PDA

View Full Version : The most important piece of backpacking equipment...

Would Rather Be Fishing
03-02-2020, 06:01 PM
Coffee! Every 4 years or so I revisit the way I deal with satisfying my coffee addiction while backpack hunting. I always hope to find “something better”. When in the truck, I use a percolator. When backpacking, I tried a variety of solutions and found most to be dissatisfactory... I can’t do instant, sorry if that sounds snobby, and - out of principle - I won’t go out with them buji stovetop espresso makers. But I need two cups in the morning and one around lunch. That’s a must!

Love the aero press coffee but it’s way too bulky!

what do you use?

Bustercluck
03-02-2020, 06:28 PM
I have a silicone pour over. I think it's made made by gsi and sold at atmosphere. A couple of #2 filters, some grounds, a jetboil and you're set.

I actually quit drinking coffee a couple of years ago just so I wouldn't have to make it in the morning. Most mornings I want to get up and go, but needing a coffee before I can do that was hindering my hunting. As a bonus I get less heartburn and I'm sleeping way better.

Bustercluck
03-02-2020, 06:31 PM
https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories/gear-by-activity/camp-hike/camp-kitchen/mugs-thermos/product/gsi-gourmet-pourover-java-set-332854284.html#332854284=332854354

This one. I bought it without the grinder kit for about $20

KodiakHntr
03-02-2020, 06:35 PM
Backpacking, you owe it to yourself to at least try a Starbucks Via. Try one at home.

upperleftcoaster
03-02-2020, 06:51 PM
the starbucks via is quite tolerable for "instant". i like the french roast, pretty dark. especially when space and weight are an issue. i do understand making space for good coffee though! priorities

could just go with cowboy coffee? then you don't need equipment haha
another similar option is turkish style coffee. very fine ground, mix with a bit of sugar. you just pour in the water to your mug with the grounds and let the mud settle for a couple minutes before drinking.

horshur
03-02-2020, 07:05 PM
MSR coffee filter. Single mug. Had one 16 years still good to go.

BeerMan
03-02-2020, 07:12 PM
This is what you want. My wife and I use this all the time. We have 2.
https://www.amazon.ca/Primula-PCBR-0146-Coffee-Buddy-Single/dp/B0087SPTLC

todbartell
03-02-2020, 07:47 PM
I have a press for my Jetboil, but am going to try these out soon

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0055/8150/4615/products/IMG_6901_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1568869718

whitlers
03-02-2020, 08:24 PM
Starbucks sticks are good enough for most people :p

boxhitch
03-02-2020, 10:05 PM
campfire, pot, coffee, ash, willow stir stick laid across on top to keep the froth from boiling over , Mmmmmm

Downwindtracker2
03-02-2020, 11:26 PM
Fifty years ago , I was backpacking with a group and used instant, one of the better freeze dried variety. Very unsatisfactory. Another more experienced backpacker made his coffee by just bringing water and grounds to boil. I mentioned it to my dad, and he said Cowboy Coffee and told me to just bring it to a boil and add cold water to settle the grounds.

boxhitch
03-02-2020, 11:55 PM
Best if you can simmer not boil, but that never seems to work over a fire
More often the Maker gets distracted and the volcano puts the fire out
a pinch of salt helps with the flavour

boxhitch
03-03-2020, 12:02 AM
Nescafe has some pretty good instant single sticks
Even some candy ones for the latte sippers

Drillbit
03-03-2020, 02:10 AM
If I had coffee every morning on a backpacking trip, I'd need a packhorse loaded with mountain-money.

My Dad is a coffee guy and just does the Loius Lamour "cowboy coffee"

Squamch
03-03-2020, 08:19 AM
I use via. It's not great, but it's better than no coffee.

Im pretty sure that Via is microground too, so it is actual coffee as well.

Downwindtracker2
03-03-2020, 10:29 AM
As the experienced backpack said, the weight saving compared to instant wasn't much. Coffee should never be boiled. Making coffee is like making whisky or gasoline , there is a critical temperature where the bitter acids are released . For cowboy coffee you only bring your pot to a boil then , remove. When you perk, that's the why behind slow perking. Also why they would put egg shells in coffee, to neutralize the acid. Egg shells are calcium , a base. Coffee is almost as important as beer.

Weatherby Fan
03-03-2020, 10:37 AM
I use the jetboil coffee press, it’s awesome, weighs nothing and I always have my jetboil in my daypack/backpack anyway so just need the coffee, I drink it black so no need for cream/sugar

Talltimber1
03-03-2020, 10:54 AM
Jetboil with press. But gonna try the instants this year.

Would Rather Be Fishing
03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
And THERE it is... was not aware of that option yet.... Ordering NOW......

I use the jetboil coffee press, it’s awesome, weighs nothing and I always have my jetboil in my daypack/backpack anyway so just need the coffee, I drink it black so no need for cream/sugar

Laurp99
03-03-2020, 11:51 AM
I enjoy a strong coffee in the morning. When hiking I try to keep my pack as light as possible, gone are the days when my pack was 65lbs for a 3-7 day trip.

Nowadays I just use the Via Starbucks sticks, and a healthy dose of Baileys to make it taste better. :)

Sako270wsm
03-04-2020, 09:15 PM
Fitness........,...

alberta hunter
03-05-2020, 06:27 AM
we use the GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip, not much weight to this

BigSlapper
03-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Best boots possible ... look after your feet!

KodiakHntr
03-05-2020, 08:51 PM
Fitness........,...

Best boots possible ... look after your feet!

Backpacking coffee thread.......

Ohwildwon
03-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Grind my own just before I head out and freezer bag it, then use this....

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5018-696/Ultralight-Java-Drip

nitro hunter
03-06-2020, 07:12 AM
My Dad and Uncles always made Cowboy Coffee,They said the secret to to having good tasting Coffee was you had to make it in a Tomato juice tin/can,Something to do with the tomato juice doing something to the steel making it taste better .I dunno, Can you even buy tomato juice in a can any more?

emerson
03-06-2020, 10:30 AM
As the experienced backpack said, the weight saving compared to instant wasn't much. Coffee should never be boiled. Making coffee is like making whisky or gasoline , there is a critical temperature where the bitter acids are released . For cowboy coffee you only bring your pot to a boil then , remove. When you perk, that's the why behind slow perking. Also why they would put egg shells in coffee, to neutralize the acid. Egg shells are calcium , a base. Coffee is almost as important as beer.

In the last couple years I’ve discovered coffee good enough to not need cream/sugar. Honestly pressing my own coffee at work and home has changed my life. Probably spend 2X on coffee than whiskey. I’m planning some basic flyin backpack hunts for myself and my late 40s+ relatives. We will shorten our hikes if that’s what it takes to have good coffee. I’m learning that living doesn’t have to be a constant death race. The JetBoil coffee setup sounds interesting. Of course sharing some tools amongst 3 hikers gives some flexibility too.

tigrr
03-06-2020, 09:06 PM
A lighter. If you can't start a fire your sol. 50 years going in the bush. The only thing I require is the grounds simmer for 10 minutes. Anything after that to me is irrelevant. Oh and I need sugar. 2 heaping spoons full of sugar in a 500ml/16oz cup.

Squamch
03-10-2020, 04:26 AM
A lighter. If you can't start a fire your sol. 50 years going in the bush. The only thing I require is the grounds simmer for 10 minutes. Anything after that to me is irrelevant. Oh and I need sugar. 2 heaping spoons full of sugar in a 500ml/16oz cup.

Holy cow! Don't forget your insulin and needles either!

albravo2
03-10-2020, 08:05 AM
I don't run without coffee. The stove is beside my bag and I light it as soon as I wake up. I really need two cups before I start hunting, so I like to start early.

I think a french press or stovetop espresso are probably the best options but I am happy with Starbucks Via. I'd try the Jetboil option but I use an MSR stove.

Nothing wrong with cowboy coffee but Via doesn't leave a mug (or teeth) that require a lot of cleaning.