PDA

View Full Version : Trade 2nd best turkey spots?

Omineca
03-10-2020, 07:16 PM
I'm looking to trade a bit of intel, my second best region 4 turkey spot on crown land for your second best crown land region 8 turkey spot. The bag limits are regional, not provincial, so you can get a spring gobbler in both regions. PM me!
Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqzaykQ23s8 is the best turkey calling how to video I've found so far.

walks with deer
03-11-2020, 09:30 AM
first post good joke...

region 4 turkeys easy...region 8 turkeys a little harder.

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-11-2020, 12:18 PM
first post good joke...

region 4 turkeys easy...region 8 turkeys a little harder.

Very good joke. Too many spots to name in Region 4. Have like 4 consistent spots in Region 8. Would maybe give my forth spot for your first in region 4. And it wouldn't count if I already know it!

Bubbacanuck
03-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Very good joke. Too many spots to name in Region 4. Have like 4 consistent spots in Region 8. Would maybe give my forth spot for your first in region 4. And it wouldn't count if I already know it!

Hey Chris, just curious about the bag limit statement? Do you agree that you can take 1 in the spring from region 4 and 1 in the spring from region 8? I thought we were limited to 1 in spring and 1 in fall as our total provincial bag limit for the season?

Darksith
03-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Hey Chris, just curious about the bag limit statement? Do you agree that you can take 1 in the spring from region 4 and 1 in the spring from region 8? I thought we were limited to 1 in spring and 1 in fall as our total provincial bag limit for the season?

Well it does say aggregate regional, so I would think you can harvest 1 in different regions still

pg83
03-11-2020, 01:06 PM

https://i.imgur.com/RzHiZhn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wsuAYik.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sNRlouA.jpg

Not sure if that clears it up or not, but my interpretation is that you could take one in each region. That said, I've never hunted them and would ask for clarification from someone official. Another question this brings up is could a person shoot 2 in each of those regions for a total of 4 on the year? I didn't find anything from the provincial bag limit page to say this would not be possible and each region's aggregate limit is 2.

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-11-2020, 03:59 PM

After re-reading this, I'm going to say you can shoot one in Region 4 and one in Region 8 in the spring, and do it again in the fall. Making it so you could shoot a total of 4 birds between the two regions. Go to Van Island and there is No Season and NBL....

Looks like I have more turkeys to hunt this year should time allow!

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-11-2020, 04:01 PM
After re-reading this, I'm going to say you can shoot one in Region 4 and one in Region 8 in the spring, and do it again in the fall. Making it so you could shoot a total of 4 birds between the two regions. Go to Van Island and there is No Season and NBL....

Looks like I have more turkeys to hunt this year should time allow!

I got bunged up on the Aggregate two for the year, 1 fall and 1 spring. But that is because there is two fall seasons.... I would always rather under harvest and not get in trouble than over harvest and get dinged. The regulations up here are confusing as heck but then again I don't know where they aren't.

Krico
03-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Ok since this thread is already derailed - I can assure you all that the provincial bag limit is 2 birds (as per the wildlife act).
One in spring, one in fall.
I had an email correspondence with the CO service regarding this last year. Let’s just say I pointed out their lack of clarity in the regs, as well as discrepancy between synopsis and wildlife act.
Their response:
“It seems that it was overlooked and will be corrected. Please note that where there is a discrepancy between the synopsis and the Regulations, the Regulations are the final authority.”

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Ok since this thread is already derailed - I can assure you all that the provincial bag limit is 2 birds (as per the wildlife act).
One in spring, one in fall.
I had an email correspondence with the CO service regarding this last year. Let’s just say I pointed out their lack of clarity in the regs, as well as discrepancy between synopsis and wildlife act.
Their response:
“It seems that it was overlooked and will be corrected. Please note that where there is a discrepancy between the synopsis and the Regulations, the Regulations are the final authority.”

That’s how I interpreted it and understood it as I first started to research turkey hunting in BC.

