PDA

View Full Version : August sheep hunt gear questions

huntcoop
03-15-2020, 09:54 PM
For all you experts I’d like to ask a few questions... thinking about a Northern BC August sheep hunt in 2021...

Sitka Ascent pants or would Timberlines be better? What degree sleeping bag would you take?Would Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots get shredded? or would you wear Lowa Tibet’s?

Thanks in advance folks....for now...

nedarb2
03-15-2020, 10:20 PM
I’ve worn the ascent, timberline, mountain, and kuiu alpine pants.
you get such a mix of weather, I’ve had +25c where the ascents are primo. Then cold and windy or rainy where the timberlines are most ideal. But my favorite are the mountain paint or kuiu alpine. Not too hot to hike in but heavy enough for cooler days. All of those pants used in combination with long johns and rain paints cover all your weather conditions.
i would wear the alpine or mountain in aug and timberlines from sept on

Seth
03-15-2020, 10:28 PM
For opener, I take merino long johns and Kuiu Tiberon pants, a zero degree Western Mountaineering down bag and I’d definitely leave the Saloman’s at home and take the Lowa’s. The last 3 seasons I’ve had to wear my down jacket and long johns in my sleeping bag at night a handful of times when the temps dipped. Personally, there is no way I’d venture out with Salomon boots on a back pack hunt. Someone else may say different but the lack of ankle support and synthetic materials are a recipe for disaster. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Weatherby Fan
03-15-2020, 10:31 PM
Honestly you get such a variation in weather that the pants are not as important as a great tent, Rain, wind, hot sunny weather, pea soup fog, in 14 days two years ago we had it all, winds to 40-50 mph, fog, rained so hard we started to build and Ark, fog for 36hrs straight, 33 degree smoking hot weather, I used Columbia zip off pants, perfect weight but not water resistant in the least, a light weight water resistant/proof pant would be perfect.

never.truly.lost
03-16-2020, 05:07 AM
I wore the Timberlines last year - they were way too warm the first day I was walking but after that the rain/cooler weather came in and they worked great. This year I am just going to bring a pair of lightweight shorts and hike with those if it gets hot again but bring the Timberlines as my pant. I really like the cordura seat and knees for when it is damp but not raining out - camp and glassing.

never.truly.lost
03-16-2020, 05:10 AM
And definitely the beefier boots. I don't think those Quest's will be fun to wear side-hilling with any sort of weight on your back.
Lots of podcasts and "western"hunting forums etc. folks recommend them but remember in the states they have maintained trails for almost all their main access - not really the case for BC

For the sleeping bag, as long as you have long johns and a puff you should be fine with a bit lighter bag. I have First Lite Scout30 (-1C) zero issues. Later in Sept I would bring my warmer bag but August is still summer....just with snow sometimes

jac
03-16-2020, 09:11 AM
I was there last year in August and snowed a fair bit. I would go with the heavier boots. Make sure you tent is large enough that you would go crazy if you have to stay in it for 24 hours.

warnniklz
03-16-2020, 09:48 AM
Get a streaming service on your phone that allows you to download shows/movies to kill the tent time.

I've ran mountain pants since 2014 in all sorts of conditions. They are a little warm on hot days, but I just hiked in my underwear until I started bringing a pair of shorts with me. On cooler/cold days I'd just team the mountain pants up with a base layer. Personally I go either sitka lightweight core or stanfields, sometimes some fleece. Depending on what's what.

I personally haven't run timberlines but my buddy did. He seems to like them but hasn't really used anything else to compare them to.

huntcoop
03-16-2020, 01:08 PM
Great stuff guys, I kinda thought the Lowa's would be best..... keep the insight coming.....

AllDay
03-16-2020, 02:52 PM
Lowas and Timberline pants work amazing for me. I run synthetic gear now including base layer. Wear them wet in the sleeping bag and wake up dry. Different things for different people. Crazy variations in weather so prepare accordingly

pg83
03-16-2020, 03:23 PM
Pants: depends how hot you run. I'd go with lighter pants.

Boots: Lowas are going to be way better. Need that support for up, down, and side-hilling.

Bag: keep it light!

Obviously a lot of variables on any mountain hunt, the weather being the biggest one but you are far more likely to have warm weather than cold in August. I didn't see you mention when in August so I assumed opener. I usually will adjust a couple of items at the last minute depends on the forecast.

huntcoop
03-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Pants: depends how hot you run. I'd go with lighter pants.

Boots: Lowas are going to be way better. Need that support for up, down, and side-hilling.

Bag: keep it light!

Obviously a lot of variables on any mountain hunt, the weather being the biggest one but you are far more likely to have warm weather than cold in August. I didn't see you mention when in August so I assumed opener. I usually will adjust a couple of items at the last minute depends on the forecast.

Definitely opener, my bag is a -9C bag with a comfort rating of -2.2C, down and just under 2lbs...

porthunter
03-16-2020, 03:50 PM
Definitely opener, my bag is a -9C bag with a comfort rating of -2.2C, down and just under 2lbs...

I run synthetic for various reasons, the main being that if I'm wet at the end of the day, I can go into my bag knowing that as long as I'm wearing the right materials, I'll wake up dry.

Marmot Trestles Elite Eco bag, rated for down to -7, weighs under 2.5lbs and works very very well!

bighornbob
03-16-2020, 03:55 PM
Get a siltarp or equivalent over better pants etc. Can use it to keep rain off you when glassing for hours. I have even set mine up to provide shade (nothing like getting a sunburn in the hills) when it gets hot on those august days. But the most important is to use it as a sanity tarp so you dont go insane inside your tent on days and days of rain and fog. Even getting outside of your tent and sitting under a tarp watching the fog and rain/ chucking pebbles and who knows what type of bug, beats laying in your tent looking at the ceiling.

BHB

srupp
03-16-2020, 04:10 PM
They used to sell a sil.dome..top notch piece of kit for sheep ms.
Srupp

pg83
03-16-2020, 05:34 PM
I run synthetic for various reasons, the main being that if I'm wet at the end of the day, I can go into my bag knowing that as long as I'm wearing the right materials, I'll wake up dry.

Marmot Trestles Elite Eco bag, rated for down to -7, weighs under 2.5lbs and works very very well!

I still bust out the down bag for the early season trips but have switched to synthetics for anything after Sept 1 for the exact reason you listed.

For more info, and it could potentially be life saving, check the video...

https://youtu.be/VHFBMT_pR9Y

Blockcaver
03-16-2020, 08:22 PM
I’ve had good luck with the treated down. Had a water jug leak once and really soak the bottom of the bag in October on a moose hunt. Bag dried out really quick. If I am a bit wet, I just climb in and wear my clothes dry.

never.truly.lost
03-17-2020, 05:28 AM
I too prefer the synthetic sleeping bag. Perfect example - had a very long day of walking last year and was so tired by the time I made camp (and soaked from rain/sleet/snow hammering down) I just ate a quick meal and climbed in to the fart sack with all my clothes on. By morning everything was dry including socks, just let the wind hit the the sleeping bag for 20 minutes while packing up camp and was good to go for another day.
Not sure how that all works with the hydrophobic down but unless it is dry cold of the winter, synthetic seems to be the way to go.

Quesnel Kid
03-17-2020, 07:31 AM
I typically run a light down bag with a synthetic over bag for fall and winter camping. The heat from your body will push moisture out into the syn bag and it also gives you some flexibility in your sleep system. A different variation on the same concept, but works for me and it is way cheaper then buying a new synthetic sleeping bag. Also huge advocate for at least one sil tarp in the group, useful in so many ways from shelter, to meat care, to safety. Have fun.

huntcoop
03-17-2020, 07:37 AM
I typically run a light down bag with a synthetic over bag for fall and winter camping. The heat from your body will push moisture out into the syn bag and it also gives you some flexibility in your sleep system. A different variation on the same concept, but works for me and it is way cheaper then buying a new synthetic sleeping bag. Also huge advocate for at least one sil tarp in the group, useful in so many ways from shelter, to meat care, to safety. Have fun.

How about for sheep opener....

NMO
03-17-2020, 10:06 AM
Sitka Ascent pants or would Timberlines be better? What degree sleeping bag would you take? Would Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots get shredded? or would you wear Lowa Tibet’s?

Pants: Timberlines are pretty hot for sheep opener in the North unless it's real cold. I've got 140+ days in a few pairs of them from 30º to -20º and I think they really do well when it's 5º and colder. I tend to run on the hotter side, but you'll be sweating like a mofo in them if its over 15º out. Lighter pants and merino long underwear go a long way. Kuiu makes some great lightweight merino & synthetic zip off long johns that do not require you to take your pants and boots off - not a game changer but sure is nice.

Sleeping bag: If you don't already have a decent sleeping bag, a single -9 bag will cover most of your backpack hunting needs. Down is superlight and packable, higher warmth to weight ratio, and today's hydrophobic down bags are pretty damn good. Synthetic is far more versatile, and way less expensive, but bulkier and heavier. Your choice on whether you value ultralight or versatility. IMO going full ultralight isn't a smart choice. Durability will always be less, and versatility in shit-show weather isn't great either. I sometimes run a 0º down bag while sheep hunting in august, however, im usually only a days hike from horses and a wall tent with a -18º synthetic bag in it.

