PDA

View Full Version : How far from town to avoid garbage bears?

bytal
03-19-2020, 08:19 AM
I was thinking of trying for a black bear this spring and I was wondering how far from town should I be to avoid garbage bears? Im not sure how far they roam and travel looking for food.

Thanks

whitlers
03-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Geeze that's a good question. I shot a bear a couple seasons ago on my way home from a trip that was probably 10-15km from a dump. Zero issues with eating him. That being said I would venture as far back as possible. Who wants to hunt so close to town anyway.

Pauly
03-19-2020, 10:21 AM
Geeze that's a good question. I shot a bear a couple seasons ago on my way home from a trip that was probably 10-15km from a dump. Zero issues with eating him. That being said I would venture as far back as possible. Who wants to hunt so close to town anyway.
Personally I try at all times to be 30 to 40 km from any habitations.. probably excessive but why take the chance I figure. Colder spring in the loops this year I have a hunch the season will get rolling a bit late this year unless we see a substantial warm up.

butcher
03-19-2020, 11:50 AM
If they're not in your garbage, shoot them.

In fact, if they are in your garbage, shoot them.

walks with deer
03-19-2020, 01:07 PM
i normally spot them from the porch in the spring...

then use the tractor to move them lol.

walks with deer
03-19-2020, 01:09 PM
any areas that deer will be fawning is where you want to hunt bears...two birds one bullet.

boxhitch
03-19-2020, 01:22 PM
These days, Is there even a dump or landfill that bears can get into
Likely there is more garbage and diapers around a typical campsite

RugDoctor
03-19-2020, 01:27 PM
How much time and gas do you have? Go half that far (so you can also come back!)

J_T
03-19-2020, 04:58 PM
I was thinking of trying for a black bear this spring and I was wondering how far from town should I be to avoid garbage bears? Im not sure how far they roam and travel looking for food.

Thanks
Would the distance from home, not depend on where you live? If you live in Vancouver, you need to get a fair distance out before thinking about hunting. If you live somewhere else in BC, 30 minutes from town is excellent hunting. Where do you live?

Deer_Slayer
04-08-2020, 05:40 PM
I think those days are pretty well gone now. Most towns have electric fencing around the dump.

Mosin
04-08-2020, 09:59 PM
40-50km from the nearest town...and who knows if that's even far enough, those buggers can travel quite a bit in just 24hours, especially during the rut

tigrr
04-09-2020, 07:29 AM
I'd worry how close to a fish stream than a dump. 10 kms from either. They taste best in the first 10 days out of hibernation after the plug is out. Some still had 2 inches of fat on the back. It will be mid may here before the bears come out here. 30 inches of snow on the ground.

srupp
04-09-2020, 11:12 AM
I'd worry how close to a fish stream than a dump. 10 kms from either. They taste best in the first 10 days out of hibernation after the plug is out. Some still had 2 inches of fat on the back. It will be mid may here before the bears come out here. 30 inches of snow on the ground.

Tigrr have you been out towards Hen Ingram..Whiffed. .wondering if snow is any less ? Might be late...usually..almost always snow is gone in Lemon lake bottom end of Horse fly mountain...truck is in the shop...yes again..they found the problem..written in blue and circled..otherwise would have done a road trip to check levels..
Stay safe
Steven

moosinaround
04-09-2020, 11:17 AM
I hunt as far away from dumps as I can, saying that 10-15kms should be good. I usually like to find the bears in the dandelions, clover, alfalfa, grass, Skunk cabbage, oats, all good feed sources for finding bears! Moosin

tigrr
04-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Still 24 inches of snow in the bush and the small lakes have 30 to 36 inches of ice. It will be a while before bears come out.

REMINGTON JIM
04-09-2020, 08:17 PM
Tigrr have you been out towards Hen Ingram..Whiffed. .wondering if snow is any less ? Might be late...usually..almost always snow is gone in Lemon lake bottom end of Horse fly mountain...truck is in the shop...yes again..they found the problem..written in blue and circled..otherwise would have done a road trip to check levels..
Stay safe
Steven

Whats going on now with that old Girl now ? What shop you using ? RJ

Talltimber1
04-10-2020, 06:30 AM
The bears are out here.

happyhunter
04-10-2020, 07:53 AM
Bears are coming out in the west kootenays. Go get em!