PDA

View Full Version : how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

simonvancouver
03-15-2020, 01:05 PM
I hear so many hunters "brag" about how they can shoot so many yards etc and like fishing it seems to get bigger after a pint or two. :-P

So how do you get better at longer shots?
how often do you go to the range?
How do you learn to correct your mistakes?

In the States there seems to be courses to learn good shooting practises and range days for teaching people but i seem to be drawing a blank, and i get youtube has many great videos but even as a member of the range here in Kamloops no one offers lessons??

Are we missing something in the hunting world and just hoping people can learn good habits themselves?

So being honest how many of you actually put in OVER 20 hours in at the range to get better at shooting?
There is no right or wrong here i am a fairly new hunter that is trying to learn good practices for all parts of hunting and just looking forward to hearing everyones experiences.

cheers

btridge
03-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Practice Practice Practice....Only way to know and the only way to get better.

ryanb
03-15-2020, 02:20 PM
Shooting is a skill that like most skills is only perfected with practice...no way around it.

I did some marginal shooting in my earlier days hunting... losing wounded animals is no fun! Spend as much time as you can practicing. Realistic field practice is important, offhand, shooting off a backpack etc. I see too many people just practicing off the bench.

simonvancouver
03-15-2020, 02:35 PM
playing devils advocate .... what if what i am practising is incorrect and not getting me better, has anyone seen any professional course/lessons or is it just a thing south of the border?

jac
03-15-2020, 02:44 PM
I went to the range last year about 5 times for 2 hours each outing. We have a range that is about 300 yards max last year was my first year shooting that far. There are hunts where long shots maybe needed if you are capable but for me the long shot is missing a lot of the hunt I like getting close to the animals. I’m no long range shooter 300 yards is max for me.

butcher
03-15-2020, 02:45 PM
Long range shooting instruction every year at the WSSBC event in Kamloops. You know, the one that isn’t happening.

moosinaround
03-15-2020, 02:48 PM
So, are you missing the target? Does the gong not ring when you hit it? Are you not having someone mark where your bullets are hitting? Shooting, has instant results, like faster than the speed of sound results!! Getting better is all practice, If you keep getting the same undesirable results, try something different. Were not sending a man to the moon, it's not rocket science, oh wait Hornady says it is!!!!!! Moosin

Bugle M In
03-15-2020, 02:49 PM
There must be some shooting clubs out there, especially in the States with "Shooting instructors".

The one thing about technology, range finders have definetly helped.
I used to shoot elk acroos the river(always coming out at the same trail, standing beside the same bush.
Always thought it was 200-250 yards.
Now, when I range, I find out it was exactly 326.
Now, when I sit somewhwere, 1st thing I do is range different spots.
To know exactly what I can shoot at, and what I have to wait on.
I am looking to find spots, and if need be, call in a bull to 200 yards or less.
Otherewise, I need a solid frickin rest.

One thing, practice.
And, even if you do it wrong....maybe you are just doing it "differently".
BUT, if it gets excellent results, then it doesn't matter.

There are golfers, like Jim furyk, who have unorthodox swings, yet play fantastic golf.
Don't worry about that.
If the scope whacks you in the head at the range, well then, you definitely need someone's help!...

pin_head
03-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Chilliwack dart and tackle puts on long range shooting courses!

Brad

VLD43
03-15-2020, 04:37 PM
First and foremost be realistic about your present abilities. Don't shoot any further than you are very confident at. As far as I am concerned, the best starting point is at the range with a 22 long rifle. Learn proper technique. Mounting, breathing, check pressure, follow through. When you can shoot consistently high scores at 20 to 25 yards, both off the bench and prone without a rest, you are ready to stretch your wings. Another option might also be 22 silhouette shooting. Proper bench technique is also important when shooting there. The BCRA is worth contacting as they shoot long range. Reloading is also a good idea as range time is mandatory during load development and you can shoot more for the same money while developing good shooting technique. As others have said, there is no substitute for lots of good practice. There are many good shooters out there who can pass along lots of good advice. You just have to link up with them, and that involves getting out to a shooting event or club.

KodiakHntr
03-15-2020, 05:00 PM
20 hours? You are better off keeping track of rounds sent down range.

I would have to look in my book, but if I popped less than 1500 primers a year at distance I would be rather surprised. Shooting is a skill that goes away if you don’t practice.
Every time you go out and shoot you should
be analyzing the conditions and your shots.

That said, shooting at 100 yards is a complete waste of time in my book after you have a base zero. A cold
bore round at 600 yards will tell you a LOT more about your rifle that 6 shots at 100 yards...

I couldn’t care less about a 100 yard shot to “check zero” after a fall. But I will damn sure pay attention to where a 400+ yard shot lands.

Make notes about conditions, barometric pressure, temperature, anything and everything, and where your FIRST round lands when you go out shooting. Not many people fire warm up shots at animals (ok, ok, some folks do, lol), but that first one should be the one you concentrate the most on.

And shoot. Shoot lots. Shoot farther than you would ever shoot at an animal. If you are hitting soft ball size rocks at 600 yards, a deer at 300 is pretty easy.

Astepanuk
03-15-2020, 05:06 PM
Practise is definitely the key I believe but also practising on actual MOA targets it’s frustrating at our range seeing guys hit a 30” plate at 500 yards thinking they are good to go on Game. I Personally shoot out to 1000M at our range and consistently hit the target. I for one would never attempt such a shot on game at a km however it has given me the knowledge and skill to understand the elements that effect accuracy of the shot. I practise long so when the shorter 300-500 shot present them selves I have full confidence to make an ethical kill.

porthunter
03-15-2020, 06:00 PM
I've found less time in the range and more time spent in areas that I can practice more realistic in field shooting situations has improved my shooting and confidence.

Practice setting up prone on dirt, rock, etc. Practice taking shots up hill and down hill, all sorts of different positions to work on and get comfortable.

Range time is great, but I feel practicing for actual real hunting conditions is key as well.

Bustercluck
03-15-2020, 07:10 PM
You don't need an instructor. There's so much to learn on the internet. It's really not that hard to shoot out to 500m consistently if you have the right gear. Start reading articles, find a budget you can work with, pick a calibre, buy your gear, start shooting. you can go as far as you like down the rabbit hole. If you're going to do any amount of "precision" shooting I recommend you start reloading, not because it's cheaper but because you'll start to understand a lot more about the effects of bullets and trajectory and you get a lot more options.

In my opinion, an average factory rifle with a cheap 3x9 powered scope will be limited to about 300 yards.

If you haven't already, start an account on Canadian gunnutz and start reading the "target and precision rifles" forum and also the "reloading" forum.

I think rob furlong does some courses, but I think they're geared towards people with a bit of experience.

Outbound
03-15-2020, 07:31 PM
I hear so many hunters "brag" about how they can shoot so many yards etc and like fishing it seems to get bigger after a pint or two. :-P

So how do you get better at longer shots?
how often do you go to the range?
How do you learn to correct your mistakes?

In the States there seems to be courses to learn good shooting practises and range days for teaching people but i seem to be drawing a blank, and i get youtube has many great videos but even as a member of the range here in Kamloops no one offers lessons??

Are we missing something in the hunting world and just hoping people can learn good habits themselves?

So being honest how many of you actually put in OVER 20 hours in at the range to get better at shooting?
There is no right or wrong here i am a fairly new hunter that is trying to learn good practices for all parts of hunting and just looking forward to hearing everyones experiences.

cheers

Practice, practice, practice. I know hunters who buy 1 box of ammo per year, use 3 rounds to make sure they can hit a pie plate at 100 yards and call it good. That is unacceptable to me.

I shoot hundreds of rounds per year from my hunting rifle, a couple thousand combined between pistol, AR, 10/22, shotgun and long range rifle. I shoot in all weather conditions, from all different positions. I shoot while sitting comfortably and while "running and gunning".

I know my DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) for each rifle. I know my Maximum Point Blank Range. I know my zero. I know my ballistics. I know how my rifle will shoot. For example, with my hunting rifle I know with my handloaded ammunition and zero that I can hold on an 10"x10" target at any range from 100 yards to 500 yards and get a hit with the first shot. I know what my holdovers are beyond 500 yards and have consistently made hits with my hunting rifle at 700 yards. My personal best shot was behind a long range precision rifle and I made a first shot, cold bore hit at 1200 yards.

Making a shot on a game animal is almost always sub-300 yards (especially since I'd be unlikely to take a shot at an animal beyond that) and the target area is big. The shot is child's play to an experienced shooter. It's the finding of the animal and the "buck fever" that make or break a hunt.

Astepanuk
03-15-2020, 08:00 PM
Practice, practice, practice. I know hunters who buy 1 box of ammo per year, use 3 rounds to make sure they can hit a pie plate at 100 yards and call it good. That is unacceptable to me.

I shoot hundreds of rounds per year from my hunting rifle, a couple thousand combined between pistol, AR, 10/22, shotgun and long range rifle. I shoot in all weather conditions, from all different positions. I shoot while sitting comfortably and while "running and gunning".

