PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunt 2007

morris
10-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Well as unbeleivable as it may seem our group drew another shared hunt to 5-13a for moose this year. We had 2 moose draws and a doe draw and set out last Saturday am in order to drive up from Mission and get a camp set-up prior to the Monday (Oct1st) opening. There was six of us going up this year and were very excited about the week long venture.
It started out as a great trip but as we left Quesnel the skies were getting greyer and by the time we were at Sylvia's (on the way to Nazko) it was snowing to beat all hell. We drive down into our region and set up a camp on the 6200A road in about 4-5 inches of snow....we were hoping it wouldn't last all week...we had two wall tents and a set them up into a great camp....goona miss that place!

There were only three of us with moose tags as one of the draw holders couldn't make the trip and three of us with mulie tags and I also brought a bear tag in case I ran into one worthy of making into a rug! Sunday brought about slightly warmer weather and the snow began to melt but not before we got out for some scouting to see where the bulls were hanging out! Monday came and the opening of our draw...we beat the bush and the clear cuts hard but to no avail. We had some bulls answer a few calls but they were not interested enough to coem out and play. Tuesday was very similar.

Wednesday resulted in Mark dropping a nice bull and the rest of the day was spent dulling and sharpening knives! There may have been a few beers and rums drank too...can't recall too much after Moose was hanging! We'll just say it was a bit of a grey area! There was also a fairly large blackie spotted by Dan and Todd and they relayed the info and suggested that it may be the one I was after for a rug!

Thursday came with Todd and Glenn calling out a very nice bull and getting him on the ground...another day of back breaking work and in the evening I went looking for Mr. Bear. Glenn and I saw him but only briefly and was about 150 yards outside my limit with my .45/70 guide gun! Maybe tomorrow....

Friday morning saw Dan harvest his first ever animal after several years of trying. A spike mulie that may as well have been a 4 point trophy...it meant as much to all of us, but especially to Dan to finally get the monkey off his back! Well done buddy!!!

Friday afternoon Mark and I decided to go have a look for the bear again for the last day of the hunt...and it paid off....he was taken at about 150 yards with the .45/70 and dropped in his tracks....
I am super impressed with the bear and fully intend to make a rug out of him and he will be super tasting too as he has been feeding on a diet of blueberries for the last while. No stink at all ...should be good!

We had an excellent trip...with some grouse thrown in for good measure! The food and the drinks(especially Skipper's hot rums) were as outstanding as the company and I know I look forward to next year already!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/521181.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/521182.jpg

pupper
10-08-2007, 10:25 PM
That bottom picture with all the happy hunters is what hunting is about!!
Look at the happiness :)

Phil
10-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Nice going on all the game!! Congrats to all!

Will
10-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Awesome ! Great looking Fall Bear too:-D

Steeleco
10-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Well done all. Great read.

Paulyman
10-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Nice work guys,happy you guys had a great trip

Wildman
10-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Right on way to go guys!

browningboy
10-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Looks like some good memories were made, way to go!

Elkhound
10-09-2007, 09:23 AM
very well done guys