PDA

View Full Version : How to fish for Alouette Lake bull trout

ekul246
03-04-2020, 12:14 PM
I figure if the Kokanee aren't biting or bite so well that I limit out quickly, I would try for bull trout this Saturday. I have a little downrigger that I'm trying for the first time also on Saturday.
With it still being quite early in the season, what would be the best way to try and target them. I have wedding bands, couple Dodgers, some flat fish, some big and small spoons, different bait as well.
I am in a 12ft Jon boat with a 30lb trolling motor so I'll be staying near the south of the lake.

I am unable to find much information on these bull trout. Couple old threads on various forums which mostly debate whether there are lake trout in Alouette. I have no interest in that debate. Just want some help to try and hook up with some bulls.

Looking forward to the info. Always lots of good information from all you guys.

Ekul246

walks with deer
03-04-2020, 12:47 PM
look for flowing water and use bait.

Dannybuoy
03-04-2020, 12:52 PM
Not specific to the lake but bull trout love to eat . Find the kokanee and they will be right below them . Good choices would be Lyman plugs or similar that imitate kokanee (5") black &white /silver , five of diamonds spoon , flasher with hoochie . 2.5 mph to 2.8mph . That's what works in most lakes . Other hot spots would be off points /structures

weatherby_man
03-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Few years back I had success on the far shore (looking from the launch) trolling up to the point where the lake kinda opens up and then back down south again. I was using a portable downrigger although I cant remember exactly what depth I was at, that portable only went down 50 ft or so I think I was probably down between 20-40? I think it was later in spring, maybe April that time, and I believe we were using Lyman plugs in blue/silver.

ekul246
03-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Not specific to the lake but bull trout love to eat . Find the kokanee and they will be right below them . Good choices would be Lyman plugs or similar that imitate kokanee (5") black &white /silver , five of diamonds spoon , flasher with hoochie . 2.5 mph to 2.8mph . That's what works in most lakes . Other hot spots would be off points /structures

By flasher and hoochie do you mean my Kokanee set up with dodger and Kokanee hoochie? Do you think a 2"-3" flatfish would be too small? Trolled behind dodger?
So I should fish maybe 5-10ft lower than where I get the Kokanee bites?

ekul246
03-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Few years back I had success on the far shore (looking from the launch) trolling up to the point where the lake kinda opens up and then back down south again. I was using a portable downrigger although I cant remember exactly what depth I was at, that portable only went down 50 ft or so I think I was probably down between 20-40? I think it was later in spring, maybe April that time, and I believe we were using Lyman plugs in blue/silver.

Do you know what time of year that was?

ekul246
03-04-2020, 01:23 PM
I do have some 2/5oz spoons that are all 50/50 silver or gold and blue, or dark red and I forget what else.
My Dodgers are just the small 3 5/16" dodgers.

weatherby_man
03-04-2020, 03:07 PM
Do you know what time of year that was?

I believe it was early April? It wasn't a really memorable trip and I cant find a pic from that day so cant say 100% what the date was. I've also caught on other occasions quite a few rainbows on that lake trolling up the same shore, nothing big, but fun. I used to like going up there mid week in the spring when I could take a day off, few people.

Maps here may help you identify feeder creeks and ares you want to troll. https://www.anglersatlas.com/place/99569/alouette-lake/free-maps

Good2bCanadian
03-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Mepps Black Fury.
Find a creek inlet and fish the seams deep between flowing water and lake water.

The local lake I fish I have caught all my bulls on that lure.
Try various sizes.

Bubbacanuck
03-04-2020, 04:06 PM
Flowing water into the lake is where you want to be. If there is anything floating at the surface creating shade in the water, cast under it (like a log). Landed a nice 2’ bull trout with a simple wedding ring lure

tigrr
03-04-2020, 04:45 PM
Read the regs guy. Bull trout Char release in Alouette lake 2-8.
We can't keep bull trout here either.