I know my DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) for each rifle. I know my Maximum Point Blank Range. I know my zero. I know my ballistics. I know how my rifle will shoot. For example, with my hunting rifle I know with my handloaded ammunition and zero that I can hold on an 10"x10" target at any range from 100 yards to 500 yards and get a hit with the first shot. I know what my holdovers are beyond 500 yards and have consistently made hits with my hunting rifle at 700 yards. My personal best shot was behind a long range precision rifle and I made a first shot, cold bore hit at 1200 yards.

Making a shot on a game animal is almost always sub-300 yards (especially since I'd be unlikely to take a shot at an animal beyond that) and the target area is big. The shot is child's play to an experienced shooter. It's the finding of the animal and the "buck fever" that make or break a hunt.

Great comment!!

Quince2
03-15-2020, 09:46 PM
shot out to 850m at lr course with precision rig.
last 2 elk shot at less than 50m, last moose 45m.
distance shootin is fun, but work working on set up and trigger pull even with a .22 will go a long way for hunting

simonvancouver
03-16-2020, 09:59 AM
Guys loving these comments and the great information,
One of you asked if i am missing... no i am not i am shooting 100 to 125 yards only though and while i can hit that standing or sitting or prone or off a table i want to extend my range as i would like to always be hitting 250 in the field or an ethical shot on an animal.
So it was more curiosity and a follow on from a conversation with another fairly new hunter.

Cheers Guys

elknut
03-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Google proper shooting techniques...Lots of info about holding the gun ...check placement ...breathing ...Also a good rangefinder is a must ...A good scope also ...Search and ask questions on Google and get answers ...Go to the range and ask questions ...Hope this helps ...Dennis...Also learn your rifles ballistics ...

ACB
03-16-2020, 10:40 AM
I have a friend in Alberta that stated while we were in route for pheasant hunting, that now he had a new Leopold CDS scope on his 7mm mag that he could shoot out to 650 yds. So I asked him, has he been practiced out to 650yds, he said no, no, but the rifle can now do it. I said back to him, your right, the rifle can but unless you practice alot and prove that you can to yourself don't think that just because your rifle can that you can. And of coarse he took affront to that and helped a two and half hour drive go faster.

BCBRAD
03-16-2020, 11:13 AM
I have a friend in Alberta that stated while we were in route for pheasant hunting, that now he had a new Leopold CDS scope on his 7mm mag that he could shoot out to 650 yds. So I asked him, has he been practiced out to 650yds, he said no, no, but the rifle can now do it. I said back to him, your right, the rifle can but unless you practice alot and prove that you can to yourself don't think that just because your rifle can that you can. And of coarse he took affront to that and helped a two and half hour drive go faster.

I have heard this (similar) on a few occasions, yup shoot sheep at 700 no problem at all, lol.

There is a lot to it, getting hits at long range, if you do not have a scope that reliably holds zero or are precise in its adjustment you are not going to get reliable hits.

If your handloads are not exactly on a node and have an ES in the low teens or better single digit you are not going to get reliable hits.

Ability to read the wind and put a value on it is crucial.

Knowing and applying spin drift, coriolis effect, elevation and air temperature to your calculations accurately must be done.

A perfect bench set up will get the best result, using various field positions will downgrade the performance thus the ability to hit will be closer rather than far away.

Like others have stated , practice in the manner that the target will be presented, especially field positions.

Bustercluck
03-16-2020, 11:15 AM
I winessed this at the range one day with a fella from the Far East coast. He hit the 2' square gong at 400m from a lead sled once with a similar scope and told me he was good to hunt to 400m now.

swampthing
03-16-2020, 11:52 AM
For me its practice. I shoot more than most people I think. This time of year I do the most shooting and have been doing 3 weekends a month at the range. I establish my shooting range abilities based on each rifle and the scope it wears. I use the zeiss z600 and 800 reticles on 3 rifles and shoot them to those ranges. I am about a year into turrets and still learning them but will be at 1000 yards with them. Now as for hunting nothing has really changed as far as realistic distances. I have shot regular duplex reticle scopes to 500 for many years with fairly consistent results. It doesnt matter what rig I am shooting I want my game to be closer than 500. I recently missed a coyote at 685 yards and wasnt surprised. My shooting position was poor. The way I see it the more I shoot at 500-1000 yards the better game shot I will be from 0-500. I am always striving to learn more about shooting/reloading/rifle accuracy.

russm86
03-16-2020, 12:22 PM
I spend way more than 20hrs at the range in a year, the last few years have been less than usual, most of my time has been spent doing sight-ins and load development. Before last year, I probably shot at least a couple hundred rounds a week over the spring/summer in the various disciplines. I really need to get back at it.