Sent an email again to re-ask the question. 5 day response time. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Krico
03-11-2020, 07:27 PM
The CO quoted section 11(1)(k) and 11(2). Anyone who wants to argue with them, fill your boots. I can’t be bothered. Offence — species or type of animal11 (1) Subject to exceptions for areas noted in Parts 1 and 3 of each Schedule, a person commits an offence where he exceeds the Provincial bag limit for a species or type of animal as follows:
(a) 3 deer;
(b) 2 black bear;
(c) 2 cougar;
(d) 3 wolves;
(e) one mountain sheep of the genus Ovis;
(f) one big game animal of a species other than those referred to in paragraphs (a) to (e);
(g) and (h) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 216/2000, s. 4.]
(i) 5 bobcat;
(j) 10 snowshoe hare per day.
(k) one (1) bearded turkey.
(2) Where a bag limit in an area is higher than the Provincial bag limit for a species or type of animal, a person commits an offence where he kills more than the number of animals permitted by the higher bag limit less the number of animals of that species or type taken by him anywhere else in the Province.

jac
03-11-2020, 07:56 PM
Safeway in Penticton always has a nice flock of birds. This is my number 1 spot for region 8 but it’s not on crown land. Haha

Bubbacanuck
03-12-2020, 10:40 AM
That’s what I thought. 1 spring and 1 fall for a total of 2 for the year no matter regional.

Redthies
03-12-2020, 09:25 PM
That’s what I thought. 1 spring and 1 fall for a total of 2 for the year no matter regional.

This is correct. One in spring (MUST be bearded), and one in fall (any bird) province wide.

Omineca
03-12-2020, 10:56 PM
In region 4 it took me 3 days to see a hen, 5 to hear a gobble, and 6 to harvest a tom, maybe I was in the wrong valley. I wasn't meaning to be offensive or unreasonable. It's a moot point anyways if the bag limit is actually provincial, and not regional as set out in the regs.

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-13-2020, 04:39 PM
In region 4 it took me 3 days to see a hen, 5 to hear a gobble, and 6 to harvest a tom, maybe I was in the wrong valley. I wasn't meaning to be offensive or unreasonable. It's a moot point anyways if the bag limit is actually provincial, and not regional as set out in the regs.

Sounds like a turkey hunt to me! Especially when you are hunting somewhere with lower bird density then what you are use to!

Redthies
03-16-2020, 08:24 AM

The don’t call ‘em “winged whitetail” for nothing. They can be hard to find, and when you do, they are way smarter than you’d think! Personally, I love to hunt turkey. It’s probably my favorite hunt.

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-26-2020, 02:35 PM
Response from my email....

Thank you for your email dated March 11, 2020, regarding bag limits for turkey. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

The Provincial bag limit for bearded turkey is one.

The regional bag limits for turkey are:

Region 1: No Bag Limit
Region 4: The bag limit for turkey is 2.

In the spring the bag limit is one bearded turkey.
In the fall the bag limit is one turkey.

Region 8: The bag limit for turkey is 2.

My interpretation of this is that a person cannot harvest more than one bearded turkey per year. Any harvest beyond one bearded turkey must be a female turkey.

Note that turkey seasons in the Kootenays, and the provincial bag limit for turkey are currently under review and subject to change. Please refer to the 2020-2022 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis, anticipated to be published in June, 2020, for more information.

Regards,

Krico
03-26-2020, 03:12 PM
I’d love to know how he interprets what’s printed to mean that you can only shoot 1 bearded turkey per year.

Krico
03-26-2020, 03:14 PM
That also contradicts what was sent to me by a CO.
Which I am of course keeping on record.

Bubbacanuck
03-26-2020, 03:48 PM
I read it as:
1 turkey in the spring max, must be bearded
1 turkey in the fall max, any turkey (bearded or not)
Max 2 turkey per year provincially

I could be wrong but just my interpretation.

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Ya, I don't know @KRICCO just passing along the response I got.... it's funny when the regulators can't read their own regulations.

walks with deer
03-26-2020, 08:03 PM
hey if tou have time and money two get two in each ragion.. what differenNce would it make.

HighCountryBC
03-26-2020, 08:23 PM
CO's interpret the law incorrectly all the time.

The regs spell it out very clearly. 2 turkeys per license year - 1 in spring season (bearded), 1 in fall (any).

HighCountryBC
03-26-2020, 08:24 PM
I read it as:
1 turkey in the spring max, must be bearded
1 turkey in the fall max, any turkey (bearded or not)
Max 2 turkey per year provincially

I could be wrong but just my interpretation.

You are correct.

Bubbacanuck
03-27-2020, 09:25 AM
You are correct.

Oh boy, I can't wait to tell my wife!! haha