. Instead, ICBC, along with some other special interest groups, advocates for the reduction of deer populations. Here, in my part of the east Kootenays, they've been very successful in this. Where I should be seeing 30 or 40 deer, I'm seeing three or four; same with elk. GD

Yuritau
03-23-2020, 08:25 AM
I regularly see a herd of 20+ muleys on my drive to work in the morning, outside of Merritt. This morning it was 50+, in 4 separate groups.