The Kamloops range is open to 500yards every day. At least once a month they open it up to, I believe, 900m. One of the long range, I think F-class, groups shoots every Sunday or Monday and anyone can shoot with them. Most are very knowledegable and helpful and I'm sure would lend a few pointers if one was to ask.

two-feet
03-16-2020, 12:39 PM
I dont shoot a ton, but am also realistic about my abilities. I will shoot at moose out to 150, and bear maybe 100. I typically hunt with guys that have rifles and skills that allow longer shots than i am comfortable.

As a note, the longest shot I have ever attempted on an animal is 150 on a moose, most shots are much closer.

WhiteTailAB
03-16-2020, 12:53 PM
How many long distance shooters shoot off a bench? Because that aint gonna translate to the field!!

simonvancouver
03-16-2020, 01:48 PM
I spend way more than 20hrs at the range in a year, the last few years have been less than usual, most of my time has been spent doing sight-ins and load development. Before last year, I probably shot at least a couple hundred rounds a week over the spring/summer in the various disciplines. I really need to get back at it.

The Kamloops range is open to 500yards every day. At least once a month they open it up to, I believe, 900m. One of the long range, I think F-class, groups shoots every Sunday or Monday and anyone can shoot with them. Most are very knowledgable and helpful and I'm sure would lend a few pointers if one was to ask.

Good to know, it would be good to watch someone who has a solid foundation

tigrr
03-16-2020, 05:58 PM
Bench, prone have 250+ hits out to a mile. I have hits near targets at 3000 yards(like within 8 feet, both sides). 1 km wind moves bullet 29 feet at 3000. 5'X6' target at 3000.
Freehand hunting longest is 460 yards on a coyote. A deer or moose I won't shoot past 200 yards.
I know I can because I have.
Once I hit 3000 with a 338 lapua mag I will sell off all my long range stuff. One 308 that hit 9 of 15 inside a 2.5 inch circle at 800 yards is already spoken for. LIG

finngun
03-16-2020, 06:36 PM
there is no many born rifle in the hand [bad for mama too] :redface: most cases only a lot of practice is a key for good shooting skill..know you gun..know where bullet is gonna hit..needs hundreds if not thousands round to be one with you gun.f..g.

358mag
03-16-2020, 06:46 PM
I have heard this (similar) on a few occasions, yup shoot sheep at 700 no problem at all, lol.

There is a lot to it, getting hits at long range, if you do not have a scope that reliably holds zero or are precise in its adjustment you are not going to get reliable hits.

If your handloads are not exactly on a node and have an ES in the low teens or better single digit you are not going to get reliable hits.

Ability to read the wind and put a value on it is crucial.

Knowing and applying spin drift, coriolis effect, elevation and air temperature to your calculations accurately must be done.

A perfect bench set up will get the best result, using various field positions will downgrade the performance thus the ability to hit will be closer rather than far away.

Like others have stated , practice in the manner that the target will be presented, especially field positions.
And that's why I call Long Range Shooting , "Dial a Prayer" for 90% that do it .
Don't believe everything you see on You Tube .

Pauly
03-16-2020, 08:35 PM
I’m comfortable to 400 after that forget it.. and that’s a shot I generally will only take for a big boy ! I personally like to get up close and personal if conditions allow to me that’s real hunting not much hunting skill at 500 to 1000 yards but shooting skill yes . But each to their own , a lot can go wrong at extended distance and I hate wounding an animal I’ve done it 3 times in my life and felt sick at heart about all of them. But that’s hunting

Foxton Gundogs
03-16-2020, 08:51 PM
You know you can shoot XXXXX number of yards because you practised at X and XX and XXX after that. Once you are confident at X you can move on at XX then XXX etc. It's a progression. After 65 yrs of shooting I can ring the gong 50% at 950 yes. So I am not "comfortable" at that range. I am comfortable at 800 yes but my game limit is self set at 500 yds. It's all up to the one pulling the trigger.

festerstix
03-16-2020, 09:05 PM
A static target at the range doesn't move, jump, act erratically. A distance that you can hit paper at is irrelevant once you add the reponsibility of cleanly killing game - then it becomes the distance that you can STAND, and put three shots into an 8" circle. Gain skills and get closer. I've guided hundreds of clients that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if it breathed and moved. But they could poke a hole in paper at 1000yrds. Do better. Don't think you can control variables that you cannot. Get closer.