Boots: Assuming they fit your feet well and don't give you blisters, the Lowa Tibet will be a better choice for sheep hunting. Far more durable, and the torsional rigidity (side to side stiffness of the shank/sole) will save your ankles while side-hilling and climbing. If they don't fit well, look for a similar style of boot that does. Fit is paramount when it comes to boots.

Finally: If you are buying gear -- boots, raingear, clothing layers, down, gloves etc -- Don't get suckered into thinking you need to be wearing Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite etc to be a successful hunter. Quality boots, raingear, pack, and optics are more important than what color/pattern you wear. I've been down both the Kuiu and Sitka rabbit holes, both companies make some great products, however I have found that most mountaineering brands build equal or better quality products at a far more attractive price. Packs may be the exception to this, most hiking packs aren't built to carry 100lb+ loads. Outdoor Research is a good option if you are of the "I won't buy from X because they don't support hunting" mindset.

BrookTrout
03-19-2020, 07:06 AM
Not sure about the Sitka pants but I’ve run the kuiu tiburons and they were great and switched over to the kuiu katana pants, both very light. I use good rain gear for an outer layer of its windy and I’m cold sitting around. A puffy jacket is very nice to pack as well, I have a cheap one from Costco I’ve used for many years and has been great. Stick with the Lowas! As for sleeping bag I’ve always ran a light synthetic but switched over to a down quilt, this year will be the test of that.

264mag
03-19-2020, 07:34 AM
Make sure you bring a good sleeping pad, that’s a difference maker for a good sleep. Nothing worse than having to wake up every 2 hours and re-inflate the pad. I switched over to exped pads and have to say they are great. I run a lightweight one for early hunts and an insulated one for late hunts.

kebes
03-19-2020, 01:44 PM
For all you experts I’d like to ask a few questions... thinking about a Northern BC August sheep hunt in 2021...

Sitka Ascent pants or would Timberlines be better? What degree sleeping bag would you take?Would Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots get shredded? or would you wear Lowa Tibet’s?

I’m no expert but I spend 25 bucks on the convertible pants at Costco and never look back :)

KodiakHntr
03-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Not sure why the OP wants to wait till 2021, the 2020 season hasn’t happened yet.

Your first trip isn’t really likely to be that heavy of a walk out, so grab your pack and glass and rifle and some clothes and some freeze dried (and a water filter...) and head up the highway. Pick a valley that doesn’t have tooooo many vehicles parked on it and start walking.

The best way to learn what works for you is by using gear that doesn’t.....(grin)

NORTHERN HUNTER
03-20-2020, 11:11 PM
I’d suggest checking out Fjallraven. Their Keb pant (heavier) or the Abisko Lite (lighter) are absolutely phenomenal pants. Basically all I’ve worn hunting or not for the last 5 years. For perspective I have a few pairs but my favourite pair has been on 3 sheep hunts, 4 moose hunts, 3 caribou hunts and numerous day trips and I still wear them daily, bulletproof to say the least. They also have side zippers for venting and a built in boot hook and cuff cinch.

warnniklz
03-21-2020, 12:15 AM
Not sure why the OP wants to wait till 2021, the 2020 season hasn’t happened yet.

Your first trip isn’t really likely to be that heavy of a walk out, so grab your pack and glass and rifle and some clothes and some freeze dried (and a water filter...) and head up the highway. Pick a valley that doesn’t have tooooo many vehicles parked on it and start walking.

The best way to learn what works for you is by using gear that doesn’t.....(grin)

To be fair... I'm looking Dall Sheep 2021... no problems looking to the future

jac
03-21-2020, 07:37 AM
I wear fjallraven Bartlett pro I think is the name of the style I have and they have been excellent

huntcoop
03-21-2020, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the reality check, any insight on sleeping bags or other relevant gear...

KodiakHntr
03-21-2020, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the reality check, any insight on sleeping bags or other relevant gear...

Sure. Use the one you own. It’ll be fine.

huntcoop
03-21-2020, 03:43 PM
Sure. Use the one you own. It’ll be fine.

Thanks, appreciate your comments.

KodiakHntr
03-21-2020, 05:23 PM
Thanks, appreciate your comments.

Ok. Evidently you aren’t picking up what I am laying down. Try this again.

