PDA

View Full Version : BBQ sauce

stosto
03-06-2020, 07:36 PM
Now that the prime cuts are gone, i am slowcooking the tougher cuts like neck or shoulder for shredded venison dishes. Store-bought BBQ sauces are usually quite sweet. So i am wondering if you can share a good, game appropriate BBQ sause recipe? Family heirloom recipes are welcome.
Thanks

Banker
03-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Instant Pot Venison Bourguignon - try this - not sweet, but savoury - will soften up the tougher cuts

Ingredients

1 tablespoon oil
6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
3 pounds Venison, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup red cooking wine
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 beef boullion cube, crushed
1/4 cup flour
2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped or 3 teaspoons dried thyme
1 pound baby potatoes
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1-2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
chopped parsley for garnish

Instructions

Set instant pot to SAUTE. Drizzle with oil and sear bacon 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
Add venison to pot and sear 3-4 minutes, using tongs to rotate periodically to brown all sides.
Add red wine to the pot, scrape any brown bits off the bottom and sides of the pot and into the liquid. Simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes. Gradually add beef broth, tomato sauce, and boullion. Gradually whisk in flour.
Stir in bacon, carrots, onions, garlic, thyme, potatoes, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cover and set to PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL. Set to 45 minutes.
Do a natural release for 10 minutes (do nothing, just allow to depressurize during this time) then switch valve to VENT and do a quick release. Once float valve drops, remove lid. Set to SAUTE again and allow to thicken for 5-10 minutes.
Give it a good stir and taste before adding salt and pepper if needed and garnishing with chopped parsley.

GEF
03-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Try this Chilindron recipe off of Meat eater show ,Hank Shaw was on.This is really good !Just did a neck roast cubed up .You really need to brown the heck out of it like the recipe says but man is it good . My new favorite .You can use shank , brisket or rib meat too .
https://honest-food.net/spanish-chilindron-stew/

tigrr
03-06-2020, 08:39 PM
Slow cooker for 6-8 hours. 4-8lb deer leg or neck roast. 1/4 cup of no name beef bullion liquid. 2 onions and 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper. 5 nuggets of garlic, sliced up. In a new slow cooker liner to save on cleanup. 1/2 cup of water. Almost pulled pork consistency.

DannyO
03-07-2020, 03:01 AM
Try this Chilindron recipe off of Meat eater show ,Hank Shaw was on.This is really good !Just did a neck roast cubed up .You really need to brown the heck out of it like the recipe says but man is it good . My new favorite .You can use shank , brisket or rib meat too .

Although I’m not lucky enough to have game meat to try it with ,I’ve made this with beef several times, this recipe is fantastic! Ive made it for family, all enjoyed . I highly recommend Giving it a go.

madcalfe
03-07-2020, 11:26 AM
i just marinade all the tougher cuts of meat in coke and some bbq sauce for 24hrs then onto the bbq:lol:

stosto
03-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Some great suggestions that will be tried shortly.

Keep them coming

barongan
03-08-2020, 09:15 AM
nice sharinghttps://babang.xyz/assets/10/o.png

ElectricDyck
03-08-2020, 09:59 AM
I'm not a big fan of bullseye or kraft type bbq sauces, they taste super sweet and artificial..we are stocked with Guy Fiereres (spelling?) from costco..that stuff is good! All the styles have layers of authentic tasting flavors with a subtle smokiness.

Edzzed
03-08-2020, 11:57 AM
I'm not a big fan of bullseye or kraft type bbq sauces, they taste super sweet and artificial..we are stocked with Guy Fiereres (spelling?) from costco..that stuff is good! All the styles have layers of authentic tasting flavors with a subtle smokiness.I kind of like the Fieres stuff however Cattleboyz is awesome. I take a bunch of different BBQ sauces and put them in the mixing bowl along with finely chopped onion, garlic and if you can get it, It is called "EVERYTHING bagel topping". Then I pour it back into the bottles. I also add some decarboxylated cannabis which is ground down to a fine powder. People always seem to have a smile when they come for a BBQ. If you can find the movie, Baked in Brooklyn. It's hilarious.....

northof49
03-08-2020, 12:45 PM

This looks great....will give it a try. Thx

William88
03-10-2020, 11:21 PM
This one is of the sweeter variety but its great for glazing.

900g Ketchup
180ml Apple Cider Vin
150g Brown Sugar
90g Pineapple juice
90g Molasses
15ml Worcestershire
75ml (2.5oz) Bourbon (optional)

Bring to a simmer, keep steady just below a simmer where you get a very slow bubble and reduce down for 20minutes. Total yield should be around 750ml for thicker sauce, more if you like it thin.

Ride Red
03-11-2020, 06:55 AM
This one is of the sweeter variety but its great for glazing.

900g Ketchup
180ml Apple Cider Vin
150g Brown Sugar
90g Pineapple juice
90g Molasses
15ml Worcestershire
75ml (2.5oz) Bourbon (optional)

Bring to a simmer, keep steady just below a simmer where you get a very slow bubble and reduce down for 20minutes. Total yield should be around 750ml for thicker sauce, more if you like it thin.

I do one similar to this but added cumin, garlic, chili and cayenne. Great on ribs or any other pork product. Makes amazing pulled pork nachos and pulled pork mac/cheese.

Note: Try using demerarra sugar.

Elkaholic
03-11-2020, 01:21 PM
I'm not a big fan of bullseye or kraft type bbq sauces, they taste super sweet and artificial..we are stocked with Guy Fiereres (spelling?) from costco..that stuff is good! All the styles have layers of authentic tasting flavors with a subtle smokiness.

Nice to see another person liking the Guy Fierri(sp?) sauces too. My son and I have just taken to them like flys to sh!t. Only part I hate is having to travel to buy it as no Costco here in Cranbrook.