PDA

View Full Version : spring or fall bear?

pointandshoot
10-09-2007, 08:23 PM
hey guys and gals, i'm a bit new to hunting and am pondering the thought of going for a black bear. now i'm wondering whats better bear for eating...spring bear or a fall bear? also, if anyone knows of a good web site for hide tanning, or preparing hide fire it on here. thanks

jimh
10-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I used the chilcotin fur tannery last year and was amazed at how quickly I got it back. Here is a link. Jim
http://www.cftannery.com/index.html

kaptkannon
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Both spring and fall have their own unique qualities. When I lived in Manitoba we used to basically refer to them as Bush pigs and treated them the same way. Bear ham, bear bacon and sausage in the fall. Bear steaks, Bear roast, Bear sausage in the spring. I personally loved bear bacon.

houndogger
10-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Them fall berry or corn bears are some good eating. I said fall8-)

Brambles
10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I voted spring because I only shoot spring bears, much less fat on them, you'll see what I mean if you shoot a Fall bear.......

martyonthewater
10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
spring is leaner, but that fat can be awfull handy, take it in the fall and trim at will, just keep the wet wipes handy and plentifull

Will
10-10-2007, 08:51 AM
I generally only "Hunt" for bears in the spring.........too many other critters to chase in the Fall.
That 4 inches of stinky Lard on a fall Bear is too slimy to work with:wink: