PDA

View Full Version : Spring turkey

Jereky
02-29-2020, 11:24 PM
Hi all. Looking into taking my boys out after Turkeys this spring in the EK. Never hunted them before so looking forward to it. I don’t live in the EK so I don’t get much chance to scout for them aside from family trips from the interior over to Cranbrook and seeing them along the highway. Anyone with tips or general knowledge to share would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

J.

bensonvalley
03-01-2020, 09:26 AM
Wasa area is good. Confirm quad access regulations though as I seem to recall there are restrictions.

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-06-2020, 01:15 PM
-Scouting before season is key, if you can find sign or hear birds at least you know where they are. If you can't locate birds or don't know where they are simply get up early(5amish) and when you hear ravens/crows talking you know turkeys should be talking(hike until you hear a turkey). See if you can locate them or their general area you're in business. If you do find where they are but can't get them to play ball GO BACK the next day. turkeys do the same thing pretty much everyday at that part of the year. I got busted one morning, went back the next day and the group of jakes came right in as last time but this time I was ready.
-Face masks are your friend, be covered head to toe in camo and DO NOT MOVE turkeys have incredible eye sight.
-Get there early preferably the day before you want to hunt so you can see whats going on(with people and birds).
-LISTEN at sunset, sometimes the toms will talk a little bit and you can locate them for the next morning!
-Ticks wise I personally have not had too many on me but that's purely because I spray down with permethrin spray(READ THE INSTRUCTIONS some sprays state to NOT spray on clothing that will be against the skin, follow this).
-Slate calls and Box calls are my personal favorites don't worry about diaphragm calls if your new, focus on hunting location since that is much more important. I called in a tom my first day turkey hunting ever and it was on a cheap box call and I had almost no idea what I was doing.
- On that note DO NOT CALL TO MUCH! number 1 thing new people do that they shouldn't, call once if you get a response wait at least 15-20 mins. That Tom knows where you are and is going to usually come in slow. It can take an hour to get a tom to come in 100 yards. Remember you are trying to get this Tom to go against the normal practice of mating. normally he calls and SHE comes to him so playing hard to get can help. I've had bird stay in the same spot gobbling over and over and only until I learned to make them look for me was I able to kill birds.
-Terrain, generally speaking turkeys if nervous prefer to walk UP hill rather than down.(they can turn and kick off the hill side to fly away)
-Weather effects birds, birds can be moody and day to day change how much they call but generally I have noticed ESPECIALLY when it's foggy or poor visibility they won't talk at all. Don't get frustrated, they're around just not talking.
-Decoys are a must in my eyes, go ahead and get the super cheap foam ones they work just fine and actually are much easier to pack.I run just a lone hen as I've had jakes get super nervous around jake decoys and not come in. Decoys are meant so that the Tom has something to focus on, if you don't have one he will be looking around a lot more meaning he can spot you or you movement a lot easier. Place decoys about 20 yards from you and have the backside facing the direction you want him to come in. I've heard, in the morning that Toms like to come in with the sun at their back because it will show off their tail feathers to a mate. place it in a way so that he has to walk PAST you, I also like to have a tree he will go by and that allows me to pull my gun up.
- If you're going to get another call I would get a crow call as a locator call. They are natural enemies and crows/ravines have done wonders for me while running and gunning. I use a simple roll out blind and a butt pad with my pack which has 1 foam hen rolled up. if you use a locator call or any call be in cover of some sort, bird can pop out of no where.
-Morning time is talking time, around 9-10ish hens go off to lay an egg so some birds will start talking again. I personally if I haven't heard anything like to run and gun to locate birds to set up on plus it's more exciting.
-Finally learn how to identify Morels and bring a bag to pick some, it's one of the best parts of turkey hunting because you don't have to go home empty handed. It's almost as fun as turkey hunting honestly and when the birds can't be found or heard it's a great way to stay positive!
-If you can't find birds or Morels, just shed hunt like I do. Might as well since you're out there.

Hope this helps and if you want any other tips feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help. Turkey hunting is wonderful, frustrating and incredibly challenging.....welcome to the long beard addiction

Bubbacanuck
03-06-2020, 01:55 PM
^^This guy is a turkey slayer! Take his advice, I did and it help me get my spring and fall turkey last year...Chris kills turkeys all over the states, so his experience shows in his comment.

avidnwoutdoorsman
03-06-2020, 02:18 PM
I kill birds in Canada too... problem is the bag limit is only one and I like hunting turkeys... so ya, I hunt the states too. Might have 7 or 8 states to hunt this year outside of BC...

nwalter
03-06-2020, 09:47 PM
I would love a chance to get out with an experienced turkey hunter