Dannybuoy
03-04-2020, 09:44 PM
By flasher and hoochie do you mean my Kokanee set up with dodger and Kokanee hoochie? Do you think a 2"-3" flatfish would be too small? Trolled behind dodger?
So I should fish maybe 5-10ft lower than where I get the Kokanee bites? No , I meant the 11" flasher and a 4 or 5 inch hoochie but maybe the bull trout are smaller in that lake? In these bigger interior lakes 3 to 20 lbers.

ekul246
03-04-2020, 11:15 PM
Read the regs guy. Bull trout Char release in Alouette lake 2-8.
We can't keep bull trout here either.

I am fully aware of this but I'd like to try and hook into one at least

Brew
03-05-2020, 06:09 AM
We catch them across from the boat launch all the way up to gold creek. We use downriggers and spoons. 60feet has always been a good depth.
gold creek area we follow the contours of the shoal. We troll fairly slow. I catch them using salmon flashers and hootchies as well on other lakes but have not tried it in allouette but it should work there to. It’s been a while since I fished up there.
dont be surprised if you catch large bull trout. I have caught a couple 15lb bulls in there

ekul246
03-05-2020, 08:43 AM
We catch them across from the boat launch all the way up to gold creek. We use downriggers and spoons. 60feet has always been a good depth.
gold creek area we follow the contours of the shoal. We troll fairly slow. I catch them using salmon flashers and hootchies as well on other lakes but have not tried it in allouette but it should work there to. It’s been a while since I fished up there.
dont be surprised if you catch large bull trout. I have caught a couple 15lb bulls in there

I probaby won't go as far as Gold Creek between my little motor and the afternoon wind but hopefully I can hook into one across from the boat launch. What depth do you hook them at generally?

ekul246
03-09-2020, 10:11 AM
Didn't end up making it out. Will try in a few weeks

Brew
03-09-2020, 01:04 PM
This time of year we catch them between 30-60 feet. Green flashers and a white glow hootchie 4-5” should work. Use a hootchie that looks like a small Kokanee. They always have Kokanee in their bellies

ekul246
03-20-2021, 11:08 AM
This time of year we catch them between 30-60 feet. Green flashers and a white glow hootchie 4-5” should work. Use a hootchie that looks like a small Kokanee. They always have Kokanee in their bellies

The hoochie is 4"-5"?
And how big is your flasher?
I'll give this a try this year. Would love to hook a big one

ekul246
03-20-2021, 11:24 AM
I have 15lb fluorocarbon coated line. Will that be heavy enough for bulls if I also have a flasher on it?

ekul246
04-17-2021, 08:16 PM
So I went to Alouette today with the intention of trying for bulltrout after limiting out on kokanee. Dropped a crayfish trap in 22ft of water by a creek and dropped another one about 50ft away in 37ft of water. Then I had battery issues and very low charge and couldn't even run my depth finder because of it. Still managed to land three kokanee but it was a very slow day. BUT.......I managed to catch a bulltrout! It was in my crayfish trap!!!
I packed up and pulled the traps after about a 2.5hr soak. Pulled the 2nd trap first. Felt a bit of weight but didn't think anything of it because sometimes I mistake the weight of the trap for having crayfish in it (I have yet to catch any crayfish with them) and there was a freaking bulltrout in the trap! I was shocked! Must have liked the stank of the salmon flavoured can of catfood that I used as bait. It was about as long as the trap and I had a bit of a time getting it out. It really wanted the bait! Managed to get it out and swam off with no problems. What a beautiful fish! First time seeing one in person. Really want to land one on a rod now.
So anyway, I didn't think that the first bulltrout I would ever catch and the first one on Alouette Lake would be in a crayfish trap......unbelievable......

ekul246
04-17-2021, 08:17 PM
I also saw a guy coming back to his van from his boat with a huge fish in a clear bag when I was waiting in the launch line to get my boat out. I mean this thing was huge. Filled the whole bottom of the clear garbage bag. I asked him if it was a bulltrout. He nodded. So I mentioned that you can't keep them in Alouette. He then said it was a lake trout. I said, "Really?". "Yep. Up by the narrows"...........not sure about that one. Couldn't see it up close and he put it in his van and shut the door. Did have that hooked snout that they get (from what I have seen on Youtube) and maybe a kype on the bottom jaw. Could tell he was telling his wife that I had asked about the fish..... Though I have read debates online about whether there are lake trout in Alouette and a supposed stocking many years ago....I don't know.