So my first sheep hunt was spurred by a trip to Liard Hotsprings with my GF on the August long weekends over a decade ago. Coming back we stopped to get a cinnamon bun at the galactic center of the universe. And in the back of a pickup there was a set of horns poking out of a backpack. I nattered at her about sheep hunting and backpacking and the mountains all the way back.
Got back and talked to my hunting partner about it as well and we started making plans for the following year that week. GF offered to buy a smaller backpacking tent for my birthday if that was something I wanted to do.

Came back to work after the weekend and my hunting partner said “how much holiday time do you have? What are you doing next week? Want to hunt sheep?!?!?!”
Had the time, and couldn’t come up with a reason to not go, so we bought some mountain house and I borrowed some gear and we eye****ed some google earth and 4 days later we headed out for 7 days of sheep hunting.

That first hunt I used my Coleman Peak1 backpack to carry an MEC -20*C down bag, my Remington 700 XCR 300 Ultra, and a bushnell $150 spotting scope. I borrowed a heavy thermarest and a whisper light, and wore some columbia zip off pants and an UA shirt and the same scarpa boots I wore for work. And some of the same pisspoor rain gear I work to work every day. The only reasonably acceptable gear I owned for sheep hunting was a pair of Zeiss 10x42 Binoculars, and that new MSR Hubba Hubba.

And there was rain. And bugs. And hot. And we saw sheep and caribou and elk and moose and grizzlies. And we loved every minute of it.

As soon as I got back I started upgrading and changing out the gear that didn’t work for me. First thing I did was start looking at glass, and researching and looking. And then bought a Swarovski spotter (I just couldn’t justify the $4500 for a Leica). Over the years I have bought and sold top shelf packs, and have tried pretty much everything available, or seen it in hard use first hand. I have spent weeks and months researching and buying and selling gear. The only things I still use from the first couple of sheep seasons are my Jetboil Sol (no longer available), my Sea to Summit long spoon, and the swarovski spotter and tripod.

It has been a long and expensive journey getting to this point, and I still change gear as changes to technology occurs and I find something lighter/stronger/better and more reliable, but that is purely for comfort.

HOWEVER, the number one thing that will make you successful as a sheep hunter (or a hunter period), is being ok with being uncomfortable. Don’t have the best glass? You are going to have to walk more. Don’t have the best tent? You are going to be cold and wet. Don’t have the toughest lightest pack? Your back is going to hurt.
Accept that, and do the best you can with what you have and you will be successful.

And you will either be a sheep hunter or you won’t. I’m a sheep hunter. It’s how I identify as a hunter. Right from that very first trip, relatively late in life,I was hooked. And you will be too, or you won’t. Some guys go on a sheep trip and come back and say “yeah that was ok. We saw some ewes. Was different.” And they will maybe go again some time, or maybe they won’t. Those guys have hunted sheep, but they aren’t Sheep Hunters.

When you spend your months daydreaming about sheep hunting, planning for sheep hunting, looking at gear that will let you get a little farther, a little quicker, in the hopes that you might see sheep, then you are a Sheep Hunter, and the gear questions will be more pointed, more researched, and the responses will be of more value to you. Or maybe you won’t want to be a sheep hunter after you try it.

Bustercluck
03-21-2020, 06:58 PM
It seems like there's some experience on this thread, so I'm going to shoot out another question. Does everybody in the party carry a rifle? I went last year and I'm going again this year, but there's probably going to be 3 of us, maybe 4 and we were discussing bringing two rifles. Thoughts?

KodiakHntr
03-21-2020, 07:08 PM
Have contemplated it more than once. Makes it tough to split up though.

The issue I have with it personally is that I’m right handy with a rifle, and I wouldn’t want to be the one holding a can of bear spray in a stiff breeze while a sow and 2 year old cubs are bouncing across the alpine.

That said, I used to hunt with a close buddy and his wife, and she didn’t carry a rifle.

porthunter
03-21-2020, 09:39 PM
When you spend your months daydreaming about sheep hunting, planning for sheep hunting, looking at gear that will let you get a little farther, a little quicker, in the hopes that you might see sheep, then you are a Sheep Hunter,

Amen to that!

mooseknuckler
03-22-2020, 07:47 AM
When you spend your months daydreaming about sheep hunting, planning for sheep hunting, looking at gear that will let you get a little farther, a little quicker, in the hopes that you might see sheep, then you are a Sheep Hunter, ...

Sounds like some sort of sickness...

KodiakHntr
03-22-2020, 09:10 AM
I think you are correct.... How else does a guy go from asking about which pants are best to buy to trying to explain to his spouse how there came to be a $80k skinny water jetboat or diesel 1 ton with stock trailer and a string of ponies in the yard over the course of a few short years... Sheep fever is the only “rational” reason.

Talltimber1
03-22-2020, 10:33 AM
I must be infected. And I dont mean the virus. Haha
Never been sheep hunting but all I do is look at gear and play with gear, work out, watch and read every sheep video or gear list out there, and shoot shoot and shoot some more. I hike with a pack every second day. Sometimes light sometimes heavy.
I've lost 54 pounds and sheep shape has consumed my thoughts.

eatram
03-22-2020, 10:36 AM

It has cost me more business than this "here today, gone tomorrow" virus. Truly I have lost contractors over this "hobby". Never regretted it..... never looked back. I am a sheep hunter. I have a problem....

REMINGTON JIM
03-24-2020, 10:40 PM
I’m no expert but I spend 25 bucks on the convertible pants at Costco and never look back :)

Are they water resistant-waterproof ?? :biggrin: RJ

coldbuc69
03-25-2020, 06:27 PM
the Internet has made it so easy to become a hunter nowadays. it took me years of packing to learn what to bring and what not to bring, but I kepted going, when I did get a sheep, all the hard work and trial and error paid off. now we have fourms that people ask what to bring, what to eat, where to go. I personally do not give advise on anything, call me old school or a dick, but that's what it takes to be a sheep hunter. I've packed the wrong food, starved, had the runs, ran out of water, packed a case of beer one time, froze to death, had blisters so bad I couldn't walk for two days and had a hell of a time walking out, Ran into a grizzly bear on a kill. just to name a few of my unsuccessful trips. I never asked anyone where to go and if I did it would have been sent to zipper lip creek.

tdot
03-25-2020, 07:25 PM
the Internet has made it so easy to become a hunter nowadays. it took me years of packing to learn what to bring and what not to bring, but I kepted going, when I did get a sheep, all the hard work and trial and error paid off. now we have fourms that people ask what to bring, what to eat, where to go. I personally do not give advise on anything, call me old school or a dick, but that's what it takes to be a sheep hunter. I've packed the wrong food, starved, had the runs, ran out of water, packed a case of beer one time, froze to death, had blisters so bad I couldn't walk for two days and had a hell of a time walking out, Ran into a grizzly bear on a kill. just to name a few of my unsuccessful trips. I never asked anyone where to go and if I did it would have been sent to zipper lip creek.

Its unfortunate that alot of guys have your attitude. I've worked in several trades and guys have that same attitude there too. It's unfortunate because there is so much wisdom being lost.

Everyone gets to play their life as they want to, But I know I'll be passing along as much wisdom as I possibly can. One thing the internet is good for is knowledge, it doesn't teach wisdom. There is a vast difference between those two.

264mag
03-25-2020, 07:44 PM
The best part of this forum is the information available. The fact that so many members are willing to share is amazing. Bad attitudes tend to change the moment they need help. Keep sharing HBC!

358mag
03-25-2020, 08:03 PM
Sounds like a great hunt . Been there done that too .
Lord Hates a Coward ,just go do it .

358mag
03-25-2020, 08:06 PM
Are they water resistant-waterproof ?? :biggrin: RJ
Unless it says Helly-Hansen on it its not Waterproof . 8-)

REMINGTON JIM
03-25-2020, 08:15 PM
Unless it says Helly-Hansen on it its not Waterproof . 8-)

Come on Buddy for $25.00 they should be ! RJ

grantk
03-25-2020, 08:44 PM

The hunt didn't get any easier, you just wasted a bunch of time and money and put yourself in potentially dangerous situations because of your refusal to seek out and learn from people that already made those mistakes.

358mag
03-25-2020, 09:13 PM
Come on Buddy for $25.00 they should be ! RJ
Best $25.00 I ever spent :roll:

Would Rather Be Fishing
03-25-2020, 09:45 PM
The fact that you are still married(?) suggests you wife is pretty awesome!!! Good on you!

I think you are correct.... How else does a guy go from asking about which pants are best to buy to trying to explain to his spouse how there came to be a $80k skinny water jetboat or diesel 1 ton with stock trailer and a string of ponies in the yard over the course of a few short years... Sheep fever is the only “rational” reason.

KodiakHntr
03-25-2020, 10:01 PM
Married? No, I just said I have a diesel
crewcab and pack string........

coldbuc69
03-25-2020, 11:14 PM
I never waisted anything to tell you the truth, Im out there for the experience and when I did harvest my sheep it was more special to me then having someone tell me what to wear, and where to go. I have even seen google maps on this site with trials drawn where to go. I live up north and have seen the damage that this has caused. and if you are up here sheep hunting you probbaly have seen the amount of people that cram into the drainages looking at trying to get a sheep that 10 others are also trying for. The Majority of old timers wouldn't give you the time of day on there spots or what to take. But like I said, that's my opinion. Sheep hunters were always a cut above the rest of the hunters in my opinion. now its not that much different from a moose hunter except walking up a mountain, so I guess I see myself as old school and some of you see me as a dick, that's alright to each their own

Deadshot
03-25-2020, 11:54 PM

So my first sheep hunt was spurred by a trip to Liard Hotsprings with my GF on the August long weekends over a decade ago. Coming back we stopped to get a cinnamon bun at the galactic center of the universe. And in the back of a pickup there was a set of horns poking out of a backpack. I nattered at her about sheep hunting and backpacking and the mountains all the way back.
Got back and talked to my hunting partner about it as well and we started making plans for the following year that week. GF offered to buy a smaller backpacking tent for my birthday if that was something I wanted to do.

Came back to work after the weekend and my hunting partner said “how much holiday time do you have? What are you doing next week? Want to hunt sheep?!?!?!”
Had the time, and couldn’t come up with a reason to not go, so we bought some mountain house and I borrowed some gear and we eye****ed some google earth and 4 days later we headed out for 7 days of sheep hunting.

That first hunt I used my Coleman Peak1 backpack to carry an MEC -20*C down bag, my Remington 700 XCR 300 Ultra, and a bushnell $150 spotting scope. I borrowed a heavy thermarest and a whisper light, and wore some columbia zip off pants and an UA shirt and the same scarpa boots I wore for work. And some of the same pisspoor rain gear I work to work every day. The only reasonably acceptable gear I owned for sheep hunting was a pair of Zeiss 10x42 Binoculars, and that new MSR Hubba Hubba.

And there was rain. And bugs. And hot. And we saw sheep and caribou and elk and moose and grizzlies. And we loved every minute of it.

As soon as I got back I started upgrading and changing out the gear that didn’t work for me. First thing I did was start looking at glass, and researching and looking. And then bought a Swarovski spotter (I just couldn’t justify the $4500 for a Leica). Over the years I have bought and sold top shelf packs, and have tried pretty much everything available, or seen it in hard use first hand. I have spent weeks and months researching and buying and selling gear. The only things I still use from the first couple of sheep seasons are my Jetboil Sol (no longer available), my Sea to Summit long spoon, and the swarovski spotter and tripod.

It has been a long and expensive journey getting to this point, and I still change gear as changes to technology occurs and I find something lighter/stronger/better and more reliable, but that is purely for comfort.

HOWEVER, the number one thing that will make you successful as a sheep hunter (or a hunter period), is being ok with being uncomfortable. Don’t have the best glass? You are going to have to walk more. Don’t have the best tent? You are going to be cold and wet. Don’t have the toughest lightest pack? Your back is going to hurt.
Accept that, and do the best you can with what you have and you will be successful.

And you will either be a sheep hunter or you won’t. I’m a sheep hunter. It’s how I identify as a hunter. Right from that very first trip, relatively late in life,I was hooked. And you will be too, or you won’t. Some guys go on a sheep trip and come back and say “yeah that was ok. We saw some ewes. Was different.” And they will maybe go again some time, or maybe they won’t. Those guys have hunted sheep, but they aren’t Sheep Hunters.

When you spend your months daydreaming about sheep hunting, planning for sheep hunting, looking at gear that will let you get a little farther, a little quicker, in the hopes that you might see sheep, then you are a Sheep Hunter, and the gear questions will be more pointed, more researched, and the responses will be of more value to you. Or maybe you won’t want to be a sheep hunter after you try it.

This^^^!!!!
“Some guys sheep hunt, other guys hunt sheep “
Its not about dipping your toe in the water.

whitlers
03-26-2020, 12:00 AM
I never waisted anything to tell you the truth, Im out there for the experience and when I did harvest my sheep it was more special to me then having someone tell me what to wear, and where to go. I have even seen google maps on this site with trials drawn where to go. I live up north and have seen the damage that this has caused. and if you are up here sheep hunting you probbaly have seen the amount of people that cram into the drainages looking at trying to get a sheep that 10 others are also trying for. The Majority of old timers wouldn't give you the time of day on there spots or what to take. But like I said, that's my opinion. Sheep hunters were always a cut above the rest of the hunters in my opinion. now its not that much different from a moose hunter except walking up a mountain, so I guess I see myself as old school and some of you see me as a dick, that's alright to each their own

No harm in passing information along to those younger. Isn't that what experience is all about? Sure people learn by trial and error but people have also learned from others for generations...I agree that no one should expect an x on a map but were taking about food here for fu'ks sakes. Common man give your head a shake. I guess theres the likes of you on this site and then there's guys like Srupp who just enjoys sharing what he has learned and passing some information along. I dont see you as old school but definitely as a dick..

boxhitch
03-26-2020, 07:46 AM
Are they water resistant-waterproof ?? :biggrin: RJresistant- yes. but not as comfortable as Wrangler Performance series pants at about the same price

huntcoop
03-26-2020, 08:26 AM

Some great insight here. A case of beer was on my list but now that you've brought it up, I will re-think my decision. Perhaps that was the cause of your blisters.....? I will definitely bring some Leukotape to save me from not being able to walk for 2 days. You also mention that you had the runs, that must have been horrible, I will pack an Imodium or two.

Coldbuc69, I'm grateful of your knowledge, wisdom and the ability to share advice and help others. Thank-you.

PS, in case you're not familiar, Leukotape is a rayon-based tape with high tensile strength. Its zinc oxide adhesive ensures that once wrapped it will remain in place for a VERY long time. You can buy on Amazon.ca for around $20 for 15 yards, will totally help with any blisters you might have in the future, :wink:, your welcome.

Huntcoop :smile:

porthunter
03-26-2020, 08:50 AM
Some great insight here. A case of beer was on my list but now that you've brought it up, I will re-think my decision. Perhaps that was the cause of your blisters.....? I will definitely bring some Leukotape to save me from not being able to walk for 2 days. You also mention that you had the runs, that must have been horrible, I will pack an Imodium or two.

Coldbuc69, I'm grateful of your knowledge, wisdom and the ability to share advice and help others. Thank-you.

PS, in case you're not familiar, Leukotape is a rayon-based tape with high tensile strength. Its zinc oxide adhesive ensures that once wrapped it will remain in place for a VERY long time. You can buy on Amazon.ca for around $20 for 15 yards, will totally help with any blisters you might have in the future, :wink:, your welcome.

After some bad experiences and wise advice from more seasoned guys, I opted out of leuko tape or anything like that as it just rips off everything thats been healing when you take it off.

I use non stick gauze now. Cover the blister/wound so that when I take it off, it isn't like starting the healing process all over again and ripping off more skin.

tdot
03-26-2020, 08:58 AM

And I like Leukotape to prevent blisters, but have some Compeed incase I get blisters. I'd never heard of the stuff, but my wife blistered her feet incredibly bad in a couple hours on a ski tour in Europe, day 1 of 7 days. She sent me pics and I told her she should probably turn back. But the hut operator gave her some Compeed and she completed the tour without any further blisters or pain. Amazing stuff.

One tip with meds. Since we're sharing information and all. Take enough to get you out of the backcountry. 1 or 2 is often just a tease and is there to appease your mind. If you need imodium, pain killers, anti histamines, etc. You'll want enough to get you out.

coldbuc69
03-28-2020, 02:42 PM
The runs were bad, but learned my lesson with Mountain House Lasagna with Meat sauce Lol, I've down sized from a case of beer to a micky of sourpuss as well. as far as blisters, I've got into the routine of breaking my feet in before hunting season in my training which has helped put a lot, good fitting boots and socks, I'm now wearing compression socks, a bitch to put on but the benefits are unreal

knothead
03-28-2020, 02:56 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by KodiakHntr http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2159046#post2159046)

This^^^!!!!
“Some guys sheep hunt, other guys hunt sheep “
Its not about dipping your toe in the water.

And then there's the guys that forgo that easy hunt and are a step above looking for goats :-P

REMINGTON JIM
03-28-2020, 03:35 PM
The runs were bad, but learned my lesson with Mountain House Lasagna with Meat sauce Lol, I've down sized from a case of beer to a micky of sourpuss as well. as far as blisters, I've got into the routine of breaking my feet in before hunting season in my training which has helped put a lot, good fitting boots and socks, I'm now wearing compression socks, a bitch to put on but the benefits are unreal

There YOU go - see its not all that Hard to share knowledge - your not a Dick - Just a Bit Shy ! :smile: RJ

KodiakHntr
03-28-2020, 04:16 PM
There YOU go - see its not all that Hard to share knowledge - your not a Dick - Just a Bit Shy ! :smile: RJ

Soooo are you saying he’s a grower, and not a show-er?

tdot
03-28-2020, 07:28 PM
I'll second the compression socks. They are fantastic. Limits the swelling in my feet, which helps limit blisters. I still havent put them on in a tent, don't know that it'd be possible in a small single man tent, but a 2 person should be doable.

I also carry Compeed with me. Incredible stuff, apply to a blister and itll fall off in 12-14 days. By then the blister will be fully healed. My wife found the stuff on the Haute Route in the Alps, something happened on the flight to her well broken in boots and by the end of the first day she was so badly blistered that when she sent me pics, I asked her to turn around, cuz I couldnt see how she'd possibly last another 7 days. I don't know that I'd have made it as far as she did. But a guy at the 1st hut gave her Compeed and she didnt have a moment of pain for the rest of the trip.

Bustercluck
03-28-2020, 07:29 PM
After some bad experiences and wise advice from more seasoned guys, I opted out of leuko tape or anything like that as it just rips off everything thats been healing when you take it off.

I use non stick gauze now. Cover the blister/wound so that when I take it off, it isn't like starting the healing process all over again and ripping off more skin.
How many guys are getting blisters on a regular basis. I haven’t had a blister on my feet in at least 15 years. Maybe it’s because I wear work boots every day or because I buy good quality hunting boots, but no problems. Even my wife who doesn’t wear work boots can strap on her lowAs without breaking them in and hike for days straight without problems.

tdot
03-28-2020, 07:32 PM
How many guys are getting blisters on a regular basis. I haven’t had a blister on my feet in at least 15 years. Maybe it’s because I wear work boots every day or because I buy good quality hunting boots, but no problems. Even my wife who doesn’t wear work boots can strap on her lowAs without breaking them in and hike for days straight without problems.

I've broken both knees and badly sprained one ankle. I occasionally have really bad swelling in my feet and itll change my feet enough that I'll blister. Or moisture, if I dont take care of my feet, and the stay moist. Then they have a higher chance of blistering. It's rare, but it does happen.

warnniklz
03-28-2020, 09:01 PM
I don't usually get blisters. Just skin just gets hard and falls off without any of the goo.

coldbuc69
03-30-2020, 01:05 PM
You got me Jim lol, But dont let anyone else know that im shy, It will ruin my reputation of being a Dick lol

huntcoop
03-30-2020, 03:14 PM
You got me Jim lol, But dont let anyone else know that im shy, It will ruin my reputation of being a Dick lol

Ok ya Dick, PM me some GPS co-ordinates :lol:

brn2ryd
05-06-2020, 05:21 PM

This is one of the best comments I have read on this forum.

Iron Sighted
05-08-2020, 08:15 AM

All of my 3 pairs of mountaineering boots fit well, none cause me blisters even on extended days of up to 20km's.

My trail runners though, every damned time I go for a run, by the 5km mark I have a toonie sized blister on each foot in the exact same spot, these just don't seem to fit my foot well. The blisters are in a weird spot on the bottom of my foot too, in the past the few blisters I got, I typically experienced them in high friction spots like my heels.

In short, I guess what I'm saying is boot fit is the most important thing.

jac
05-08-2020, 05:56 PM
I got a small blister/ hotspot in a weird spot last year from side hilling for a couple hours straight

madcalfe
05-08-2020, 07:51 PM
I run kuiu alpine pants, helly Hanson long johns, kuiu merino wool hoody, kuiu Yukon rain gear. And a arcteryx puffy jacket, and 2 pairs of merino wool socks, that’s all the clothing I take for 2 week aug sheep hunts.

jac
05-08-2020, 08:02 PM
I brought 2 pants last year but really only needed 1 pair. It’s always tough to trust your clothing when your that far in the backcountry

madcalfe
05-08-2020, 08:54 PM
The only thing I honestly wish I woulda had last year was puffy pants. Having to sleep under a siltarp on a knoll in a swamp was quite cold.

Jrax
05-09-2020, 09:20 AM
I run kuiu alpine pants, helly Hanson long johns, kuiu merino wool hoody, kuiu Yukon rain gear. And a arcteryx puffy jacket, and 2 pairs of merino wool socks, that’s all the clothing I take for 2 week aug sheep hunts.

For september: 1 pair kuiu attack pant, 2 pairs merino wool long johns, 2 pairs first lite compression socks merino, 1 pair first lite merino wool ginch (they go down to lower thigh), 1 kuiu merino/nylon blend hoodie, 1 merino wool T-shirt, kuiu ultradown jacket and kuiu yukon rain gear, 1 neck gaiter, 1 medium thick wool toque, 1 pair warm light gloves

eriks
05-28-2020, 12:08 PM
I find Patagonia Goretex products to be top notch. I just bought myself a jacket in Cave Grey for $157. Don't know if you'll find much better value than this. Not cammo, but seems like a good color to be in on the mountain. https://www.patagonia.ca/product/mens-calcite-jacket/192964491427.html
My first post :)