PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the rut - Loon Lake area

pikey
10-09-2007, 04:19 PM
So, the first big deer hunting trip is coming up and I have Buck Fever!

Myself and my hunting buddy have been out on 6 or 7 day hunting trips, which has been useful to try and gain some skills but we haven't seen much in the way of deer, mainly Boston Bar and Hope areas.
Still have to put that first buck down.

We are heading up to Loon Lake on the 20th for the week and wan't to ask you guys what the best techniques are for the rut.

Our plan is to get out slow stalking game trail walking cuts. If nothing found by the end of the day then we plan to go to the area with the best sign and sit up at Dusk and the following morning, does this sound reasonable?

We got 9 days total and our plan is to hit Scottie creek, Hihum, Chasm in Region 3 and if no luck then to move on to region 5 to Gang Ranch, Empire Valley, 100 mile etc.

Any tips you guy can provide in helping put this first buck away would be much appreciated.

jjensen20
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
if there are hot Doe's in the area there will be bucks. Watching the doe's is one of my favorite methods of hunting the rut. I've been watching a group of doe's for an hour or so before a buck showed up. The rut should keep them moving most of the day so just keep your eyes open and do what you think is going to be most effective for that area.

Cheers

f350ps
10-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I take it that you are talking about Oct.20th? If so you're a little to early for the rut. You may find the odd one that's started but I'd wait a few weeks if a ruttin buck is what ya want. K

pikey
10-09-2007, 04:41 PM
yep I was talking about the 20th of October, I thought the rut would have started by then. We'll we got to go on that week, the time off is booked.
Region 3 goes to 4 pointers on 1st Nov too.

jimysharp
10-09-2007, 05:45 PM
scotty creek has been pounded hard already this year with hunters, hunting up there on the weekend ran into 5 different camps. I live in the area, so just a heads up.

good luck

pikey
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks Jimy, that's the sort of local info that I need.

Will
10-09-2007, 06:16 PM
October 20 is abit early for the "Rut" as stated.......
That really gets going in the areas you've mentioned from nov 1st through to the 15th and then some :wink:

Not to say Oct 20th isn't going to produce....the Bigger Bucks will be waiting in the shadows......plenty of Little fellas to be found however:smile:

o2fish2day
10-09-2007, 06:34 PM
bump! More info please.

pikey
10-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks Will, not looking for any trophies here, want to have a great experience and as a side benefit put some meat in the freezer.