Rieber
03-16-2020, 09:41 PM
The total distance of my three deer harvested in 2019 didn't exceed 200 yards. Longest one was at 148 yards. This has been pretty typical for me all my hunting days. I usually hunt in sparse woodlots and brush. I use the bench to sight in to 100 or 200 yards depending on caliber and the scope. I'll shoot water bottles and rocks out to 300 and sometimes farther if I can find a safe place to do so. Holding steady on 400 is almost too much for me so I don't bother shooting any further. If I see a deer out at 400, I'm going to get back in the truck and will drive closer. :lol:

MichelD
03-16-2020, 09:42 PM
I know what my main rifles shoot consistently like at 200 metres with me at the wheel and it ain't great. That's why I'm grateful most of my shots are at less than 100 metres and most less than that.

Pauly
03-16-2020, 09:53 PM
I’ve added a bipod to my riffle two years ago I’m just not young and steady now lol but it sure has made a difference for me. I can still hammer them off hand but it needs to be 100 or less now and preferably not moving and broad side lol bipod comes in very handy for the whitetail that’s for sure

never.truly.lost
03-17-2020, 05:37 AM
Nothing can replace someone coaching you while shooting (following the marksmanship principles). Once you have a good base or handle on the fundamentals of natural alignment, position, sight picture, shot release/follow-through then learning what your bullet is doing and what type of scope system will become important. The coaching and feedback are worth more than just learning the scope itself

Greenthumbed
03-17-2020, 09:14 AM
I am by no means an expert shot. I want to be better. While practice is probably most important, some guidance goes along way and unless you have a mentor that you can lean on I suggest books or the internet for some off range studying. This can go a long way to fast tracking your prerformance the next time you hit the range.
Check out the blog below. I just started reading it myself and there is lots of good stuff that you can even practice at home.
Another thing to consider is a shooting sling. Like a 1907 military sling. Look it up. It can be a real advantage to your shooting platform.
https://artoftherifle.com

358mag
03-17-2020, 03:41 PM
A static target at the range doesn't move, jump, act erratically. A distance that you can hit paper at is irrelevant once you add the reponsibility of cleanly killing game - then it becomes the distance that you can STAND, and put three shots into an 8" circle. Gain skills and get closer. I've guided hundreds of clients that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if it breathed and moved. But they could poke a hole in paper at 1000yrds. Do better. Don't think you can control variables that you cannot. Get closer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Words of wisdom there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good post .

tigrr
03-17-2020, 05:22 PM
Shooting at steel targets and shooting at animals is two different ball games.
I mentor people to shoot at steel targets at a mile(58 successfully). I would not mentor people to shoot at animals past 200 yards.
I shoot more rounds in a year than most people shoot in a lifetime. I hunt and fish and enjoy adventures.

BRrooster
03-17-2020, 05:27 PM
By all means shoot from a bench to sight your rifle in, you have to be certain of where it is sighted in for. Test where it is hitting at 100 200 300 etc . ( If you don't have a chronograph.) Use your rangefinder and shoot at various ranges to test poi. All from the bench. Practice with a .22 to better your shooting form and method.
shoot shoot shoot.
it not only beneficial , its fun!!!!
B.

GEF
03-17-2020, 06:43 PM
Hard to get a place to practice at 500 plus yds,so try a good quality 22 long rifle at 100 yds and over .With a good high power scope you can see bullet trace and see the effect wind has on the bullet path.Shoot all positions with it ,especially off hand time.I fInd off hand shooting really helps your trigger pull technique.

brian
03-18-2020, 12:23 AM
Practice, practice, practice. I know hunters who buy 1 box of ammo per year, use 3 rounds to make sure they can hit a pie plate at 100 yards and call it good. That is unacceptable to me. that pretty much describes me with the shotgun these days. Three rounds a year. But my pellet rifle gets a ton more use for a hell of a lot cheaper. That’s how I keep some shooting chops for when an animal presents itself. As for when I started, 20 hours at the range??? Jeez that was just getting started. Regular range practice. Get off the benches and shoot field positions. But really it was that little pellet rifle that made me a much better shot.

gunpower
03-18-2020, 04:09 PM
Many years back, I was out at the rifle range when a couple of guys showed up, wanting to sight there rifles in, for the elk hunting season. Now our range is only 200 yards, but these to guys where swearing up and down that it was a 500 yard range. I asked where they were from, And Lo and behold ( LML ). It just shows you how most people do not and can not judge distances unless you are using a rangefinder. And yes the 2 fellows learned a lesson that day !!!