PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 hunting trip report

highcountry88
10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Took my youngest son to hunt Region 8 and get him his first mulie. We were hunting with a buddy who hunts several evenings a week because he is 5 minutes away from a hunting area....everything looks good for getting my son his first mulie buck and maybe an elusive immature bull moose.

Arrived Friday night at 6:00 PM and started checking out some hunting spots....just a few minutes later, we saw a young 4 point white-tail and a couple of does at very last light.....about a 300 yard shot...passed up the long shot.....but we were excited for what we would see the next day.

Saturday morning...up early and in a nice cut block before first light.....unfortunately no mulies....just a coyote that almost ran into us.

About 4:30pm, spotted a moose butt about 150 yards away sticking out from behind a willow...turns out to be a cow moose....second moose spotted 30 feet away and won't show it head.....it turned out to be a cow.....we thought we seen it start to grow horns, but no luck. Spotted a 40" bull bedded down beside the cows....looked for an immy, maybe a mamas boy that could be hanging with the herd...no luck....played with some calling and took a video, but it was too shakey to post.

Two hours later at last light, two fork horn white-tails and a couple of does spotted, but we were too close to town....

Sunday morning.....spotted 7 mulie does and 2 cow moose....no bucks....

Scored zilch on filling the freezer but sure had a great time with my son.

sparkes3
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
thats all that matters

thatskindafunny
10-09-2007, 06:20 PM
And that's all what counts!!!

Will
10-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Scored zilch on filling the freezer but sure had a great time with my son.
Scored smored......You got the Best Trophy ;)

Can't wait..my son is 6, pretty soon:grin:

Sharkey
10-09-2007, 09:34 PM
That's a great story - sounds like you had a superb time with your boy.

martyonthewater
10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
good call on passing up the long shot, good ethics re-enforced and a great experience shared.

bruin
10-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I remember the days of hunting region 8, fondest childhood memories. ANd I am sure they will be for your son too. Keep it up.