PDA

View Full Version : Regions and When the rut is on.

youngbuck
10-10-2007, 11:20 AM
One of my partners ask me if the deer were rutting in the area we are huting when we go later this month. My answer was "I'm not sure". So, instead of asking about our particular area, I thought I'd put the word out to everyone for all game in all regions. I thought it would be of greater interest to everyone.

To make things easier I put together a little form.
Please cut and paste the form below and fill in appropriately.

Species: Deer / Elk / Moose / Etc
Region: 12-1
Rut Start Date: Sept 15, 2007
Rut End Date: Sept 31, 2007

WoodOx
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Mule Deer
Region 8 (most WMUs within)
Rut Start Date: November 8-10
Rut End Date: November 18-20

Whitetail
Region 8
Rut Start Date: Approx Nov. 14
Rut End Date: Approx Nov. 26

Keep in mind these things are not absolutes. Some years it may seem like there was no rut, whereas others it seems like the rut runs longer than usual. Moon cycles (amount of daytime light) is the main factor in influencing time and length of rut. Also keep in mind that rut hunting techniques do work before and following the rut, and also that there are second and sometimes third rut periods for many species.

youngbuck
10-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Agaucher,

Thats exactly what I was looking for.
How does moon phases affect the rut/
I've heard comments that the weather also affects the rut. Is this true?

Huntinfool
10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Region 8 mule deer are starting to rut middle of october on thru end of november. The does usually go thru a couple of estrus cycles. :-)

MichelD
10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Without getting too complicated, I just assume it is around from one week before to one week after Rememberance Day everywhere.

BlacktailStalker
10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
youngbuck;

The moon affects the rut in the fact it affects deer activity, but not just during the rut. Animals are more active in the evenings the closer it gets to a full moon, because of the light factor. They can see better, giving them less reason to be active during the day.
Manypeople think the rut was "short" or almost non existant, but realistically its the same each year and the peak activiy periods differ each year because of this.
Just take advantage of those peak times as you would any other time of year, early am and late pm.
Bucks get restless and will troll for hot does all day, you may not see them but thats where learning their travel corridors and secluded hang outs comes into factor.
Guys that take nice animal more often than not get one or many in the same area or close to it, when it isnt a "fluke."

WoodOx
10-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Althought late october is pre rut, and bucks will start to get a lil heavy in the neck and smelly, they arent breeding any does until nov.

Will
10-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I just found out the RUT has been cancelled for Region 3..........:cry:

youngbuck
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I just found out the RUT has been cancelled for Region 3..........:cry:

Why...

Due to lack of gov't funding?
or
Tree Huggers called in a favour from Mother Nature.

Come on ...spill the beans.
When is the rut usually going in Region 3?

WoodOx
10-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Within days of when I posted that the ruts start in region 8

Will
10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Come on ...spill the beans.
Sorry I was being........not so funny:smile:

Region 3 Mule Deer Rut,

Second and third week of Nov things are generally at the peak...of course things can be a week or two eitherway as well ;-)

Say Nov 10-20th for a ballpark guesstimate if one wanted to hit the "PrimeTime" :-P

brian
10-10-2007, 06:26 PM
The moon affects the rut in the fact it affects deer activity, but not just during the rut. Animals are more active in the evenings the closer it gets to a full moon, because of the light factor. They can see better, giving them less reason to be active during the day.

A little off topic but, I would assume that if bright full moons means less chance of seeing active deer during the day light hours, then new moons and heavily overcast nights would increase your chance of seeing deer activity during the day. Am I right or is it not so simple?

BlacktailStalker
10-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Absolutely right.

Islandeer
10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Well as many of you know as soon as the bucks antlers harden up and they put on their winter colours they will start rutting behaviour. The big dance action is totally dependant on the ladies, when they start to smell right then things really go. To ball park it,Nov 10th to the 20th.

Phoneguy
10-11-2007, 11:06 AM
The big dance action is totally dependant on the ladies,

Just like at home!?:redface: