PDA

View Full Version : Re: for all you blacktail lovers

Browningmirage
10-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I was just looking at Stevo32s post about the blacktail that everyone thought was a whitetail.

Just thought id bring this pic up, no chance in hell was it a whitey, but there are huge similarities between this one and the one stevo32 posted up.

I may be trying to stir things a bit, but i just want to see what you guys think it is

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc36/browningmirage/?action=view&current=100_2756.jpg
the other pic is of the same buck

BCrams
10-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Now thats a blacktail buck !!

As for the whitetail buck Steveo posted. It was a whitetail!

BlacktailStalker
10-10-2007, 11:20 AM
I've seen lots of blacktails like that.

I should edit this, never saw the other pic being talked about but what was the controversy over, the body or the antlers ?

JAYDEE
10-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Blacktail, I'll Bet.

Will
10-10-2007, 11:25 AM
That's an Elk...........idiots:rolleyes:

MattB
10-10-2007, 12:53 PM
It was a blacktail, there aint no whiteys in the bella coola valley...ask steven rupp :wink:

BCrams
10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
It was a blacktail, there aint no whiteys in the bella coola valley...ask steven rupp :wink:

Its a whitetail Matt - no ands and buts about it. You need to take a mule deer / whitetail identification course over again.:smile:

Browningmirage
10-10-2007, 01:48 PM
If you say thats a blacktail, your right. It however is identical in body size, shape and colour to the one steveo 32 posted. This one was early summer, a 3 point. It was starting to look exactly like the antler configuration that steveo32 posted. Beyond that, look at the body, it looks exactly like the one everyone says is a whitetail. I dont know, if you think this is a blackie, and the other one is a whitey, your on drugs...in a figure of speach sort of way

kootenayelkslayer
10-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Is that a spike/fork moose Matt?? I don't know, cuz I've still never seen one

BlacktailStalker
10-10-2007, 01:56 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15166

Those are blacktails as well, with NO doubts possible, taken on Van Island.

BCrams
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
browning - have yourself another stiff drink and take a closer look. Next thing you know, you're going to be talking about hybrids like PGkris.

MattB
10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I had no idea whitetails have made it to the Pacific :eek:

dana
10-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Come on now Matt, spill the beans. You guys found that whitey in the Kamloops grasslands now didn't ya? ;)

Will
10-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Come on now Matt, spill the beans. You guys found that whitey in the Kamloops grasslands now didn't ya? ;)
Nope I shot the only one of those.........:razz:

Elkhound
10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Will is right.....It's a vanc island Rosie elk

Browningmirage
10-10-2007, 09:29 PM
browning - have yourself another stiff drink and take a closer look. Next thing you know, you're going to be talking about hybrids like PGkris.

I dont think anyone denies that hybrids exist, if they did they would need to broaden their knowledge (read be slapped around a bit). Whether or not they are prominant or not, is another question, bearing in mind their inherited genetics include a lack of survival strategies. And yes, i doubt they exist in herds. However, i expect they exist nonetheless.

As for deer anatomy, arent you supposed to look more at the body then the antlers? If you are judging 3 point bucks for their species by their antlers, you could be stuck for a while (bearing in mind morphs). Looking at the body is my preferred method, it may have whitey configuration, but with a body like a mule deer, i will be punching my mule deer tag...

If you punch the other one because you are judging just by antlers, you are going to get dinged.

Im looking at the body, and it looks blacktail to me.